GPS for Palm TX? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on GPS for Palm TX? - Palmtop ; Hi All, does it make sense to buy a GPS receiver for Palm TX? Which model works with TX? or is it better to buy a standalone GPS device? Thanks! reply to group...

  1. GPS for Palm TX?

    Hi All,

    does it make sense to buy a GPS receiver for Palm TX? Which model works with
    TX?
    or is it better to buy a standalone GPS device?

    Thanks!

    reply to group

  2. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    + "S B" :

    > does it make sense to buy a GPS receiver for Palm TX? Which model works with
    > TX?

    Have a look at Dale DePriest's page: .
    Note in particular the second link from the top.
    There is also an absolutely overwhelming amount of GPS related
    information at .

    > or is it better to buy a standalone GPS device?

    Depends on your needs, I think. Battery life would be a quite
    limiting factor with the TX. Also ruggedness. I would not recommend
    it for hiking in the wilderness.

    --
    * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    -- Bertrand Russell

  3. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    On Sep 2, 8:42 pm, "S B" wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > does it make sense to buy a GPS receiver forPalm TX? Which model works with
    > TX?
    > or is it better to buy a standalone GPS device?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > reply to group

    Buy a separate unit.
    The Plam screen is very poor in the sun.

    You can get a Garmin Nuvi 200 for about $350 and you will much
    happier.

  4. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    In message "S B"
    wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >does it make sense to buy a GPS receiver for Palm TX? Which model works with
    >TX?
    >or is it better to buy a standalone GPS device?

    I've been running a BT-818 GPS for many moons on a variety of PalmOS
    devices. On the T|X, the problem is the software, unless the software
    was designed to handle the moronically small amount of working set RAM
    (~4MB) that the T|X has, stability will be questionable at best.

    That being said, from my experience, if you're hiking or doing anything
    outdoors, or where you need the GPS to stay on for an extended period of
    time, get a standalone.

    Conversely, if you're looking for car or urban walking directions and
    will have your Palm with you anyway, I'd highly recommend a Bluetooth
    GPS.

    I'm a Mapopolis user myself, although the software has now been
    discontinued (no further updates or purchases) and have run it on a TE2
    (don't bother), a T|X (expect to reboot infrequently), Treo 680
    (absolutely amazing, although battery life is an issue with the 680) and
    more recently a LifeDrive (perfect)

    I probably spent more then 12 hours in Mapopolis in the past 6 days,
    much of that navigating on unnamed forestry backroads in rural Idaho,
    Washington and Montana, all of it on a LifeDrive (connected to power on
    and off) with a Bluetooth GPS on the dash.

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  5. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    Thanks to all - and to DevilsPGD in particular: now I am confused.
    I would need the GPS for car or urban directions primarily, and I was
    considering buying a Bluetooth GPS on the eBay.
    Prior to TX I had a 505 with Magellan Companion and Mapopolis.
    However now I see that compatibility issues are almost inevitable, so buying
    a verified compatible unit + software will cost over $200, so a standalone
    GPS will probably make more sense.

    "DevilsPGD" wrote in message
    > In message "S B"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>does it make sense to buy a GPS receiver for Palm TX? Which model works
    >>with
    >>TX?
    >>or is it better to buy a standalone GPS device?

    > I've been running a BT-818 GPS for many moons on a variety of PalmOS
    > devices. On the T|X, the problem is the software, unless the software
    > was designed to handle the moronically small amount of working set RAM
    > (~4MB) that the T|X has, stability will be questionable at best.
    >
    > That being said, from my experience, if you're hiking or doing anything
    > outdoors, or where you need the GPS to stay on for an extended period of
    > time, get a standalone.
    >
    > Conversely, if you're looking for car or urban walking directions and
    > will have your Palm with you anyway, I'd highly recommend a Bluetooth
    > GPS.
    >
    > I'm a Mapopolis user myself, although the software has now been
    > discontinued (no further updates or purchases) and have run it on a TE2
    > (don't bother), a T|X (expect to reboot infrequently), Treo 680
    > (absolutely amazing, although battery life is an issue with the 680) and
    > more recently a LifeDrive (perfect)
    >
    > I probably spent more then 12 hours in Mapopolis in the past 6 days,
    > much of that navigating on unnamed forestry backroads in rural Idaho,
    > Washington and Montana, all of it on a LifeDrive (connected to power on
    > and off) with a Bluetooth GPS on the dash.
    >
    > --
    > You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  6. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    In message "S B"
    wrote:

