Palm Future & Dox to Go v9 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm Future & Dox to Go v9 - Palmtop ; Hi Guys... Please excuse me if this has been posted before, but don't recall seeing it... Have had a problem opening native pdf files in Dox to Go 9 and when talking to Dataviz support was informed that this was ...

  1. Palm Future & Dox to Go v9

    Hi Guys...

    Please excuse me if this has been posted before, but don't recall
    seeing it...

    Have had a problem opening native pdf files in Dox to Go 9 and when
    talking to Dataviz support was informed that this was likely due to
    insufficient 'head room' (equivalent to system RAM) on the Tungsten E
    that I was using. They had no problem opening the file on the
    Treo700p.

    This was not a large file, either (770k).

    I asked what was the optimum Palm for their software, and they
    informed me that the most headroom was found in the Treo700p or the
    Treo680.

    I had been considering upgrading to a Palm TX, but was informed that
    that did not have much more headroom than the Tungsten E.

    focusing on the integrated cellphone/PDA market and letting their PDA
    market slide. This might be supported by the temporarily out-of-stock
    situation for the LifeDrive.

    Would welcome any comments as I am wedded to PalmOS for alot of
    reasons!

    Thanks and Cheers
    Tom

  2. Re: Palm Future & Dox to Go v9

    On Feb 13, 3:57 am, Tom Hamp wrote:
    > Hi Guys...
    >
    > Please excuse me if this has been posted before, but don't recall
    > seeing it...
    >
    > Have had a problem opening native pdf files in Dox to Go 9 and when
    > talking to Dataviz support was informed that this was likely due to
    > insufficient 'head room' (equivalent to system RAM) on the Tungsten E
    > that I was using. They had no problem opening the file on the
    > Treo700p.
    >
    > This was not a large file, either (770k).
    >
    > I asked what was the optimum Palm for their software, and they
    > informed me that the most headroom was found in the Treo700p or the
    > Treo680.
    >
    > I had been considering upgrading to a Palm TX, but was informed that
    > that did not have much more headroom than the Tungsten E.

    > focusing on the integrated cellphone/PDA market and letting their PDA
    > market slide. This might be supported by the temporarily out-of-stock
    > situation for the LifeDrive.
    >
    > Would welcome any comments as I am wedded to PalmOS for alot of
    > reasons!
    >
    > Thanks and Cheers
    > Tom

    Did you try with Adobe's Pdf Reader for Palm? It worked on my TX for 1
    1.5MB file. Used to work on my TE too. Not sure if the "head room" you
    mentioned is the same as the internal memory, which TX has over 100MB
    for applications.

    Before TX, I used to use Vx and TE. I have been using the TX for about
    10 months now and I'm happy with it. To be honest, there are many
    things Palm could have done better since TE. Perhaps they have shifted
    their attention to the Treo and let the Pda slide and die naturally.
    Let's see what Access will do with the company.

  3. Re: Palm Future & Dox to Go v9

    Tom Hamp wrote:
    > Hi Guys...
    >
    > Please excuse me if this has been posted before, but don't recall
    > seeing it...
    >
    > Have had a problem opening native pdf files in Dox to Go 9 and when
    > talking to Dataviz support was informed that this was likely due to
    > insufficient 'head room' (equivalent to system RAM) on the Tungsten E
    > that I was using. They had no problem opening the file on the
    > Treo700p.
    >
    > This was not a large file, either (770k).

    If you often use PDF - consider using "Repligo for PDAs". Compresses
    large PDF files to small .rgo files on the palm, and works brilliantly
    with files Adobe PDF Reader chokes on.

    http://www.cerience.com/downloads/index.htm

    Regards,

    Truls Thirud

  4. Re: Palm Future & Dox to Go v9

    Thanks for your suggestions all...

    I am trying out PalmPDF from:
    http://www.metaviewsoft.de/en/Softwa...PDF/index.html

    which is freeware and was suggested by the tech at Dox-To-Go support.
    This one reads native pdf files, but I have been still having crashes
    and it is a bit slow. Not complaining as it is a brilliant piece of
    work!

    Will now try out the Repligo and thanks!

    Tom

  5. Re: Palm Future & Dox to Go v9

    On Feb 12, 9:57 pm, Tom Hamp wrote:

    > I asked what was the optimum Palm for their software, and they
    > informed me that the most headroom was found in the Treo700p or the
    > Treo680.

    I have a 700p and while it does not crash, it *is* still painfully
    slow in dealing with PDF files. Both opening and moving between
    pages. It is so bad that I have stopped using D2G for reading
    anything but 1 or 2 page PDFs.

    Doug Hofman

  6. Re: Palm Future & Dox to Go v9

    Hello, Tom Hamp !
    You wrote:

    > Hi Guys...
    >
    > Please excuse me if this has been posted before, but don't
    > recall
    > seeing it...
    >
    > Have had a problem opening native pdf files in Dox to Go 9 and
    > when
    > talking to Dataviz support was informed that this was likely
    > due to
    > insufficient 'head room' (equivalent to system RAM) on the
    > Tungsten E
    > that I was using.

    Try installing UDMH on your Palm. That program can convert
    memory used for storage into memory available to the system heap
    (i.e. what you refer to above as head room). UDMH has a free
    trial period so you can confirm if it helps your situation before
    buying it (it is cheap, less than ten bucks). I think you will
    be satisfied. iirc, I bought it at www.palmpowerups.com, or just
    google for it. I advise you use the latest version.
    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

  7. Re: Palm Future & Dox to Go v9

    Thanks for the heads-up Doug...

    Was considering the 700p because of its large 'heap' and am due for a
    new phone sometime.

    Won't be going there thanks to your advice!

    Seems pdf's are painful...will try the other options discussed in this
    thread and will post followup.

    Cheers
    Tom

  8. Re: Palm Future & Dox to Go v9

    Thanks for the tip...

    I found the following on the metaviewsoft web page (suppliers of
    PalmPDF):

    Dynamic memory: Is actually memory in which the processor can read and
    write without any restriction and which is used for temporarly
    buffers. One can compare it with the main memory on a desktop system.
    It is unfortunately always limited. There are hacks which allow you to
    grow it: FHR (Fargo Heap Resizer) or UDMH (Unlimited Dynamic Memory
    Hack).

    FHR only runs on some older Devices and can only add a small amount of
    additional memory. But it adds formerly unused memory and is therefore
    very safe to use.

    UDMH allows you to use the whole storage memory as dynamic memory.
    This can be dangerous in some situations as all your databases are
    unprotected. But it allows you to get quite a large amount of dynamic
    memory.

    Have you had any problems with UDMH re. corrupted databases, etc.?

    Thanks!
    Tom

  9. Re: Palm Future & Dox to Go v9

    On Feb 14, 4:52 pm, Truls Thirud wrote:
    > Tom Hamp wrote:
    > > Hi Guys...

    > > Please excuse me if this has been posted before, but don't recall
    > > seeing it...

    > > Have had a problem opening native pdf files in Dox to Go 9 and when
    > > talking to Dataviz support was informed that this was likely due to
    > > insufficient 'head room' (equivalent to system RAM) on the Tungsten E
    > > that I was using. They had no problem opening the file on the
    > > Treo700p.

    > > This was not a large file, either (770k).

    > If you often use PDF - consider using "Repligo for PDAs". Compresses
    > large PDF files to small .rgo files on the palm, and works brilliantly
    > with files Adobe PDF Reader chokes on.
    >
    > http://www.cerience.com/downloads/index.htm
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Truls Thirud

    Just tried out Repligo PDF viewer, you are right, it really leaves
    Adobe Reader and PalmPDF in the dust. Thanks for the tip!

  10. Re: Palm Future & Dox to Go v9

    On Feb 14, 10:19 pm, Tom Hamp wrote:

    Hi Tom,

    > Thanks for the heads-up Doug...
    >
    > Was considering the 700p because of its large 'heap' and am due for a
    > new phone sometime.
    >
    > Won't be going there thanks to your advice!

    Well, if PDF viewing was your main intent, then I understand. But the
    700p is an awesome device and I am an extremely happy camper with
    mine. There are some excellent deals on them now and it still rates
    highest in any smartphone reviews I've seen. The iPhone will likely
    change that. If you can wait and don't mind the big bucks, an iPhone
    might be a good way to go. But the 700p is here now and well proven
    and compatible with your other Palm add-on software.

    -Doug

    > Seems pdf's are painful...will try the other options discussed in this
    > thread and will post followup.

  11. Re: Palm Future & Dox to Go v9

    Thanks, Doug...

    I will have a look at the Treo 700p...might be just what I want...but
    I wish it had a bigger screen and wifi...such as the TX...

    I appreciate your suggestions and help!

    Cheers
    Tom

+ Reply to Thread