VFS repair utility for PalmOS? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on VFS repair utility for PalmOS? - Palmtop ; My el cheapo USB card reader is getting flaky on me; my desktop system (a Macintosh, MacOS 9.2.2) freezes at times when I'm writing to my Palm's SD card. Is there a repair utility for PalmOS that I can use ...

  1. VFS repair utility for PalmOS?

    My el cheapo USB card reader is getting flaky on me; my desktop system
    (a Macintosh, MacOS 9.2.2) freezes at times when I'm writing to my
    Palm's SD card.

    Is there a repair utility for PalmOS that I can use to fix the
    filesystem on the card?

  2. Re: VFS repair utility for PalmOS?

    "Joe Sewell" wrote in
    news:1173899237.946416.34410@e65g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com:

    > My el cheapo USB card reader is getting flaky on me; my desktop system
    > (a Macintosh, MacOS 9.2.2) freezes at times when I'm writing to my
    > Palm's SD card.
    >
    > Is there a repair utility for PalmOS that I can use to fix the
    > filesystem on the card?

    Open the "Card Info" program on the palm and from the menu select Format
    Card.

    --
    ---
    Chip

    Oderint dum metuant
    -Lucius Accius

  3. Re: VFS repair utility for PalmOS?

    Chip Anderson wrote:
    > "Joe Sewell" wrote in
    > news:1173899237.946416.34410@e65g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com:
    >
    > > My el cheapo USB card reader is getting flaky on me; my desktop system
    > > (a Macintosh, MacOS 9.2.2) freezes at times when I'm writing to my
    > > Palm's SD card.
    > >
    > > Is there a repair utility for PalmOS that I can use to fix the
    > > filesystem on the card?

    > Open the "Card Info" program on the palm and from the menu select Format
    > Card.
    >

    > --
    > ---
    > Chip
    >
    > Oderint dum metuant
    > -Lucius Accius

    Ummm ... I was hoping for something a little less drastic, you know,
    where I could actually save the files that were on there?

  4. Re: VFS repair utility for PalmOS?

    Joe Sewell wrote:
    >Ummm ... I was hoping for something a little less drastic, you know,
    >where I could actually save the files that were on there?

    Any data recover utility that works on a hard drive MAY be a solution. Do it onthe desktop.
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  5. Re: VFS repair utility for PalmOS?

    In article , Gil Baron wrote:
    >Joe Sewell wrote:
    >>Ummm ... I was hoping for something a little less drastic, you know,
    >>where I could actually save the files that were on there?

    >Any data recover utility that works on a hard drive MAY be a solution. Do it on=
    > the desktop.

    I believe the OP is attributing the problems to a flaky card reader on
    the desktop system, so that may be a suboptimal solution in this case.

    If he has access to another desktop system and/or a more reliable card
    reader, it might be easiest to borrow that and do the FS repair there
    instead of trying to find a tool to do it on the Palm.

    dave

    --
    Dave Vandervies dj3vande@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    Since we like to argue a lot on comp.lang.c figuring out who said what

  6. Re: VFS repair utility for PalmOS?

    Dave Vandervies wrote:
    >that and do the FS repair there
    >instead of trying to find a tool to do it on the Palm.

    EXACTLY
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  7. Re: VFS repair utility for PalmOS?

    If it is FAT 32 then I would try windows chkdsk with the appropriate
    options. Warning ...chkdsk may claim a folder or file is unreadable and
    remove it from the FAT. I sad part about the PALM OS is that any app can
    corrupt the VFS and then you will have problems reading it. I am very
    surprised that no utility exists.
    "Joe Sewell" wrote in message
    news:1173899237.946416.34410@e65g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
    > My el cheapo USB card reader is getting flaky on me; my desktop system
    > (a Macintosh, MacOS 9.2.2) freezes at times when I'm writing to my
    > Palm's SD card.
    >
    > Is there a repair utility for PalmOS that I can use to fix the
    > filesystem on the card?

  8. Re: VFS repair utility for PalmOS?

    On Apr 21, 1:28 pm, "ME" wrote:
    > If it is FAT 32 then I would try windows chkdsk with the appropriate
    > options. Warning ...chkdsk may claim a folder or file is unreadable and
    > remove it from the FAT. I sad part about the PALM OS is that any app can
    > corrupt the VFS and then you will have problems reading it. I am very
    > surprised that no utility exists."Joe Sewell" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1173899237.946416.34410@e65g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > > My el cheapo USB card reader is getting flaky on me; my desktop system
    > > (a Macintosh, MacOS 9.2.2) freezes at times when I'm writing to my
    > > Palm's SD card.

    > > Is there a repair utility for PalmOS that I can use to fix the
    > > filesystem on the card

    As I said, (a) I'm running this on a Macintosh (where FAT32 is not a
    native filesystem), and (b) it's the desktop system that was
    corrupting things.

    I've since replaced the card reader with something decent, and have
    not had any further troubles. I concur, though, it's interesting that
    no filesystem repair utility for PalmOS exists.

  9. Re: VFS repair utility for PalmOS?

    "Joe Sewell" wrote in message
    news:1177675247.587806.214780@s33g2000prh.googlegr oups.com...

    > I've since replaced the card reader with something decent, and have
    > not had any further troubles. I concur, though, it's interesting that
    > no filesystem repair utility for PalmOS exists.

    Perhaps it's because the Palm OS doesn't have a filesystem? VSF is an
    add-on.

    DataGet® & PocketLog® www.dataget.com
    Data Collectors www.baxcode.com