    >Thanks to all - and to DevilsPGD in particular: now I am confused.
    >I would need the GPS for car or urban directions primarily, and I was
    >considering buying a Bluetooth GPS on the eBay.
    >Prior to TX I had a 505 with Magellan Companion and Mapopolis.
    >However now I see that compatibility issues are almost inevitable, so buying
    >a verified compatible unit + software will cost over $200, so a standalone
    >GPS will probably make more sense.

    You can pick up a BT-Q818 (the one I use, and have had very positive
    experiences with) for under $80 CAD. Software wise, Mapopolis is great
    on the LifeDrive, and Treo 680, but I wouldn't recommend it on the T|X.

    I currently have a LifeDrive, T|X, and Treo 680 -- I can test out any
    other software if you'd like, I'm going to start hunting for new
    software sooner or later since Mapopolis will not receive updates.

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  7. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    Thanks again.
    Do you know anything about this unit:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-42-Channel-Bl...QQcmdZViewItem

    and is there any reasonably good free mapping software to use with Palm
    (similar to Mapopolis)?

    "DevilsPGD" wrote in message
    > In message "S B"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks to all - and to DevilsPGD in particular: now I am confused.
    >>I would need the GPS for car or urban directions primarily, and I was
    >>considering buying a Bluetooth GPS on the eBay.
    >>Prior to TX I had a 505 with Magellan Companion and Mapopolis.
    >>However now I see that compatibility issues are almost inevitable, so
    >>buying
    >>a verified compatible unit + software will cost over $200, so a standalone
    >>GPS will probably make more sense.

    > You can pick up a BT-Q818 (the one I use, and have had very positive
    > experiences with) for under $80 CAD. Software wise, Mapopolis is great
    > on the LifeDrive, and Treo 680, but I wouldn't recommend it on the T|X.
    >
    > I currently have a LifeDrive, T|X, and Treo 680 -- I can test out any
    > other software if you'd like, I'm going to start hunting for new
    > software sooner or later since Mapopolis will not receive updates.
    >
    > --
    > You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  8. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    In message "S B"
    wrote:

    >Thanks again.
    >Do you know anything about this unit:
    >http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-42-Channel-Bl...QQcmdZViewItem

    That one didn't hit my radar due to the battery life.

    >and is there any reasonably good free mapping software to use with Palm
    >(similar to Mapopolis)?

    Short answer, no. Navteq licenses are substantially experience, so you
    won't likely find anything free with even half way decent mapping or
    navigation downloads.

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  9. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:29:50 -0600, DevilsPGD
    wrote:

    >In message "S B"
    > wrote:

    >You can pick up a BT-Q818 (the one I use, and have had very positive
    >experiences with) for under $80 CAD. Software wise, Mapopolis is great
    >on the LifeDrive, and Treo 680, but I wouldn't recommend it on the T|X.

    Actually, I've been running Mapopolis on my T|X since I got it, and
    I'm much happier with that solution that I was with the same software
    on the LifeDrive I had before. There are some tips about nesting the
    maps in folders for speed (keep more frequently used maps in a
    subfolder and stay in that folder), but the sound is loud, it reroutes
    without disconnecting much better than did my LifeDrive, and rarely if
    ever crashes while navigating. {ProfJonathan}

  10. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    What GPS are you using?

