Corrupt Calendar file on Desktop; or is it??? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Corrupt Calendar file on Desktop; or is it??? - Palmtop ; So a freind has a Zire & Palm Desktop. He can not Hotsync; it crashed out while trying to sync the calendar. He tried wiping the Zire & starting over, no joy. All but the calendar are great... I futzed ...

  1. Corrupt Calendar file on Desktop; or is it???

    So a freind has a Zire & Palm Desktop. He can not Hotsync;
    it crashed out while trying to sync the calendar.

    He tried wiping the Zire & starting over, no joy.
    All but the calendar are great...

    I futzed with setting the HotSync to have the Desktop
    overwrite the Zire. No joy.

    One thing we see is that somehow, repeating events show up as far
    back as 1947. He's trying to manually delete all of them before
    1990, but thus far that's slow work.

    a) Would too-old dates cause this grief?

    b) Is there any way we could export the calendar data into a format
    we could examine/clean it and then import it back into the Desktop?
    Are there any existing tools for such?

    We're thinking about retreiving last week's backup, pushing just
    the calendar data it to the Zire, then push the other data; and THEN
    hotsync back to get it all together, but what a PITA...

    What's a better way?

  2. Re: Corrupt Calendar file on Desktop; or is it???

    In article , David Lesher says...

    > So a freind has a Zire & Palm Desktop. He can not Hotsync;
    > it crashed out while trying to sync the calendar.
    >
    > He tried wiping the Zire & starting over, no joy.
    > All but the calendar are great...
    >
    > I futzed with setting the HotSync to have the Desktop
    > overwrite the Zire. No joy.
    >
    > One thing we see is that somehow, repeating events show up as far
    > back as 1947. He's trying to manually delete all of them before
    > 1990, but thus far that's slow work.
    >
    > a) Would too-old dates cause this grief?
    >
    > b) Is there any way we could export the calendar data into a format
    > we could examine/clean it and then import it back into the Desktop?
    > Are there any existing tools for such?
    >
    > We're thinking about retreiving last week's backup, pushing just
    > the calendar data it to the Zire, then push the other data; and THEN
    > hotsync back to get it all together, but what a PITA...
    >
    > What's a better way?

    Set the Windows clock back to 1990, start the Palm Desktop and Purge all
    data before today (1990), reset the Windows system clock.

    In the Palm Desktop, menu Tools-> Options, the Tools tab, click the
    Check Now button next to "Check and Repair any Corrupted Records".

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  3. Re: Corrupt Calendar file on Desktop; or is it???

    Jim Anderson writes:

    >> So a freind has a Zire & Palm Desktop. He can not Hotsync;
    >> it crashed out while trying to sync the calendar.

    >Set the Windows clock back to 1990, start the Palm Desktop and Purge all
    >data before today (1990), reset the Windows system clock.

    >In the Palm Desktop, menu Tools-> Options, the Tools tab, click the
    >Check Now button next to "Check and Repair any Corrupted Records".

    Like a chump; I neglected to say "Mac Desktop..."

    Do similar functions exist there?

  4. Re: Corrupt Calendar file on Desktop; or is it???

    In article , David Lesher says...

    > Jim Anderson writes:
    >

    > >> So a freind has a Zire & Palm Desktop. He can not Hotsync;
    > >> it crashed out while trying to sync the calendar.

    > >Set the Windows clock back to 1990, start the Palm Desktop and Purge all
    > >data before today (1990), reset the Windows system clock.

    > >In the Palm Desktop, menu Tools-> Options, the Tools tab, click the
    > >Check Now button next to "Check and Repair any Corrupted Records".

    > Like a chump; I neglected to say "Mac Desktop..."
    >
    > Do similar functions exist there?

    Can you set the clock on a MAC?
    Can you archive on a MAC?
    Does the MAC version have a menu?
    Does the MAC version have a Tool item in the Menu?
    What happens when you select the Tolls selection in the Tools menu on a
    MAC?

    Wake up!!

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  5. Re: Corrupt Calendar file on Desktop; or is it???

    Jim Anderson writes:

    >Can you set the clock on a MAC?

    Yes.

    >Can you archive on a MAC?

    No.

    >Does the MAC version have a menu?

    Yes

    >Does the MAC version have a Tool item in the Menu?

    No

    >What happens when you select the Tolls selection in the Tools menu on a MAC?

    Err, Dan Quayle joins Mesna?

    The Mac & PC Palm desktops have virtually no code in common,
    and considerably different functionality...