Docs To Go 8 and Vista? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Docs To Go 8 and Vista? - Palmtop ; Email support from Dataviz for my version of D2G has ended so I can't ask them, and their support pages don't say: Is Docs To Go v8 (8.003) compatible with Vista? If not, is the current version still compatible with ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    Email support from Dataviz for my version of D2G has ended so I can't
    ask them, and their support pages don't say:

    Is Docs To Go v8 (8.003) compatible with Vista? If not, is the current
    version still compatible with Office 2000?

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "We believe in opportunity for all Americans: Rich and poor, black and
    white...." George W. Bush, From a speech at Bob Jones Univ., in South
    Carolina, 2/2/00

  2. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >Email support from Dataviz for my version of D2G has ended so I can't
    >ask them, and their support pages don't say:
    >
    >Is Docs To Go v8 (8.003) compatible with Vista?

    Short answer, no.

    >If not, is the current
    >version still compatible with Office 2000?

    Off hand it should be, although I haven't done any real testing. The
    file formats for DOC and XLS, anyway, haven't changed significantly.

    There is a free trial available, that would probably be the easiest way
    to answer this one.

  3. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:

    > >Is Docs To Go v8 (8.003) compatible with Vista?

    > Short answer, no.

    I was afraid of that.

    > >If not, is the current
    > >version still compatible with Office 2000?

    > Off hand it should be, although I haven't done any real testing. The
    > file formats for DOC and XLS, anyway, haven't changed significantly.

    But they have changed. I know that they have indeed removed support
    for some older versions of Office, which is why I asked.

    > There is a free trial available, that would probably be the easiest way
    > to answer this one.

    In theory, yes. In practice, not so much. My primary system is still
    XP, and I would only be using this in Vista occasionally.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Next time, my way." (note from Correlilmurzon, B5 "Acts of
    Sacrifice")

  4. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    In message <08dkj3l2uie79rar95e61j6ghir3fkhden@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >In theory, yes. In practice, not so much. My primary system is still
    >XP, and I would only be using this in Vista occasionally.

    I don't actually try to synchronize documents at all anymore, at this
    point I just use DTG10 in native format (only native format is supported
    now) and move files around using an SD card.

    This works great, for the most part, and far better then synching ever
    did.

  5. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:

    > >In theory, yes. In practice, not so much. My primary system is still
    > >XP, and I would only be using this in Vista occasionally.

    > I don't actually try to synchronize documents at all anymore, at this
    > point I just use DTG10 in native format (only native format is supported
    > now) and move files around using an SD card.

    Ie, no more "Docs2Go" format? If so, then GOOD! I'm always fighting
    with that when I add a new file to the sync list.

    > This works great, for the most part, and far better then synching ever
    > did.

    I prefer synching. It's a set-and-forget thing.

    I'm now waiting on a response from Chapura re: PM-XT 3.x and Vista. I
    expect that they'll say it's not compatible too, but I want to check
    first.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Democracies do not remain democracies for long if elected leaders use
    undemocratic methods."- Colin Powell, 4/18/02

  6. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >Ie, no more "Docs2Go" format? If so, then GOOD! I'm always fighting
    >with that when I add a new file to the sync list.

    Amen. The DTG format was a good idea when it was first developed, but
    it's just not needed on modern devices (with far more powerful CPUs, and
    available memory measured in MB or GB rather then KB)

    >I prefer synching. It's a set-and-forget thing.

    In general, I'd agree. In practice, I wasn't really wow'd by DTG's
    sync, I had too many weird issues crop up.

    It wasn't as bad as Versamail or a couple others, but I wouldn't bet my
    livelihood on it working.

    >I'm now waiting on a response from Chapura re: PM-XT 3.x and Vista. I
    >expect that they'll say it's not compatible too, but I want to check
    >first.

    Actually, this one does work -- Not sure whether it's supported or not,
    Chapura's support has gone down the tubes pretty severely as of late,
    but it's in the "Works for me" category.

    It's a shame, Chapura used to be a fantastic company to work with. I'm
    one of first dozen KeySuite buyers, and at one point I was the record
    holder for number of bug reports confirmed/reproduced/whatever on the
    KeySuite product.