    "Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:29:50 -0600, DevilsPGD
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In message "S B"
    >> wrote:

    >>You can pick up a BT-Q818 (the one I use, and have had very positive
    >>experiences with) for under $80 CAD. Software wise, Mapopolis is great
    >>on the LifeDrive, and Treo 680, but I wouldn't recommend it on the T|X.
    >>

    > Actually, I've been running Mapopolis on my T|X since I got it, and
    > I'm much happier with that solution that I was with the same software
    > on the LifeDrive I had before. There are some tips about nesting the
    > maps in folders for speed (keep more frequently used maps in a
    > subfolder and stay in that folder), but the sound is loud, it reroutes
    > without disconnecting much better than did my LifeDrive, and rarely if
    > ever crashes while navigating. {ProfJonathan}

  11. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    In message Prof. Jonathan
    I. Ezor wrote:

    >On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:29:50 -0600, DevilsPGD
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In message "S B"
    >> wrote:

    >>You can pick up a BT-Q818 (the one I use, and have had very positive
    >>experiences with) for under $80 CAD. Software wise, Mapopolis is great
    >>on the LifeDrive, and Treo 680, but I wouldn't recommend it on the T|X.
    >>

    >Actually, I've been running Mapopolis on my T|X since I got it, and
    >I'm much happier with that solution that I was with the same software
    >on the LifeDrive I had before. There are some tips about nesting the
    >maps in folders for speed (keep more frequently used maps in a
    >subfolder and stay in that folder), but the sound is loud, it reroutes
    >without disconnecting much better than did my LifeDrive, and rarely if
    >ever crashes while navigating. {ProfJonathan}

    LifeDrive 2.0, or an older S/W version?

    --
    You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

  12. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    I use TomTom Navigator 5 with my PalmTX. The bluetooth receiver that I have
    is the one "manufactured" by Palm (it has "Palm" on the outside of it).
    Works very well.

    "Harald Hanche-Olsen" wrote in message
    newsco4picxoym.fsf@shuttle.math.ntnu.no...
    > + "S B" :
    >
    > > does it make sense to buy a GPS receiver for Palm TX? Which model works

    with
    > > TX?

    > Have a look at Dale DePriest's page: .
    > Note in particular the second link from the top.
    > There is also an absolutely overwhelming amount of GPS related
    > information at .
    >
    > > or is it better to buy a standalone GPS device?

    > Depends on your needs, I think. Battery life would be a quite
    > limiting factor with the TX. Also ruggedness. I would not recommend
    > it for hiking in the wilderness.
    >
    > --
    > * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    > - It is undesirable to believe a proposition
    > when there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
    > -- Bertrand Russell

  13. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:12:55 -0400, "S B" wrote:

    >What GPS are you using?

    The i.Trek M3:

    http://www.semsons.com/im3blgpsresi.html

    Not sure if they're selling it any more, but it's been great for me.
    {Prof. Jonathan}

  14. Re: GPS for Palm TX?

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:08:09 -0600, DevilsPGD
    wrote:

    >In message Prof. Jonathan
    >I. Ezor wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:29:50 -0600, DevilsPGD
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In message "S B"
    >>> wrote:

    >>>You can pick up a BT-Q818 (the one I use, and have had very positive
    >>>experiences with) for under $80 CAD. Software wise, Mapopolis is great
    >>>on the LifeDrive, and Treo 680, but I wouldn't recommend it on the T|X.
    >>>

    >>Actually, I've been running Mapopolis on my T|X since I got it, and
    >>I'm much happier with that solution that I was with the same software
    >>on the LifeDrive I had before. There are some tips about nesting the
    >>maps in folders for speed (keep more frequently used maps in a
    >>subfolder and stay in that folder), but the sound is loud, it reroutes
    >>without disconnecting much better than did my LifeDrive, and rarely if
    >>ever crashes while navigating. {ProfJonathan}

    >LifeDrive 2.0, or an older S/W version?

    I gave up on my LifeDrive after installing the 2.0 software; while it
    improved certain things, it did not address the major failings I found
    (2+ minute resets, delays, instability). Even if, for example,
    Mapopolis crashes occasionally, I can much better deal with a 10
    second reset cycle on my T|X than the multiple minute one on my LD.
    {ProfJonathan}

+ Reply to Thread