Switching Palms and computers - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Switching Palms and computers - Palmtop ; I've had my M515 for years but the Vista compatible software won't work with that Palm. I still have my XP computer and have been hot synching on that. I just got a TX, which I will be able to ...

  1. Switching Palms and computers

    I've had my M515 for years but the Vista compatible software won't work
    with that Palm. I still have my XP computer and have been hot synching
    on that.

    I just got a TX, which I will be able to hot sync on my Vista computer.
    Now the trick is figuring out how to make the switch.

    I hot synched my M515 on the XP computer (Palm Desktop 4.1.4) and then
    tried to copy the files over to the TX. Oops.... error message, messed
    up Palm Desktop until I rebooted and the TX went into a loop that was
    next to impossible to stop (I couldn't believe how long I had to hold the
    button in!)

    I have Palm Desktop v4.2 on the Vista (I *hate* Vista -it won't let me
    run that as a user - I have to select "Run as Administrator" and I can
    only change the hot sync settings if I go into my Administrator account,
    but that's another story).

    My understanding is that the M515 won't hot synch under that version, but
    I may be reading the Palm page wrong.

    So what can I move over from the XP computer to the Vista computer so I
    can hot sync? (I'm on a home network so moving things is easy).

    I know I'll have to reinstall my third-party apps (and one at a time,
    making sure each one works on the TX)

    Vista is going to stuff anything I hot synch into the stupid Virtual
    Store if Palm is installed to c:\Program Files so I installed it to c:
    \Palm.

    Suggested needed!

    Thanks,
    Sherry

  2. Re: Switching Palms and computers

    On Dec 20, 12:16*pm, Sherry
    wrote:
    > I've had my M515 for years but the Vista compatible software won't work
    > with that Palm. *I still have my XP computer and have been hot synching
    > on that.
    >
    > I just got a TX, which I will be able to hot sync on my Vista computer. *
    > Now the trick is figuring out how to make the switch.
    >
    > I hot synched my M515 on the XP computer (Palm Desktop 4.1.4) and then
    > tried to copy the files over to the TX. *Oops.... error message, messed
    > up Palm Desktop until I rebooted and the TX went into a loop that was
    > next to impossible to stop (I couldn't believe how long I had to hold the
    > button in!)
    >
    > I have Palm Desktop v4.2 on the Vista (I *hate* Vista -it won't let me
    > run that as a user - I have to select "Run as Administrator" and I can
    > only change the hot sync settings if I go into my Administrator account,
    > but that's another story).
    >
    > My understanding is that the M515 won't hot synch under that version, but
    > I may be reading the Palm page wrong.
    >
    > So what can I move over from the XP computer to the Vista computer so I
    > can hot sync? (I'm on a home network so moving things is easy).
    >
    > I know I'll have to reinstall my third-party apps (and one at a time,
    > making sure each one works on the TX)
    >
    > Vista is going to stuff anything I hot synch into the stupid Virtual
    > Store if Palm is installed to c:\Program Files so I installed it to c:
    > \Palm.
    >
    > Suggested needed!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sherry

    Sorry, I don't have any answers to your problems. But it makes sense
    that you'd have them. Gates and M$ have been sabotaging competing
    software and OS's for years. I wouldn't be the least surprised if
    Vista is designed not to be compatible with Palm devices, which are
    competitors to Windoze Mobile. If they can't develop a competant
    competitor, they can sure sabotage the competition with their OS!

+ Reply to Thread