    I still have a few rather annoying GUI quirks (which case data loss in
    some cases) that have gone un-fixed for over a year

    However, you must be very *very* careful to never let your Palm sync
    when Hotsync is running as an administrator. This can happen when you
    are installing a conduit and the installer restarts Hotsync, and it can
    cause some pretty amusing sync issues.

  7. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:11:49 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan
    wrote:
    >Is Docs To Go v8 (8.003) compatible with Vista? If not, is the current
    >version still compatible with Office 2000?

    I'm sorry, I don't know about v8 but I've been using v9 for several
    months with Vista and haven't encountered any problems. I've heard
    that there are issues with v10, so I've avoided upgrading for that
    reason.

  8. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:

    > >I prefer synching. It's a set-and-forget thing.

    > In general, I'd agree. In practice, I wasn't really wow'd by DTG's
    > sync, I had too many weird issues crop up.
    >
    > It wasn't as bad as Versamail or a couple others, but I wouldn't bet my
    > livelihood on it working.

    Good thing then that I don't. My main use of D2G is to have a copy
    of my RPG character sheets, in case the printed versions get lost or
    eaten by the game host's dog.

    > >I'm now waiting on a response from Chapura re: PM-XT 3.x and Vista. I
    > >expect that they'll say it's not compatible too, but I want to check
    > >first.

    > Actually, this one does work -- Not sure whether it's supported or not,
    > Chapura's support has gone down the tubes pretty severely as of late,
    > but it's in the "Works for me" category.

    They said upgrading was needed for Vista use, so I installed the
    current trial on my XP desktop. So far, I'm not seeing any difference.

    > However, you must be very *very* careful to never let your Palm sync
    > when Hotsync is running as an administrator. This can happen when you
    > are installing a conduit and the installer restarts Hotsync, and it can
    > cause some pretty amusing sync issues.

    Like what? My consol logins are Admin level.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Take my advice and go back to the time you came from. The future isn't
    what it used to be." (Amb. G'Kar, B5 "The Long Dark")

  9. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:
    >
    >> However, you must be very *very* careful to never let your Palm sync
    >> when Hotsync is running as an administrator. This can happen when you
    >> are installing a conduit and the installer restarts Hotsync, and it can
    >> cause some pretty amusing sync issues.

    >Like what? My consol logins are Admin level.

    Under Vista, you're only an administrator when you elevate (applications
    started with a UAC popup). The problem is that many installers will
    launch Hotsync under an administrator profile, rather then your own
    profile, which results in HotSync seeing a different (but similar) set
    of data.

  10. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:

    > >Like what? My consol logins are Admin level.

    > Under Vista, you're only an administrator when you elevate (applications
    > started with a UAC popup). The problem is that many installers will

    UAC has been disabled.

    > launch Hotsync under an administrator profile, rather then your own
    > profile, which results in HotSync seeing a different (but similar) set
    > of data.

    Oh, that's no biggie and is a standard hazard of any multiuser system.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Would you buy a used pocket dreadnought from this man?" (Miles
    Vorkosigan [Lois McMaster Bujold, "Brothers in Arms"])

  11. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:
    >
    >> >Like what? My consol logins are Admin level.

    >> Under Vista, you're only an administrator when you elevate (applications
    >> started with a UAC popup). The problem is that many installers will

    >UAC has been disabled.

    How unfortunate.

    >> launch Hotsync under an administrator profile, rather then your own
    >> profile, which results in HotSync seeing a different (but similar) set
    >> of data.

    >Oh, that's no biggie and is a standard hazard of any multiuser system.

    It's different in Vista though, because apps coexist on the same desktop
    but with different permissions, and in some cases, different views of
    what they think is the same file.

    Technically this was almost possible in previous versions using RUNAS,
    but Vista's virtualization of writes (which is what allows apps to think
    they're writing to Program Files, but not impact other users) adds an
    additional layer of complexity.

  12. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    > >> Under Vista, you're only an administrator when you elevate (applications
    > >> started with a UAC popup). The problem is that many installers will

    > >UAC has been disabled.

    > How unfortunate.

    Let me put it this way:

    Yes, computer, I'm absolutely ****ing sure I want that action I
    just told you to take to happen!

