Accessing Memo reboots Palm Treo 680 ... - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Accessing Memo reboots Palm Treo 680 ... - Palmtop ; Hello, My father is currently having a problem with his Palm Treo 680 (unlocked; 6 month old or so). Every time he accesses Memo, it crashes and the Treo 680 goes black (shuts down) and reboots. It used to work ...

  1. Accessing Memo reboots Palm Treo 680 ...

    Hello,

    My father is currently having a problem with his Palm Treo 680
    (unlocked; 6 month old or so). Every time he accesses Memo, it crashes
    and the Treo 680 goes black (shuts down) and reboots. It used to work
    earlier today and he doesn't remember what he inputted before the
    problem. Other programs seems OK.

    At first, I thought it was his CJKOS (http://www.dyts.com/en/cjkos.html
    -- for writing and reading Chinese) but disabling didn't fix the problem.

    How does one fix this problem without data losses?

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "The sun's just a big glass, we're all ants, I LOVE YOU." --"Magnified"
    song by the Failure band
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  2. Re: Accessing Memo reboots Palm Treo 680 ...

    No one knows? Not even a tool to fix the corruption?

    Someone suggested to restore from the computer's backup. However, it is
    over a month old and outdated. I'd like to avoid that. But then I don't
    know if restoring will even fix the problem.

    Also, can I copy Memo to the computer without Hotsynching to view?
    Speaking of viewing, how would I view this Memo data in Windows 2000
    SP4? I was told this is not possible.

    Thank you in advance.

    --
    "What reason, like the careful ant, draws laboriously together, the wind of accident sometimes collects in a moment." --Friedrich von Schiller
    /\___/\
    ( )

  3. Re: Accessing Memo reboots Palm Treo 680 ...

    In article <8cqdnanG3uMTRtnbnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d@mminternet.net>, Ant
    says...

    > No one knows? Not even a tool to fix the corruption?
    >
    > Someone suggested to restore from the computer's backup. However, it is
    > over a month old and outdated. I'd like to avoid that. But then I don't
    > know if restoring will even fix the problem.
    >
    > Also, can I copy Memo to the computer without Hotsynching to view?
    > Speaking of viewing, how would I view this Memo data in Windows 2000
    > SP4? I was told this is not possible.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >

    > In alt.comp.sys.palmtop.pilot Ant wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > My father is currently having a problem with his Palm Treo 680
    > > (unlocked; 6 month old or so). Every time he accesses Memo, it crashes
    > > and the Treo 680 goes black (shuts down) and reboots. It used to work
    > > earlier today and he doesn't remember what he inputted before the
    > > problem. Other programs seems OK.

    > > At first, I thought it was his CJKOS (http://www.dyts.com/en/cjkos.html
    > > -- for writing and reading Chinese) but disabling didn't fix the problem.

    > > How does one fix this problem without data losses?

    > > Thank you in advance.

    Bundled in the just released version of DateBk6 is a free utility called
    dbScan (which also was just updated and is only available in this bundle
    and not as a stand alone download as yet) which can repair corrupted
    data in all of the PIM databases. Read the readme file as there are
    several different ways to run it to get rid of different kinds of crap
    created by the OS5 datamanager (aka dataMangler) as it tries to keep
    both of the OS4 and OS5 data in sync.

    Scan for corruption, delete deleted records, scan for BLOB data and try
    all the other scans.

    Good luck.
    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  4. Re: Accessing Memo reboots Palm Treo 680 ...

    Jim Anderson wrote:

    > Bundled in the just released version of DateBk6 is a free utility called
    > dbScan (which also was just updated and is only available in this bundle
    > and not as a stand alone download as yet) which can repair corrupted
    > data in all of the PIM databases. Read the readme file as there are
    > several different ways to run it to get rid of different kinds of crap
    > created by the OS5 datamanager (aka dataMangler) as it tries to keep
    > both of the OS4 and OS5 data in sync.

    Where do you find this new minor upgrade to DateBk6? I don't see
    anything about it on Pimlico's site, and I don't think it is part of the
    DateBk6 version have have installed on my Treo 650.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  5. Re: Accessing Memo reboots Palm Treo 680 ...

    On 5/11/2007 5:58 PM PT, Jim Anderson wrote:

    >>> My father is currently having a problem with his Palm Treo 680
    >>> (unlocked; 6 month old or so). Every time he accesses Memo, it crashes
    >>> and the Treo 680 goes black (shuts down) and reboots. It used to work
    >>> earlier today and he doesn't remember what he inputted before the
    >>> problem. Other programs seems OK.
    >>> At first, I thought it was his CJKOS (http://www.dyts.com/en/cjkos.html
    >>> -- for writing and reading Chinese) but disabling didn't fix the problem.
    >>> How does one fix this problem without data losses?
    >>> Thank you in advance.

