Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ... - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ... - Palmtop ; what? I'm new to things Palm and was considering buying either the Lifedrive or Tungsten TX. There are still some Lifedrives available. I've googled a bit and see the TX isn't all that old so a new Palm handheld at ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

  1. Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    what?

    I'm new to things Palm and was considering buying either the Lifedrive or
    Tungsten TX. There are still some Lifedrives available. I've googled a bit
    and see the TX isn't all that old so a new Palm handheld at that level will
    be a ways off. But with the Lifedrive being pulled I wonder if there's some
    news or serious rumors of a replacement in the near future. My googling
    didn't show anything.

    Just curious as to any rumors or any wild speculation from folks here.

    Maybe a Treo with Wi-Fi?

    --

    Tim
    lance_1012@hotmail.com

  2. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    Tim Lance wrote:
    > what?
    >
    > I'm new to things Palm and was considering buying either the Lifedrive or
    > Tungsten TX. There are still some Lifedrives available. I've googled a bit
    > and see the TX isn't all that old so a new Palm handheld at that level will
    > be a ways off. But with the Lifedrive being pulled I wonder if there's some
    > news or serious rumors of a replacement in the near future. My googling
    > didn't show anything.
    >
    > Just curious as to any rumors or any wild speculation from folks here.
    >
    > Maybe a Treo with Wi-Fi?

    Tim, I've moved from a Palm IIIxe, to m125, to Tungsten E. E2. and now
    TX. Each of them served me well, although as a heavy user I stressed
    them. The TX is a marvelous unit, and unless you need one for its cell
    phone, I'm not sure why one would pay the premium.. YMMV, and we'll see
    who adds what here

    --
    Ron Miller, Baltimore, MD, USA

  3. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    In message Tim Lance
    wrote:

    >what?
    >
    >I'm new to things Palm and was considering buying either the Lifedrive or
    >Tungsten TX. There are still some Lifedrives available. I've googled a bit
    >and see the TX isn't all that old so a new Palm handheld at that level will
    >be a ways off. But with the Lifedrive being pulled I wonder if there's some
    >news or serious rumors of a replacement in the near future. My googling
    >didn't show anything.

    What does the life drive offer that a T|X with a 4GB memory card
    couldn't do for a fraction of the price?

    >Maybe a Treo with Wi-Fi?

    That would be nice...
    --
    Insert something clever here.

  4. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 14:46:26 -0500, DevilsPGD wrote
    (in article ):

    > In message Tim Lance
    > wrote:
    >
    >> what?
    >>
    >> I'm new to things Palm and was considering buying either the Lifedrive or
    >> Tungsten TX. There are still some Lifedrives available. I've googled a bit
    >> and see the TX isn't all that old so a new Palm handheld at that level will
    >> be a ways off. But with the Lifedrive being pulled I wonder if there's some
    >> news or serious rumors of a replacement in the near future. My googling
    >> didn't show anything.

    > What does the life drive offer that a T|X with a 4GB memory card
    > couldn't do for a fraction of the price?

    Nothing much I guess if it's true it can handle the 4 gig card. i thought it
    had a 2 GB limit. I do like the Lifedrive having a voice recorder but my
    phone will do that and in actuality I'm more likely to have my phone on me
    than my PDA. It's more that there have been some good prices on eBay. But
    overall I am leaning to the TX. The weight of the Lifedrive, and the slight
    delay of drive needing to spinup are more negatives. OTOH, should Palm offer
    up something lighter with an 8 gig flash drive a la iPod Nano, that'd be
    something to look at. Hmmm, perhaps something to compete with the iPhone.

    >> Maybe a Treo with Wi-Fi?

    > That would be nice...