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Would you buy a used pocket dreadnought from this man?" (Miles
    Vorkosigan [Lois McMaster Bujold, "Brothers in Arms"])

  13. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >> >UAC has been disabled.

    >> How unfortunate.

    >Let me put it this way:
    >
    > Yes, computer, I'm absolutely ****ing sure I want that action I
    > just told you to take to happen!

    More importantly, it virtualizes changes to restricted areas of the
    drive (%systemroot%, Program Files, etc), which means that if something
    does go wrong, nothing outside your profile can be touched without your
    permission.

  14. Vista's UAC (Was: Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?)

    > >> How unfortunate.

    > >Let me put it this way:
    > >
    > > Yes, computer, I'm absolutely ****ing sure I want that action I
    > > just told you to take to happen!

    > More importantly, it virtualizes changes to restricted areas of the
    > drive (%systemroot%, Program Files, etc), which means that if something
    > does go wrong, nothing outside your profile can be touched without your
    > permission.

    Can you say "over compensation"?

    I understand WHY UAC is there. It's just too aggressive to the point
    of uselessness. I'm a reasonably experienced PC user, and I maintain a
    reasonable level of paranoia about what does and does not happen on my
    system. But it got to the point where I wasn't even looking at the UAC
    confirmation any more, I was just clicking "Allow" because they were
    popping up so damn often.

    This is wildly off topic now.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "The Superior Person's Book Of Words", by Peter Bowler: DEFICIT
    FINANCING: A method of disproving the Micawber theory of budgetary
    financing, by achieving an annual expenditure higher than annual
    income. The technique seems to be restricted, for no apparent reason,
    to national governments.

  15. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    Slam wrote:
    >I'm sorry, I don't know about v8 but I've been using v9 for several
    >months with Vista and haven't encountered any problems. I've heard
    >that there are issues with v10, so I've avoided upgrading for that
    >reason.

    On Vista they all suck. Programmers are lazy and refuse to follow the rules which is what lead to the only partially successful KLUDGE of virtualization in the first place.
    VISTA-XP APPICATIONS combo is a hopless case.
    The change of the sound device interface API is the other side where the fault is entirely that of Microsoft.
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  16. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:17:45 GMT, Gil Baron wrote:

    >Slam wrote:
    >>I'm sorry, I don't know about v8 but I've been using v9 for several
    >>months with Vista and haven't encountered any problems. I've heard
    >>that there are issues with v10, so I've avoided upgrading for that
    >>reason.

    >On Vista they all suck. Programmers are lazy and refuse to follow the rules which is what lead to the only partially successful KLUDGE of virtualization in the first place.
    >VISTA-XP APPICATIONS combo is a hopless case.
    >The change of the sound device interface API is the other side where the fault is entirely that of Microsoft.

    I use an app called "Card Reader", which allows your SD card to be
    seen simply as another external card. It makes little work of moving
    Word .doc files to the card and as others have mentioned, it's a
    reasonable way to move data.

    I'm not sure how much of a fan you are of other Dataviz apps, but I
    am.

    Passwords Plus works under Vista, but you have to manually move the
    data pdb from your machine to the PDA, so it's a manual sync and in
    one direction at a time. Note that Dataviz doesn't mention this is
    doable on their site - they only support running it on your Vista box.
    But I use it like this and it works fine.

    Smartlist to Go is dead in the water right now, as is Beyond Contacts.

    Palm has ****ed it all.

    No, I don't buy the bull**** that it's Microsoft's fault. I would
    except that Palm hasn't done **** in years to its OS. Additionally,
    lots of competing companies have Vista ready apps out or had them out
    soon after Vista's release.

    Be wary of Vista if you rely on lots of Palm integration with your
    data.

    The Palm 6.2 beta works, sort of, but I've had issues with Vista
    "losing" my Palm drivers, things of that nature.

    You might want to run Vista in a VM and test how well your data ports.
    I have taken a major bite on the ass by losing some important apps.

    I suspect my problems don't amount to **** next to companies like
    Dataviz whose bread and butter is dependent on Palm for producing a
    working conduit for their apps.

    I've been in a Palm world for a long time, but I am seriously
    considering a move to RIM and the Blackberry, as 3rd party application
    development seems to be taking off pretty well now.

