Flash into ROM in Palm Tungsten T3 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Flash into ROM in Palm Tungsten T3 - Palmtop ; Has anyone tried to flash applications into T3's ROM? I did it with some success for the M500 using Jack Flash but as they don't develop that application anymore I wonder if there's any other application like that? Anyone knows?...

  1. Flash into ROM in Palm Tungsten T3

    Has anyone tried to flash applications into T3's ROM? I did it with
    some success for the M500 using Jack Flash but as they don't develop
    that application anymore I wonder if there's any other application like
    that?
    Anyone knows?

  2. Re: Flash into ROM in Palm Tungsten T3

    "Laser" wrote in message
    news:1169824451.954243.284700@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > Has anyone tried to flash applications into T3's ROM? I did it with
    > some success for the M500 using Jack Flash but as they don't develop
    > that application anymore I wonder if there's any other application like
    > that?
    > Anyone knows?

    Yes; the later versions of Jack Flash manage it just fine.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  3. Re: Flash into ROM in Palm Tungsten T3

    On Jan 26, 9:14 pm, "DervMan" wrote:
    > "Laser" wrote in messagenews:1169824451.954243.284700@v33g2000cwv.g ooglegroups.com...
    >
    > > Has anyone tried to flash applications into T3's ROM? I did it with
    > > some success for the M500 using Jack Flash but as they don't develop
    > > that application anymore I wonder if there's any other application like
    > > that?
    > > Anyone knows?Yes; the later versions of Jack Flash manage it just fine.

    > --
    > The DervManwww.dervman.com

    OK, sounds good. Maybe too good if you look around in different forums.
    Some say it f*cked up there unit and some say it works great. Also,
    Brayder doesn't develop this app any longer. I've looked around quite a
    bit and can't find any other app like this one (except some former app
    before JackFlash from Handera I think).
    Anyway, what's your experience with the program Dervman (or anyone
    else)?
    Do you know if the apps placed in ROM by JackFlash will run as smoothly
    as in RAM?
    Will they startup as quickly as in RAM?
    Any problems occured using it?

    BR/
    Lasse

  4. Re: Flash into ROM in Palm Tungsten T3

    "Laser" wrote in message
    news:1169857971.920645.142520@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...

    > On Jan 26, 9:14 pm, "DervMan" wrote:
    >> "Laser" wrote in
    >> messagenews:1169824451.954243.284700@v33g2000cwv.g ooglegroups.com...
    >>
    >> > Has anyone tried to flash applications into T3's ROM? I did it with
    >> > some success for the M500 using Jack Flash but as they don't develop
    >> > that application anymore I wonder if there's any other application like
    >> > that?
    >> > Anyone knows?Yes; the later versions of Jack Flash manage it just fine.

    >> --
    >> The DervManwww.dervman.com

    > OK, sounds good. Maybe too good if you look around in different forums.
    > Some say it f*cked up there unit and some say it works great. Also,
    > Brayder doesn't develop this app any longer. I've looked around quite a
    > bit and can't find any other app like this one (except some former app
    > before JackFlash from Handera I think).
    > Anyway, what's your experience with the program Dervman (or anyone
    > else)?

    Generally positive, but I don't use it any more...

    > Do you know if the apps placed in ROM by JackFlash will run as smoothly
    > as in RAM?

    Some work just as well. Some seem to work then crash horribly. Some crash
    immediately and require a hard reset. You can get around 10 Mb of available
    memory if you remove additional languages.

    > Will they startup as quickly as in RAM?

    No difference that I can tell: but then the T3 isn't short of processor
    power.

    > Any problems occured using it?

    Yes, initially lots. It was down to the applications I'd put into flash
    memory. I run my device at 200 MHz for the most part and when I did this
    I'd have issues with JackFlash. At 400 MHz, yeah everything worked fine
    except the battery life wasn't wonderful. Documents-to-Go is the largest
    application (suite) on the device and I had problems running this from flash
    ROM, so I had to put this into main memory and my other applications were
    around, hmm, a megabyte at the most.

    I didn't see the point in using it since I couldn't put Documents-to-Go into
    the free space and besides, the unit was sitting with around 36 Mb of free
    space...

    It's on my device just in case I need it, but, I don't at the moment.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  5. Re: Flash into ROM in Palm Tungsten T3

    Laser wrote:
    > Has anyone tried to flash applications into T3's ROM? I did it with
    > some success for the M500 using Jack Flash but as they don't develop
    > that application anymore I wonder if there's any other application like
    > that?
    > Anyone knows?

    With SD cards so cheap do people still need to push to ROM for any reason?

  6. Re: Flash into ROM in Palm Tungsten T3

    The latest version of JackFlash works fine with my T3 (version 3.1.1).
    To get the best of of it you need to get JackSprat, which allows you
    to remove apps from ROM to free up more space (see the "JackSprat/
    JackFlash Primer" on Tanker Bob's Palm site (http://www.tankerbob.com/
    palm/).
    Unfortunately, Brayder, the developers of JackSprat and JackFlash have
    just recently closed up shop.

    On Jan 26, 10:14 am, "Laser" wrote:
    > Has anyone tried to flash applications into T3's ROM? I did it with
    > some success for the M500 using Jack Flash but as they don't develop
    > that application anymore I wonder if there's any other application like
    > that?
    > Anyone knows?

  7. Re: Flash into ROM in Palm Tungsten T3

    On Jan 27, 3:27 pm, Ernie W wrote:
    > Laser wrote:
    > > Has anyone tried to flash applications into T3's ROM? I did it with
    > > some success for the M500 using Jack Flash but as they don't develop
    > > that application anymore I wonder if there's any other application like
    > > that?
    > > Anyone knows?With SD cards so cheap do people still need to push to ROM for any reason?

    I can find a very good reasons:
    *The programs start up much quicker from ROM than from a SD card.
    If you for example have Avantgo with a big account and some other apps
    that you want to have readily access to (many games and other programs
    require to have db-files in RAM) you will end up soon or later with
    shortage of space in RAM.

    /L

+ Reply to Thread