ptunes vs. ipod??? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on ptunes vs. ipod??? - Palmtop ; This may be a dumb question or a good question -- dunno. How does the sound of Ptunes running on a Treo 755 compare to the sound of an ipod or any other MP3 player? Via earphones or home speaker ...

  1. ptunes vs. ipod???

    This may be a dumb question or a good question -- dunno. How does the
    sound of Ptunes running on a Treo 755 compare to the sound of an ipod
    or any other MP3 player? Via earphones or home speaker system or car
    sound system over an FM converter?

    Mark

  2. Re: ptunes vs. ipod???

    In article <1192429660.992369.237740@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>,
    gmark wrote:

    > This may be a dumb question or a good question -- dunno. How does the
    > sound of Ptunes running on a Treo 755 compare to the sound of an ipod
    > or any other MP3 player? Via earphones or home speaker system or car
    > sound system over an FM converter?

    I don't know. You might try posting your question on a newsgroup called
    comp.sys.palmtops.pilot

  3. Re: ptunes vs. ipod???

    It is alleged that Shawn Hirn claimed:

    > > This may be a dumb question or a good question -- dunno. How does the
    > > sound of Ptunes running on a Treo 755 compare to the sound of an ipod
    > > or any other MP3 player? Via earphones or home speaker system or car
    > > sound system over an FM converter?

    > I don't know. You might try posting your question on a newsgroup called
    > comp.sys.palmtops.pilot

    He did. Check the headers.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "We cannot let terrorists or rogue nations hold this nation hostile or
    hold our allies hostile." - George W. Bush

  4. Re: ptunes vs. ipod???

    "Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
    > In article <1192429660.992369.237740@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>,
    > gmark wrote:
    >
    >> This may be a dumb question or a good question -- dunno. How does the
    >> sound of Ptunes running on a Treo 755 compare to the sound of an ipod
    >> or any other MP3 player? Via earphones or home speaker system or car
    >> sound system over an FM converter?

    > I don't know. You might try posting your question on a newsgroup called
    > comp.sys.palmtops.pilot

    Whooosh.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  5. Re: ptunes vs. ipod???

    "gmark" wrote in message
    news:1192429660.992369.237740@q3g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    > This may be a dumb question or a good question -- dunno. How does the
    > sound of Ptunes running on a Treo 755 compare to the sound of an ipod
    > or any other MP3 player? Via earphones or home speaker system or car
    > sound system over an FM converter?

    The answer depends on your hearing and the quality of the equipment you're
    using.

    My hearing is pretty duff, I can't tell the difference between a MP3 at 128
    kbs and a CD. I can tell the difference if the bitrate drops below 128 kbs.
    For me, I tend to listen to music where there's lots of background noise, so
    an insignificant difference in music quality makes no difference to the end
    user experience. At the gym it's noisy, in the car, it's noisy, at home
    it's quieter - but we don't have expensive speakers.

    My wife, on the other hand, has excellent hearing and can tell the
    difference between different bit rates, headphones, similar. She says that
    the iPod's music output is mediocre, like our T3s. You can tweak the sound
    using the graphical equaliser but this hurts battery life.

    She does, however, rate my Sony Ericsson Walkman-branded mobile 'phone and
    standard headphones for sound quality. Me? The sound is a bit richer than
    my T3, yes, but at the gym I can't tell the difference, it's too noisy
    elsewhere...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  6. Re: ptunes vs. ipod???

    gmark wrote:
    >This may be a dumb question or a good question -- dunno. How does the
    >sound of Ptunes running on a Treo 755 compare to the sound of an ipod
    >or any other MP3 player? Via earphones or home speaker system or car
    >sound system over an FM converter?
    >
    >Mark

    How it sounds is not the point. The capacity and UI are and nothing compares tothe IPOD here. The other problemcis multitasking ptunes sucks with many apps and it eats batteries
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  7. Re: ptunes vs. ipod???

    "Gil Baron" wrote in message
    gmark wrote:
    >This may be a dumb question or a good question -- dunno. How does the
    >sound of Ptunes running on a Treo 755 compare to the sound of an ipod
    >or any other MP3 player? Via earphones or home speaker system or car
    >sound system over an FM converter?
    >
    >Mark

    How it sounds is not the point. The capacity and UI are and nothing compares
    to the IPOD here. The other problemcis multitasking ptunes sucks with many
    apps and it eats batteries

    * * *

    For some people, how it sounds is everything, though.

    And for what it's worth, I find that the iPod's user interface is merely
    less fussy than other non-touch screen set ups. There's no easy solution to
    a few thousand songs and a tiny screen.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  8. Re: ptunes vs. ipod???

    In message <47144c84$0$21099$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk> "DervMan"
    wrote:

    >And for what it's worth, I find that the iPod's user interface is merely
    >less fussy than other non-touch screen set ups. There's no easy solution to
    >a few thousand songs and a tiny screen.

    Have you tried an iPod Touch?

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  9. Re: ptunes vs. ipod???

    "DevilsPGD" wrote in message
    > In message <47144c84$0$21099$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk> "DervMan"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>And for what it's worth, I find that the iPod's user interface is merely
    >>less fussy than other non-touch screen set ups. There's no easy solution
    >>a few thousand songs and a tiny screen.

    > Have you tried an iPod Touch?

    Nope. It's far too new for me to have had a play with it. Time will tell
    as to how good an improvement it is...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  10. Re: ptunes vs. ipod???

    In message <4715aaf4$0$8423$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk> "DervMan"
    wrote:

    >"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
    >> In message <47144c84$0$21099$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk> "DervMan"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>And for what it's worth, I find that the iPod's user interface is merely
    >>>less fussy than other non-touch screen set ups. There's no easy solution
    >>>a few thousand songs and a tiny screen.

    >> Have you tried an iPod Touch?

    >Nope. It's far too new for me to have had a play with it. Time will tell
    >as to how good an improvement it is...

    In terms of interface, it's fantastic. There are still some issues, and
    a number of bugs/flaws, but they're relatively minor (and more or less
    not related to music, but other features on the device)

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  11. Re: ptunes vs. ipod???

    DervMan wrote:

    >Nope. It's far too new for me to have had a play with it. Time will tell
    >as to how good an improvement it is...

    On the go playlists and the search feature are pretty good along with a little playlist planning in advance. ALL are vastly superior to ptunes.
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  12. Re: ptunes vs. ipod???

    "Gil Baron" wrote in message
    DervMan wrote:

    >Nope. It's far too new for me to have had a play with it. Time will tell
    >as to how good an improvement it is...

    On the go playlists and the search feature are pretty good along with a
    little playlist planning in advance. ALL are vastly superior to ptunes.

    * * *

    I'll have to take your word for it. Charlie can let me know if they've
    improved the music quality, too.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com