Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi? - Palmtop ; Is there any app to synchronise the palm's time to an ntp server directly rather than using the host computer? -- -Toby Add the word afiduluminag to the subject to circumvent my email filters....

  1. Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    --
    -Toby

  2. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    On 01 Nov 2007, Toby Newman wrote:

    > Is there any app to synchronise the palm's time to an ntp server
    > directly rather than using the host computer?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=jim+rees+sntp

    I've been using it on my TX for quite a while. The only thing I can't
    figure out is how to get it to run automatically every time I establish
    a wifi connection ;-)

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  3. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    It is alleged that Toby Newman claimed:

    > Is there any app to synchronise the palm's time to an ntp server
    > directly rather than using the host computer?

    AtomClock:
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodID=125774

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Tips for the Innocent Bystander: 49. No matter how hooked you are on
    phonics, don't try to pronounce things you find inscribed in ancient
    artifacts.

  4. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 02:00:01PM +0000, Toby Newman wrote:

    > Is there any app to synchronise the palm's time to an ntp server
    > directly rather than using the host computer?

    I use netClock:

    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...e&prodID=40995

    I apologize if I offended you personally,
    I intended to do it professionally.
    -- Steve Champeon, on the nanog list

  5. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    David Cantrell wrote in
    news:20071102122109.GA10208@bytemark.barnyard.co.u k:

    > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 02:00:01PM +0000, Toby Newman wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any app to synchronise the palm's time to an ntp server
    >> directly rather than using the host computer?

    > I use netClock:
    >
    > http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...wsoftware&prod
    > ID=40995

    WorldMate (software included on the purchase of my T|X)

  6. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    On 2007-11-02, David Cantrell wrote:
    > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 02:00:01PM +0000, Toby Newman wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any app to synchronise the palm's time to an ntp server
    >> directly rather than using the host computer?

    > I use netClock:
    >
    > http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...e&prodID=40995

    Works really nicely - it would be better if it could automatically synch at 4:00am
    every night!

    --
    -Toby

  7. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    On 2007-11-01, David Tiktin wrote:
    > On 01 Nov 2007, Toby Newman wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any app to synchronise the palm's time to an ntp server
    >> directly rather than using the host computer?

    > http://www.google.com/search?q=jim+rees+sntp
    >
    > I've been using it on my TX for quite a while. The only thing I can't
    > figure out is how to get it to run automatically every time I establish
    > a wifi connection ;-)

    Whilst it works, it's not as intuitive as netClock, and doesn't support
    auto-synching on a schedule. Thank you, anyway.

    --
    -Toby

  8. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    It is alleged that Toby Newman claimed:

    > Works really nicely - it would be better if it could automatically synch at 4:00am
    > every night!

    The app I mentioned, AtomClock, can be set to sync automatically. It
    would do so at 3:30am.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #57. I will not try to make
    comrades run faster by yanking on their arms. I will instead advise
    them to stop turning around to look at the pursuing danger (rats, lava,
    etc.).

  9. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    In article <4devi39ah8p252kqu99snp134d0g4a8jum@gordol.org>,
    Jeffrey Kaplan writes:
    > It is alleged that Toby Newman claimed:
    >
    > > Works really nicely - it would be better if it could automatically synch at 4:00am
    > > every night!

    > The app I mentioned, AtomClock, can be set to sync automatically. It
    > would do so at 3:30am.

    It does. But it doesn't appear to offer the option to choose a time-server
    (like, to set it to use a time-server of my own), or to do the automatic
    setting at a time of day when it might be more reasonable to watch it happen.
    Both of those strike me as not unreasonable enhancements, although I have
    to admit it's the first app I've seen that offers automatic setting.
    --
    SAm.

  10. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    On 2007-11-01, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that Toby Newman claimed:
    >
    >> Is there any app to synchronise the palm's time to an ntp server
    >> directly rather than using the host computer?

    > AtomClock:
    > http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodID=125774

    That looks perfect, thank you.

    --
    -Toby

  11. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    It is alleged that Sam Nelson claimed:

    > > The app I mentioned, AtomClock, can be set to sync automatically. It
    > > would do so at 3:30am.

    > It does. But it doesn't appear to offer the option to choose a time-server
    > (like, to set it to use a time-server of my own), or to do the automatic

    Does it really matter? If the time server is on the net, then it
    should have the correct time. You also don't have to specify your time
    zone, AtomClock apparently gets that info from the Palm itself.

    > setting at a time of day when it might be more reasonable to watch it happen.

    I'm not saying it's an unreasonable request, but why do you need to see
    it happen if you're setting it to do so automatically?

    I have the clock on my Treo set by synching to my desktop when I
    hotsync. I have AtomClock installed for the occasional time when I
    have to pull the battery and I'm nowhere near my computer to re-sync.
    Pulling the battery on my Treo 680 causes the clock to go wonky, when
    it reboots the clock could be off anywhere from two minutes to several
    hours, in either direction.

    > Both of those strike me as not unreasonable enhancements, although I have
    > to admit it's the first app I've seen that offers automatic setting.

    You can always ask the developer for those enhancements!

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #146.
    If my surveillance reports any un-manned or seemingly innocent ships
    found where they are not supposed to be, they will be immediately
    vaporized instead of brought in for salvage.

  12. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:00:01, Toby Newman wrote:
    > Is there any app to synchronise the palm's time to an ntp server
    > directly rather than using the host computer?

    Though it's not its primary function, NVBackup can do this.

    http://handypalmstuff.sourceforge.net/

    "Features include:
    [...]
    * connect to atomic clocks on the Internet to set the time,
    either manually or after a scheduled backup"

    NVBackup's backup functionality has been fantastic and saved me a lot
    of trouble on several occasions.

    It lets you choose from a list of internet NTP servers, but doesn't
    seem to let you add custom entries to that list in the app. Though,
    since it's open-source (BSD license) if you're really determined you
    could add one.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
    Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

  13. Re: Synchronise time to an ntp server via Palm TX Wifi?

    On 2007-11-07, Alan Hoyle wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:00:01, Toby Newman wrote:
    >> Is there any app to synchronise the palm's time to an ntp server
    >> directly rather than using the host computer?

    > Though it's not its primary function, NVBackup can do this.
    >
    > http://handypalmstuff.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > "Features include:
    > [...]
    > * connect to atomic clocks on the Internet to set the time,
    > either manually or after a scheduled backup"
    >
    > NVBackup's backup functionality has been fantastic and saved me a lot
    > of trouble on several occasions.
    >
    > It lets you choose from a list of internet NTP servers, but doesn't
    > seem to let you add custom entries to that list in the app. Though,
    > since it's open-source (BSD license) if you're really determined you
    > could add one.

    Wow, it will also automatically upload a backup to an FTP server! I'll
    definitely check that out, thanks!

    --
    -Toby