Clearing BT Device Names on E2 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Clearing BT Device Names on E2 - Palmtop ; How would I remove all of the non-trusted device names off my E2? Someone (thinking they were clever) named their device something I won't repeat here....

  1. Clearing BT Device Names on E2

    How would I remove all of the non-trusted device names off my E2?

    Someone (thinking they were clever) named their device something I
    won't repeat here.

  2. Re: Clearing BT Device Names on E2

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 01:19:10 +0100, Erik wrote:

    > How would I remove all of the non-trusted device names off my E2?
    >
    > Someone (thinking they were clever) named their device something I
    > won't repeat here.

    Go to Bluetooth. Tap on Setup Devices. Tap on Trusted Devices. Select the
    offending item and tap Details... Tap on Delete Device. Done!

    --
    Regards, etc.
    Jonathan Quirk

  3. Re: Clearing BT Device Names on E2

    It is alleged that Jonathan Quirk claimed:

    > Go to Bluetooth. Tap on Setup Devices. Tap on Trusted Devices. Select the
    > offending item and tap Details... Tap on Delete Device. Done!

    The OP said that the device in question is an UNtrusted device. All
    you can do from the BT Setup Devices is designate if it's a trusted
    device or not. You cannot delete it from the full list of known
    devices.

    Try this: http://3division.net/hub/btcached/

    NOTE: This program always crashes my Treo 680, but it usually worked
    on my Treo 650.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the
    peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an
    assignment." - George W. Bush, Jan 14, 2001

  4. Re: Clearing BT Device Names on E2

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:14:53 +0100, Jeffrey Kaplan
    wrote:

    > It is alleged that Jonathan Quirk claimed:
    >
    >> Go to Bluetooth. Tap on Setup Devices. Tap on Trusted Devices. Select
    >> the
    >> offending item and tap Details... Tap on Delete Device. Done!

    > The OP said that the device in question is an UNtrusted device. All
    > you can do from the BT Setup Devices is designate if it's a trusted
    > device or not. You cannot delete it from the full list of known
    > devices.
    >
    > Try this: http://3division.net/hub/btcached/
    >
    > NOTE: This program always crashes my Treo 680, but it usually worked
    > on my Treo 650.

    I realised that seconds after I posted my reply (doh!) but I know of no
    other list on the E2 of bluetooth devices. When you follow the steps I
    outlined the name doesn't disappear from the list BUT when you close the
    list and re-open it the deleted name has gone. The only other suggestion I
    have is to go to the Bluetooth app and tap the menu button and select
    "Disable device name cache". A soft reset should then flush the cache,
    after which it can be re-enabled. I hope that's a better answer than my
    first attempt.

    --
    Regards, etc.
    Jonathan Quirk
    jonathan AT quirk DOT force9 DOT co DOT uk
    Ascot, Berkshire, UK

  5. Re: Clearing BT Device Names on E2

    Found the answer to my own question. Using FileZ, I unprotected and
    deleted the file named something along the lines of "Bluetooth Device
    Name Cache". This worked, although the trusted devices (the ones that
    have been password approved) also had their names deleted, replaced by
    the device address.

    I couldn't find this file on the PC for deletion, and I haven't synced
    yet, so this problem may return. If it does, I'll drop another
    message here.

  6. Re: Clearing BT Device Names on E2

    "Erik" wrote in message
    news:1177380579.467887.88140@d57g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    > Found the answer to my own question. Using FileZ, I unprotected and
    > deleted the file named something along the lines of "Bluetooth Device
    > Name Cache". This worked, although the trusted devices (the ones that
    > have been password approved) also had their names deleted, replaced by
    > the device address.
    >
    > I couldn't find this file on the PC for deletion, and I haven't synced
    > yet, so this problem may return. If it does, I'll drop another
    > message here.

    Just a thought: could you have told your PDA the device is trusted and then
    delete it?

    --

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  7. Re: Clearing BT Device Names on E2

    It is alleged that Harold Fuchs claimed:

    > Just a thought: could you have told your PDA the device is trusted and then
    > delete it?

    That's how they become untrusted. When you add a device, it's
    automatically trusted, because you have to provide the passcode when
    it's added. That places it in the Trusted Devices list. When you
    delete it from the Trusted Devices list, it's removed from there, but
    it stays in the All Devices list.

    There is no way to re-trust a device without communicating with it to
    verify the passcode.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #76.
    If the hero runs up to my roof, I will not run up after him and
    struggle with him in an attempt to push him over the edge. I will also
    not engage him at the edge of a cliff. (In the middle of a rope-bridge
    over a river of molten lava is not even worth considering.)

  8. Re: Clearing BT Device Names on E2

    On Apr 24, 3:32 am, "Harold Fuchs" wrote:
    > "Erik" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1177380579.467887.88140@d57g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...> Found the answer to my own question. Using FileZ, I unprotected and
    > > deleted the file named something along the lines of "Bluetooth Device
    > > Name Cache". This worked, although the trusted devices (the ones that
    > > have been password approved) also had their names deleted, replaced by
    > > the device address.

    > > I couldn't find this file on the PC for deletion, and I haven't synced
    > > yet, so this problem may return. If it does, I'll drop another
    > > message here.

    > Just a thought: could you have told your PDA the device is trusted and then
    > delete it?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harold Fuchs
    > London, England

    No, because having a device become a "trusted" device needs the
    consent of the other device.

    I think this is a good safeguard that the programmers who made BT work
    added. This helps prevent people from adding a device and then
    sending crap (viruses, etc.) to the other device (although I'm sure
    someone who had the right resources could figure out how to BT stuff
    to other devices).

+ Reply to Thread