upgrade from palm Vx to Tx... advice??? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on upgrade from palm Vx to Tx... advice??? - Palmtop ; Hey all, I currently have a palm Vx, and love it. the time has come, however, to upgrade. I will be picking up my new TX later next week, and was wondering the best way to switch.... As I see ...

  1. upgrade from palm Vx to Tx... advice???

    Hey all,

    I currently have a palm Vx, and love it. the time has come, however,
    to upgrade. I will be picking up my new TX later next week, and was
    wondering the best way to switch....

    As I see it, there are a few options:

    use the same username, and let a hotsync move all my info for me,

    use a differant username, and beam all the address stuff over...

    or

    someone mentioned about useing a differant username, and then manually
    copying the info from one profile to another.

    any advice?

    thanks!

    dave

  2. Re: upgrade from palm Vx to Tx... advice???

    Hello, Dave Allyn !
    You wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I currently have a palm Vx, and love it. the time has come,
    > however,
    > to upgrade. I will be picking up my new TX later next week,
    > and was
    > wondering the best way to switch....

    I recently switched from a Handspring Visor Edge to a Treo 680.
    I did some research, and made the switch painlessly by a
    modification on your first solution:

    > use the same username, and let a hotsync move all my info for
    > me,

    The above would work except for the fact that you really want to
    update much of your Vx software to the most recent versions. The
    reason for this is many apps needed to be tweaked to robustly
    handle the NVFS system in current palms like the TX ... esp
    programs that do work in the background like alarm clocks etc.
    Also, some programs on your Vx like hacks or DAs won't work on
    your Palm OS 5 TX.

    So to make the switch, I would do what you suggest above but
    before you do your first sync to the TX, go into the /Program
    Files/Palm/foo folder (where foo = your hotsync name) and rename
    the "backup" folder you find there to backup.palmvx or some such.
    Then sync your TX. This will bring over your address book,
    memos, etc, but it will not bring over any of the apps you
    installed. For apps, install them one by one after looking for
    updated versions.

    And I also recommed that you update Palm Desktop with the cd-rom
    that came with your TX before doing the sync.

    Good Luck
    Todd

    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

  3. Re: upgrade from palm Vx to Tx... advice???

    On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 20:38:43 GMT-6, tannenba@csNO.SPAMwisc.edu (Todd
    Tannenbaum) wrote:

    >Hello, Dave Allyn !
    >You wrote:
    >
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> I currently have a palm Vx, and love it. the time has come,
    >> however,
    >> to upgrade. I will be picking up my new TX later next week,
    >> and was
    >> wondering the best way to switch....
    >>

    >I recently switched from a Handspring Visor Edge to a Treo 680.
    >I did some research, and made the switch painlessly by a
    >modification on your first solution:
    >

    >> use the same username, and let a hotsync move all my info for
    >> me,
    >>

    >The above would work except for the fact that you really want to
    >update much of your Vx software to the most recent versions. The
    >reason for this is many apps needed to be tweaked to robustly
    >handle the NVFS system in current palms like the TX ... esp
    >programs that do work in the background like alarm clocks etc.
    >Also, some programs on your Vx like hacks or DAs won't work on
    >your Palm OS 5 TX.
    >
    >So to make the switch, I would do what you suggest above but
    >before you do your first sync to the TX, go into the /Program
    >Files/Palm/foo folder (where foo = your hotsync name) and rename
    >the "backup" folder you find there to backup.palmvx or some such.
    > Then sync your TX. This will bring over your address book,
    >memos, etc, but it will not bring over any of the apps you
    >installed. For apps, install them one by one after looking for
    >updated versions.
    >
    >And I also recommed that you update Palm Desktop with the cd-rom
    >that came with your TX before doing the sync.

    So, basically I would want to do this:

    1) hot sync my Vx to make sure everything is current on the desktop
    (Obvious)

    2) rename the backup folder inside of the profile name to something
    else to avoid syncing over any programs.

    3) install the new software with the Tx from CD

    4) Hotsync the Tx with the same username to copy over the contacts,
    etc.

    5) Manually install any/all programs that I want to use with the Tx,
    checking first to make sure there are no new updates from the
    suppliers of the programs.

    6) Probably a good idea to install one program at a time and then
    check to make sure everything else is still working prior to
    installing the next one.

    You know.... upgrading from my III to the Vx was alot easier...

    >Good Luck

    Thanks!

  4. Re: upgrade from palm Vx to Tx... advice???

    Dave Allyn wrote:
    >>> I currently have a palm Vx, and love it. the time has come,
    >>> however,
    >>> to upgrade. I will be picking up my new TX later next week,
    >>> and

    If you have as many apps as I do then this is an onerous procedure. Bckupbuddy VFS and desktop and then a simple desktop overwrites hh sync is better and fix any bad programs later.
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

+ Reply to Thread