VersaMail will not send - Palmtop

This is a discussion on VersaMail will not send - Palmtop ; I have had VersaMail set up to send a copy to my e-mail account in order to get a copy in Entourage of e-mails sent from my Treo 650, but when I try to send an e-mail I get the ...

  1. VersaMail will not send

    I have had VersaMail set up to send a copy to my e-mail account in order
    to get a copy in Entourage of e-mails sent from my Treo 650, but when I
    try to send an e-mail I get the following error message:

    =550.5.7.1
    ... we do not relay

    The first e-mail address is the address I try to send the e-mail to, the
    second the one I send it from [and want to receive on my computer].
    Simply put, VersaMail won't send the e-mail.

    And it doesn't help to go into Options->Preferences->Message->Reply
    Options to remove->Always BCC a copy to the xxx@xxx.xx, or to change the
    address mentioned.

    How do I reset VersaMail such that I may once more send e-mails from the
    Treo?
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  2. Re: VersaMail will not send

    Per Rønne a écrit :
    > I have had VersaMail set up to send a copy to my e-mail account in order
    > to get a copy in Entourage of e-mails sent from my Treo 650, but when I
    > try to send an e-mail I get the following error message:
    >
    > =550.5.7.1
    > ... we do not relay
    >
    > The first e-mail address is the address I try to send the e-mail to, the
    > second the one I send it from [and want to receive on my computer].
    > Simply put, VersaMail won't send the e-mail.
    >
    > And it doesn't help to go into Options->Preferences->Message->Reply
    > Options to remove->Always BCC a copy to the xxx@xxx.xx, or to change the
    > address mentioned.
    >
    > How do I reset VersaMail such that I may once more send e-mails from the
    > Treo?

    This is the way most ISP's handle SMTP (Send Mail Transfer Protocol) :
    You MUST use the SMTP server of your current network (i.e. the mobile
    phone Internet link ?) and in general, you MUST use a "local" email
    address (i.e. belonging to the current network, although most ISP's are
    not so restrictive about the sender's address.

    There is two goals for that :

    1/ This is done to prevent mail relay and fake addresses to send email,
    thus to prevent use of the SMTP server to send SPAM.

    2/ This is done also to force you to use the current ISP's email service
    ;-). But this address can be generaly retrieved from your PC as well, so
    why not ?

    Workaround :

    A/ You can use a internet mail service providing SMTP service from
    whereever on the Internet. GMail is a good exemple (free, using
    encrypted SMTP), but others exist, like Yahoo mail (but POP/SMTP access
    will cost you some bucks, by default Yahoo works only with web access,
    thus providing you with advertisments).

    B/ If you have a broadband internet access at home, you can also set up
    your own SMTP service. Doing so you must be carefull to protect it and
    prevent spamers to use (change default port, set a password protection,
    etc.).

    Hope this helps,

  3. Re: VersaMail will not send

    Charly wrote:

    > Per Rønne a écrit :
    > > I have had VersaMail set up to send a copy to my e-mail account in order
    > > to get a copy in Entourage of e-mails sent from my Treo 650, but when I
    > > try to send an e-mail I get the following error message:
    > >
    > > =550.5.7.1
    > > ... we do not relay
    > >
    > > The first e-mail address is the address I try to send the e-mail to, the
    > > second the one I send it from [and want to receive on my computer].
    > > Simply put, VersaMail won't send the e-mail.
    > >
    > > And it doesn't help to go into Options->Preferences->Message->Reply
    > > Options to remove->Always BCC a copy to the xxx@xxx.xx, or to change the
    > > address mentioned.
    > >
    > > How do I reset VersaMail such that I may once more send e-mails from the
    > > Treo?

    > This is the way most ISP's handle SMTP (Send Mail Transfer Protocol) :
    > You MUST use the SMTP server of your current network (i.e. the mobile
    > phone Internet link ?) and in general, you MUST use a "local" email
    > address (i.e. belonging to the current network, although most ISP's are
    > not so restrictive about the sender's address.
    >
    > There is two goals for that :
    >
    > 1/ This is done to prevent mail relay and fake addresses to send email,
    > thus to prevent use of the SMTP server to send SPAM.
    >
    > 2/ This is done also to force you to use the current ISP's email service
    > ;-). But this address can be generaly retrieved from your PC as well, so
    > why not ?
    >
    > Workaround :
    >
    > A/ You can use a internet mail service providing SMTP service from
    > whereever on the Internet. GMail is a good exemple (free, using
    > encrypted SMTP), but others exist, like Yahoo mail (but POP/SMTP access
    > will cost you some bucks, by default Yahoo works only with web access,
    > thus providing you with advertisments).

    The company that holds my mail hotel helped me - and now it works. When
    sending e-mail from the Treo it was necessary to use authentification.

    > B/ If you have a broadband internet access at home, you can also set up
    > your own SMTP service. Doing so you must be carefull to protect it and
    > prevent spamers to use (change default port, set a password protection,
    > etc.).

    Yes, I know. It would be to troublesome to prevent spam ...

    > Hope this helps,

    It did, thank you very much.

    Actually, I thought it had something to do with the setting I had made
    to send myself a BCC of everything sent from the Treo, in order to have
    those e-mails in my Entourage archive on my Mac.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

+ Reply to Thread