Files on SD card not listing in Launcher (T|E) - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Files on SD card not listing in Launcher (T|E) - Palmtop ; I've got quite a few files in /PALM/Launcher on my 2GB SD card in my Tungsten E (not E2). Most of them are apps, but there are a few data files that supposedly don't live elsewhere, such as Adobe Reader ...

  1. Files on SD card not listing in Launcher (T|E)

    I've got quite a few files in /PALM/Launcher on my 2GB SD card in my
    Tungsten E (not E2). Most of them are apps, but there are a few data
    files that supposedly don't live elsewhere, such as Adobe Reader files.

    I find now that, when I add an app to the card, it doesn't show up in
    the Launcher. I can get to it using TealAlias, and TealMover shows it,
    but Launcher doesn't.

    I've tried deleting LAUNCHER.DAT and restoring pSysLaunchDB from a copy
    made after a hard reset, but the same files remain among the missing.

    What can I do to make the missing apps available?

  2. Re: Files on SD card not listing in Launcher (T|E)

    "Joe Sewell" wrote in message
    > I've got quite a few files in /PALM/Launcher on my 2GB SD card in my
    > Tungsten E (not E2). Most of them are apps, but there are a few data
    > files that supposedly don't live elsewhere, such as Adobe Reader files.
    >
    > I find now that, when I add an app to the card, it doesn't show up in
    > the Launcher. I can get to it using TealAlias, and TealMover shows it,
    > but Launcher doesn't.
    >
    > I've tried deleting LAUNCHER.DAT and restoring pSysLaunchDB from a copy
    > made after a hard reset, but the same files remain among the missing.
    >
    > What can I do to make the missing apps available?

    Do any of your apps on the card show up with the launcher? I wonder if the folder
    name is corrupt and not really Launcher?

    Adam

  3. Re: Files on SD card not listing in Launcher (T|E)

    "Adam Helberg" wrote:

    >"Joe Sewell" wrote in message
    >> I've got quite a few files in /PALM/Launcher on my 2GB SD card in my
    >> Tungsten E (not E2). Most of them are apps, but there are a few data
    >> files that supposedly don't live elsewhere, such as Adobe Reader files.
    >>
    >> I find now that, when I add an app to the card, it doesn't show up in
    >> the Launcher. I can get to it using TealAlias, and TealMover shows it,
    >> but Launcher doesn't.
    >>
    >> I've tried deleting LAUNCHER.DAT and restoring pSysLaunchDB from a copy
    >> made after a hard reset, but the same files remain among the missing.
    >>
    >> What can I do to make the missing apps available?

    >Do any of your apps on the card show up with the launcher? I wonder if the folder
    >name is corrupt and not really Launcher?
    >
    >Adam

    Agreed. I'd try reformatting the card, then create (not copy) new Palm\Launcher
    folders, and then copy your files into the new folder. Good luck

  4. Re: Files on SD card not listing in Launcher (T|E)

    On Nov 7, 6:37 pm, "Adam Helberg" wrote:
    > "Joe Sewell" wrote in message

    > > I've got quite a few files in /PALM/Launcher on my 2GB SD card in my
    > > Tungsten E (not E2). Most of them are apps, but there are a few data
    > > files that supposedly don't live elsewhere, such as Adobe Reader files.

    > > I find now that, when I add an app to the card, it doesn't show up in
    > > the Launcher. I can get to it using TealAlias, and TealMover shows it,
    > > but Launcher doesn't.

    > > I've tried deleting LAUNCHER.DAT and restoring pSysLaunchDB from a copy
    > > made after a hard reset, but the same files remain among the missing.

    > > What can I do to make the missing apps available?

    > Do any of your apps on the card show up with the launcher? I wonder if the folder
    > name is corrupt and not really Launcher?
    >
    > Adam

    Thanks for the info. I *do* see many of them, but there are some that
    I do not see. My current workaround is to use TealAlias to create a
    "shortcut" in RAM, but I'd prefer not having to do this. Right now
    it's to the point where I will sync an app to the card, and it doesn't
    show up in the launcher, even though the numerous other apps on there
    do show up.

