UK Networks Offering 680s - Palmtop

This is a discussion on UK Networks Offering 680s - Palmtop ; Hello, I've been trying to find UK mobile phone networks who will provide a Treo 680 with a contract. So far I have only found the 750v, but I specifically want the Palm software. Does anyone know of a provider ...

  1. UK Networks Offering 680s

    Hello,

    I've been trying to find UK mobile phone networks who will provide a
    Treo 680 with a contract. So far I have only found the 750v, but I
    specifically want the Palm software.

    Does anyone know of a provider who is offering this? Or should I go
    through a third party?

    Thanks,

    S.

  2. Re: UK Networks Offering 680s

    sanelson@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been trying to find UK mobile phone networks who will provide a
    > Treo 680 with a contract. So far I have only found the 750v, but I
    > specifically want the Palm software.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a provider who is offering this? Or should I go
    > through a third party?

    Why not buy a unlocked directly from Palm? They just started selling
    it in crimson as well as graphite.

    On http://treocentral.com i read that there are some stores in London
    selling a 680, so maybe they can sell you a contract as well. However,
    usually a contract to get the phone company to subdisize the phone
    does not pay in the long run.

    JonB

  3. Re: UK Networks Offering 680s

    wrote in message
    news:1171626623.105121.120530@q2g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been trying to find UK mobile phone networks who will provide a
    > Treo 680 with a contract. So far I have only found the 750v, but I
    > specifically want the Palm software.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a provider who is offering this? Or should I go
    > through a third party?

    Good choice of device, at least, having tried Windows Mobile a few times,
    each time I said, "never again" but then the next release of hardware
    tempted me back... My last device was a Qtek 9100, which was a superb
    hardware solution let down by Windows Mobile.

    I gave up waiting for the Treo 680 and whilst it looks a great machine, the
    battery life is a deal breaker for me. I bought a used Tungsten T3 and new
    SIM-free Sony Ericsson W300i direct from Sony Ericsson.

    But I digress.

    What's best for you depends on how much you're going to use it, what network
    you need and how flexible you need it to be. You'll need to weigh up the
    costs, advantages and disadvantages of buying it SIM-free or as part of a
    contract.

    Things to bear in mind are your use of voice and data, what networks work or
    don't work wherever you are, roaming costs if you spend a material amount of
    time overseas and what features may be fudged / disabled / funkied up with a
    network-branded example.

    For me, I don't use the data all that much and I have family in the USA so I
    spend time over there. I opted for a conventional unlocked handset with
    Bluetooth and a Bluetooth-enabled organiser rather than a communicator. I
    don't regret buying the T3 over a Treo 650; it isn't as neat a solution and
    I'm constantly reminded of this, but, it was cheaper and works as well as it
    needs to.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com