Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ... - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ... - Palmtop ; On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:56:39 -0500, PeteCresswell) wrote (in article ): > Not only that, I was foolish enough to rip all my CDs to M4a instead of MP3. You can rip your songs to mp3, but as I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

  1. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:56:39 -0500, PeteCresswell) wrote
    (in article <3o8o13pfphd7er1p8al82mh698ipi4gsiu@4ax.com>):

    > Not only that, I was foolish enough to rip all my CDs to M4a instead of MP3.

    You can rip your songs to mp3, but as I recall you'll need to set the bit
    rate up to around 192kbps to match AAC 128's quality.

    Of course, that'll bloat each song up by about 50%, but if you don't want AAC
    you have to take the storage penalty.

    OTOH, you could probably just rip to mp3 128 - after all, until AAC everyone
    was pretty satisfied with those.

    The iPod will handle either format.

    If you want WMA, you'll have to go with someone else's solution.

  2. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    Per Tim Lance:
    >You do realize you didn't have to go to M4A?

    Realized from Day 1... just figured it was probably a better format.. but was
    too stupid to check out it's portability.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  3. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    mdspiro@gmail.com wrote:
    >without those wish-list items, I still think the TX is a great device
    >at a great price!

    I love my TX but it is not clse toan IPOD brease of use for music and podcasts,short battery life, no remote.
    Cada a su manera
    To each his own
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  4. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:38:21 -0500, PeteCresswell) wrote
    (in article ):

    > Per Tim Lance:
    >> You do realize you didn't have to go to M4A?

    > Realized from Day 1... just figured it was probably a better format.. but was
    > too stupid to check out it's portability.

    Great format, yes. But, users are SOL with hardware players. There are
    plug-ins for most software players. Disclaimer: I haven't used any of them.

    --

    Tim
    lance_1012@hotmail.com

  5. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Apr 11, 10:23 am, Tim Lance wrote:
    > I have a 2nd generation iPod I seldom use (but do love it when I do use it).
    > For day to day use I've used my E2 with a 1 GB card. but the expanded memory
    > ability of the TX, plus Wi-Fi has me hunting one. Also, with Sailing Clicker,
    > it can run my music on the home server through iTunes. My E2 can do it, too,
    > but only Bluetooth.
    > Tim
    > lance_1...@hotmail.com

    I have a 4GB SD card in my TX, and right now I have 500+ songs on it
    plus 2 full-length movies, with room to spare. I've heard that it
    even supports 8GB and larger SD cards! The WiFi is great when you are
    near a strong hot spot, but the Blazer Web browser is only so-so --
    viewing regular web pages can be frustratingly slow. On the other
    hand, grabbing emails using Versamail is a breeze. That way I can
    read my mail and write replies when I'm offline, and then transmit/
    receive when I get back to another hot spot. As to music, I have a
    cassette player in my car, and use an adapter with a wire plugged into
    the headphone output of my TX to play my music while driving. Most
    new cars these days have a mini-plug input for iPods, which works just
    as well with a Palm device. I don't use the TX with my home stereo,
    but it would be very easy to plug in a mini-plug-to-RCA wire from the
    TX into my home stereo to play music that way. Wireless (Bluetooth?)
    might be more of a challenge, but I don't really need that capablity.
    Plugging it in works for me.

    By the way -- ripping songs from CD's using Windows Media Player
    allows you to choose MP3 (with several sampling rates possible) as the
    destination file format. That way, they'll play in ANY player --
    iTunes, iPod, Palm TX, and pretty much any mobile device. DON'T use
    iTunes to rip CD's ... the resulting files will ONLY play on an iPod.
    Of course, if you purchase music from the iTunes store, those files
    will be iPod-friendly only. The workaround is to Burn those Apple
    songs to a CD, and then re-rip them to MP3's using the Media Player.

