Palm Tungsten E2 Bluetooth Internet - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm Tungsten E2 Bluetooth Internet - Palmtop ; Is this possible? I've seen a few guides, but nothing seems to work. Some of the guides rely upon a program that is no longer available, called "m-router". Others use MochaPPP, which I have not been able to get to ...

  1. Palm Tungsten E2 Bluetooth Internet

    Is this possible?
    I've seen a few guides, but nothing seems to work.
    Some of the guides rely upon a program that is no longer available,
    called "m-router". Others use MochaPPP, which I have not been able to
    get to work. I /have/ gotten hotsync working (through a virtual com
    port on the PC), but the internet connection just does not want to
    work.
    Any pointers to guides that will really work? Or perhaps to where I
    can still get m-router?
    My PC is a Dell Inspiron 600m with Windows XP.

  2. Re: Palm Tungsten E2 Bluetooth Internet

    On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:09:53 -0000, Richard Hartman
    wrote:

    > Is this possible?
    > I've seen a few guides, but nothing seems to work.
    > Some of the guides rely upon a program that is no longer available,
    > called "m-router". Others use MochaPPP, which I have not been able to
    > get to work. I /have/ gotten hotsync working (through a virtual com
    > port on the PC), but the internet connection just does not want to
    > work.
    > Any pointers to guides that will really work? Or perhaps to where I
    > can still get m-router?
    > My PC is a Dell Inspiron 600m with Windows XP.

    From my own T|E2:

    Goto Prefs, select Connection. Tap New; give your new connection a name.
    Connect to: PC (from drop down list). Via: Bluetooth. Device: Tap to find.
    Do that and pair with your PC. Tap OK. Select Network in the Prefs panel.
    Tap New, name it. Leave User Name: blank and leave Password: -Prompt-.
    Connection: select the one you just made from the pull down list. Tap
    Details. Connection Type: PPP; Idle timeout: Never. Ticks in Query DNS and
    IP Address. Tap Script: Tap pulldown End and select Send. Type CLIENT (in
    caps). Tap End again and repeat Send: CLIENT. Tap End once more and select
    Wait For; type CLIENTSERVER. Tap on the screen, away from the CLIENTSERVER
    line to make the cursor disappear (this is important; if you don't do this
    the line gets blanked). Tap OK, OK, then tap Connect. You should now have
    a conection to your PC. Try Menu/Options/View log to see the connect log.
    You should see some back and forth between Palm and PC then Service name:
    yours, Local IP address: 192.168.0.x (probably 5), Gateway address:
    0.0.0.0 (may vary) and DNS addresses. If you get this far try Web and see
    if you can reach the internet.

    Good luck.
    --
    Regards, etc.
    Jonathan Quirk

  3. Re: Palm Tungsten E2 Bluetooth Internet

    What software is on the PC side for this to work? MochaPPP? Microsoft
    RAS? M-Router?

    Jonathan Quirk wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:09:53 -0000, Richard Hartman
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Is this possible?
    > > I've seen a few guides, but nothing seems to work.
    > > Some of the guides rely upon a program that is no longer available,
    > > called "m-router". Others use MochaPPP, which I have not been able to
    > > get to work. I /have/ gotten hotsync working (through a virtual com
    > > port on the PC), but the internet connection just does not want to
    > > work.
    > > Any pointers to guides that will really work? Or perhaps to where I
    > > can still get m-router?
    > > My PC is a Dell Inspiron 600m with Windows XP.
    > >

