New Treo - recommended software? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on New Treo - recommended software? - Palmtop ; I just got a Treo 680. Most of the stuff from my m515 Just Works. There are two glaring exceptions though. It has no Graffiti area, but there are times when Graffiti would be a better input tool than the ...

  1. New Treo - recommended software?

    I just got a Treo 680. Most of the stuff from my m515 Just Works.
    There are two glaring exceptions though.

    It has no Graffiti area, but there are times when Graffiti would be a
    better input tool than the keyboard. Is there any way of enabling it?

    Is there an equivalent of AppHack?

    I don't yet have a data contract (need to go and poke the Vodadrones
    today) but what shiny netty things should I get, other than an ssh
    client and google maps?

    And is there an easy way of turning the backlight on and off and of
    recording phone calls?

    Nuke a disabled unborn gay baby whale for JESUS!

  2. Re: New Treo - recommended software?

    David Cantrell wrote:

    > It has no Graffiti area, but there are times when Graffiti
    > would be a
    > better input tool than the keyboard. Is there any way of
    > enabling it?

    Tealscript. It's not free. But it will do what you want
    and is better tha Graffiti IMHO.

    p.s. At first I too longed for a Graffiti type
    input. But after using the thumb board
    with TextPlus I now *only* use the
    thumb board (even with my rather large
    hands/thumbs).

    --
    Doug via Treo handheld

  3. Re: New Treo - recommended software?

    It is alleged that David Cantrell claimed:

    > I just got a Treo 680. Most of the stuff from my m515 Just Works.
    > There are two glaring exceptions though.
    >
    > It has no Graffiti area, but there are times when Graffiti would be a
    > better input tool than the keyboard. Is there any way of enabling it?

    I have not found anything where Graffiti would work better than the
    keyboard. Only where it would work differently. If you really want
    handwriting input, Jot, TealScript, etc is the way to go.

    MobileLaunch (http://www.rmobile.ca/subpages/mobilelaunch.html).

    > I don't yet have a data contract (need to go and poke the Vodadrones
    > today) but what shiny netty things should I get, other than an ssh
    > client and google maps?

    4Cast for Weather forecasts: http://www.shsh.com/
    Genius, for all sorts of online lookups:
    http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/downloads.php

    > And is there an easy way of turning the backlight on and off and of

    No. But if you hit Opt/Menu, it'll dim the backlight by half until the
    device turns off.

    > recording phone calls?

    Don't know that one.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Tips for Evil Geniuses: 5. My glass flask holders, test tube racks,
    and bunsen-burner-heated apparati will be anchored to the floor or
    wall, not balanced precariously on a wobbly table.

  4. Re: New Treo - recommended software?

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:31:55 +0100, David Cantrell
    wrote:

    >I just got a Treo 680. Most of the stuff from my m515 Just Works.
    >There are two glaring exceptions though.
    >
    >It has no Graffiti area, but there are times when Graffiti would be a
    >better input tool than the keyboard. Is there any way of enabling it?
    >
    >Is there an equivalent of AppHack?

    I am surprised no-one has mentioned the free Graffiti Anywhere found
    at:
    http://www.escande.org/palm/GrfAnywhere/

  5. Re: New Treo - recommended software?

    In message Jason
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:31:55 +0100, David Cantrell
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I just got a Treo 680. Most of the stuff from my m515 Just Works.
    >>There are two glaring exceptions though.
    >>
    >>It has no Graffiti area, but there are times when Graffiti would be a
    >>better input tool than the keyboard. Is there any way of enabling it?
    >>
    >>Is there an equivalent of AppHack?

    >I am surprised no-one has mentioned the free Graffiti Anywhere found
    >at:
    >http://www.escande.org/palm/GrfAnywhere/

    I have large hands, but I can't imagine using graffiti when I have a
    keyboard available.

    --
    Ah, the miracle mile, where value wears a neon sombrero and there's
    not a single church or library to offend the eye.

  6. Re: New Treo - recommended software?

    On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 05:52:35PM -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:

    > I have large hands, but I can't imagine using graffiti when I have a
    > keyboard available.

    If all I had to type was letters I'd agree, but for a mixture of letters,
    numbers and punctuation, graffiti would seem to be easier than trying to
    use the tiny keyboard and shift keys.

    Maybe I'll get used to it

    --
    David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

    [OS X] appeals to me as a monk, a user, a compiler-of-apps, a
    sometime coder, and an easily amused primate with a penchant
    for those that are pretty, colorful, and make nice noises.
    -- Dan Birchall, in The Monastery

  7. Re: New Treo - recommended software?

    In message <20070430100335.GB15728@bytemark.barnyard.co.uk> David
    Cantrell wrote:

    >On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 05:52:35PM -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >> I have large hands, but I can't imagine using graffiti when I have a
    >> keyboard available.

    >If all I had to type was letters I'd agree, but for a mixture of letters,
    >numbers and punctuation, graffiti would seem to be easier than trying to
    >use the tiny keyboard and shift keys.
    >
    >Maybe I'll get used to it

    For letters, numbers, and punctuation available on the keyboard, I can
    still type far faster on the keyboard then on graffiti (and I considered
    myself fairly fast using graffiti, although once I went to a T|X I
    started having issues with graffiti -- In all cases, I used graffiti 1)

    --
    Ah, the miracle mile, where value wears a neon sombrero and there's
    not a single church or library to offend the eye.
    -- Homer

  8. Re: New Treo - recommended software?

    Take a look at Keycaps650. I use it on my 650 and it works great -
    double tap a key to get the number or punctuation mark, hold it down
    to get the upper case letter. I don't know it if works on a 680.

    http://www.geekandproud.net/software/keycaps650.php

    Dan

    On Apr 30, 3:03 am, David Cantrell wrote:
    > On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 05:52:35PM -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:
    > > I have large hands, but I can't imagine using graffiti when I have a
    > > keyboard available.

    > If all I had to type was letters I'd agree, but for a mixture of letters,
    > numbers and punctuation, graffiti would seem to be easier than trying to
    > use the tiny keyboard and shift keys.
    >
    > Maybe I'll get used to it
    >
    > --
    > David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

  9. Re: New Treo - recommended software?

    On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 03:05:52PM -0700, kronhead wrote:

    > Take a look at Keycaps650. I use it on my 650 and it works great -
    > double tap a key to get the number or punctuation mark, hold it down
    > to get the upper case letter. I don't know it if works on a 680.

    It does, thanks!

    --
    David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

    When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life
    -- Samuel Johnson

+ Reply to Thread