Integrated Dictionary Recommendation - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Integrated Dictionary Recommendation - Palmtop ; I read a lot of books on my palm. Primarily I've been using isilo reader but there's one 'feature' that I'd like to see and I was wondering if it's out there via a plugin or with some other software ...

  1. Integrated Dictionary Recommendation

    I read a lot of books on my palm. Primarily I've been using isilo
    reader but there's one 'feature' that I'd like to see and I was
    wondering if it's out there via a plugin or with some other software
    package.

    An integrated dictionary.

    When I come across an unknown word I'd like to be able to easily look
    it up (selecting the word in the reader would be ideal) and then
    quickly return to the book upon closing the dictionary.

    This would come in even handier (for me) when attempting foreign
    language books... requiring foreign language dictionaries of course
    (or LanguageX <--> English Dictionaries).

    Does anyone know of anything approaching this functionality?

  2. Re: Integrated Dictionary Recommendation

    I don't use iSilo, but use eReader all the time to read ebooks.
    And eReader works like you desire: if you highlight a word it can
    pop up the definition, and the one click later you are back to
    your book. To set it up you just need to purchase a dictionary
    file from ereader.com (or wherever)... I like Websters
    Collegiate.

    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

  3. Re: Integrated Dictionary Recommendation

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:39:45 GMT-6, tannenba@csNO.SPAMwisc.edu (Todd
    Tannenbaum) wrote:

    >I don't use iSilo, but use eReader all the time to read ebooks.
    >And eReader works like you desire: if you highlight a word it can
    >pop up the definition, and the one click later you are back to
    >your book. To set it up you just need to purchase a dictionary
    >file from ereader.com (or wherever)... I like Websters
    >Collegiate.

    Thanks Todd.

    I'll give it a try. You don't happen to know about the foreign
    language side of things do you -- or what format the dictionaries have
    to be in?

    I already have 'pocketlingo' and the 'American Heritage College
    Dictionary' but I suspect that won't fly...

  4. Re: Integrated Dictionary Recommendation

    > Thanks Todd.
    >
    > I'll give it a try. You don't happen to know about the
    > foreign
    > language side of things do you -- or what format the
    > dictionaries have
    > to be in?
    >
    > I already have 'pocketlingo' and the 'American Heritage
    > College
    > Dictionary' but I suspect that won't fly...

    Sorry, I don't know answers to the questions above. But I
    suspect you are correct - I doubt these dictionary formats are
    interchangable. .

    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

  5. Re: Integrated Dictionary Recommendation

    "Holy Batman!" wrote in message
    news01m1358ojq3gbd9bipafi5nk2kel57avg@4ax.com...
    >I read a lot of books on my palm. Primarily I've been using isilo
    > reader but there's one 'feature' that I'd like to see and I was
    > wondering if it's out there via a plugin or with some other software
    > package.
    >
    > An integrated dictionary.
    >
    > When I come across an unknown word I'd like to be able to easily look
    > it up (selecting the word in the reader would be ideal) and then
    > quickly return to the book upon closing the dictionary.
    >
    > This would come in even handier (for me) when attempting foreign
    > language books... requiring foreign language dictionaries of course
    > (or LanguageX <--> English Dictionaries).
    >
    > Does anyone know of anything approaching this functionality?

    I have an idea for you, which may or may not work. Download two freeware programs:
    Accessorizer, and DALauncher. In Accessorizer make your dictionary a DA. Now the
    dictionary should pop up over your work, and you can find your word. Tap on home and
    it should take you back to your spot. If you Google Accessorizer, and then DA
    Launcher, you can find the web sites where you can download these.

    Adam

  6. Re: Integrated Dictionary Recommendation

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:54:52 -0700, "Adam Helberg"
    wrote:

    >"Holy Batman!" wrote in message
    >news01m1358ojq3gbd9bipafi5nk2kel57avg@4ax.com...
    >>I read a lot of books on my palm. Primarily I've been using isilo
    >> reader but there's one 'feature' that I'd like to see and I was
    >> wondering if it's out there via a plugin or with some other software
    >> package.
    >>
    >> An integrated dictionary.
    >>
    >> When I come across an unknown word I'd like to be able to easily look
    >> it up (selecting the word in the reader would be ideal) and then
    >> quickly return to the book upon closing the dictionary.
    >>
    >> This would come in even handier (for me) when attempting foreign
    >> language books... requiring foreign language dictionaries of course
    >> (or LanguageX <--> English Dictionaries).
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of anything approaching this functionality?

    >I have an idea for you, which may or may not work. Download two freeware programs:
    >Accessorizer, and DALauncher. In Accessorizer make your dictionary a DA. Now the
    >dictionary should pop up over your work, and you can find your word. Tap on home and
    >it should take you back to your spot. If you Google Accessorizer, and then DA
    >Launcher, you can find the web sites where you can download these.
    >
    >Adam

    Cool idea! Thanks Adam.

    I'll give this a try, though I already coughed up a few bucks for
    eReader and was just trying to figure out which dictionary.

    At least now I'll have something to compare it to.

    That's what I had originally been thinking about: some sort of hack to
    allow a second program to run.

