Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter - Palmtop ; Hi, I've always sync-ed my palm Vx with my workplace computer which has a serial port and there have been no problems there. I now want to sync, instead, with my home PC. This does have a serial port but ...

  1. Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    Hi,

    I've always sync-ed my palm Vx with my workplace computer which has a
    serial port and there have been no problems there. I now want to sync,
    instead, with my home PC. This does have a serial port but it's always
    in use by another device (wife's Psion) and I don't, in any case, want
    to go groping at the back of the PC to change over connections each time
    I want to sync my Palm. So my question is this: if I purchase a USB to
    Serial converter will I be able to sync over this on my PC (given that
    there is already a bona fide serial port available but I am choosing not
    to use it) ?

    TIA
    --
    Wilf

  2. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    On 03/10/2007 9:08 am, Wilf wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've always sync-ed my palm Vx with my workplace computer which has a
    > serial port and there have been no problems there. I now want to sync,
    > instead, with my home PC. This does have a serial port but it's always
    > in use by another device (wife's Psion) and I don't, in any case, want
    > to go groping at the back of the PC to change over connections each time
    > I want to sync my Palm. So my question is this: if I purchase a USB to
    > Serial converter will I be able to sync over this on my PC (given that
    > there is already a bona fide serial port available but I am choosing not
    > to use it) ?
    >
    > TIA

    Is anyone able to answer my question, please?

    --
    Wilf

  3. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    Wilf wrote:
    > On 03/10/2007 9:08 am, Wilf wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've always sync-ed my palm Vx with my workplace computer which has a
    >> serial port and there have been no problems there. I now want to
    >> sync, instead, with my home PC. This does have a serial port but it's
    >> always in use by another device (wife's Psion) and I don't, in any
    >> case, want to go groping at the back of the PC to change over
    >> connections each time I want to sync my Palm. So my question is this:
    >> if I purchase a USB to Serial converter will I be able to sync over
    >> this on my PC (given that there is already a bona fide serial port
    >> available but I am choosing not to use it) ?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Is anyone able to answer my question, please?

    I'm assuming Windows OS??

    I can give you some general guidelines.
    There are two types of usb/serial converters. The ones that are
    very compatible and the ones that aren't. Back when I was researching
    the problem, there seemed to be no way to tell without trying it.
    Virtually all of them are chinese with no name, no model number, no
    driver updates, no support, not even a contact point.
    Whatyouseeiswhatyouget.

    Depends on the driver that comes with it, but most create a new serial
    port. Your pda accesses that serial port. Some problems if the range
    of ports that can be created does not overlap the range of ports that
    your device needs. If the device tries to access hardware registers
    directly, game over. That shouldn't be a problem for what you're doing,
    but who knows until you try it.

    Few I/O ports on PDA's are real serial. Most have some sort of
    level conversion built into the cradle or cable. There exist
    USB to PDA cables with all that taken care of for you.

    Back in the day, RadioShack had some devices they called "power tip"
    Had the proper connection for your PDA on one end and power and USB
    ports on the other end. They're discontinued, but may be available used.

    I presume you've investigated a USB cradle.

    In the process of thinking about this, I discovered that I have one
    of these:

    http://www.palm.com/us/support/acces...b/palmusb.html

    Been saving it for the day I want to sync an ancient palm.
    If you're conus and make a generous offer, I might be convinced
    to part with it.
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID!

  4. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    "Wilf" wrote in message
    > On 03/10/2007 9:08 am, Wilf wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've always sync-ed my palm Vx with my workplace computer which has a
    >> serial port and there have been no problems there. I now want to sync,
    >> instead, with my home PC. This does have a serial port but it's always
    >> in use by another device (wife's Psion) and I don't, in any case, want to
    >> go groping at the back of the PC to change over connections each time I
    >> want to sync my Palm. So my question is this: if I purchase a USB to
    >> Serial converter will I be able to sync over this on my PC (given that
    >> there is already a bona fide serial port available but I am choosing not
    >> to use it) ?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Is anyone able to answer my question, please?

    Hey be patient, not everybody has such good access!

