Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to older PalmPDAs? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to older PalmPDAs? - Palmtop ; Hello. It seems like there are a lot of problems with both hardwares and softwares. Like today, the buttons on screen and keypads are not so responsive. The software and OS' don't seem to be reliable (buggy). At first, I ...

  1. Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to older PalmPDAs?

    Hello.

    It seems like there are a lot of problems with both hardwares and
    softwares. Like today, the buttons on screen and keypads are not so
    responsive. The software and OS' don't seem to be reliable (buggy). At
    first, I thought it was a hardware issue so it was sent in before the
    one year warranty expired last month and after a month later of a
    replaced one, the PDA still has issues.

    Am I just being unlucky? Thank you in advance.
    --
    "The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the
    summer." --Proverbs 30:25 (Bible)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  2. Re: Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to older Palm PDAs?

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:35:12 -0800, Ant wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >It seems like there are a lot of problems with both hardwares and
    >softwares. Like today, the buttons on screen and keypads are not so
    >responsive. The software and OS' don't seem to be reliable (buggy). At
    >first, I thought it was a hardware issue so it was sent in before the
    >one year warranty expired last month and after a month later of a
    >replaced one, the PDA still has issues.
    >
    >Am I just being unlucky? Thank you in advance.

    I noticed that the hardware buttons on my Treo 680 aren't quite as
    responsive as with older PDAs but my Palm TX's buttons are similarly
    less responsive as well. There is also an occasional lag where my Treo
    680 just stops doing anything for a second or two -- my earlier Treos
    had this lag too but on the 680 it seems to happen more often.

    The software and OS on my 680 actually feel more reliable and less
    buggy to me. I say this having gone from a Treo 180g to a 270 to a 600
    and now to a 680 -- the 180g was horribly buggy and subsequent Treos
    have gotten less buggy so for that's progress. As for PDAs, I've gone
    from a Palm III to several different Visor models to a Tungsten E to a
    LifeDrive to a TX -- overall, I think that the TX is a nicely
    constructed basic PDA with nice, non-buggy software. The TX has
    several omissions which I miss from my LifeDrive, the File Browser and
    Drive Mode software would be very useful on my TX but are missing and
    sorely missed.

    I think that your experience is pretty typical but I find that once I
    have my device set up the way I want it, I find that its problems are
    less annoying to me.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net

  3. Re: Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to older Palm PDAs?

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:35:12 -0800, Ant wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >It seems like there are a lot of problems with both hardwares and
    >softwares. Like today, the buttons on screen and keypads are not so
    >responsive. The software and OS' don't seem to be reliable (buggy). At
    >first, I thought it was a hardware issue so it was sent in before the
    >one year warranty expired last month and after a month later of a
    >replaced one, the PDA still has issues.
    >
    >Am I just being unlucky? Thank you in advance.

    I noticed that the hardware buttons on my Treo 680 aren't quite as
    responsive as with older PDAs but my Palm TX's buttons are similarly
    less responsive as well. There is also an occasional lag where my Treo
    680 just stops doing anything for a second or two -- my earlier Treos
    had this lag too but on the 680 it seems to happen more often.

    The software and OS on my 680 actually feel more reliable and less
    buggy to me. I say this having gone from a Treo 180g to a 270 to a 600
    and now to a 680 -- the 180g was horribly buggy and subsequent Treos
    have gotten less buggy so for that's progress. As for PDAs, I've gone
    from a Palm III to several different Visor models to a Tungsten E to a
    LifeDrive to a TX -- overall, I think that the TX is a nicely
    constructed basic PDA with nice, non-buggy software. The TX has
    several omissions which I miss from my LifeDrive, the File Browser and
    Drive Mode software would be very useful on my TX but are missing and
    sorely missed.

    I think that your experience is pretty typical but I find that once I
    have my device set up the way I want it, I find that its problems are
    less annoying to me.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on
    a skateboard.
    - Seen on Slashdot

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net

  4. Re: Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to older Palm PDAs?

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:35:12 -0800, Ant wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >It seems like there are a lot of problems with both hardwares and
    >softwares. Like today, the buttons on screen and keypads are not so
    >responsive. The software and OS' don't seem to be reliable (buggy). At
    >first, I thought it was a hardware issue so it was sent in before the
    >one year warranty expired last month and after a month later of a
    >replaced one, the PDA still has issues.
    >
    >Am I just being unlucky? Thank you in advance.

    No.

    Palm is going down the tubes.

    Problems with power on buttons are common place on lots of the Treo's
    as well as the TX.

    Between **** product they are putting out and the Vista debacle, it's
    time to move on.

    I'm considering a move to probably the Blackberry. I say probably
    because I want to do some more evals of the ups and downs of going to
    Blackberry vs. Windows Mobile.

    I really hate to even consider Windows Mobile, but those seem to be
    the only real choices.

  5. Re: Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to older Palm PDAs?

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:35:12 -0800, Ant wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >It seems like there are a lot of problems with both hardwares and
    >softwares. Like today, the buttons on screen and keypads are not so
    >responsive. The software and OS' don't seem to be reliable (buggy). At
    >first, I thought it was a hardware issue so it was sent in before the
    >one year warranty expired last month and after a month later of a
    >replaced one, the PDA still has issues.
    >
    >Am I just being unlucky? Thank you in advance.

    No.

    Palm is going down the tubes.

    Problems with power on buttons are common place on lots of the Treo's
    as well as the TX.

    Between **** product they are putting out and the Vista debacle, it's
    time to move on.

    I'm considering a move to probably the Blackberry. I say probably
    because I want to do some more evals of the ups and downs of going to
    Blackberry vs. Windows Mobile.

    I really hate to even consider Windows Mobile, but those seem to be
    the only real choices.

  6. Re: Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to olderPalm PDAs?

    Li RM wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:35:12 -0800, Ant wrote:
    >
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> It seems like there are a lot of problems with both hardwares and
    >> softwares. Like today, the buttons on screen and keypads are not so
    >> responsive. The software and OS' don't seem to be reliable (buggy). At
    >> first, I thought it was a hardware issue so it was sent in before the
    >> one year warranty expired last month and after a month later of a
    >> replaced one, the PDA still has issues.
    >>
    >> Am I just being unlucky? Thank you in advance.

    > No.
    >
    > Palm is going down the tubes.
    >
    > Problems with power on buttons are common place on lots of the Treo's
    > as well as the TX.
    >
    > Between **** product they are putting out and the Vista debacle, it's
    > time to move on.
    >
    > I'm considering a move to probably the Blackberry. I say probably
    > because I want to do some more evals of the ups and downs of going to
    > Blackberry vs. Windows Mobile.
    >
    > I really hate to even consider Windows Mobile, but those seem to be
    > the only real choices.

    I had a T5 and a Nokia cellphone. I loved that T5! In my opinion the
    best Palm ever made.

    I wanted an all in one device, and waited for a better device than the
    Treo 650. It hasn't happened! Reluctantly I got a Windows Mobile. It's
    OK, not terrific!

    But I really pine for the simplicity and usability of the Palm user
    interface!

    What is happening about the Linux based models that are supposed to be
    coming out next year!?!? It's not that I care for Linux, per se, but
    Linux can multi task, where Palm OS couldn't. So If they use Linux as a
    base and fit the terrific Palm UI to it, I'll buy one tomorrow!!

  7. Re: Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to olderPalm PDAs?

    Li RM wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:35:12 -0800, Ant wrote:
    >
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> It seems like there are a lot of problems with both hardwares and
    >> softwares. Like today, the buttons on screen and keypads are not so
    >> responsive. The software and OS' don't seem to be reliable (buggy). At
    >> first, I thought it was a hardware issue so it was sent in before the
    >> one year warranty expired last month and after a month later of a
    >> replaced one, the PDA still has issues.
    >>
    >> Am I just being unlucky? Thank you in advance.

    > No.
    >
    > Palm is going down the tubes.
    >
    > Problems with power on buttons are common place on lots of the Treo's
    > as well as the TX.
    >
    > Between **** product they are putting out and the Vista debacle, it's
    > time to move on.
    >
    > I'm considering a move to probably the Blackberry. I say probably
    > because I want to do some more evals of the ups and downs of going to
    > Blackberry vs. Windows Mobile.
    >
    > I really hate to even consider Windows Mobile, but those seem to be
    > the only real choices.

    I had a T5 and a Nokia cellphone. I loved that T5! In my opinion the
    best Palm ever made.

    I wanted an all in one device, and waited for a better device than the
    Treo 650. It hasn't happened! Reluctantly I got a Windows Mobile. It's
    OK, not terrific!

    But I really pine for the simplicity and usability of the Palm user
    interface!

    What is happening about the Linux based models that are supposed to be
    coming out next year!?!? It's not that I care for Linux, per se, but
    Linux can multi task, where Palm OS couldn't. So If they use Linux as a
    base and fit the terrific Palm UI to it, I'll buy one tomorrow!!

  8. Re: Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to older Palm PDAs?

    On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:57:26PM -0500, Li RM wrote:

    > Between **** product they are putting out and the Vista debacle, it's
    > time to move on.

    What is this Vista debacle?

    --
    David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

    Googling for "Swedish lizard overlord" gives
    this sig as the first result.

    WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU, EH? EH?

  9. Re: Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to older Palm PDAs?

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 18:43:08 +0000, David Cantrell
    wrote:

    >On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:57:26PM -0500, Li RM wrote:
    >
    >> Between **** product they are putting out and the Vista debacle, it's
    >> time to move on.

    >What is this Vista debacle?

    The Palm Desktop and conduits don't always work with Windows Vista and
    Palm's updated Desktop and conduits are still in beta (but available
    to anyone). For some, this is nothing short of a "debacle." I for one
    have trouble getting too worked up over it. Vista isn't particularly
    popular yet and the beta Desktop and conduits seem to work pretty well
    on it anyway, so it doesn't seem like a huge deal.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on
    a skateboard.
    - Seen on Slashdot

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net

  10. Re: Does anyone notice Treo 680 isn't that good compared to older Palm PDAs?

    On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 09:18:46PM -0600, Zombie Elvis wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 18:43:08 +0000, David Cantrell
    > wrote:
    > >On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:57:26PM -0500, Li RM wrote:
    > >> Between **** product they are putting out and the Vista debacle, it's
    > >> time to move on.

    > >What is this Vista debacle?

    > The Palm Desktop and conduits don't always work with Windows Vista and
    > Palm's updated Desktop and conduits are still in beta (but available
    > to anyone). For some, this is nothing short of a "debacle." I for one
    > have trouble getting too worked up over it. Vista isn't particularly
    > popular yet and the beta Desktop and conduits seem to work pretty well
    > on it anyway, so it doesn't seem like a huge deal.

    Oh. The usual internet pissing and whining then.

    --
    David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

    Hail Caesar! Those about to vi ^[ you!

+ Reply to Thread