T3 - the best handheld ever made - Palmtop

This is a discussion on T3 - the best handheld ever made - Palmtop ; I can't be the only one believing that Tungsten T3 is the best handheld ever made. Any disagreeing? Design ---------- It's slim, beautiful and compact with the adjustable screen. Fits perfect in any pocket (even with a hardcase) . Hardware ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. T3 - the best handheld ever made

    ----------
    It's slim, beautiful and compact with the adjustable screen. Fits
    perfect in any pocket (even with a hardcase) .

    Hardware
    --------------
    Has everything one would need (except a WiFi standard but a WiFi card
    works perfectly with it and really, who wants a VGA or even a 2-3 MB
    camera on his/her Palm - most have it already on there mobile phone and
    the pictures just by luck turns out well)

    The 400MHz processor still stands good in competetion.

    The voice button with a great microphone makes a perfect memo recorder
    (why did they leave it out in the E-models??)

    The five way navigation is excellent.

    Screen is totally sufficient and shows good colours. One drawback
    though - In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.

    Software
    --------------
    The T3 has the old OS v5.2.1, that I think is one of the best features
    as you can use all your old applications with out any problems. I had
    an E for a very short while and It hanged all the time when trying to
    use my favourite applications. I sold it within 2 weeks.

    I leave out reviewing my favourite applications as it would take too
    much space to list, but if anyone's interested tell me.

    Price
    --------
    Quite affordable. Today of course you can buy a handheld which is both
    quicker and have more capacity but they are more expensive and bigger.
    Better buy a small laptop instead.

  2. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    I had a T|3 for more than two years. I'd agree that the T|3 was a very
    capable handheld at the time - fast, great screen, universal connector

    I now have a TX and I must say that the only thing I miss from the T|3
    is the form factor: the collapsible, aluminum body. If there were a
    T|3 with non-volatile memory, built-in wifi, and long battery life, I'd
    be interested.

    Laser wrote:
    > I can't be the only one believing that Tungsten T3 is the best handheld
    > ever made.
    > Any disagreeing?

  3. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    I've owned a T3 for a couple years, and really like it. I just
    resently purchased a new TX and so far I'd say I like it a bit better
    because of the build in WiFi and increased memory.

    On 14 Jan 2007 15:42:49 -0800, "Laser"
    wrote:

    >I can't be the only one believing that Tungsten T3 is the best handheld
    >ever made.
    >Any disagreeing?
    >
    >Design
    >----------
    >It's slim, beautiful and compact with the adjustable screen. Fits
    >perfect in any pocket (even with a hardcase) .
    >
    >Hardware
    >--------------
    >Has everything one would need (except a WiFi standard but a WiFi card
    >works perfectly with it and really, who wants a VGA or even a 2-3 MB
    >camera on his/her Palm - most have it already on there mobile phone and
    >the pictures just by luck turns out well)
    >
    >The 400MHz processor still stands good in competetion.
    >
    >The voice button with a great microphone makes a perfect memo recorder
    >(why did they leave it out in the E-models??)
    >
    >The five way navigation is excellent.
    >
    >Screen is totally sufficient and shows good colours. One drawback
    >though - In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    >nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    >reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    >T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    >found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    >Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.
    >

    >Software
    >--------------
    >The T3 has the old OS v5.2.1, that I think is one of the best features
    >as you can use all your old applications with out any problems. I had
    >an E for a very short while and It hanged all the time when trying to
    >use my favourite applications. I sold it within 2 weeks.
    >
    >I leave out reviewing my favourite applications as it would take too
    >much space to list, but if anyone's interested tell me.
    >
    >Price
    >--------
    >Quite affordable. Today of course you can buy a handheld which is both
    >quicker and have more capacity but they are more expensive and bigger.
    >Better buy a small laptop instead.

    Regards,
    Del
    N8OFP

  4. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Del wrote:
    > I've owned a T3 for a couple years, and really like it. I just
    > resently purchased a new TX and so far I'd say I like it a bit better
    > because of the build in WiFi and increased memory.

    I have a TX now after using a Sony Clie 675. What I would like is the TX
    functionality (with an additional microphone) combined with the sound
    playback quality and the solid manufacturing quality of the Sony.

    --
    Frank Markgraf
    Frank /-at-/ FBMarkgraf /-dot-/ de

  5. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Frank Markgraf wrote:
    >75. What I would like is the TX
    >functionality (with an additional microphone) combined with the sound
    >playback quality and the solid manufacturing quality of the Sony.

    The Sony clie quality is rotten. Mine and friends batteries give out quickly.
    The basic font is unreadable with no contrast and too thin.
    I will takethe TX any day.

    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  6. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    I disagree, as I'm rather fond of my Sony Clie TH-55. Inline

    wrote:

    >I can't be the only one believing that Tungsten T3 is the best handheld
    >ever made.
    >Any disagreeing?
    >
    >Design
    >----------
    >It's slim, beautiful and compact with the adjustable screen. Fits
    >perfect in any pocket (even with a hardcase) .

    You've got me there on size.

    >Hardware
    >--------------
    >Has everything one would need (except a WiFi standard but a WiFi card
    >works perfectly with it and really, who wants a VGA or even a 2-3 MB
    >camera on his/her Palm - most have it already on there mobile phone and
    >the pictures just by luck turns out well)

    The Clie has Wi-Fi standard.

    >The 400MHz processor still stands good in competetion.

    True, but the Clie's variable speed processor allows it to have WAY,
    way better battery life. By a large factor.

    >The voice button with a great microphone makes a perfect memo recorder
    >(why did they leave it out in the E-models??)

    Same on the Clie.

    >The five way navigation is excellent.

    I'll take a scroll wheel over the five way navigation, especially for
    reading e-books.

    >Screen is totally sufficient and shows good colours. One drawback
    >though - In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    >nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    >reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    >T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    >found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    >Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.

    The Clie's got at least as good a screen.

    >Software
    >--------------
    >The T3 has the old OS v5.2.1, that I think is one of the best features
    >as you can use all your old applications with out any problems. I had
    >an E for a very short while and It hanged all the time when trying to
    >use my favourite applications. I sold it within 2 weeks.

    Same.

    >I leave out reviewing my favourite applications as it would take too
    >much space to list, but if anyone's interested tell me.
    >
    >Price
    >--------
    >Quite affordable. Today of course you can buy a handheld which is both
    >quicker and have more capacity but they are more expensive and bigger.
    >Better buy a small laptop instead.

    Same. The main TH-55 advantage? Battery life.
    --
    Mike Koenecke
    http://macros.koenecke.us

  7. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Agreed. I owned 3 Palms before the T3, updating as each new model came out.
    When the successor to the T3 came out, I thought it was a step backwards and
    stopped updating. Instead, I bought 2 T3s as backups when they were being
    sold off cheap.
    Excellent as a PDA, excellent for GPS in my car (Tomtom) and walking/cycling
    (Fugawi), excellent for watching TV on the move (with Xvid and a 1Gb card I
    have 7 hours of TV).
    Snags: no Wifi (I have a Palm Wifi card), so-so battery life (I carry mains,
    car and battery chargers), the digitizer eventually goes wonky (I have
    learned how to replace it), the little screws on the side fall out (put some
    nail varnish on the threads), volatile memory (I backup my RAM to an SD
    card), won't take a 2Gb SD card (no big deal).
    Mick
    PS I recommend the perspex T3 case sold on ebay. It makes a good job of
    protection and keeping the T3 pocketable.
    "Laser" wrote in message
    news:1168818169.272550.21400@a75g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
    >I can't be the only one believing that Tungsten T3 is the best handheld
    > ever made.
    > