Cannot get Desktop to install under new user. - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Cannot get Desktop to install under new user. - Palmtop ; I recently got rid of my home domain server, subsequently removing my system from the domain and started simply logging into it as a local user. I am part of the administrators group. Most applications worked fine after doing this, ...

  1. Cannot get Desktop to install under new user.

    I recently got rid of my home domain server, subsequently removing my
    system from the domain and started simply logging into it as a local
    user. I am part of the administrators group. Most applications worked
    fine after doing this, but a few needed to be reinstalled.

    Anyway, I went to synch my m515 and found it no longer would, although
    hotsynch was running. So I figured it just needed to be reinstalled.
    I downloaded the latest and proceeded. It needed a new copy of the
    installshield software as I got the 1607 error. Downloaded that and
    installed it. Then I tried the Desktop again. This time it gets to
    the tail end of the install where it says this may take a few minutes
    pleas wait and the thermometer bar is about 80% across. It just hangs
    here. I left it overnight, no change. You have to kill it in task
    manager.

    Since then I have tried uninstalling it by deleting all palm references
    from the registry and deleting the install directory. I have tired via
    the uninstall. I have tried numerous times to install again with the
    same results. Has anybody seen this? Any tips?

    -Jim

  2. Re: Cannot get Desktop to install under new user.

    1/28

    Go to palm.com & then support. Search for the error code. Chances are
    its a microsoft error, the link should refer a fix link.

    jtpryan wrote:
    > I recently got rid of my home domain server, subsequently removing my
    > system from the domain and started simply logging into it as a local
    > user. I am part of the administrators group. Most applications worked
    > fine after doing this, but a few needed to be reinstalled.
    >
    > Anyway, I went to synch my m515 and found it no longer would, although
    > hotsynch was running. So I figured it just needed to be reinstalled.
    > I downloaded the latest and proceeded. It needed a new copy of the
    > installshield software as I got the 1607 error. Downloaded that and
    > installed it. Then I tried the Desktop again. This time it gets to
    > the tail end of the install where it says this may take a few minutes
    > pleas wait and the thermometer bar is about 80% across. It just hangs
    > here. I left it overnight, no change. You have to kill it in task
    > manager.
    >
    > Since then I have tried uninstalling it by deleting all palm references
    > from the registry and deleting the install directory. I have tired via
    > the uninstall. I have tried numerous times to install again with the
    > same results. Has anybody seen this? Any tips?
    >
    > -Jim

  3. Re: Cannot get Desktop to install under new user.

    On Jan 28, 6:21 pm, Alt wrote:
    > 1/28
    >
    > Go to palm.com & then support. Search for the error code. Chances are
    > its a microsoft error, the link should refer a fix link.
    >
    > jtpryan wrote:
    > > I recently got rid of my home domain server, subsequently removing my
    > > system from the domain and started simply logging into it as a local
    > > user. I am part of the administrators group. Most applications worked
    > > fine after doing this, but a few needed to be reinstalled.

    > > Anyway, I went to synch my m515 and found it no longer would, although
    > > hotsynch was running. So I figured it just needed to be reinstalled.
    > > I downloaded the latest and proceeded. It needed a new copy of the
    > > installshield software as I got the 1607 error. Downloaded that and
    > > installed it. Then I tried the Desktop again. This time it gets to
    > > the tail end of the install where it says this may take a few minutes
    > > pleas wait and the thermometer bar is about 80% across. It just hangs
    > > here. I left it overnight, no change. You have to kill it in task
    > > manager.

    > > Since then I have tried uninstalling it by deleting all palm references
    > > from the registry and deleting the install directory. I have tired via
    > > the uninstall. I have tried numerous times to install again with the
    > > same results. Has anybody seen this? Any tips?

    > > -Jim

    Now I get this:

    I am trying to install this on my XP system and constantly get the
    following:

    Data Transfer Error Information

    ComponentError returned the following data transfer error.
    Setup will now abort.

    Media Name: data
    Component: Controls
    File Group: Controls
    File: C:\Windows\sysetm32\Vsflex6.ocx
    Error Number: -119

    I have renamed the .ocx, removed it, copied another one. All to no
    avail. I have used this for years with no problem, but I recently
    reconfigured my network and am now logged onto my system as a local
    user, causing mirror to fail. So I uninstalled it and am now trying
    reinstall.

    I don't see any references to this on the palm site.

    -Jim

+ Reply to Thread