    > From my own T|E2:
    >
    > Goto Prefs, select Connection. Tap New; give your new connection a name.
    > Connect to: PC (from drop down list). Via: Bluetooth. Device: Tap to find.
    > Do that and pair with your PC. Tap OK. Select Network in the Prefs panel.
    > Tap New, name it. Leave User Name: blank and leave Password: -Prompt-.
    > Connection: select the one you just made from the pull down list. Tap
    > Details. Connection Type: PPP; Idle timeout: Never. Ticks in Query DNS and
    > IP Address. Tap Script: Tap pulldown End and select Send. Type CLIENT (in
    > caps). Tap End again and repeat Send: CLIENT. Tap End once more and select
    > Wait For; type CLIENTSERVER. Tap on the screen, away from the CLIENTSERVER
    > line to make the cursor disappear (this is important; if you don't do this
    > the line gets blanked). Tap OK, OK, then tap Connect. You should now have
    > a conection to your PC. Try Menu/Options/View log to see the connect log.
    > You should see some back and forth between Palm and PC then Service name:
    > yours, Local IP address: 192.168.0.x (probably 5), Gateway address:
    > 0.0.0.0 (may vary) and DNS addresses. If you get this far try Web and see
    > if you can reach the internet.
    >
    > Good luck.
    > --
    > Regards, etc.
    > Jonathan Quirk
    > jonathan AT quirk DOT force9 DOT co DOT uk
    > Ascot, Berkshire, UK

  4. Re: Palm Tungsten E2 Bluetooth Internet

    Richard Hartman wrote:

    > What software is on the PC side for this to work? MochaPPP? Microsoft
    > RAS? M-Router?

    None.
    A longer explanation of what was said is at the link below.
    Use method #2 if possible.
    It's pretty much what I did. Works fine.

    I also have one palm (my partners) synchronising via bluetooth serial and
    mine via LAN.
    Bluetooth is very capable, but windows can fight you a little.

    One thing to note about the description in the link below. I didn't have the
    dropdown box in the 'sharing' tab to select networks. If you don't have
    that, don't panic. Just skip the little bit about selecting the bluetooth
    network. The rest of the process still works and sets up just fine.

    http://www.palmzone.net/content.php?pid=2
    -snip-

    --
    -----> http://members.dodo.com.au/~izabelli...tan/index.html <-----
    ===== It's not pretty, it's not great, but it is mine. =====

  5. Re: Palm Tungsten E2 Bluetooth Internet

    In message <1169508058.920264.178690@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups. com>
    "Richard Hartman" wrote:

    >What software is on the PC side for this to work? MochaPPP? Microsoft
    >RAS? M-Router?

    Microsoft's "internet connection sharing" is the easiest. RRAS can do
    it too.

    --
    This signature was randomly selected

  6. Re: Palm Tungsten E2 Bluetooth Internet

    I didn't have that drop-down, which was one of the problems I had.
    Another is that I could not enter anything into the "SEND" fields of
    the script on the Palm. In the end, I entered "CLIENT" as the
    username, and used "Send User ID" in the script. (I couldn't do a
    "wait" for "CLIENTSERVER", but that didn't seem to matter).
    However, when all that is done, the web browser on the palm dies with:
    wait a sec, when I tried to reproduce it, it worked!

    Amazing. I guess that just goes to show "when at first you don't
    succeed, try try again".

    Thanks for your help, everbody who answered.

    Tristan Mumford wrote:
    > Richard Hartman wrote:
    >
    > > What software is on the PC side for this to work? MochaPPP? Microsoft
    > > RAS? M-Router?

    > None.
    > A longer explanation of what was said is at the link below.
    > Use method #2 if possible.
    > It's pretty much what I did. Works fine.
    >
    > I also have one palm (my partners) synchronising via bluetooth serial and
    > mine via LAN.
    > Bluetooth is very capable, but windows can fight you a little.
    >
    > One thing to note about the description in the link below. I didn't have the
    > dropdown box in the 'sharing' tab to select networks. If you don't have
    > that, don't panic. Just skip the little bit about selecting the bluetooth
    > network. The rest of the process still works and sets up just fine.
    >
    > http://www.palmzone.net/content.php?pid=2
    > -snip-
    >
    > --
    > -----> http://members.dodo.com.au/~izabelli...tan/index.html <-----