  6. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:04:38 -0500, mdspiro@gmail.com wrote
    (in article <1176303878.081169.290000@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>):

    > On Apr 11, 10:23 am, Tim Lance wrote:
    >> I have a 2nd generation iPod I seldom use (but do love it when I do use it).
    >> For day to day use I've used my E2 with a 1 GB card. but the expanded memory
    >> ability of the TX, plus Wi-Fi has me hunting one. Also, with Sailing
    >> Clicker,
    >> it can run my music on the home server through iTunes. My E2 can do it, too,
    >> but only Bluetooth.
    >> Tim
    >> lance_1...@hotmail.com

    > I have a 4GB SD card in my TX, and right now I have 500+ songs on it
    > plus 2 full-length movies, with room to spare. I've heard that it
    > even supports 8GB and larger SD cards! The WiFi is great when you are
    > near a strong hot spot, but the Blazer Web browser is only so-so --
    > viewing regular web pages can be frustratingly slow. On the other
    > hand, grabbing emails using Versamail is a breeze. That way I can
    > read my mail and write replies when I'm offline, and then transmit/
    > receive when I get back to another hot spot. As to music, I have a
    > cassette player in my car, and use an adapter with a wire plugged into
    > the headphone output of my TX to play my music while driving. Most
    > new cars these days have a mini-plug input for iPods, which works just
    > as well with a Palm device. I don't use the TX with my home stereo,
    > but it would be very easy to plug in a mini-plug-to-RCA wire from the
    > TX into my home stereo to play music that way. Wireless (Bluetooth?)
    > might be more of a challenge, but I don't really need that capablity.
    > Plugging it in works for me.
    >
    > By the way -- ripping songs from CD's using Windows Media Player
    > allows you to choose MP3 (with several sampling rates possible) as the
    > destination file format. That way, they'll play in ANY player --
    > iTunes, iPod, Palm TX, and pretty much any mobile device. DON'T use
    > iTunes to rip CD's ... the resulting files will ONLY play on an iPod.
    > Of course, if you purchase music from the iTunes store, those files
    > will be iPod-friendly only. The workaround is to Burn those Apple
    > songs to a CD, and then re-rip them to MP3's using the Media Player.

    I plan to use the TX to play music that is on a different machine.

    As for ripping with iTunes you CAN choose other formats besides AAC/M4A.
    iTunes can also rip to WAV, AIF, AppleLossless, & MP3. Its builtin MP3
    encoder is Fraunhofer and is not as good as LAME. There are ways to use
    iTunes to get LAME.

    --

    Tim
    lance_1012@hotmail.com

  7. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    "Verne Arase" wrote in message
    news:0001HW.C241C511002CAB51F0203648@news.giganews .com...
    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:56:39 -0500, PeteCresswell) wrote
    > (in article <3o8o13pfphd7er1p8al82mh698ipi4gsiu@4ax.com>):
    >
    >> Not only that, I was foolish enough to rip all my CDs to M4a instead of
    >> MP3.

    > You can rip your songs to mp3, but as I recall you'll need to set the bit
    > rate up to around 192kbps to match AAC 128's quality.
    >
    > Of course, that'll bloat each song up by about 50%, but if you don't want
    > AAC
    > you have to take the storage penalty.

    Not if you rip to a VBR MP3. Today it's probably the best compromise of
    quality and portability.

  8. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    It is alleged that Todd Tannenbaum claimed:

    > The Treo 680 was the first (and currently only) Palm OS device
    > to support an SDHC card. However, others have reported success

    Note: The Palm support site says "No" to SDHC cards. Also, based on
    others saying that it works, I tried a 4G SDHC card in my Treo 680.
    Using software to make the Treo look like a flash drive to my XP
    desktop, I was unable to transfer files to the card. This meant that I
    was completely unable to transfer the files from my 2GB card to the 4GB
    card.

    Suggestions on how to fix that, while appreciated, are also not
    necessary as I have returned the card. The 2G is actually plenty big
    for me for now, so I have no intentions of trying again until I can get
    a 32G card, so I can transfer my music collection over.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "You dare mock me?" "Ba'al, come on. You should know. Of course, I
    dare mock you." - Ba'al and Jack O'Neill, SG1

  9. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    Per Verne Arase:
    >You can rip your songs to mp3, but as I recall you'll need to set the bit
    >rate up to around 192kbps to match AAC 128's quality.
    >
    >Of course, that'll bloat each song up by about 50%, but if you don't want AAC
    >you have to take the storage penalty.
    >
    >OTOH, you could probably just rip to mp3 128 - after all, until AAC everyone
    >was pretty satisfied with those.
    >
    >The iPod will handle either format.
    >
    >If you want WMA, you'll have to go with someone else's solution.