    I'd buy an iPhone if:

    1) if it didn't require Cingular
    2) was a 1st generation device

    --

    Tim
    lance_1012@hotmail.com

  5. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 13:52:04 -0500, Ron Miller wrote
    (in article ):

    > Tim Lance wrote:
    >> what?
    >>
    >> I'm new to things Palm and was considering buying either the Lifedrive or
    >> Tungsten TX. There are still some Lifedrives available. I've googled a bit
    >> and see the TX isn't all that old so a new Palm handheld at that level will
    >> be a ways off. But with the Lifedrive being pulled I wonder if there's some
    >> news or serious rumors of a replacement in the near future. My googling
    >> didn't show anything.
    >>
    >> Just curious as to any rumors or any wild speculation from folks here.
    >>
    >> Maybe a Treo with Wi-Fi?
    >>

    > Tim, I've moved from a Palm IIIxe, to m125, to Tungsten E. E2. and now
    > TX. Each of them served me well, although as a heavy user I stressed
    > them. The TX is a marvelous unit, and unless you need one for its cell
    > phone, I'm not sure why one would pay the premium.. YMMV, and we'll see
    > who adds what here

    Thanks for the report. See other reply for my comments re: phones/need.

    Definitely leaning towards TX - sub $200 for refurbished on eBay. That'd tide
    me over ntil the next wave of great new things.

    --

    Tim
    lance_1012@hotmail.com

  6. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Apr 9, 2:52 pm, Ron Miller wrote:
    > Tim, I've moved from a Palm IIIxe, to m125, to Tungsten E. E2. and now
    > TX. Each of them served me well, although as a heavy user I stressed
    > them. The TX is a marvelous unit, and unless you need one for its cell
    > phone, I'm not sure why one would pay the premium.. YMMV, and we'll see
    > who adds what here
    > Ron Miller, Baltimore, MD, USA

    I also had a Palm IIIxe, and moved from it directly to the TX. (My
    IIIxe is still ticking! I gave it to my 10 year old son, who always
    asked to borrow it in restraunts to play games on.) I love my TX.
    It's "nearly" a perfect PDA, as long as you don't need it to also be a
    phone. (Personally, I like my phones to be just phones, and replace
    them free every 2 years when I renew my service contract.) All the TX
    lacks is a camera, and a microphone -- minor cons in my book. I use
    it for the typical PDA contact manager and calendar functions, playing
    games, reading the news offline using Avantgo, MP3 music player, video/
    movie viewing, and finally web-browsing/sending/receiving emails -- as
    long as I'm near a WiFi hotspot, which includes the wireless network
    in my house.

    The Lifedrive, on the other hand, has been universally panned by
    critics and users alike. That's the main reason it's been
    discontinued ... it's a lemon! It's big and clunky, and the use of a
    hard-drive causes it to load applications VERY SLOWLY. The flash-
    based TX is a much better choice between the two.

  7. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Apr 9, 3:58 pm, Tim Lance wrote:

    > Nothing much I guess if it's true it can handle the 4 gig card. i thought it
    > had a 2 GB limit....

    > I'd buy an iPhone if:
    > 1) if it didn't require Cingular
    > 2) was a 1st generation device
    > Tim
    > lance_1...@hotmail.com

    1) The TX does, indeed handle a 4 GB card -- I have one in mine, and
    it works fine!
    2) The iPhone looks lke a WAY cool device ... but it forces you to use
    the Mac OS. As such, you cannot download any 3rd-party applications.
    That's always been one of the beauties of the Palm OS -- there are
    thousands of free programs, games and utilities out there. Apple does
    not allow that kind of freedom. You only get what they decide you
    need on the iPhone, and nothing more. And, yes, it will require you
    to use Cingular -- and, of course, will also require you pay a huge
    additional monthly fee for Internet access over and above the phone
    usage contract.

