Daylight saving - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Daylight saving - Palmtop ; Have palm produced a fix for the new US daylight saving dates for the T2? Thanks Phil...

  1. Daylight saving

    Have palm produced a fix for the new US daylight saving dates for the T2?

    Thanks Phil

  2. Re: Daylight saving

    Bill Marcum writes:

    > On 07 Feb 2007 10:49:11 +0000, Phil
    > wrote:
    > >

    > > Have palm produced a fix for the new US daylight saving dates for the T2?
    > >
    > > Thanks Phil

    > You can change the daylight savings start and end dates by going to
    > "Prefs", "Date & Time", "Location", "Edit List", choose a city and
    > "Edit". Each city must be edited separately. I hope Palm will produce
    > updates covering all time zone changes for all models.
    >
    > The new DST rules are:
    > Start 2nd Sunday in March
    > End 1st Sunday in November

    I did realise that I could change individual cities and was hoping that there
    would be a proper fix, as I am not sure what to do with places like Arizona,
    the palm say 'no daylight saving', does that remain or are they joining the
    rest of the USA.

    This change has only come to my attention from a few newsgroups this week and
    I have seem one article in The Register (Techie news), it did state that the
    time difference between London and New York will be 6 hours, I would have
    thought 4.

    I suspect that most Europeans are blissfully unaware that this change is taking
    place.

    Must admit I am envious, I wish we were getting an extra month of daylight in
    the evening.

    Phil

  3. Re: Daylight saving

    Phil wrote:
    > Bill Marcum writes:
    >
    >> On 07 Feb 2007 10:49:11 +0000, Phil
    >> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Have palm produced a fix for the new US daylight saving dates for
    >>> the T2?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks Phil

    >> You can change the daylight savings start and end dates by going to
    >> "Prefs", "Date & Time", "Location", "Edit List", choose a city and
    >> "Edit". Each city must be edited separately. I hope Palm will
    >> produce updates covering all time zone changes for all models.
    >>
    >> The new DST rules are:
    >> Start 2nd Sunday in March
    >> End 1st Sunday in November
    >>

    > I did realise that I could change individual cities and was hoping
    > that there would be a proper fix, as I am not sure what to do with
    > places like Arizona, the palm say 'no daylight saving', does that
    > remain or are they joining the rest of the USA.
    >
    > This change has only come to my attention from a few newsgroups this
    > week and I have seem one article in The Register (Techie news), it
    > did state that the time difference between London and New York will
    > be 6 hours, I would have thought 4.
    >
    > I suspect that most Europeans are blissfully unaware that this change
    > is taking place.
    >
    > Must admit I am envious, I wish we were getting an extra month of
    > daylight in the evening.
    >
    > Phil

    There's a free program caled aDSTKeeper at
    http://www.a0soft.com/aDSTKeeper.htm which knows the time changes for more
    than 1000 cities worldwide. I've used it on my Palm for several years
    although less now that I have stopped travelling on business.

    I assume it knows the new US rules. You could ask the developer ...

    I think you are right, *most* of us Europeans are unaware the change is
    taking place. For most of us it makes about as much difference as a similar
    European change would make to most Americans ;-)

    --

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  4. Re: Daylight saving

    Phil wrote:

    > Bill Marcum writes:
    >
    >> On 07 Feb 2007 10:49:11 +0000, Phil
    >> wrote:
    >> >

    >> > Have palm produced a fix for the new US daylight saving dates for the
    >> > T2?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks Phil

    >> You can change the daylight savings start and end dates by going to
    >> "Prefs", "Date & Time", "Location", "Edit List", choose a city and
    >> "Edit". Each city must be edited separately. I hope Palm will produce
    >> updates covering all time zone changes for all models.
    >>
    >> The new DST rules are:
    >> Start 2nd Sunday in March
    >> End 1st Sunday in November
    >>

    > I did realise that I could change individual cities and was hoping that
    > there would be a proper fix, as I am not sure what to do with places like
    > Arizona, the palm say 'no daylight saving', does that remain or are they
    > joining the rest of the USA.

    Regions that do not observe DST will continue to not observe DST (I say
    regions instead of states because Illinois seems to vary by county). It's
    about time we abolished DST anyway, given that the justification for DST
    ended around the time Hitler pulled a Cobain. Why cause 3000 driver
    fatigue related fatalities nationwide in the week following the clock
    change twice a year and screw with the night shift's schedule if we don't
    have to?

  5. Re: Daylight saving

    "Paul Johnson" wrote in message
    > Phil wrote:
    >
    > > Bill Marcum writes:

    > >> You can change the daylight savings start and end dates by going to
    > >> "Prefs", "Date & Time", "Location", "Edit List", choose a city and
    > >> "Edit". Each city must be edited separately. I hope Palm will produce
    > >> updates covering all time zone changes for all models.
    > >>
    > >> The new DST rules are:
    > >> Start 2nd Sunday in March
    > >> End 1st Sunday in November
    > >>

    > > I did realise that I could change individual cities and was hoping that
    > > there would be a proper fix, as I am not sure what to do with places

    like
    > > Arizona, the palm say 'no daylight saving', does that remain or are they
    > > joining the rest of the USA.

    > Regions that do not observe DST will continue to not observe DST (I say
    > regions instead of states because Illinois seems to vary by county). It's
    > about time we abolished DST anyway, given that the justification for DST
    > ended around the time Hitler pulled a Cobain. Why cause 3000 driver
    > fatigue related fatalities nationwide in the week following the clock
    > change twice a year and screw with the night shift's schedule if we don't
    > have to?
    >

    > --

    Actually, the whole state of Illinois observes DST - Indiana, however, has a
    region in the northwest part of the state (Chicagoland) that follows
    Central, instead of Eastern time zone.

  6. Re: Daylight saving

    In article , Phil wrote:
    >Have palm produced a fix for the new US daylight saving dates for the T2?

    this may not be what you're looking for but it works for me.

    i use TimeCopy to synch the time with the desktop.

    the desktop uses Atomic Clock Synch to synchronize its time to some server
    once a day.

    regards,

    Gee

    I hated the sunsets of whatever colour, I hated its beauty and its
    magic and the secret I would never know. I hated its indifference and
    the cruelty which was part of its loveliness.

    --- Jean Rhys, Wide Sargossa Sea

+ Reply to Thread