Charging indicator stays on - Palm TX - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Charging indicator stays on - Palm TX - Palmtop ; Help, I did something funky plugging in my charger and now the charging indicator (lightning bolt over the battery) stays on permanently even when not charging. The TX behaves fine otherwise except for this. No major effects other than I ...

  1. Charging indicator stays on - Palm TX

    Help, I did something funky plugging in my charger and now the
    charging indicator (lightning bolt over the battery) stays on
    permanently even when not charging. The TX behaves fine otherwise
    except for this. No major effects other than I think some stuff
    doesn't appear to switch off properly when the battery is low but it's
    /annoying/. I have tried hard-reset, recharging several times, letting
    the battery go flat but it's still there. Anyone got any ideas on
    this? I'm guessing maybe a charging circuit has been damaged and I
    would need to replace the motherboard but if anyone has a better way,
    I'd be pleased to hear.

    Rich
    --
    If you squeeze my lizard
    I'll put my snake on you

  2. Re: Charging indicator stays on - Palm TX

    On 2007-10-23 09:16:17 -0500, Richard Thomas said:

    > Help, I did something funky plugging in my charger and now the
    > charging indicator (lightning bolt over the battery) stays on
    > permanently even when not charging. The TX behaves fine otherwise
    > except for this. No major effects other than I think some stuff
    > doesn't appear to switch off properly when the battery is low but it's
    > /annoying/. I have tried hard-reset, recharging several times, letting
    > the battery go flat but it's still there. Anyone got any ideas on
    > this? I'm guessing maybe a charging circuit has been damaged and I
    > would need to replace the motherboard but if anyone has a better way,
    > I'd be pleased to hear.
    >
    > Rich

    Do you mean the charging indicator that appears when you tap the time
    indicator in the status bar at the bottom of the screen? If so, my TX
    has always done that - indicate the lightning bolt whenever the usb
    cable and/or charger cable are plugged in, regardless of the charge
    status. This is a year and a half old TX, never had any problems or
    issues with it. I thought that was normal behavior.
    --
    -----------------------------
    I only talk like that in the movies

  3. Re: Charging indicator stays on - Palm TX

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:47:22 -0500, Yoda wrote:

    >Do you mean the charging indicator that appears when you tap the time
    >indicator in the status bar at the bottom of the screen? If so, my TX
    >has always done that - indicate the lightning bolt whenever the usb
    >cable and/or charger cable are plugged in, regardless of the charge
    >status. This is a year and a half old TX, never had any problems or
    >issues with it. I thought that was normal behavior.

    This is without the cables plugged in. The indicator I am referring to
    is the one at the top of the screen (either mode). It does indicate to
    correct level of charge, it just seems to always think it is charging.
    Perhaps some zener diode has blown or something.

    Rich
    --
    If you squeeze my lizard
    I'll put my snake on you

  4. Re: Charging indicator stays on - Palm TX

    On 2007-10-23 19:56:51 -0500, Richard Thomas said:

    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:47:22 -0500, Yoda wrote:
    >
    >> Do you mean the charging indicator that appears when you tap the time
    >> indicator in the status bar at the bottom of the screen? If so, my TX
    >> has always done that - indicate the lightning bolt whenever the usb
    >> cable and/or charger cable are plugged in, regardless of the charge
    >> status. This is a year and a half old TX, never had any problems or
    >> issues with it. I thought that was normal behavior.

    > This is without the cables plugged in. The indicator I am referring to
    > is the one at the top of the screen (either mode). It does indicate to
    > correct level of charge, it just seems to always think it is charging.
    > Perhaps some zener diode has blown or something.
    >
    > Rich

    Oh. I hate it when those zeners explode like that.

    Just kidding. That's a wierd problem. Maybe just living with it for a
    while and seeing if anything bad happens is the thing to do. Othersise
    I'm as vexed as you by this.
    --
    -----------------------------
    I only talk like that in the movies

  5. Re: Charging indicator stays on - Palm TX

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:54:35 -0500, Yoda wrote:

    >Oh. I hate it when those zeners explode like that.
    >
    >Just kidding. That's a wierd problem. Maybe just living with it for a
    >while and seeing if anything bad happens is the thing to do. Othersise
    >I'm as vexed as you by this.

    Oh well. I was going to try adding a mini-USB connector to it so I
    will go ahead and see if I can get a used Palm with a broken screen or
    digitizer and I will install the mini-USB on that. At least if I
    manage to kill that motherboard, I'll still have my dodgy one to use.

    Rich
    --
    If you squeeze my lizard
    I'll put my snake on you