AvantGo on SD card - Palmtop

This is a discussion on AvantGo on SD card - Palmtop ; I have a Tungsten E2. I hypothesize that it has a brain-dead memory manager. After any reasonable amount of surfing through news items, the Palm will take at least ten seconds to launch other applications, a behavior that can only ...

  1. AvantGo on SD card

    I have a Tungsten E2. I hypothesize that it has a brain-dead memory
    manager. After any reasonable amount of surfing through news items, the
    Palm will take at least ten seconds to launch other applications, a
    behavior that can only be cured by a soft reset. Therefore, I thought I
    would like to try putting AvantGo's document file on an SD card. I have
    been using Missing Sync for Palm OS. The Palm application AGConnect has
    a check box for "use card." If I check it, the sync fails and there is a
    message from the AvantGo conduit telling me that it cannot store to a
    card. This, at least, demonstrates that the check box has an effect.

    I saw in some of the help files from the Missing Sync that there was a
    way to store to a card. The "help" menu when Missing Sync is launched
    had the details, which involve going to preferences on the Palm and
    doing some settings under "network." After doing all this, plugging in
    the sync cable, but not pressing the button, there were two ways to sync
    that worked. I could go to AGConnect and hit the "Sync this Server"
    button, or I could launch AvantGo and then do the following:

    Adjacent to each listed channel is a check box. I can check the specific
    channels I want synchronized, that is, I can do a partial update. If
    none are checked, it is equivalent to checking all of them. Below the
    channels is a icon consisting of two curved arrows. Hitting this icon
    causes the "Sync this Server" again to appear.

    During synchronization, progress bars show for updates, removing old
    pages, and storing new ones. While each step is being carried out, the
    number of pages to transfer is shown, and the number already transferred
    is continually updated.

    So all of this is fine, except that the transfer goes to memory and not
    to the SD card, regardless of whether or not the "card" box in AGConnect
    has been checked.

    Any ideas, anyone?

    --
    To send me email, replace deadspam.com by acm.org

  2. Re: AvantGo on SD card

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:29:44 -0700, Herbert Kanner wrote:

    > Therefore, I thought I
    > would like to try putting AvantGo's document file on an SD card. I have
    > been using Missing Sync for Palm OS. The Palm application AGConnect has
    > a check box for "use card." If I check it, the sync fails and there is a
    > message from the AvantGo conduit telling me that it cannot store to a
    > card. This, at least, demonstrates that the check box has an effect.

    After much grief, wonky behavior, and advice from other people - I ditched
    AvantGo; went with Plucker and Sunrise. I miss online syncing -- but
    don't miss crashes, bizarre behavior, ancient software, etc etc etc ...

+ Reply to Thread