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  5. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    "mike" wrote in message
    > Wilf wrote:
    >> On 03/10/2007 9:08 am, Wilf wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I've always sync-ed my palm Vx with my workplace computer which has a
    >>> serial port and there have been no problems there. I now want to sync,
    >>> instead, with my home PC. This does have a serial port but it's always
    >>> in use by another device (wife's Psion) and I don't, in any case, want
    >>> to go groping at the back of the PC to change over connections each time
    >>> I want to sync my Palm. So my question is this: if I purchase a USB to
    >>> Serial converter will I be able to sync over this on my PC (given that
    >>> there is already a bona fide serial port available but I am choosing not
    >>> to use it) ?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> Is anyone able to answer my question, please?
    >>

    > I'm assuming Windows OS??
    >
    > I can give you some general guidelines.
    > There are two types of usb/serial converters. The ones that are
    > very compatible and the ones that aren't. Back when I was researching
    > the problem, there seemed to be no way to tell without trying it.
    > Virtually all of them are chinese with no name, no model number, no
    > driver updates, no support, not even a contact point.
    > Whatyouseeiswhatyouget.
    >
    > Depends on the driver that comes with it, but most create a new serial
    > port. Your pda accesses that serial port. Some problems if the range
    > of ports that can be created does not overlap the range of ports that
    > your device needs. If the device tries to access hardware registers
    > directly, game over. That shouldn't be a problem for what you're doing,
    > but who knows until you try it.

    Ding. I bought one home from work, tried it, and... it worked.

    My colleague did the same and it didn't work. Appeared to be the same lead,
    too... :-(

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  6. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    On 06/10/2007 12:57 pm, mike wrote:

    > Wilf wrote:
    >> On 03/10/2007 9:08 am, Wilf wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I've always sync-ed my palm Vx with my workplace computer which has a
    >>> serial port and there have been no problems there. I now want to
    >>> sync, instead, with my home PC. This does have a serial port but it's
    >>> always in use by another device (wife's Psion) and I don't, in any
    >>> case, want to go groping at the back of the PC to change over
    >>> connections each time I want to sync my Palm. So my question is this:
    >>> if I purchase a USB to Serial converter will I be able to sync over
    >>> this on my PC (given that there is already a bona fide serial port
    >>> available but I am choosing not to use it) ?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> Is anyone able to answer my question, please?
    >>

    > I'm assuming Windows OS??
    >
    > I can give you some general guidelines.
    > There are two types of usb/serial converters. The ones that are
    > very compatible and the ones that aren't. Back when I was researching
    > the problem, there seemed to be no way to tell without trying it.
    > Virtually all of them are chinese with no name, no model number, no
    > driver updates, no support, not even a contact point.
    > Whatyouseeiswhatyouget.
    >
    > Depends on the driver that comes with it, but most create a new serial
    > port. Your pda accesses that serial port. Some problems if the range
    > of ports that can be created does not overlap the range of ports that
    > your device needs. If the device tries to access hardware registers
    > directly, game over. That shouldn't be a problem for what you're doing,
    > but who knows until you try it.
    >
    > Few I/O ports on PDA's are real serial. Most have some sort of
    > level conversion built into the cradle or cable. There exist
    > USB to PDA cables with all that taken care of for you.
    >
    > Back in the day, RadioShack had some devices they called "power tip"
    > Had the proper connection for your PDA on one end and power and USB
    > ports on the other end. They're discontinued, but may be available used.
    >
    > I presume you've investigated a USB cradle.
    >
    > In the process of thinking about this, I discovered that I have one
    > of these:
    >
    > http://www.palm.com/us/support/acces...b/palmusb.html
    >
    > Been saving it for the day I want to sync an ancient palm.
    > If you're conus and make a generous offer, I might be convinced
    > to part with it.
    > mike

    Thanks, Mike. I've ordered a converter so we'll see whether it works or
    not, first. If not, then your offer is very generous. I am in the
    U.K., though, and I don't think you are?

    --
    Wilf

  7. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    On 06/10/2007 1:07 pm, DervMan wrote:

    > "Wilf" wrote in message
    >> On 03/10/2007 9:08 am, Wilf wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I've always sync-ed my palm Vx with my workplace computer which has a
    >>> serial port and there have been no problems there. I now want to sync,
    >>> instead, with my home PC. This does have a serial port but it's always
    >>> in use by another device (wife's Psion) and I don't, in any case, want to
    >>> go groping at the back of the PC to change over connections each time I
    >>> want to sync my Palm. So my question is this: if I purchase a USB to
    >>> Serial converter will I be able to sync over this on my PC (given that
    >>> there is already a bona fide serial port available but I am choosing not
    >>> to use it) ?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> Is anyone able to answer my question, please?

    > Hey be patient, not everybody has such good access!

