My Prism, died. Looking for replacement - Palmtop

This is a discussion on My Prism, died. Looking for replacement - Palmtop ; Hi all My Prism, Palm OS, died. I'm looking for a replacement. I haven't kept up w/ the various new models. I know I could try & do all the research myself to find what I need, but I would ...

  1. My Prism, died. Looking for replacement

    Hi all
    My Prism, Palm OS, died.

    I'm looking for a replacement. I haven't kept up w/ the various new
    models.
    I know I could try & do all the research myself to find what I need,
    but I would appreciate it if some of you who are more up on Palm OSs
    could help shorten my study time. I have Attention Deficient Disorder
    & serious memory problems. My past Palms have been the single greatest
    assist to my neurological problems of any gadget or software I have
    ever had. I mainly use the 4 primary functions.

    My requirements:
    1. Used, new, or NOS < $150.
    2. A RELIABLE history. (Did some Sony Cle's have problems?)
    3. A hard case that's available.
    4. A really loud alarm or preferably speaker. (I have some hearing
    loss).
    5. I also desperately need the best spell checker & dictionary
    available.
    Does this require a fairly large memory that would eliminate some
    models?
    6. Old Graffiti (or is there a hack to restore new graffiti to old?).
    This is the least important criteria.

    Thank you very much, John

  2. Re: My Prism, died. Looking for replacement

    John-

    My Tungsten E2 meets most of your requirements:

    1. The base price is 200, but they are often seen for less (with the
    various rebates, discounts, and promotions I got mine for 140.
    2. It doesn't meet this requirement very well, as it has had some
    problems. The most noticeable is the screen offset. In order to tap
    what you want to tap on, you need to aim 1/8" below the target. This
    isn't a widespread issue, but I know that it is for many people. This
    also developed after about 10 months, and was a gradual thing. It
    also has some compatibility issues with older software, and some new
    software as well. StreetFinder causes it to crash, for example.
    3. It has a very nice hardcase available, although I prefer the very
    nice flip cover for most uses.
    4. It has a decent speaker that allows you to have alarms and play
    music. It's on the back, however, which can be annoying.
    5. It comes with the basic "Documents to Go" which allows you to
    create and edit Microsoft Word and Excel files on your palm, and view
    a simpler version of PowerPoint. You can upgrade to the full version
    of Documents to Go (Version 9 is the current one, I think) which has a
    spell checker, among other nice features. Noah Lite is a free ware
    dictionary that you can download online, and is a very nice, easy to
    use dictionary. You can also buy a SD card that will allow you to
    have a dictionary and thesaurus. Also, since the E2 has a 32 MB flash
    memory, it can handle a lot of information. It also has an SD card
    slot that can take an SD card up to 1 GB.
    6. It has the current Graffiti (version 2.0), but I'm sure that there
    is a hack somewhere to remedy this.

    The E2 is a decent Palm, but has a lot of issues. For consumer
    opinions and more info, go to www.cnet.com.

+ Reply to Thread