Versamail IMAP in background - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Versamail IMAP in background - Palmtop ; I love how Versamail can poll and receive incoming mail in the background on my Treo 680. But I cannot figure out how to do the IMAP folder sync function in the background. Can it do this? After all, the ...

  1. Versamail IMAP in background

    I love how Versamail can poll and receive incoming mail in the
    background on my Treo 680.

    But I cannot figure out how to do the IMAP folder sync function
    in the background. Can it do this? After all, the sync
    functionality is why I switched from POP to IMAP in the first
    place. And waiting for a sync in the foreground, and again
    waiting to "empty the trash" (to remove deleted messages from the
    server) in the foreground is a real bother.

    If Versamail cannot sync in the background, how bout Snapper or
    Chatter? Or are these programs limited to only sending/receiving
    in the background like Versamail?

    Thanks Usenet Experts!
    Todd

    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

  2. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    In article , Todd Tannenbaum says...

    > I love how Versamail can poll and receive incoming mail in the
    > background on my Treo 680.
    >
    > But I cannot figure out how to do the IMAP folder sync function
    > in the background. Can it do this? After all, the sync
    > functionality is why I switched from POP to IMAP in the first
    > place. And waiting for a sync in the foreground, and again
    > waiting to "empty the trash" (to remove deleted messages from the
    > server) in the foreground is a real bother.
    >
    > If Versamail cannot sync in the background, how bout Snapper or
    > Chatter? Or are these programs limited to only sending/receiving
    > in the background like Versamail?
    >
    > Thanks Usenet Experts!
    > Todd

    Palm OS Garnet is not multi-tasking because of the licence for the
    Kernal at the core of the OS.

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  3. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

  4. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    Rob van Vliet wrote:
    >got so good in doing so that Palm hired him. The ChatterEmail product is
    >now officially owned by Palm.

    Great , but still no reliable POP client.
    Charter does not support POP3.
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  5. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    In message Gil Baron
    wrote:

    >Rob van Vliet wrote:
    >>got so good in doing so that Palm hired him. The ChatterEmail product is
    >>now officially owned by Palm.

    >Great , but still no reliable POP client.
    >Charter does not support POP3.

    1) ChatterEmail does support POP, although with some limitations.
    2) Get IMAP. Seriously.

    --
    Just sit through this NRA meeting Marge, and if you still
    don't think guns are great then we'll argue some more.

  6. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    In message <46391222$0$328$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> Rob van Vliet
    wrote:

    >The ChatterEmail product is
    >now officially owned by Palm.

    Did Palm buy ChatterEmail, or just hire the developer?

    There is a difference...

    --
    Just sit through this NRA meeting Marge, and if you still
    don't think guns are great then we'll argue some more.
    -- Homer Simpson

  7. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    In article <76vi33ht55vbts6q3oe5squ96aia095rj8@4ax.com>, DevilsPGD
    says...

    > In message <46391222$0$328$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> Rob van Vliet
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The ChatterEmail product is
    > >now officially owned by Palm.

    > Did Palm buy ChatterEmail, or just hire the developer?
    >
    > There is a difference...

    Both, rumor has it that a new version of Chattermail will replace
    Versamail as the Palm Standard email app for both Garnet and Palm OSII,
    the new Linux OS.

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  8. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    In message Jim
    Anderson wrote:

    >In article <76vi33ht55vbts6q3oe5squ96aia095rj8@4ax.com>, DevilsPGD
    >says...
    >
    >> In message <46391222$0$328$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> Rob van Vliet
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >The ChatterEmail product is
    >> >now officially owned by Palm.

    >> Did Palm buy ChatterEmail, or just hire the developer?
    >>
    >> There is a difference...

    >Both, rumor has it that a new version of Chattermail will replace
    >Versamail as the Palm Standard email app for both Garnet and Palm OSII,
    >the new Linux OS.

    Indeed. OTOH, we may see what happened to Versamail happen here, where
    virtually all support ceased and the product essentially died.

    I'll pay for an actively developed working product over a dead free one
    any day. Fingers crossed in the mean time.

    --
    Just sit through this NRA meeting Marge, and if you still
    don't think guns are great then we'll argue some more.
    -- Homer Simpson

  9. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    In article , DevilsPGD
    says...

    > In message Jim
    > Anderson wrote:
    >
    > >In article <76vi33ht55vbts6q3oe5squ96aia095rj8@4ax.com>, DevilsPGD
    > >says...

    > >> Did Palm buy ChatterEmail, or just hire the developer?
    > >>
    > >> There is a difference...

    > >Both, rumor has it that a new version of Chattermail will replace
    > >Versamail as the Palm Standard email app for both Garnet and Palm OSII,
    > >the new Linux OS.

    > Indeed. OTOH, we may see what happened to Versamail happen here, where
    > virtually all support ceased and the product essentially died.
    >
    > I'll pay for an actively developed working product over a dead free one
    > any day. Fingers crossed in the mean time.

    My T3 came with Versamail 2.61, I think the latest is 3.6, so
    development did no die, nor did support. It has worked great for me.

    What are you referring to?

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  10. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    In message Jim
    Anderson wrote:

    >My T3 came with Versamail 2.61, I think the latest is 3.6, so
    >development did no die, nor did support. It has worked great for me.
    >
    >What are you referring to?

    The version number has been incremented, but the basic functionality
    hasn't improved substantially, nor have any of the critical bugs been
    fixed (critical, meaning bugs which can cause data loss)

    --
    Just sit through this NRA meeting Marge, and if you still
    don't think guns are great then we'll argue some more.
    -- Homer Simpson

  11. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    > >What are you referring to?

    > The version number has been incremented, but the basic
    > functionality
    > hasn't improved substantially, nor have any of the critical
    > bugs been
    > fixed (critical, meaning bugs which can cause data loss)

    I'm using Versamail version 3.5.1 on a
    700p and have never experienced data
    loss. I think VM is OK but would like to
    be able to quote responses, do spell check
    and more easily export text. I find it
    cumbersome to select and copy text.

    --
    Doug via Treo handheld

  12. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    In message dhoffman@talkamerica.net (Doug
    Hoffman) wrote:

    >I'm using Versamail version 3.5.1 on a
    >700p and have never experienced data
    >loss.

    Try using the conduit against an IMAP account. At a minimum it will
    purge messages with the "deleted" flag (even if set by other mail
    clients) regardless of configuration.

    --
    EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.

  13. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    > Try using the conduit against an IMAP account. At a minimum
    > it will
    > purge messages with the "deleted" flag (even if set by other
    > mail
    > clients) regardless of configuration.

    Since I never use a conduit that will
    never be an issue for me.

    --
    Doug via Treo handheld

  14. Re: Versamail IMAP in background

    Hoffman) wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >> Try using the conduit against an IMAP account. At a minimum
    >> it will
    >> purge messages with the "deleted" flag (even if set by other
    >> mail
    >> clients) regardless of configuration.

    >Since I never use a conduit that will
    >never be an issue for me.

    That helps -- It's limited support for folders, lack of push support,
    and ineffective sync (against the server, not talking about the conduit)
    are still deal breakers for me though.

    It is a very obvious POP3 client, where someone added IMAP believing
    IMAP is just another way to pull mail, rather then understanding how
    IMAP is used in the real world.

    --
    EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.

+ Reply to Thread