  8. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 15:03:46 -0500, mdspiro@gmail.com wrote
    (in article <1176149026.351586.65000@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.c om>):

    > On Apr 9, 2:52 pm, Ron Miller wrote:
    >> Tim, I've moved from a Palm IIIxe, to m125, to Tungsten E. E2. and now
    >> TX. Each of them served me well, although as a heavy user I stressed
    >> them. The TX is a marvelous unit, and unless you need one for its cell
    >> phone, I'm not sure why one would pay the premium.. YMMV, and we'll see
    >> who adds what here
    >> Ron Miller, Baltimore, MD, USA

    > I also had a Palm IIIxe, and moved from it directly to the TX. (My
    > IIIxe is still ticking! I gave it to my 10 year old son, who always
    > asked to borrow it in restraunts to play games on.) I love my TX.
    > It's "nearly" a perfect PDA, as long as you don't need it to also be a
    > phone. (Personally, I like my phones to be just phones, and replace
    > them free every 2 years when I renew my service contract.) All the TX
    > lacks is a camera, and a microphone -- minor cons in my book. I use
    > it for the typical PDA contact manager and calendar functions, playing
    > games, reading the news offline using Avantgo, MP3 music player, video/
    > movie viewing, and finally web-browsing/sending/receiving emails -- as
    > long as I'm near a WiFi hotspot, which includes the wireless network
    > in my house.
    >
    > The Lifedrive, on the other hand, has been universally panned by
    > critics and users alike. That's the main reason it's been
    > discontinued ... it's a lemon! It's big and clunky, and the use of a
    > hard-drive causes it to load applications VERY SLOWLY. The flash-
    > based TX is a much better choice between the two.

    Great to hear your input.

    --

    Tim
    lance_1012@hotmail.com

  9. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 15:14:51 -0500, mdspiro@gmail.com wrote
    (in article <1176149691.564692.71590@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>):

    > On Apr 9, 3:58 pm, Tim Lance wrote:
    >
    >> Nothing much I guess if it's true it can handle the 4 gig card. i thought it
    >> had a 2 GB limit....

    >> I'd buy an iPhone if:
    >> 1) if it didn't require Cingular
    >> 2) was a 1st generation device
    >> Tim
    >> lance_1...@hotmail.com

    > 1) The TX does, indeed handle a 4 GB card -- I have one in mine, and
    > it works fine!

    Excellent. Thanks for the info.

    > 2) The iPhone looks lke a WAY cool device ... but it forces you to use
    > the Mac OS. As such, you cannot download any 3rd-party applications.
    > That's always been one of the beauties of the Palm OS -- there are
    > thousands of free programs, games and utilities out there. Apple does
    > not allow that kind of freedom. You only get what they decide you
    > need on the iPhone, and nothing more.

    Well, if it sells then 3rd parties will come, just as they have for the
    desktops/laptops. No, not the totality, but, in the main, I believe they
    will. It'll be that long before I get around to getting one. Besides the
    software I'm just as worried about the maturity. As cool as the iPod was 5
    years ago, compared to what's there now, it's a clunker of a dinosaur.

    > And, yes, it will require you
    > to use Cingular -- and, of course, will also require you pay a huge
    > additional monthly fee for Internet access over and above the phone
    > usage contract.

    And then there's that!

    --

    Tim
    lance_1012@hotmail.com

  10. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    In message <1176149691.564692.71590@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>
    "mdspiro@gmail.com" wrote:

    >2) The iPhone looks lke a WAY cool device ... but it forces you to use
    >the Mac OS. As such, you cannot download any 3rd-party applications.

    huh?

    You won't catch me with any fruity hardware, but why couldn't you
    install whatever you want on it?
    --
    Insert something clever here.

  11. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >2) The iPhone looks lke a WAY cool device ... but it forces you to use
    > >the Mac OS. As such, you cannot download any 3rd-party applications.

    > huh?
    >
    > You won't catch me with any fruity hardware, but why couldn't you
    > install whatever you want on it?

    Probably because Apple has stated that they will not allow any third
    party programs for the iPhone.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Yeah, what are you looking at?" "Run diagnostics." "What you got a
    broken arm or something? I got a station to run here!" (Sparky The
    Computer and Mr. Garibaldi, B5 "Ceremonies Of Light And Dark")

  12. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    In message <2srl13p40ujuk95qia6956f07qfgo59ri0@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> >2) The iPhone looks lke a WAY cool device ... but it forces you to use
    >> >the Mac OS. As such, you cannot download any 3rd-party applications.

    >> huh?
    >>
    >> You won't catch me with any fruity hardware, but why couldn't you
    >> install whatever you want on it?

    >Probably because Apple has stated that they will not allow any third
    >party programs for the iPhone.

    IIRC didn't they say that about the iPod originally too?
    --
    Insert something clever here.

  13. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    Hello, Tim Lance !
    You wrote:

    > OTOH, should Palm offer
    > up something lighter with an 8 gig flash drive a la iPod Nano,
    > that'd be
    > something to look at. Hmmm, perhaps something to compete with
    > the iPhone.

    I have an 8gig flash sd card (Transcend) in my Treo 680. Works
    great, and you can buy the card from newegg.com for about $50
    these days.

    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

  14. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Apr 10, 1:04 am, DevilsPGD wrote:
    > In message <2srl13p40ujuk95qia6956f07qfgo59...@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    >
    > Kaplan wrote:
    > >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >> huh?

    > >> You won't catch me with any fruity hardware, but why couldn't you
    > >> install whatever you want on it?

    > >Probably because Apple has stated that they will not allow any third
    > >party programs for the iPhone.

    > IIRC didn't they say that about the iPod originally too?
    > --
    > Insert something clever here.

  15. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Apr 10, 1:04 am, DevilsPGD wrote:
    > In message <2srl13p40ujuk95qia6956f07qfgo59...@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    >
    > Kaplan wrote:
    > >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >> huh?

    > >> You won't catch me with any fruity hardware, but why couldn't you
    > >> install whatever you want on it?

    > >Probably because Apple has stated that they will not allow any third
    > >party programs for the iPhone.

    > IIRC didn't they say that about the iPod originally too?
    > --
    > Insert something clever here.

    Apple devices like the iPhone and the iPod are not set up to allow
    installing programs that you download from any source other than
    Apple. You can always add music and video files for playback on the
    device, but not applications. This is not like having a laptop (or
    any Palm device) where you can always customize it with new software.
    It's possible that Apple will eventually offer extra utilities,
    desktop wigits, games, etc. ... but at least in the beginning, it
    seems that the iPhone device will be limited to what's on it when you
    buy it.

  16. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Apr 9, 5:36 pm, tanne...@csNO.SPAMwisc.edu (Todd Tannenbaum) wrote:
    > Hello, Tim Lance !
    >
    > You wrote:
    > > OTOH, should Palm offer
    > > up something lighter with an 8 gig flash drive a la iPod Nano,
    > > that'd be
    > > something to look at. Hmmm, perhaps something to compete with
    > > the iPhone.

    > I have an 8gig flash sd card (Transcend) in my Treo 680. Works
    > great, and you can buy the card from newegg.com for about $50
    > these days.
    >
    > --
    > Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

    I've never heard of an SD card larger than 4 GB. Are you sure yours
    is 8GB???

  17. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    Per mdspiro@gmail.com:
    >Apple devices like the iPhone and the iPod are not set up to allow
    >installing programs that you download from any source other than
    >Apple. You can always add music and video files for playback on the
    >device, but not applications. This is not like having a laptop (or
    >any Palm device) where you can always customize it with new software.
    >It's possible that Apple will eventually offer extra utilities,
    >desktop wigits, games, etc. ... but at least in the beginning, it
    >seems that the iPhone device will be limited to what's on it when you
    >buy it.

    Slow learner that I am, I'm on my second iPod.

    Not only that, I was foolish enough to rip all my CDs to M4a instead of MP3.

    When I bought my first iPod, the form factor and the UI were just so elegant
    compared to the two other devices I toyed with before buying the iPod that I
    think I can excuse myself for that one.

    And the second one was more of the same - nobody had the ease of use at the time
    and I *did* have all those tracks ripped to M4a.

    But now it seems like just about everybody's on board with the physical UI and
    most of them offer FM radio too.

    And the implications of highly-proprietary vs open-source/generic in such a
    device are finally starting to dawn on me.

