Serial cable for Palm TX? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Serial cable for Palm TX? - Palmtop ; Is there someplace, say on the web, I can purchase a cable that will allow me to use my Palm TX as a terminal emulator - for a reasonable price? By "reasonable price", I mean under US$30? I found a ...

  1. Serial cable for Palm TX?

    Is there someplace, say on the web, I can purchase a cable that will allow
    me to use my Palm TX as a terminal emulator - for a reasonable price?

    By "reasonable price", I mean under US$30?

    I found a couple of places that sell cables that look suitable, but
    they're in the ballpark of $60 - seems high for a cable.

  2. Re: Serial cable for Palm TX?

    In article ,
    Dan Stromberg - Datallegro wrote:

    >Is there someplace, say on the web, I can purchase a cable that will allow
    >me to use my Palm TX as a terminal emulator - for a reasonable price?
    >
    >By "reasonable price", I mean under US$30?
    >
    >I found a couple of places that sell cables that look suitable, but
    >they're in the ballpark of $60 - seems high for a cable.

    $60 is actually not that unreasonable for a specialty item, and anything
    with a serial port is (unfortunately) a specialty item these days.

    dave

    --
    Dave Vandervies dj3vande@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    [...]because we don't live in a dictatorship where I get to control

  3. Re: Serial cable for Palm TX?

    "Dan Stromberg - Datallegro" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.08.10.04.01.57.357341@datallegro.com...

    > Is there someplace, say on the web, I can purchase a cable that will allow
    > me to use my Palm TX as a terminal emulator - for a reasonable price?
    >
    > By "reasonable price", I mean under US$30?
    >
    > I found a couple of places that sell cables that look suitable, but
    > they're in the ballpark of $60 - seems high for a cable.

    Sounds like an interesting application. Can you post what you have found so
    far for $60 ? A link would be sufficient.

    Tx
    SL

  4. Re: Serial cable for Palm TX?

    The connector to the Palm is propriatary. Do note that you won't get the
    full 9-pin RS232 capability - you'll get little more than the Rx/Tx (and
    GND) lines.

    Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

    "Dan Stromberg - Datallegro" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.08.10.04.01.57.357341@datallegro.com...

    > Is there someplace, say on the web, I can purchase a cable that will allow
    > me to use my Palm TX as a terminal emulator - for a reasonable price?
    >
    > By "reasonable price", I mean under US$30?
    >
    > I found a couple of places that sell cables that look suitable, but
    > they're in the ballpark of $60 - seems high for a cable.

  5. Re: Serial cable for Palm TX?

    Dan Stromberg - Datallegro wrote:
    > Is there someplace, say on the web, I can purchase a cable that will allow
    > me to use my Palm TX as a terminal emulator - for a reasonable price?
    >
    > By "reasonable price", I mean under US$30?
    >
    > I found a couple of places that sell cables that look suitable, but
    > they're in the ballpark of $60 - seems high for a cable.

    Do you have to use the Tx?
    I've found that I can buy an old palm3 or a handspring with a serial
    cradle for a buck or so. Every third garage sale seems to have one or
    more. And with the older operating systems, you can get cheap or free
    programming languages should you decide that a terminal emulator is not
    enough.
    Be aware that adapters and cradles have level conversion built-in.
    The raw signal out of the palm is often ttl for older systems and
    low-voltage ttl/cmos levels for newer systems. Plug on RS-232 and kiss
    your PDA good bye.

    But the low voltage levels can be an advantage when connecting to
    devices with similar levels. A ttl RS232 port works nicely connected
    to a Microchip PIC processor port. But you still gotta protect against
    static zap.

    PDA connectors: Gomadic.com
    PDA pinouts: pinouts.ru
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID!

  6. Re: Serial cable for Palm TX?

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:54:47 -0400, SL wrote:

    > "Dan Stromberg - Datallegro" wrote in message
    > newsan.2007.08.10.04.01.57.357341@datallegro.com...
    >>
    >> Is there someplace, say on the web, I can purchase a cable that will allow
    >> me to use my Palm TX as a terminal emulator - for a reasonable price?
    >>
    >> By "reasonable price", I mean under US$30?
    >>
    >> I found a couple of places that sell cables that look suitable, but
    >> they're in the ballpark of $60 - seems high for a cable.
    >>

    > Sounds like an interesting application. Can you post what you have found so
    > far for $60 ? A link would be sufficient.
    >
    > Tx
    > SL

    http://www.pcables.com/cat2.html

    ....but it'd probably be cheaper to just get an old, serial palm.

    BTW, does anyone know if there are any serial palms with high res sreens?

    I liked my old IIIxe's, but 1) I gave them away and 2) They were low res

  7. Re: Serial cable for Palm TX?

    Parts for the older Palms (such as the Palm III) are getting impossible to
    get.

    newsan.2007.08.29.21.47.25.642090@datallegro.com...

    > http://www.pcables.com/cat2.html
    >
    > ...but it'd probably be cheaper to just get an old, serial palm.
    >
    > BTW, does anyone know if there are any serial palms with high res sreens?
    >
    > I liked my old IIIxe's, but 1) I gave them away and 2) They were low res

  8. Re: Serial cable for Palm TX?

    This company SerialIO has some for $20-40:

    https://serialio.com//store/index.ph...a2ff59d8fce7e0

    I am going to order some, since I am making GNU/Linux images for as many devices as I can get my hands on. If you are interested in trying GNU/Linux on your Palm, check here for more info:

    http://dev.eyebeam.org/projects/reware/

    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Parts for the older Palms (such as the Palm III) are getting impossible to
    get.

    Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

    "Dan Stromberg - Datallegro" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.08.29.21.47.25.642090@datallegro.com...

    > http://www.pcables.com/cat2.html
    >
    > ...but it'd probably be cheaper to just get an old, serial palm.
    >
    > BTW, does anyone know if there are any serial palms with high res sreens?
    >
    > I liked my old IIIxe's, but 1) I gave them away and 2) They were low res

+ Reply to Thread