    If I can nurse the current device along long enough, maybe I'll wind up
    re-ripping to something like lossless Flac for use on the new 500-gig
    WhateverPlayer I wind up replacing it with...-)

    Seriously though... I think the first holographic storage drives are already on
    the market - albeit priced way beyond consumer use.... I figure a couple years
    for them to come down to consumer prices and maybe another year to have them
    available in laptop drive size...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  10. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:15:30 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote
    (in article ):

    > I could never stand iTunes, I ripped everything to mp3 so I could
    > continue to use my preferred desktop software.

    No, you couldn't stand the iTunes music store.

    iTunes would cheerfully rip your music to mp3s with no problem (DRM free).

  11. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    It is alleged that Verne Arase claimed:

    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:15:30 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    > > I could never stand iTunes, I ripped everything to mp3 so I could
    > > continue to use my preferred desktop software.

    > No, you couldn't stand the iTunes music store.

    No, I could never stand iTunes. I said what I meant and I meant what I
    said.

    > iTunes would cheerfully rip your music to mp3s with no problem (DRM free).

    That has nothing to do with it. I also don't like MusicMatch Jukebox,
    or Real Player, or Windows Media Player. They all can play/rip MP3s
    too.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "I suppose there'll be a war now, hmm? All that running around and
    shooting one another. You would have thought sooner or later it would
    go out of fashion." (Amb. Mollari, B5 "The Gathering")

  12. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:56:41 -0500, JohnW wrote
    (in article ):

    >> Of course, that'll bloat each song up by about 50%, but if you don't want
    >> AAC you have to take the storage penalty.

    > Not if you rip to a VBR MP3. Today it's probably the best compromise of
    > quality and portability.

    Before I reripped everything to AAC 128, I used 192kbps MP3 VBRs.

    Most of 'em ripped with LAME (whose VBR support was a tad shakey) as I
    recall, though I could never tell the difference between the 192s (fixed or
    variable).

    But LAME was _supposed_ to produce a better rip, so I used that. I think this
    was before iTunes supported VBR.

    Don't get me wrong ... I think iTunes is one of the best out there - Heck, I
    *owned* a license for SoundJam MP Plus before Apple bought the product from
    C&G and brought it in house and gave it away.

    I still have a 5GB iPod which isn't worth replacing the battery for - but
    because of updates, it even plays AACs and has a Calendar even though it was
    originally an MP3 player only. It was a nice little box if a bit pricey - I
    still missing the quality of its click-wheel (if it not its battery life
    which quite frankly sucked once a software update added a calendar and a
    always on clock).

    Anyhow, any comparison between a Palm and and iPod is pretty ... strange. The
    iPod has nothing like the Palm's applications and organizational tools -
    heck, you can't even do input into the device. And the Palm's DAC (audio)
    sorta ... sucks. It's staticy and sports all kinds of spurious clicks and
    pops (possibly from interrupt time tasks), and the bass is light and
    unconvincing.

    I mean ... the LifeDrive has a built-in recorder (sorta), but I don't hear
    anything avocating tossing out 1/2 tape machines and studio microphones. As
    far as I'm concerned, about the only thing the two devices truely share is
    form-factor :-).

    I do wish my Palms were as sturdy as my iPods though. I don't know how many
    T5s and LifeDrives have made the trip back to Texas while my iPods just
    puttered on ...

  13. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    "Verne Arase" wrote in message
    news:0001HW.C241C511002CAB51F0203648@news.giganews .com...
    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:56:39 -0500, PeteCresswell) wrote
    > (in article <3o8o13pfphd7er1p8al82mh698ipi4gsiu@4ax.com>):
    >
    >> Not only that, I was foolish enough to rip all my CDs to M4a instead of MP3.

    > You can rip your songs to mp3, but as I recall you'll need to set the bit
    > rate up to around 192kbps to match AAC 128's quality.
    >
    > Of course, that'll bloat each song up by about 50%, but if you don't want AAC
    > you have to take the storage penalty.
    >
    > OTOH, you could probably just rip to mp3 128 - after all, until AAC everyone
    > was pretty satisfied with those.
    >
    > The iPod will handle either format.
    >
    > If you want WMA, you'll have to go with someone else's solution.

    I use iTunes and I like the program. You can also play AAC format on Windows Media
    Player.

    Adam

  14. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    It is alleged that Adam Helberg claimed:

    > > If you want WMA, you'll have to go with someone else's solution.

    > I use iTunes and I like the program. You can also play AAC format on Windows Media
    > Player.

    Maybe an open file, but not if it's DRM locked.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    DISCLAIMER: You must be present to win.

  15. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:55:07 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote
    (in article ):

    > It is alleged that Adam Helberg claimed:
    >
    >>> If you want WMA, you'll have to go with someone else's solution.

    >> I use iTunes and I like the program. You can also play AAC format on
    >> Windows Media
    >> Player.

    > Maybe an open file, but not if it's DRM locked.

    It's only DRMd if it's a file purchased from itunesMusicStore. And now, the
    ITMS sells EMI catalog tunes without the DRM - costs more, not sure how
    much.
    --

    Tim
    lance_1012@hotmail.com

  16. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    "Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote in message
    news:cc0623pbbhqb005d4a6ea8371k6doaam4p@gordol.org ...
    > It is alleged that Adam Helberg claimed:
    >
    >> > If you want WMA, you'll have to go with someone else's solution.

    >> I use iTunes and I like the program. You can also play AAC format on Windows Media
    >> Player.

    > Maybe an open file, but not if it's DRM locked.
    >
    > --
    > Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    > The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: You must be present to win.

    I rarely buy from iTunes store. I get Podcasts for free from iTunes store, and most
    of my music is ripped from CDs and from various sources from Internet like
    allofmp3.com.

    Adam

  17. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    Captain's log. On StarDate Mon, 9 Apr 2007 13:38:30 -0500 received comm from Tim
    Lance on channel alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot:

    : what?
    :
    : I'm new to things Palm and was considering buying either the Lifedrive or
    : Tungsten TX. There are still some Lifedrives available. I've googled a bit
    : and see the TX isn't all that old so a new Palm handheld at that level will
    : be a ways off. But with the Lifedrive being pulled I wonder if there's some
    : news or serious rumors of a replacement in the near future. My googling
    : didn't show anything.
    :
    : Just curious as to any rumors or any wild speculation from folks here.
    :
    : Maybe a Treo with Wi-Fi?

    This could perhaps come across like a flame for some, but absolutely isn't:

    Don´t waste buying into Palm, especially if your not already "stuck" with it.

    The future for Palm is very uncertain at this moment and they have been going
    downhill at an accelerating speed the last years. They hasn't invested or
    updated PalmOS for a very long time. The development of it is dead. The next
    version of PalmOS that was supposed to be released some years ago was canceled
    and will probably never happen.

    The owner of PalmOS (Japanese company Access) doesn't do anything with it, and
    are more interested in pushing their own Linux based OS.

    Palm, who makes the hardware, has recently made a road map that they will
    continue with Windows Mobile, and replace the current PalmOS with a Linux
    version of their own (not the Linux that Access tries to sell to them).

    There are also several credible rumors and speculation that Nokia and some other
    investor will bid on buying Palm. If Nokia is the winner we will probably see
    Palm Treo with Symbian OS in the future (Nokia owns Symbian, and even if they
    have an occasional special device with Linux and Win CE, it's Symbian who is
    their core strategic OS they will push).

    My personal advice would be do not buy into PalmOS at this time, and instead
    check out devices with an OS who has a future (essentially WM, Linux, Symbian).

    /martin

    martin|t

    --
    Martin Törnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/

  18. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    Per Martin T:
    >There are also several credible rumors and speculation that Nokia and some other
    >investor will bid on buying Palm. If Nokia is the winner we will probably see
    >Palm Treo with Symbian OS in the future (Nokia owns Symbian, and even if they
    >have an occasional special device with Linux and Win CE, it's Symbian who is
    >their core strategic OS they will push).
    >
    >My personal advice would be do not buy into PalmOS at this time, and instead
    >check out devices with an OS who has a future (essentially WM, Linux, Symbian).

    Before I retire my TX in favor of a smartphone, I'm waiting to see if anything
    comes of http://www.openmoko.com/press/index.html

    For me the brass ring would be something like that with an 80 or 100-gig hard
    drive. Then I'd have the option of replacing my phone, my PalmPilot, and my
    iPod with a single device.

    --
    PeteCresswell

  19. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    It is alleged that Martin T claimed:

    > The future for Palm is very uncertain at this moment and they have been going

    The future for everything is uncertain. We don't really know what the
    next great thing from anyone will be.

    > downhill at an accelerating speed the last years. They hasn't invested or
    > updated PalmOS for a very long time. The development of it is dead. The next

    Development of PalmOS is not dead.

    > version of PalmOS that was supposed to be released some years ago was canceled
    > and will probably never happen.

    You mean OS6. If I recall the timing correctly, that was released, if
    not completely developed, by PalmSource +after+ the split, and palmOne
    opted to not license it in large part because they wanted to maintain
    internal control over the OS (so why did they then split the company,
    one wonders...).

    I work for a company who's single product went into developmental
    hibernation for many years, for reasons I don't feel like going into
    right now. When we came back, we had more than just a little catch-up
    to do. But we did it, our product is better than ever, and we have an
    active plan for future development. If we can do it, why can't Palm?

    > The owner of PalmOS (Japanese company Access) doesn't do anything with it, and
    > are more interested in pushing their own Linux based OS.

    "Their own Linux based OS" is supposed to be a complete PalmOS
    replacement, including backwards compatibility.

    > Palm, who makes the hardware, has recently made a road map that they will
    > continue with Windows Mobile, and replace the current PalmOS with a Linux
    > version of their own (not the Linux that Access tries to sell to them).

    Yes, and their own linux based OS is supposed to be a complete PalmOS
    replacement, including backwards compatibility. And at this point, it
    would be a bad business decision to drop WinMob from their lineup.

    > There are also several credible rumors and speculation that Nokia and some other
    > investor will bid on buying Palm. If Nokia is the winner we will probably see

    You mean the supposed take over that was to happen several weeks ago?

    > Palm Treo with Symbian OS in the future (Nokia owns Symbian, and even if they
    > have an occasional special device with Linux and Win CE, it's Symbian who is
    > their core strategic OS they will push).

    Nokia already has smartphones, running Symbian. There would be only
    two reasons for Nokia to buy Palm: To get the Palm system and use it
    themselves, or to kill it. But Nokia already has the lion's share of
    the cellular market. If they really wanted to, they could easily
    design a potential Treo-killer inhouse and not have to buy Palm to
    accomplish either goal.

    > My personal advice would be do not buy into PalmOS at this time, and instead

    My personal advice to you is to take your FUD, fold it so it's all
    sharp corners, and stick it somewhere painful.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    DISCLAIMER: Do not stamp.

  20. Re: Specualtions? Palm replaces lifedrive with ...

    Captain's log. On StarDate Mon, 09 Apr 2007 23:04:55 -0600 received comm from
    DevilsPGD on channel alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot:

    : In message <2srl13p40ujuk95qia6956f07qfgo59ri0@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    : Kaplan wrote:
    :
    : >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    : >
    : >> >2) The iPhone looks lke a WAY cool device ... but it forces you to use
    : >> >the Mac OS. As such, you cannot download any 3rd-party applications.
    : >>
    : >> huh?
    : >>
    : >> You won't catch me with any fruity hardware, but why couldn't you
    : >> install whatever you want on it?
    : >
    : >Probably because Apple has stated that they will not allow any third
    : >party programs for the iPhone.
    :
    : IIRC didn't they say that about the iPod originally too?

    Yes.

    And it's still true as well.

    martin|t