HELP CryptoPad crash - Palmtop

This is a discussion on HELP CryptoPad crash - Palmtop ; G'day, I'm stuck with a load of data trapped on my Tungsten E with a crashing copy of CryptoPad v4.09. When I attempt to launch the program I get the following response: Fatal Alert DataMgr.c, Line:6341, Invalid uniqueID passed [Reset] ...

  1. HELP CryptoPad crash

    G'day,
    I'm stuck with a load of data trapped on my Tungsten E with a crashing
    copy of CryptoPad v4.09. When I attempt to launch the program I get the
    following response:

    Fatal Alert
    DataMgr.c, Line:6341,
    Invalid uniqueID passed

    [Reset]

    I reset, the Tungsten reboots and resumes the loop.
    I downloaded and installed v4.11 but it, too, is crashing, same error.

    I can't delete v4.09 without the risk of also deleting my files as it
    claims it will take out the "application and all data". Palm OS 5.2.1
    also doesn't differentiate between the 2 versions of CryptoPad when
    deleting, although it does in the Info menu.

    I suspect that my encrypted files will be restored next time I sync,
    with v4.11 on board, but I'd hate to try it and find I'm wrong.

    Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    --
    ~IRO
    (enzed = nz)

  2. Re: HELP CryptoPad crash

    "IRO" wrote in message
    > G'day,
    > I'm stuck with a load of data trapped on my Tungsten E with a crashing
    > copy of CryptoPad v4.09. When I attempt to launch the program I get the
    > following response:
    >
    > Fatal Alert
    > DataMgr.c, Line:6341,
    > Invalid uniqueID passed
    >
    > [Reset]
    >
    > I reset, the Tungsten reboots and resumes the loop.
    > I downloaded and installed v4.11 but it, too, is crashing, same error.
    >
    > I can't delete v4.09 without the risk of also deleting my files as it
    > claims it will take out the "application and all data". Palm OS 5.2.1
    > also doesn't differentiate between the 2 versions of CryptoPad when
    > deleting, although it does in the Info menu.
    >
    > I suspect that my encrypted files will be restored next time I sync,
    > with v4.11 on board, but I'd hate to try it and find I'm wrong.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    > --
    > ~IRO
    > (enzed = nz)

    FileZ will allow you to delete CryptoPad, without also deleting
    CryptoPadDB (apparently).

    RonL

  3. Re: HELP CryptoPad crash

    In article <45d414fb_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net>,
    "Ron Larham" wrote:

    > FileZ will allow you to delete CryptoPad, without also deleting
    > CryptoPadDB (apparently).

    I've got a copy, but haven't a clue how it works. I'll have to do some
    homework. Thanks for the tip.
    --
    ~IRO
    (enzed = nz)

  4. Re: HELP CryptoPad crash

    IRO wrote:
    > G'day,
    > I'm stuck with a load of data trapped on my Tungsten E with a crashing
    > copy of CryptoPad v4.09. When I attempt to launch the program I get
    > the following response:
    >
    > Fatal Alert
    > DataMgr.c, Line:6341,
    > Invalid uniqueID passed

    In my experience this type of error message is caused by a shortage of
    memory. Try deleting/uninstalling something else, as large as possible,
    unrelated to CryptoPad and preferably something you have a backup of.

    I would not use FileZ or similar to delete Cyptopad because I'd not be
    confident that I wasn't leaving traces that would interfere with a future
    re-installation. Please note, this is *not* an aspersion against FileZ,
    which is great.

    --

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  5. Re: HELP CryptoPad crash

    Harold Fuchs wrote:
    > IRO wrote:
    > > G'day,
    > > I'm stuck with a load of data trapped on my Tungsten E with a crashing
    > > copy of CryptoPad v4.09. When I attempt to launch the program I get
    > > the following response:
    > >
    > > Fatal Alert
    > > DataMgr.c, Line:6341,
    > > Invalid uniqueID passed
    > >

    > In my experience this type of error message is caused by a shortage of
    > memory. Try deleting/uninstalling something else, as large as possible,
    > unrelated to CryptoPad and preferably something you have a backup of.

    Funny response. The fatal alert is clear about the problem. Just delete
    CryptoPad w/o deleting the data.

    I wonder why a "newbie" who doesn't know how to delete apps w/o deleting the
    corresponding data would ever install a sophisticated program such as
    CryptoPad. It sounds suicidal to me.

    As they say it, caveat emptor.

    /PaulN

+ Reply to Thread