Tungsten C wireless stopped working - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Tungsten C wireless stopped working - Palmtop ; My Tungsten C can't see any 802.11 access points or connect to the networks I had already configured. I left it in a bag in my car during cold weather. That may have broken something. It's not really useful to ...

  1. Tungsten C wireless stopped working

    My Tungsten C can't see any 802.11 access points or connect to
    the networks I had already configured. I left it in a bag in
    my car during cold weather. That may have broken something.

    It's not really useful to me without wireless. Is it worth
    trying to diagnose or fix this ~3 year old device? If so,
    how?

    Assuming it's dead, what do people like these days for handhelds
    with 802.11? (Must not run Windows or be a cell phone.)

    --
    John Carr (jfc@mit.edu)

  2. Re: Tungsten C wireless stopped working

    John F. Carr a écrit :
    > My Tungsten C can't see any 802.11 access points or connect to
    > the networks I had already configured. I left it in a bag in
    > my car during cold weather. That may have broken something.
    >
    > It's not really useful to me without wireless. Is it worth
    > trying to diagnose or fix this ~3 year old device? If so,
    > how?
    >
    > Assuming it's dead, what do people like these days for handhelds
    > with 802.11? (Must not run Windows or be a cell phone.)

    Well, the choices are few...

    - Palm TX or LifeDrive
    - Some Sharp Zaurus (running a Linux OS, embedded keyboard like on the T|C)
    - Nokia Internet Tablet (also a Linux OS, but it is said lacking some
    good contact / agenda apps, ...)

    Hope this helps.

    Charly

  3. Re: Tungsten C wireless stopped working

    On 30 Jan 2007 15:42:31 GMT, jfc@mit.edu (John F. Carr) wrote:

    >My Tungsten C can't see any 802.11 access points or connect to
    >the networks I had already configured. I left it in a bag in
    >my car during cold weather. That may have broken something.
    >
    >It's not really useful to me without wireless. Is it worth
    >trying to diagnose or fix this ~3 year old device? If so,
    >how?
    >
    >Assuming it's dead, what do people like these days for handhelds
    >with 802.11? (Must not run Windows or be a cell phone.)

    The T|X is the obvious successor to the Tungsten C. You do lose the
    thumbboard and built-in voice recording, but you gain RAM, Bluetooth,
    a real headset jack, good volume, a bigger screen, etc. Avoid the
    LifeDrive (I've had both; the LifeDrive was and is a dog compared to
    the T|X). There are few oddities of the T|X related to the
    non-volatile file system and how memory is allocated, but they are
    annoyances at worst. {Prof. Jonathan}
    -------------------
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Assistant Professor of Law and Technology
    Director, Institute for Business, Law and Technology (IBLT)
    Touro Law Center
    300 Nassau Road, Huntington, NY 11743
    Tel: 631-421-2244 x412 Fax: 516-977-3001
    e-mail: jezor@tourolaw.edu

  4. Re: Tungsten C wireless stopped working

    On Jan 30, 9:42 am, j...@mit.edu (John F. Carr) wrote:
    > My Tungsten C can't see any 802.11 access points or connect to
    > the networks I had already configured. I left it in a bag in
    > my car during cold weather. That may have broken something.
    >
    > It's not really useful to me without wireless. Is it worth
    > trying to diagnose or fix this ~3 year old device? If so,
    > how?
    >
    > Assuming it's dead, what do people like these days for handhelds
    > with 802.11? (Must not run Windows or be a cell phone.)
    >
    > --
    > John Carr (j...@mit.edu)

    If you took the Palm into a warm while it was still cold, water from
    the warm, moist house could have condensed on (and in) the device.
    This could cause a short somewhere.

+ Reply to Thread