    > Bundled in the just released version of DateBk6 is a free utility called
    > dbScan (which also was just updated and is only available in this bundle
    > and not as a stand alone download as yet) which can repair corrupted
    > data in all of the PIM databases. Read the readme file as there are
    > several different ways to run it to get rid of different kinds of crap
    > created by the OS5 datamanager (aka dataMangler) as it tries to keep
    > both of the OS4 and OS5 data in sync.
    >
    > Scan for corruption, delete deleted records, scan for BLOB data and try
    > all the other scans.

    I downloaded http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk6-v60a-s5.zip and
    extracted its contents to a folder. Do I need to extract its
    AdvanceStuff.zip's dbScan.prc to HotSynch and run only, or do I need
    more like two core files (DateBk6.prc and DateBk6-resources.prc)?

    The text file scares me: "Read the READ-ME-FIRST file first as you
    should not install any of these files unless you know PRECISELY why you
    need to install them!!"
    --
    "Ants are so much like human beings as to be an embarrassment. They farm
    fungi, raise aphids as livestock, launch armies into wars, use chemical
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  6. Re: Accessing Memo reboots Palm Treo 680 ...

    On 5/10/2007 10:34 PM PT, Ant wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > My father is currently having a problem with his Palm Treo 680
    > (unlocked; 6 month old or so). Every time he accesses Memo, it crashes
    > and the Treo 680 goes black (shuts down) and reboots. It used to work
    > earlier today and he doesn't remember what he inputted before the
    > problem. Other programs seems OK.
    >
    > At first, I thought it was his CJKOS (http://www.dyts.com/en/cjkos.html
    > -- for writing and reading Chinese) but disabling didn't fix the problem.
    >
    > How does one fix this problem without data losses?

    Fixed (I hope) after forcing the HotSync to overwrite PDA's copy (only
    nine days old) from the computer and he was willing to risk it. For a
    WEIRD reason, the PDA rebooted after the HotSync. I have NO idea why and
    that is not normal. I hope nothing broke and it doesn't seem like it. I
    hope this problem doesn't happen again (is it common or rare?).
    --
    "What is that?" "Some kind of insect?" "It's an ant." "Girl, you needed
    an exterminator. She had ants on her face." "Well, these aren't your
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  7. Re: Accessing Memo reboots Palm Treo 680 ...

    In article <46454377$0$3186$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Ant says...

    > > Bundled in the just released version of DateBk6 is a free utility called
    > > dbScan (which also was just updated and is only available in this bundle
    > > and not as a stand alone download as yet) which can repair corrupted
    > > data in all of the PIM databases. Read the readme file as there are
    > > several different ways to run it to get rid of different kinds of crap
    > > created by the OS5 datamanager (aka dataMangler) as it tries to keep
    > > both of the OS4 and OS5 data in sync.
    > >
    > > Scan for corruption, delete deleted records, scan for BLOB data and try
    > > all the other scans.

    > I downloaded http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk6-v60a-s5.zip and
    > extracted its contents to a folder. Do I need to extract its
    > AdvanceStuff.zip's dbScan.prc to HotSynch and run only, or do I need
    > more like two core files (DateBk6.prc and DateBk6-resources.prc)?
    >
    > The text file scares me: "Read the READ-ME-FIRST file first as you
    > should not install any of these files unless you know PRECISELY why you
    > need to install them!!"

    It is in the Advanced stuff zip. Just install dbScan, but read the info
    for it.

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  8. Re: Accessing Memo reboots Palm Treo 680 ... [fixed]

    On 5/12/2007 4:12 AM PT, Jim Anderson wrote:

    >>> Bundled in the just released version of DateBk6 is a free utility called
    >>> dbScan (which also was just updated and is only available in this bundle
    >>> and not as a stand alone download as yet) which can repair corrupted
    >>> data in all of the PIM databases. Read the readme file as there are
    >>> several different ways to run it to get rid of different kinds of crap
    >>> created by the OS5 datamanager (aka dataMangler) as it tries to keep
    >>> both of the OS4 and OS5 data in sync.
    >>>
    >>> Scan for corruption, delete deleted records, scan for BLOB data and try
    >>> all the other scans.

    >> I downloaded http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk6-v60a-s5.zip and
    >> extracted its contents to a folder. Do I need to extract its
    >> AdvanceStuff.zip's dbScan.prc to HotSynch and run only, or do I need
    >> more like two core files (DateBk6.prc and DateBk6-resources.prc)?
    >>
    >> The text file scares me: "Read the READ-ME-FIRST file first as you
    >> should not install any of these files unless you know PRECISELY why you
    >> need to install them!!"

    > It is in the Advanced stuff zip. Just install dbScan, but read the info
    > for it.

    It looks like the issue was resolved without this. We restored the
    desktop's copy to overwrite the PDA. And yes, he was willing to lose
    nine days of datas.

    For weird reason, the PDA rebooted after the Hotsynch. Not sure why but
    nothing seems to be broken.

    You can see the details at
    http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...ssage.id=13759
    "What is it all but a trouble of ants... In the gleam of a million...
    million of suns? --Alfred Lord Tennyson
    /\___/\