    Is there a limit to the number of files the Launcher can handle on the
    card? There are 292 files in that folder, not all of which are apps
    (but are supporting data files for apps that don't support a separate
    folder in /PALM/Programs/...).

  5. Re: Files on SD card not listing in Launcher (T|E)

    "Joe Sewell" wrote in message
    news:1194613477.391269.172230@y27g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
    > On Nov 7, 6:37 pm, "Adam Helberg" wrote:
    >> "Joe Sewell" wrote in message

    >> > I've got quite a few files in /PALM/Launcher on my 2GB SD card in my
    >> > Tungsten E (not E2). Most of them are apps, but there are a few data
    >> > files that supposedly don't live elsewhere, such as Adobe Reader files.

    >> > I find now that, when I add an app to the card, it doesn't show up in
    >> > the Launcher. I can get to it using TealAlias, and TealMover shows it,
    >> > but Launcher doesn't.

    >> > I've tried deleting LAUNCHER.DAT and restoring pSysLaunchDB from a copy
    >> > made after a hard reset, but the same files remain among the missing.

    >> > What can I do to make the missing apps available?

    >> Do any of your apps on the card show up with the launcher? I wonder if the folder
    >> name is corrupt and not really Launcher?
    >>
    >> Adam

    > Thanks for the info. I *do* see many of them, but there are some that
    > I do not see. My current workaround is to use TealAlias to create a
    > "shortcut" in RAM, but I'd prefer not having to do this. Right now
    > it's to the point where I will sync an app to the card, and it doesn't
    > show up in the launcher, even though the numerous other apps on there
    > do show up.
    >
    > Is there a limit to the number of files the Launcher can handle on the
    > card? There are 292 files in that folder, not all of which are apps
    > (but are supporting data files for apps that don't support a separate
    > folder in /PALM/Programs/...).

    The card may have corrupt data and I agree with the advice that you should copy your
    data from the card to hard drive, reformat the card and restore your data to you
    card. Being especially careful to rebuild your Launcher folder name.

    Adam

  6. Re: Files on SD card not listing in Launcher (T|E)

    In article ,
    Jack Lake wrote:

    > "Adam Helberg" wrote:
    >

    > >"Joe Sewell" wrote in message
    > >> I've got quite a few files in /PALM/Launcher on my 2GB SD card in my
    > >> Tungsten E (not E2). Most of them are apps, but there are a few data
    > >> files that supposedly don't live elsewhere, such as Adobe Reader files.
    > >>
    > >> I find now that, when I add an app to the card, it doesn't show up in
    > >> the Launcher. I can get to it using TealAlias, and TealMover shows it,
    > >> but Launcher doesn't.
    > >>
    > >> I've tried deleting LAUNCHER.DAT and restoring pSysLaunchDB from a copy
    > >> made after a hard reset, but the same files remain among the missing.
    > >>
    > >> What can I do to make the missing apps available?

    > >Do any of your apps on the card show up with the launcher? I wonder if the
    > >folder
    > >name is corrupt and not really Launcher?
    > >
    > >Adam
    > >

    > Agreed. I'd try reformatting the card, then create (not copy) new
    > Palm\Launcher
    > folders, and then copy your files into the new folder. Good luck

    Just for the record, none of that solved the problem.

    From what I could tell, the T|E's launcher only saw the first 256 files
    in /PALM/Launcher. If I loaded *just* apps & mandatory support files, as
    long as it was under the 256 file limit, all was well; I could see
    everything with the Launcher, then I could add back the rest, and it
    worked ... until the next HotSync added a file to the directory, which
    would force the Launcher to rescan and hit the wall again.

    FWIW, I've just upgraded to a Treo 680, which doesn't show this problem
    at all.

+ Reply to Thread