    I know there is Windows Mobile, but I think I'd really have to slap
    the **** out of myself in order to go there.

    Cheers.

  17. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Li RM said:

    > I use an app called "Card Reader", which allows your SD card to be
    > seen simply as another external card. It makes little work of moving
    > Word .doc files to the card and as others have mentioned, it's a
    > reasonable way to move data.

    The problem as I see it with using Card Reader to copy the files to the
    PDA is that in order for D2G on the Palm to see it, don't you have to
    set it to scan the card for files it can open? By syncing the docs, it
    already knows what's there and that option can be disabled to seriously
    decrease the amount of time it takes to start up the program.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #208.
    Members of my Legion of Terror will attend seminars on Sensitivity
    Training. It's good public relations for them to be kind and courteous
    to the general population when not actively engaged in sowing chaos and
    destruction.

  18. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:51:14 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan
    wrote:

    >Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Li RM said:
    >
    >> I use an app called "Card Reader", which allows your SD card to be
    >> seen simply as another external card. It makes little work of moving
    >> Word .doc files to the card and as others have mentioned, it's a
    >> reasonable way to move data.

    >The problem as I see it with using Card Reader to copy the files to the
    >PDA is that in order for D2G on the Palm to see it, don't you have to
    >set it to scan the card for files it can open? By syncing the docs, it
    >already knows what's there and that option can be disabled to seriously
    >decrease the amount of time it takes to start up the program.

    Yes, you do have to do a scan to get DtG to see the files, but that
    can be done manually. Strictly from the standpoint of DtG, it's
    probably easier to sync the files.

    I've run into problems, though when I've had to rely on DtG to sync
    files and then had to do a reinstall for whatever reason. DtG can't
    create a list of files it has synced, so I've had to rely on screen
    caps to know what is being synced prior to a reinstall. It's one
    feature I would like to see them implement (export and import list of
    synced files or something along those lines).

    Card Reader is a handy app from many other standpoints, though -
    moving .mp3's or other .pdb's (like the aforementioned Passwords Plus
    data file). Or moving .pdf's. Or moving standard Palm DOC files. This
    is especially true for those who are living on a Vista box where the
    Palm beta is suspect (IMO) in handling this all correctly.

    I think I paid 10 bucks for it when I got it. I'm not sure of the
    price now.

    Probably the best 10 bucks I've ever spent on a utility.

    YMMV.

  19. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Li RM said:

    > Card Reader is a handy app from many other standpoints, though -
    > moving .mp3's or other .pdb's (like the aforementioned Passwords Plus
    > data file). Or moving .pdf's. Or moving standard Palm DOC files. This
    > is especially true for those who are living on a Vista box where the
    > Palm beta is suspect (IMO) in handling this all correctly.
    >
    > I think I paid 10 bucks for it when I got it. I'm not sure of the
    > price now.

    Oh, I definitely agree there, I've got Card Reader, too.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend s lot of time
    thinking about myself, why I do things." - George W. Bush, Jun 4, 2002

  20. Re: Docs To Go 8 and Vista?

    On Nov 14, 8:11 am, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > Is Docs To Go v8 (8.003) compatible with Vista? If not, is the current
    > version still compatible with Office 2000?

    I don't have DTG v8, but I have managed to get the following set-up
    working successfully on a new PC:

    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Palm Desktop 6.2 Beta (v6.2.1)
    Palm T3
    Documents To Go 7.006
    Office Home and Student 2007

    The Palm website says 6.2 Beta is "not compatible" with the T3, but I
    didn't seem to have any problems getting it to work.

    I did come across one quirk, which is that after installing DTG, I
    would get the error "Method 'All' of object 'CommandBarControls'
    failed" every time I started Excel 2007. I fixed this by deleting the
    key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\E xcel\Options
    \OPEN from the registry.

    Oh yeah, and some time after this initial setup, DTG stopped syncing
    correctly. I had to reinstall DTG to get it syncing again. But so far
    it's still working...

    Anyway, in answer to your question, I don't know if 8.003 is
    compatible with Vista, but 7.006 seems to work, so there's a very good
    chance 8.003 will.

    And you can see for yourself on this page that Office 2000 is still
    supported: http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...techspecs.html

    Andrew

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast