Best PDA for a Mac user? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Best PDA for a Mac user? - Palmtop ; Howdy, My 3rd replacement lifedrive just died, and since it's got a dent in the case I'm guessing that Palm support is not going to refurb this one for free. I'm a Mac user, and want to find a replacement ...

  1. Best PDA for a Mac user?

    Howdy,

    My 3rd replacement lifedrive just died, and since it's got a dent in the
    case I'm guessing that Palm support is not going to refurb this one for free.

    I'm a Mac user, and want to find a replacement PDA.

    My most used apps are eReader and Mobipocket, but I do use the Contacts
    and Calendar apps pretty frequently as well as SnapperMail Enterprise (which
    I use primarily as a message database via IMAP). I've got a *ton* of Palm
    software (NoviiPro, Mapopolis, DTG, SplashData, Password Wallet, SplashPhoto,
    WiFile Pro, JFile, FileMaker 8 Mobile) as well as a bunch of lesser apps -
    but I spend most of my time in the readers, SnapperMail, Password Wallet, and
    the Contact and Calendar apps. SplashData also gets a fair amount of use for
    those critical "What's your daughter's SSN" moments.

    Anyhow, I briefly looked in PPC but it seemed to me to be a Windows world
    there ... you need to run a Win PC to get most of the goodies. Sure FileMaker
    runs on the Mac and PPC, but it wasn't obvious to me how you could sync data
    between the two - Missing Sync not withstanding. If anyone here knows how,
    I'd be interested in listening.

    Anyhow, what are Mac users here using?

    I've been sorta bummed about the reliability of recent Palms - I went
    through a bunch of T5s before I went through a bunch of LifeDrives - and want
    something with a bit of durability that'll last more than three months.

    Thanks in advance for any info.

    -- Verne

  2. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    Verne Arase wrote:

    > Anyhow, what are Mac users here using?
    >
    > I've been sorta bummed about the reliability of recent Palms - I went
    > through a bunch of T5s before I went through a bunch of LifeDrives - and want
    > something with a bit of durability that'll last more than three months.

    Mainly a Mac user, I have a LifeDrive too, but it is my first one
    (LifeDrive, not Palm), and I bought it two years ago.

    Happy with it, except the need on the loooooooong soft reset
    quite everytime I launch TomTom Navigator, my feeling is that
    it will be probably my last Palm as main PDA.

    But there is so many things coming here and there, that if
    mine was broken, I probably shall buy a very basic Palm
    for those 2 ou 3 Palm applications I cannot live without,
    and (wait and) see all those HTC, Eten, HP, Toshiba, etc.
    smartphones, with a distrait eye on the iPhone, too...

    --
    Sylvain Bouju
    --

  3. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    Verne Arase wrote:

    > Anyhow, what are Mac users here using?

    I'm using a Treo 650. When iPhone is mature I might swap to such one.
    --
    Per Erik R°nne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  4. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Per_R=F8nne?= (per@RQNNE.invalid) wrote:
    : Verne Arase wrote:

    : > Anyhow, what are Mac users here using?

    : I'm using a Treo 650. When iPhone is mature I might swap to such one.

    I definitely will swap to the iPhone.
    I've been using a Treo 600 for now. That lil guy is fine, but the
    synchronization software hasn't worked since I went to Tiger. Somewhat
    defeats the purpose
    --
    Non Illegitimi Carborundum

  5. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    Frank P. Eigler wrote:

    > =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Per_R=F8nne?= (per@RQNNE.invalid) wrote:
    > : Verne Arase wrote:
    >
    > : > Anyhow, what are Mac users here using?
    >
    > : I'm using a Treo 650. When iPhone is mature I might swap to such one.
    >
    > I definitely will swap to the iPhone.
    > I've been using a Treo 600 for now. That lil guy is fine, but the
    > synchronization software hasn't worked since I went to Tiger. Somewhat
    > defeats the purpose

    It works for me with 10.4.9 and Entourage.

    And I will demand a proper iPone:

    3G or better.

    A proper graph calculator with solve function and extra packages like a
    full set of financial programs.

    Proper dictionaries. Oxford American English Dictionary may fit for an
    English-English dictionary [I currently use A-lex] but bi-lingual
    dictionaries should be supported too. At present I use Duden Oxford
    Gro▀w÷rterbuch [large English-German-English dictionary] but of course
    I'd prefer large Danish-English-Danish, Danish-German-Danish and
    Danish-French-Danish dictionaries. Unfortunately, those I prefer are
    only available in books and for Windows.
    --
    Per Erik R°nne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  6. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    Verne Arase wrote:
    > Howdy,
    >
    > My 3rd replacement lifedrive just died, and since it's got a dent in the
    > case I'm guessing that Palm support is not going to refurb this one for free.
    >
    > I'm a Mac user, and want to find a replacement PDA.
    >
    > My most used apps are eReader and Mobipocket, but I do use the Contacts
    > and Calendar apps pretty frequently as well as SnapperMail Enterprise (which
    > I use primarily as a message database via IMAP). I've got a *ton* of Palm
    > software (NoviiPro, Mapopolis, DTG, SplashData, Password Wallet, SplashPhoto,
    > WiFile Pro, JFile, FileMaker 8 Mobile) as well as a bunch of lesser apps -
    > but I spend most of my time in the readers, SnapperMail, Password Wallet, and
    > the Contact and Calendar apps. SplashData also gets a fair amount of use for
    > those critical "What's your daughter's SSN" moments.
    >
    > Anyhow, I briefly looked in PPC but it seemed to me to be a Windows world
    > there ... you need to run a Win PC to get most of the goodies. Sure FileMaker
    > runs on the Mac and PPC, but it wasn't obvious to me how you could sync data
    > between the two - Missing Sync not withstanding. If anyone here knows how,
    > I'd be interested in listening.
    >
    > Anyhow, what are Mac users here using?
    >
    > I've been sorta bummed about the reliability of recent Palms - I went
    > through a bunch of T5s before I went through a bunch of LifeDrives - and want
    > something with a bit of durability that'll last more than three months.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any info.
    >
    > -- Verne

    Hi Verne,

    If when your LifeDrive is working it works with your MAC properly,
    then I would recommend the TX. I bought my first LifeDrive about 19
    months ago. After the published the 2.0 update, it worked better,
    but I needed something a little sturdier that the LifeDrive so I
    bought a TX back in August of last year. With a 4GB SD card, it does
    everything my LifeDrive did only faster (especially resets).

    I have not come across any software that I used on the LifeDrive
    that wouldn't work on the TX. Be careful though when you migrate to
    whichever Palm you use. A hotsync and restore to the new drive can
    create unexpected problems. I found out the hard way that the
    Bluetooth files that the LifeDrive creates and uses are not
    compatible with the ones used on the TX. I didn't even know that any
    of the Bluetooth files were backed up during the hotsync but they are.

    The TX has been so reliable for me that I actually administer and
    maintain my employers enterprise level MySQL database with it. He
    loves the fact that as long as my TX is with me I can do emergency
    work on it (I have a Razr with Bluetooth and use GPRS to connect to
    the Internet if a wifi hotspot is not available).

    I gave away my LifeDrive to a friend of mine son a couple of months
    ago and if necessary will get a 2nd TX for a backup before I would
    use a LifeDrive again.

    Ciao . . . C.Joseph

    "When hope is lost . . . the spirit dies."
    -- Lao Tzu

    http://www.tlerma.com/

  7. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 13:58:24 -0500, Jon Bendtsen wrote
    (in article ):

    > my treo 650 worked well for almost 2 years before i bought the 750 and
    > gave my old 650 to my dad, and it still works great. What are you
    > doing with your palm pda's? dropping them? I think the treo quality is
    > good, but i dont know about the PDA's.

    Yeah, I've dropped them from time to time - not often, but a couple of times.

    The lifedrive I've found to be susceptible to moisture or humidity through
    the ventilation holes, and the T5 seems to be problematic through the power
    switch's susceptibility to pocket dust migration.

    I also think that the universal cradle's pin alignment is questionable, and
    that this can also lead to problems if left in the cradle with misaligned
    pins for a while.

  8. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    Verne Arase wrote:
    > On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 13:58:24 -0500, Jon Bendtsen wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    >> my treo 650 worked well for almost 2 years before i bought the 750 and
    >> gave my old 650 to my dad, and it still works great. What are you
    >> doing with your palm pda's? dropping them? I think the treo quality is
    >> good, but i dont know about the PDA's.

    > Yeah, I've dropped them from time to time - not often, but a couple of times.
    >
    > The lifedrive I've found to be susceptible to moisture or humidity through
    > the ventilation holes, and the T5 seems to be problematic through the power
    > switch's susceptibility to pocket dust migration.

    i have been very amazed with my 650's ability to ignore moisture. I
    have it in a pocket in my pants, and i occasionally get vet or sweaty.
    But there has been no problems with my 650. Or my 750.

    > I also think that the universal cradle's pin alignment is questionable, and
    > that this can also lead to problems if left in the cradle with misaligned
    > pins for a while.

    i dont leave mine in the cradle, i walk arround with it.

  9. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    In article <0001HW.C23C8CE800253235F0203648@news.giganews.com>,
    Verne Arase wrote:

    > Howdy,
    >
    > My 3rd replacement lifedrive just died, and since it's got a dent in the
    > case I'm guessing that Palm support is not going to refurb this one for free.
    >
    > I'm a Mac user, and want to find a replacement PDA.
    >
    > My most used apps are eReader and Mobipocket, but I do use the Contacts
    > and Calendar apps pretty frequently as well as SnapperMail Enterprise (which
    > I use primarily as a message database via IMAP). I've got a *ton* of Palm
    > software (NoviiPro, Mapopolis, DTG, SplashData, Password Wallet, SplashPhoto,
    > WiFile Pro, JFile, FileMaker 8 Mobile) as well as a bunch of lesser apps -
    > but I spend most of my time in the readers, SnapperMail, Password Wallet, and
    > the Contact and Calendar apps. SplashData also gets a fair amount of use for
    > those critical "What's your daughter's SSN" moments.
    >
    > Anyhow, I briefly looked in PPC but it seemed to me to be a Windows world
    > there ... you need to run a Win PC to get most of the goodies. Sure FileMaker
    > runs on the Mac and PPC, but it wasn't obvious to me how you could sync data
    > between the two - Missing Sync not withstanding. If anyone here knows how,
    > I'd be interested in listening.
    >
    > Anyhow, what are Mac users here using?
    >
    > I've been sorta bummed about the reliability of recent Palms - I went
    > through a bunch of T5s before I went through a bunch of LifeDrives - and want
    > something with a bit of durability that'll last more than three months.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any info.

    Any that http://www.markspace.com supports with its Missing Sync
    software is worth considering. I have a Palm Treo 700p that I am
    thrilled with and it works great with my Mac thanks to Missing Sync.

  10. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 13:19:50 -0500, Frank P. Eigler wrote
    (in article <4617d2b6$1@news.victoria.tc.ca>):

    > I definitely will swap to the iPhone.
    > I've been using a Treo 600 for now. That lil guy is fine, but the
    > synchronization software hasn't worked since I went to Tiger. Somewhat
    > defeats the purpose

    I would consider the iPhone if it had book readers, but that possiblity
    doesn't look great considering that Apple's controlling the apps available
    for it, and seems to want to keep it closed system.

    Unfortunately, Mobipocket doesn't even have a Mac version - let alone
    something as niche as the iPhone - and eReader hasn't mentioned anything
    about an iPhone version. In fact, the Symbian 60 version of eReader doesn't
    even work on current S60 phones, and their tech support has pretty much said
    it'll be a cold day in Hades before current phones will be supported .

    -- Verne

  11. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    On 2007-04-07 13:43:55 -0400, "C.Joseph Drayton" said:

    > If when your LifeDrive is working it works with your MAC properly,
    > then I would recommend the TX. I bought my first LifeDrive about 19
    > months ago. After the published the 2.0 update, it worked better,
    > but I needed something a little sturdier that the LifeDrive so I
    > bought a TX back in August of last year. With a 4GB SD card, it does
    > everything my LifeDrive did only faster (especially resets).

    I'd recommend the TX, also. I've been using it with my Mac for almost
    a year, and the biggest problem i've had is that DayNotez doesn't have
    a desktop application for Mac. Other than that, I'd be perfectly happy.

    Ruby

  12. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    On 2007-04-06 23:48:56 -0500, Verne Arase said:

    > Howdy,
    >
    > My 3rd replacement lifedrive just died, and since it's got a dent in the
    > case I'm guessing that Palm support is not going to refurb this one for free.
    >
    > I'm a Mac user, and want to find a replacement PDA.
    >
    > My most used apps are eReader and Mobipocket, but I do use the Contacts
    > and Calendar apps pretty frequently as well as SnapperMail Enterprise (which
    > I use primarily as a message database via IMAP). I've got a *ton* of Palm
    > software (NoviiPro, Mapopolis, DTG, SplashData, Password Wallet, SplashPhoto,
    > WiFile Pro, JFile, FileMaker 8 Mobile) as well as a bunch of lesser apps -
    > but I spend most of my time in the readers, SnapperMail, Password Wallet, and
    > the Contact and Calendar apps. SplashData also gets a fair amount of use for
    > those critical "What's your daughter's SSN" moments.
    >
    > Anyhow, I briefly looked in PPC but it seemed to me to be a Windows world
    > there ... you need to run a Win PC to get most of the goodies. Sure FileMaker
    > runs on the Mac and PPC, but it wasn't obvious to me how you could sync data
    > between the two - Missing Sync not withstanding. If anyone here knows how,
    > I'd be interested in listening.
    >
    > Anyhow, what are Mac users here using?
    >
    > I've been sorta bummed about the reliability of recent Palms - I went
    > through a bunch of T5s before I went through a bunch of LifeDrives - and want
    > something with a bit of durability that'll last more than three months.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any info.
    >
    > -- Verne

    I'd suggest a TX and missing sync and a really good case. I highly
    recommend the rhinoskin aluminum case.
    --
    -----------------------------
    I only talk like that in the movies

  13. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 23:48:56 -0500, Verne Arase wrote
    (in article <0001HW.C23C8CE800253235F0203648@news.giganews.com>):

    > My 3rd replacement lifedrive just died, and since it's got a dent in the
    > case I'm guessing that Palm support is not going to refurb this one for free.

    Wow ... give credit where credit is due.

    Palm actually refurbed my Palm. Not only that, but it arrived with the same
    serial number and MAC address (so I don't have to beg the OEM software
    vendors for a new unlock code) sans dent in case.

    I guess I'll be sticking with the LifeDrive until the next time it dies past
    the 1 year warranty :-).

    -- Verne

  14. Re: Best PDA for a Mac user?

    On 2007-04-11 02:42:05 +0930, Ruby Vee said:

    > I'd recommend the TX, also. I've been using it with my Mac for almost
    > a year, and the biggest problem i've had is that DayNotez doesn't have
    > a desktop application for Mac. Other than that, I'd be perfectly happy.
    >
    > Ruby

    I'm also a TX fan -- a bit slower than the T5 but the built in WiFi is great.

    Just watch out if you want a built in mic. The TX doesn't have one. If
    you search the web you can find people who make small mikes that plug
    into the bottom of the TX.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread