Vista-DocsToGoTX, Nonstarters - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Vista-DocsToGoTX, Nonstarters - Palmtop ; At Random Docs To Go Hotsync will fail. When it does the prc is deleted on the TX, The only recovery is a reinstall of DocsToGo. WHAT A CROC. This never happens on my XP system. This is LIKELY both ...

  1. Vista-DocsToGoTX, Nonstarters

    At Random Docs To Go Hotsync will fail. When it does the prc is deleted on the TX, The only recovery is a reinstall of DocsToGo. WHAT A CROC.
    This never happens on my XP system. This is LIKELY both Palm and DocsToGo defects, NOT VISTA. They simply don't get it and don't seem to care!
    Yes, I am using 6.2 PALM Desktop.
    Anyone getting this configuration to work RELIABLY

    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  2. Re: Vista-DocsToGoTX, Nonstarters

    In message <1jVOi.1491$zL7.350@newsfe12.lga> Gil Baron
    wrote:

    >At Random Docs To Go Hotsync will fail. When it does the prc is deleted on the TX, The only recovery is a reinstall of DocsToGo. WHAT A CROC.
    >This never happens on my XP system. This is LIKELY both Palm and DocsToGo defects, NOT VISTA. They simply don't get it and don't seem to care!
    >Yes, I am using 6.2 PALM Desktop.
    >Anyone getting this configuration to work RELIABLY

    If you run all Palm apps, including HotSync, using the "Run as
    administrator" then Palm's software should work.

    The problem is that Palm's software was written under the assumption
    that it could write to the \Program Files\ directory and store user data
    there as well. In addition, data is stored all over the registry,
    sometimes in inappropriate locations.

    It will be a massive rewrite to fix it, and it will break legacy
    conduits, which is probably why Palm hasn't done anything yet.

    Personally, I'd sacrifice backwards compatibility for functional
    software, but that's just me.

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  3. Re: Vista-DocsToGoTX, Nonstarters

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 23:21:06 -0600, DevilsPGD
    wrote:

    >In message <1jVOi.1491$zL7.350@newsfe12.lga> Gil Baron
    > wrote:
    >
    >>At Random Docs To Go Hotsync will fail. When it does the prc is deleted on the TX, The only recovery is a reinstall of DocsToGo. WHAT A CROC.
    >>This never happens on my XP system. This is LIKELY both Palm and DocsToGo defects, NOT VISTA. They simply don't get it and don't seem to care!
    >>Yes, I am using 6.2 PALM Desktop.
    >>Anyone getting this configuration to work RELIABLY

    >If you run all Palm apps, including HotSync, using the "Run as
    >administrator" then Palm's software should work.

    Not true at all. I have spoken to the Dataviz people and they have
    been hampered by Palms complete inability to get a working Palm
    Desktop out of beta for Vista. The Hotsync process with this beta is
    NOT reliable for a great many products. If you depend on the
    integrity of your data, I would not trust this beta product at this
    point and I would be very leery of those - like this author - who say
    it "should" work. Should in this context means "I really don't know
    what the **** I'm talking about, but you go ahead and trash your data
    and then let me know how it goes".

    >The problem is that Palm's software was written under the assumption
    >that it could write to the \Program Files\ directory and store user data
    >there as well. In addition, data is stored all over the registry,
    >sometimes in inappropriate locations.

    Also not true. You can store Palm data anyplace you like. In fact I
    have regularly stored programs on one drive and data not only a
    completely different drive, but a virtually encrypted drive as well.
    (In XP, of course).

    Data is not stored in the registry. There may be pointers to where
    the data is stored and yes, in some cases - particularly with
    Passwords Plus - one Dataviz product - that registry entry can be
    changed to point to a different location with complete success. I
    know. I have been doing it since the product came out.

    >It will be a massive rewrite to fix it, and it will break legacy
    >conduits, which is probably why Palm hasn't done anything yet.