    I'm an impatient person, what can I do? :-)

    --
    Wilf

  8. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    "Wilf" wrote in message
    > On 06/10/2007 1:07 pm, DervMan wrote:
    >
    >> "Wilf" wrote in message

    >>> Is anyone able to answer my question, please?

    >> Hey be patient, not everybody has such good access!
    >>

    > I'm an impatient person, what can I do? :-)

    Heh. Where abouts are you located in the UK?

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  9. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    On 06/10/2007 3:19 pm, DervMan wrote:

    > "Wilf" wrote in message
    >> On 06/10/2007 1:07 pm, DervMan wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Wilf" wrote in message

    >>> Hey be patient, not everybody has such good access!
    >>>

    >> I'm an impatient person, what can I do? :-)

    > Heh. Where abouts are you located in the UK?

    sort of bottom right hand corner :-)

    --
    Wilf

  10. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    "Wilf" wrote in message
    > On 06/10/2007 3:19 pm, DervMan wrote:
    >
    >> "Wilf" wrote in message

    >>> I'm an impatient person, what can I do? :-)

    >> Heh. Where abouts are you located in the UK?
    >>

    > sort of bottom right hand corner :-)

    Ah well. If you were more in the upper half I could have let you borrow my
    lead to see if it works on your hardware...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  11. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    On 07/10/2007 9:42 am, DervMan wrote:

    > "Wilf" wrote in message
    >> On 06/10/2007 3:19 pm, DervMan wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Wilf" wrote in message

    >>> Heh. Where abouts are you located in the UK?
    >>>

    >> sort of bottom right hand corner :-)

    > Ah well. If you were more in the upper half I could have let you borrow my
    > lead to see if it works on your hardware...

    shucks. Never mind - the thought was there, thanks.

    --
    Wilf

  12. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    "Wilf" wrote in message
    > On 07/10/2007 9:42 am, DervMan wrote:
    >
    >> "Wilf" wrote in message

    >>> sort of bottom right hand corner :-)

    >> Ah well. If you were more in the upper half I could have let you borrow
    >> my lead to see if it works on your hardware...
    >>

    > shucks. Never mind - the thought was there, thanks.

    I'll see if I can borrow another from work... *cough*

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  13. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    On 07/10/2007 10:59 am, DervMan wrote:

    > "Wilf" wrote in message
    >> On 07/10/2007 9:42 am, DervMan wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Wilf" wrote in message

    >>> Ah well. If you were more in the upper half I could have let you borrow
    >>> my lead to see if it works on your hardware...
    >>>

    >> shucks. Never mind - the thought was there, thanks.

    > I'll see if I can borrow another from work... *cough*

    I've bought and paid for one now. Will see if it works when it
    eventually arrives (after the post strike).

    --
    Wilf

  14. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    On 07/10/2007 12:08 pm, Wilf wrote:

    > On 07/10/2007 10:59 am, DervMan wrote:
    >
    >> "Wilf" wrote in message

    >>> shucks. Never mind - the thought was there, thanks.

    >> I'll see if I can borrow another from work... *cough*
    >>

    > I've bought and paid for one now. Will see if it works when it
    > eventually arrives (after the post strike).

    It works. Hooray.

    --
    Wilf

  15. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    "Wilf" wrote in message
    > On 07/10/2007 12:08 pm, Wilf wrote:
    >
    >> On 07/10/2007 10:59 am, DervMan wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Wilf" wrote in message

    >>> I'll see if I can borrow another from work... *cough*
    >>>

    >> I've bought and paid for one now. Will see if it works when it
    >> eventually arrives (after the post strike).
    >>

    > It works. Hooray.

    That's *excellent* news!

    My Vx is my spare machine. I dropped my T3 on Monday evening and it hasn't
    been the same since. :-( I think I'm going to have to bring the Vx out of
    retirement...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  16. Re: Palm Vx and USB-Serial Converter

    "DervMan" wrote in message
    > "Wilf" wrote in message

    >>> I've bought and paid for one now. Will see if it works when it
    >>> eventually arrives (after the post strike).
    >>>

    >> It works. Hooray.

    > That's *excellent* news!
    >
    > My Vx is my spare machine. I dropped my T3 on Monday evening and it
    > hasn't been the same since. :-( I think I'm going to have to bring the Vx
    > out of retirement...

    *sighs* Hmm. PalmOS 4, 20 MHz Dragonball VZ, 8 Mb of memory. Yet it still
    does what I need...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com