How to resurrect a dead TX? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on How to resurrect a dead TX? - Palmtop ; This past weekend I ran the battery flat on my TX, and now it won't turn on despite having been plugged in to the wall-wart charger overnight and the USB sync cable for a few hours this morning. My best ...

  1. How to resurrect a dead TX?

    This past weekend I ran the battery flat on my TX, and now it won't turn
    on despite having been plugged in to the wall-wart charger overnight
    and the USB sync cable for a few hours this morning. My best guess at
    the problem is that the battery isn't charging for some reason despite
    being plugged into a power source.

    Is there anything I can try to get it working again, or is the next step
    to take it back to the store and tell them it's broken?

    I also have some data on it that hasn't been synced (I only sync at work
    and it died at the end of the weekend) - nothing that's both important
    and irreplacable, but it would be nice to get it backed up first if I
    have to take drastic measures to get it fixed. Is there any way to get
    that off, or do I just accept that it's probably gone?

    dave

    --
    Dave Vandervies dj3vande@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    There's no such thing as an unsigned two's complement field, so I

  2. Re: How to resurrect a dead TX?

    In article , Dave Vandervies says...

    > This past weekend I ran the battery flat on my TX, and now it won't turn
    > on despite having been plugged in to the wall-wart charger overnight
    > and the USB sync cable for a few hours this morning. My best guess at
    > the problem is that the battery isn't charging for some reason despite
    > being plugged into a power source.
    >
    > Is there anything I can try to get it working again, or is the next step
    > to take it back to the store and tell them it's broken?
    >

    > I also have some data on it that hasn't been synced (I only sync at work
    > and it died at the end of the weekend) - nothing that's both important
    > and irreplacable, but it would be nice to get it backed up first if I
    > have to take drastic measures to get it fixed. Is there any way to get
    > that off, or do I just accept that it's probably gone?
    >

    > dave

    while it is plugged into the charger, poke the reset hole. Let it charge
    for 3-4 hours.

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  3. Re: How to resurrect a dead TX?

    In article ,
    Jim Anderson wrote:
    >In article , Dave Vandervies says...
    >
    >> This past weekend I ran the battery flat on my TX, and now it won't turn
    >> on despite having been plugged in to the wall-wart charger overnight
    >> and the USB sync cable for a few hours this morning. My best guess at
    >> the problem is that the battery isn't charging for some reason despite
    >> being plugged into a power source.

    [...]

    >while it is plugged into the charger, poke the reset hole. Let it charge
    >for 3-4 hours.

    Resetting it worked. It was reporting a full charge as soon as it came
    back up, so whatever the problem was it seems to have not been with the
    battery after all, but it's probably not such a bad idea to leave it
    charging for a few hours anyways.

    dave

    --
    Dave Vandervies dj3vande@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    I'm now picturing MikeA in front of a keyboard from which all the letters

  4. Re: How to resurrect a dead TX?

    Dave Vandervies wrote:
    > This past weekend I ran the battery flat on my TX, and now it won't turn
    > on despite having been plugged in to the wall-wart charger overnight
    > and the USB sync cable for a few hours this morning. My best guess at
    > the problem is that the battery isn't charging for some reason despite
    > being plugged into a power source.

    > Is there anything I can try to get it working again, or is the next step
    > to take it back to the store and tell them it's broken?

    Have you tried various resets? Pin? Warm? Hard? It could be simply crashed.

    > I also have some data on it that hasn't been synced (I only sync at work
    > and it died at the end of the weekend) - nothing that's both important
    > and irreplacable, but it would be nice to get it backed up first if I
    > have to take drastic measures to get it fixed. Is there any way to get
    > that off, or do I just accept that it's probably gone?

    The data will remain there unless you do a hard reset or get it exchanged.
    Well, in the latter case it will be still there on someone else's desk.

    Some older Palms had a charging indicator.

    /PaulN

  5. Re: How to resurrect a dead TX?

    In article ,
    Paul Nevai wrote:
    >Dave Vandervies wrote:
    >> This past weekend I ran the battery flat on my TX, and now it won't turn
    >> on despite having been plugged in to the wall-wart charger overnight
    >> and the USB sync cable for a few hours this morning. My best guess at
    >> the problem is that the battery isn't charging for some reason despite
    >> being plugged into a power source.

    >> Is there anything I can try to get it working again, or is the next step
    >> to take it back to the store and tell them it's broken?

    >Have you tried various resets? Pin? Warm? Hard? It could be simply crashed.

    Yeah, but not until somebody suggested it here. (Not being a Windows
    user, I'm not used to resetting being a normal part of troubleshooting.)

    The soft reset fixed it, so it does seem to have managed to crash when
    the battery ran out.

    >Some older Palms had a charging indicator.

    That would've clued me in that the problem wasn't the battery (it was
    reporting full when it came back up after the reset), but still would've
    left me with a dead palm that had to be reset.

    Thanks

    dave

    --
    Dave Vandervies dj3vande@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    There is usually controversy over what "marketing" means; I think of it

  6. Re: How to resurrect a dead TX?

    On May 2, 3:44 pm, dj3va...@caffeine.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Dave
    Vandervies) wrote:
    > The soft reset fixed it, so it does seem to have managed to crash when
    > the battery ran out.

    For future reference, what you did is called a cradle or charger
    reset, differing from a soft reset because you did it while the
    handheld was plugged into the charger.

    Small point and perhaps semantics, but if the topic ever comes up
    again you might want to know there's a dif.

    - henry

+ Reply to Thread