    Palm hasn't done anything yet because they are worthless sacks of ****
    who will probably be screaming like 2 year old girly girls that this
    is all Microsoft's fault.

    I'd be inclined to sort of buy that except for one thing:

    There are scores if not hundreds of vendors who compete with
    Microsoft's product line who have Vista compatible products out the
    door and have had them out the door for months.

    Palm has had *years* - just like everyone else to develop a Vista
    compatible product.

    They just don't give a flying **** and/or they have lost every
    competent person on their team.

    They are more concerned with making phones for soccer mom's then they
    are with the people who actually use the apps that come on them.

    It's high time for Palm to die. They haven't done jack ****ing ****
    with their OS in years and now not only are they ****ing us - the
    users of their devices - they are ****ing the hundreds of developers
    (like Dataviz) who now have to circle the drain with them.

    I hope in the end that the developers have some kind of legal recourse
    against Palm.

    Personally, the T/X is the last Palm device I will ever own. I depend
    on a good half a dozen apps that flat out will not work (or don't work
    well enough to trust) because of how bad Palm has ****ed up this
    entire Vista upgrade for their Desktop.

    Mark my words - this Vista fiasco is going to kill Palm.

    Think about it - and I don't mean think about it from a users
    standpoint - I mean think about it from a developers standpoint.

    Will you ever trust Palm again when you are dependent on them to a
    large degree for providing the means for your app to work?

    How pissed off are you at a gazillion support calls blaming YOUR
    company for your app not working under Vista when it's really Palm's
    fault?

    How many people right now - at this very moment - are buying Vista
    machines thinking that their Palm apps are going to work just fine
    with their new Treo's, T/X's, etc only to discover they won't?

    Answer: Lots of them.

    Lots of very pissed off people who have seen the writing on the wall
    with Palm for a long time and done dealing with the jackasses of the
    PDA world once and for all.

    This Vista **** up isn't Palms first.

    If I were a developer, it would definitely be the last.

  4. Re: Vista-DocsToGoTX, Nonstarters

    DevilsPGD wrote:
    >If you run all Palm apps, including HotSync, using the "Run as
    >administrator" then Palm's software should work.

    Been there, done that, no joy.
    Besides, that is not acceptble. They claim Vista Ready
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  5. Re: Vista-DocsToGoTX, Nonstarters

    Li RM wrote:
    >It's high time for Palm to die. They haven't done jack ****ing ****
    >with their OS in years and now not only are they ****ing us - the
    >users of their devices - they are ****ing the hundreds of developers
    >(like Dataviz) who now have to circle the drain with them.

    All true, glad somebody agrees
    The problem is a switch to Win CE is too exoensive. I have a LOT of apos
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  6. Re: Vista-DocsToGoTX, Nonstarters

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 02:22:08 -0400, Li RM wrote:

> [...]

    > on a good half a dozen apps that flat out will not work (or don't work
    > well enough to trust) because of how bad Palm has ****ed up this
    > entire Vista upgrade for their Desktop.
    >
    > Mark my words - this Vista fiasco is going to kill Palm.
    >
    > Think about it - and I don't mean think about it from a users
    > standpoint - I mean think about it from a developers standpoint.
    >
    > Will you ever trust Palm again when you are dependent on them to a
    > large degree for providing the means for your app to work?
    >
    > How pissed off are you at a gazillion support calls blaming YOUR
    > company for your app not working under Vista when it's really Palm's
    > fault?
    >
    > How many people right now - at this very moment - are buying Vista
    > machines thinking that their Palm apps are going to work just fine
    > with their new Treo's, T/X's, etc only to discover they won't?

    And they are all fools who don't know more then what a salesman will tell
    them. Check the internet. The reputable services and problem pages are
    VERY put off by Vista.

    Anyone who knows what they are doing will insist on a Vista compatable but
    will accept ONLY XP.

    Don't believe me? Call all the major producers. (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc)

    This Vista **** up is not Micro$oft$ first by a long shot!

    > If I were a developer, it would definitely be the last.

+ Reply to Thread