    Unless Apple can come up some killer feature by the time I need another device,
    I think this will be my last Apple product.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  18. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:56:39 -0500, PeteCresswell) wrote
    (in article <3o8o13pfphd7er1p8al82mh698ipi4gsiu@4ax.com>):

    > Per mdspiro@gmail.com:
    >> Apple devices like the iPhone and the iPod are not set up to allow
    >> installing programs that you download from any source other than
    >> Apple. You can always add music and video files for playback on the
    >> device, but not applications. This is not like having a laptop (or
    >> any Palm device) where you can always customize it with new software.
    >> It's possible that Apple will eventually offer extra utilities,
    >> desktop wigits, games, etc. ... but at least in the beginning, it
    >> seems that the iPhone device will be limited to what's on it when you
    >> buy it.

    > Slow learner that I am, I'm on my second iPod.
    >
    > Not only that, I was foolish enough to rip all my CDs to M4a instead of MP3.
    >
    > When I bought my first iPod, the form factor and the UI were just so elegant
    > compared to the two other devices I toyed with before buying the iPod that I
    > think I can excuse myself for that one.
    >
    > And the second one was more of the same - nobody had the ease of use at the
    > time
    > and I *did* have all those tracks ripped to M4a.
    >
    > But now it seems like just about everybody's on board with the physical UI

    and
    > most of them offer FM radio too.
    >
    > And the implications of highly-proprietary vs open-source/generic in such a
    > device are finally starting to dawn on me.
    >
    > Unless Apple can come up some killer feature by the time I need another
    > device,
    > I think this will be my last Apple product.

    You do realize you didn't have to go to M4A?

    --

    Tim
    lance_1012@hotmail.com

  19. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    It is alleged that (PeteCresswell) claimed:

    > Slow learner that I am, I'm on my second iPod.

    I had only one, my brother has it now (I outgrew it, it's a 15GB
    model).

    > Not only that, I was foolish enough to rip all my CDs to M4a instead of MP3.

    I could never stand iTunes, I ripped everything to mp3 so I could
    continue to use my preferred desktop software.

    > When I bought my first iPod, the form factor and the UI were just so elegant
    > compared to the two other devices I toyed with before buying the iPod that I
    > think I can excuse myself for that one.

    Same here. It is a well designed item as far as that goes. It's just
    incompatible with anything else. Of course, the flip side to that is
    nothing else is compatible with the iPod.

    > Unless Apple can come up some killer feature by the time I need another device,
    > I think this will be my last Apple product.

    I like the Creative Zen Vision:M, it's what I'm using now.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    If I Am Ever the Sidekick... 1. If the hero tells me to stay put while
    he goes on ahead, I will do so instead of sneaking around and getting
    captured.

  20. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    Hello, mdspiro@gmail.com!
    You wrote:

    > On Apr 9, 5:36 pm, tanne...@csNO.SPAMwisc.edu (Todd
    > Tannenbaum) wrote:
    > > Hello, Tim Lance !
    > >
    > > You wrote:
    > > > OTOH, should Palm offer
    > > > up something lighter with an 8 gig flash drive a la iPod
    > > > Nano,
    > > > that'd be
    > > > something to look at. Hmmm, perhaps something to compete
    > > > with
    > > > the iPhone.

    > > I have an 8gig flash sd card (Transcend) in my Treo 680.
    > > Works
    > > great, and you can buy the card from newegg.com for about
    > > $50
    > > these days.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

    > I've never heard of an SD card larger than 4 GB. Are you sure
    > yours
    > is 8GB???

    Absolutely sure; see URL below. I guess to be precise, it is an
    SDHC card. The Treo 680 supports SDHC, and this 8gb card works
    great in it. In fact, I am listening to music off of it via
    PocketTunes as I type this post in Yanoff. .

    The Treo 680 was the first (and currently only) Palm OS device
    to support an SDHC card. However, others have reported success
    650 and having it work. The file you need from the 680 has been
    uploaded to the formus on treocentral.com - google it.

    Note analysts are predicting 32gb SDHC cards by the end of this
    year. Another reason why the Treo trumps the iPhone - memory
    in the iPhone is not expandable (no sd slot).

    My card at newegg.com ($69):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...208088&Local=y