  7. Re: Integrated Dictionary Recommendation

    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:54:52 -0700, "Adam Helberg"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Holy Batman!" wrote in message
    >>news01m1358ojq3gbd9bipafi5nk2kel57avg@4ax.com...
    >>>I read a lot of books on my palm. Primarily I've been using isilo
    >>> reader but there's one 'feature' that I'd like to see and I was
    >>> wondering if it's out there via a plugin or with some other software
    >>> package.
    >>>
    >>> An integrated dictionary.
    >>>
    >>> When I come across an unknown word I'd like to be able to easily look
    >>> it up (selecting the word in the reader would be ideal) and then
    >>> quickly return to the book upon closing the dictionary.
    >>>
    >>> This would come in even handier (for me) when attempting foreign
    >>> language books... requiring foreign language dictionaries of course
    >>> (or LanguageX <--> English Dictionaries).
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of anything approaching this functionality?

    >>I have an idea for you, which may or may not work. Download two freeware programs:
    >>Accessorizer, and DALauncher. In Accessorizer make your dictionary a DA. Now the
    >>dictionary should pop up over your work, and you can find your word. Tap on home
    >>and
    >>it should take you back to your spot. If you Google Accessorizer, and then DA
    >>Launcher, you can find the web sites where you can download these.
    >>
    >>Adam

    > Cool idea! Thanks Adam.
    >
    > I'll give this a try, though I already coughed up a few bucks for
    > eReader and was just trying to figure out which dictionary.
    >
    > At least now I'll have something to compare it to.
    >
    > That's what I had originally been thinking about: some sort of hack to
    > allow a second program to run.

    Unfortunately I cannot use Ereader as a DA on my Garmin iQue 3600. It crashes. One
    explanation is that my PDA does not have enough dynamic memory to run Ereader as a
    DA. Ereader is a dynamic memory hog. If you have a TX in may work. The TX has twice
    the dynamic memory of my Garmin.

    Adam

  8. Re: Integrated Dictionary Recommendation

    "Holy Batman!" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:54:52 -0700, "Adam Helberg"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Holy Batman!" wrote in message
    >>news01m1358ojq3gbd9bipafi5nk2kel57avg@4ax.com...
    >>>I read a lot of books on my palm. Primarily I've been using isilo
    >>> reader but there's one 'feature' that I'd like to see and I was
    >>> wondering if it's out there via a plugin or with some other software
    >>> package.
    >>>
    >>> An integrated dictionary.
    >>>
    >>> When I come across an unknown word I'd like to be able to easily look
    >>> it up (selecting the word in the reader would be ideal) and then
    >>> quickly return to the book upon closing the dictionary.
    >>>
    >>> This would come in even handier (for me) when attempting foreign
    >>> language books... requiring foreign language dictionaries of course
    >>> (or LanguageX <--> English Dictionaries).
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of anything approaching this functionality?

    >>I have an idea for you, which may or may not work. Download two freeware programs:
    >>Accessorizer, and DALauncher. In Accessorizer make your dictionary a DA. Now the
    >>dictionary should pop up over your work, and you can find your word. Tap on home
    >>and
    >>it should take you back to your spot. If you Google Accessorizer, and then DA
    >>Launcher, you can find the web sites where you can download these.
    >>
    >>Adam

    > Cool idea! Thanks Adam.
    >
    > I'll give this a try, though I already coughed up a few bucks for
    > eReader and was just trying to figure out which dictionary.
    >
    > At least now I'll have something to compare it to.
    >
    > That's what I had originally been thinking about: some sort of hack to
    > allow a second program to run.

    If you have Accessorizer another good idea is to make Applications a DA. Then you can
    access any program, that will work, as a DA. Some programs though just do not work as
    DAs.

    Adam

  9. Re: Integrated Dictionary Recommendation

    On Apr 10, 1:39 am, tanne...@csNO.SPAMwisc.edu (Todd Tannenbaum)
    wrote:
    > I don't use iSilo, but use eReader all the time to read ebooks.
    > And eReader works like you desire: if you highlight a word it can
    > pop up the definition, and the one click later you are back to
    > your book. To set it up you just need to purchase adictionary
    > file from ereader.com (or wherever)... I like Websters
    > Collegiate.

    Mi:d is better and cheaper and has simple tools to allow user-
    generated dictionaries!
    http://www.pdathaipalm.com/product/mid/

    The only problem is that it appears to be dead and, despite many
    attempts, I have been unable to contact the author or make a payment
    to get a license key. PLEASE let me know if any of you have been
    successful!

  10. Re: Integrated Dictionary Recommendation

    On 19 Apr 2007 12:51:48 -0700, wood****@SonLightSoftware.com wrote:

    >On Apr 10, 1:39 am, tanne...@csNO.SPAMwisc.edu (Todd Tannenbaum)
    >wrote:
    >> I don't use iSilo, but use eReader all the time to read ebooks.
    >> And eReader works like you desire: if you highlight a word it can
    >> pop up the definition, and the one click later you are back to
    >> your book. To set it up you just need to purchase adictionary
    >> file from ereader.com (or wherever)... I like Websters
    >> Collegiate.

    >Mi:d is better and cheaper and has simple tools to allow user-
    >generated dictionaries!
    >http://www.pdathaipalm.com/product/mid/
    >
    >The only problem is that it appears to be dead and, despite many
    >attempts, I have been unable to contact the author or make a payment
    >to get a license key. PLEASE let me know if any of you have been
    >successful!

    why do you find it better?
    more features?

+ Reply to Thread