Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else? - Palmtop ; Hi all, I've recently been saddled with a Palm Treo 750 - singularly the worst phone I've ever used. It's so bad I've resorted to carrying my reliable Nokia dumbphone as well as this awful "Smartphone". Has anybody else suffered ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

  1. Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

    Hi all,

    I've recently been saddled with a Palm Treo 750 - singularly the worst
    phone I've ever used. It's so bad I've resorted to carrying my reliable
    Nokia dumbphone as well as this awful "Smartphone".

    Has anybody else suffered these problems?

    1) The phone locks up randomly and needs to be restarted at least once a
    day. Usually I'm navigating the menus and the buttons stop working,
    although it's done it to me in the middle of calls and when browsing
    emails too.

    2) At least one outgoing call in four fails. I can hear the person I've
    called, but they can't hear me. An insistent pinging tone is
    superimposed on top of the callee's voice. I can't hang the call up and
    usually resort to a soft reset or removing the battery to end the call.

    3) I cannot answer incoming calls before they are diverted to voicemail.
    The handset does not start to ring or vibrate until 5 or 10 seconds
    after the caller hears a ringing tone, and then spends about 10 or 20
    seconds slowly redrawing the screen. I assume this lag is imposed by
    Windows doing things behind the scenes. I cannot answer the call until
    Windows has re-drawn the screen which is usually after the caller hangs
    up or diverts to voicemail. To get around this problem I have diverted
    all incoming calls to my Nokia. I do not want my phone to ring for 30
    seconds before I get a chance to answer it, so increasing the divert
    timeout is not really an option.

    4) Often when I reset, a little voice begins to read my diary & tasks
    out to me. I haven't a clue why or how to stop it. There is no on screen
    display to accompany this, and I can't find any options that support
    this feature to cancel.

    5) Frequently the handset will be so busy doing stuff I can't see that I
    can't use it. I've just been testing some of the other problems listed
    above, and at the moment I cannot unlock the keypad. If I push the green
    button the display illuminates and tells me to push the centre button to
    unlock the keypad. If I push the center button, nothing happens and
    eventually the phone darkens the display and locks again as if nothing
    had happened.

    There are other problems with the UI and functionality; I'll be reading
    an email and it'll pop up a dialogue to tell me it's connecting to 3g
    and downloading mail. This dialogue diverts my keyboard focus and
    completely obscures whatever I'm trying to do at the time.

    Is this experience consistent with other users of the Treo 750, or do I
    just have a duff unit?

    Is this technology ready for serious use? I've lived without mobile
    email/diary/contacts etc so far, and would prefer to revert to something
    simpler and more reliable than become over dependent on a technology
    that's not ready for the real world yet. What are other people's
    experiences with other devices?

    Thanks for any input!

    Cheers,
    Andy.

  2. Re: Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

    Andy Lawson wrote:

    > I've recently been saddled with a Palm Treo 750 - singularly the worst
    > phone I've ever used. It's so bad I've resorted to carrying my reliable
    > Nokia dumbphone as well as this awful "Smartphone".


    Out of curiosity, 750p or 750w?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

    RonB wrote:
    > Out of curiosity, 750p or 750w?


    I don't know - how do I tell?
    I'm in Australia and the device was supplied by Telstra if that helps.

  4. Re: Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

    RonB wrote:
    > Out of curiosity, 750p or 750w?


    Under settings the phone tab reports the hardware version as P - is this
    what you meant?

  5. Re: Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

    In article <13grkvqd2698s72@corp.supernews.com>,
    Andy Lawson wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    > > Out of curiosity, 750p or 750w?

    >
    > I don't know - how do I tell?
    > I'm in Australia and the device was supplied by Telstra if that helps.


    The model number on the front of the phone should say 750p or 750w, but
    without that you can easily tell because the 750p runs the Palm OS and
    the 750w runs Windows Mobile. Get it ... p = Palm and w = Windows.

  6. Re: Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

    Andy Lawson wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> Out of curiosity, 750p or 750w?

    >
    > Under settings the phone tab reports the hardware version as P - is this
    > what you meant?


    If it's a Palm version demand a replacement. If it's a Windows' version it
    sounds about par for the course.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

    RonB wrote:
    > If it's a Palm version demand a replacement. If it's a Windows' version it
    > sounds about par for the course.


    It's the Windows version.

    Par for the course? Dang. Was hoping it was just a duff one and I could
    get a replacement. Doesn't sound like there's much point

  8. Re: Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

    Shawn Hirn wrote:
    > The model number on the front of the phone should say 750p or 750w, but
    > without that you can easily tell because the 750p runs the Palm OS and
    > the 750w runs Windows Mobile. Get it ... p = Palm and w = Windows.


    Mine just says Treo 750 on the front - no p or w.
    It is running Windows, however.

  9. Re: Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

    On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 02:01:24PM +1000, Andy Lawson wrote:
    > Shawn Hirn wrote:
    > > The model number on the front of the phone should say 750p or 750w, but
    > > without that you can easily tell because the 750p runs the Palm OS and
    > > the 750w runs Windows Mobile. Get it ... p = Palm and w = Windows.

    > Mine just says Treo 750 on the front - no p or w.
    > It is running Windows, however.


    There's your problem then :-)

    --
    David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  10. Re: Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

    Andy Lawson wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> If it's a Palm version demand a replacement. If it's a Windows'
    >> version it sounds about par for the course.

    >
    > It's the Windows version.
    >
    > Par for the course? Dang. Was hoping it was just a duff one and I
    > could get a replacement. Doesn't sound like there's much point


    I'm pretty sure if you complain that it doesn't work they should replace
    it or at least try to fix it, even it is the Windows version. Do they give
    you the option of trading in for the Palm version (assuming you would want
    to)?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  11. Re: Wretched experience with a Treo 750. Anybody else?

    RonB wrote:
    > I'm pretty sure if you complain that it doesn't work they should replace
    > it or at least try to fix it, even it is the Windows version. Do they give
    > you the option of trading in for the Palm version (assuming you would want
    > to)?


    I don't have any problem with the Palm OS, I still have an old Palm
    kicking around somewhere, and it can't be worse than Windows.

    I'll have to ask them. Given that the thing was ordered by my boss, that
    may not be an option.

    Of course the Telstra website is completely unable to tell me anything
    useful, unless I want to buy some ringtones. Sheesh. Why is it that that
    trying to buy a functioning piece of electronic equipment these days is
    like trying to nail jelly to the ceiling?

+ Reply to Thread