TX SMTP problem - Palmtop

This is a discussion on TX SMTP problem - Palmtop ; Got a nice TX that receives POP3 (ISP is comcast.net) email fine on my home wifi network and when travelling using a public wifi (hotel, Mickey D's etc.). But I can only send emails via SMTP when I am on ...

  1. TX SMTP problem

    Got a nice TX that receives POP3 (ISP is comcast.net) email fine on my home
    wifi network and when travelling using a public wifi (hotel, Mickey D's
    etc.). But I can only send emails via SMTP when I am on my home wifi.

    When trying to sending SMTP email on a public wifi, I get error message
    about not being able to connect. FWIW, sending and receiving works fine from
    my notebook computer on home wifi network and when travelling-- so it's not
    an ISP issue.

    Ideas to fix?

  2. Re: TX SMTP problem

    Piso Mojado wrote:
    >wifi network and when travelling using a public wifi (hotel, Mickey D's
    >etc.). But I can only send emails via SMTP when I am on my home wifi.

    MOST don't allow relay to prevent spam. Get a gmail account and use the gmail smtp. It uses pw userid and works great.
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  3. Re: TX SMTP problem

    "Gil Baron" wrote in message
    Piso Mojado wrote:
    >wifi network and when travelling using a public wifi (hotel, Mickey D's
    >etc.). But I can only send emails via SMTP when I am on my home wifi.

    MOST don't allow relay to prevent spam. Get a gmail account and use the
    gmail smtp. It uses pw userid and works great.
    --

    Hmmm-- OK, but how is it that I can send OK from several different notebook
    computers I travel with?

  4. Re: TX SMTP problem

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:20:18 -0500, "Piso Mojado" wrote:

    >"Gil Baron" wrote in message
    >Piso Mojado wrote:
    >>wifi network and when travelling using a public wifi (hotel, Mickey D's
    >>etc.). But I can only send emails via SMTP when I am on my home wifi.

    >MOST don't allow relay to prevent spam. Get a gmail account and use the
    >gmail smtp. It uses pw userid and works great.
    >--
    >
    >Hmmm-- OK, but how is it that I can send OK from several different notebook
    >computers I travel with?

    Are you using some kind of VPN tunnel, etc. to access your office
    email from the laptops and sending via those servers?

    Gil is correct in that most servers won't allow relaying, so there
    must be something different in the way you are sending mail from your
    laptop vs. the Palm.

  5. Re: TX SMTP problem

    In article ,
    "Piso Mojado" wrote:

    > Got a nice TX that receives POP3 (ISP is comcast.net) email fine on my home
    > wifi network and when travelling using a public wifi (hotel, Mickey D's
    > etc.). But I can only send emails via SMTP when I am on my home wifi.
    >
    > When trying to sending SMTP email on a public wifi, I get error message
    > about not being able to connect. FWIW, sending and receiving works fine from
    > my notebook computer on home wifi network and when travelling-- so it's not
    > an ISP issue.

    Most likely your ISP is allowing SMTP access from your home connection
    without authentication, but it is requiring it from outside their
    network. This means if you don't have authentication set up it will
    work from home but not elsewhere. Check Comcasts support pages for
    details on setting up SMTP authentication and put that in your TX.
    Typically this involves putting in your UserID and password. But they
    may require just your basic UserID or UserID@comcast.net. Also there
    may be additional settings they require.

    --
    Clark Martin

  6. Re: TX SMTP problem

    I've settled the outgoing mail via smtp.com, works fine regardless the
    ISP - on the trip and at home. Just a couple of bucks per month and
    the smtp server connection and sending out mails problem is solved.
    http://www.smtp.com

  7. Smile Re: TX SMTP problem

    Quote Originally Posted by 07.44pm-at-gmail.com View Post
    I've settled the outgoing mail via smtp.com, works fine regardless the
    ISP - on the trip and at home. Just a couple of bucks per month and
    the smtp server connection and sending out mails problem is solved.
    http://www.smtp.com
    Real good service! Thanks! I had a lot of problem with outgoing mails because I use wi-fi and smtp.com helped me with my i-phone. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread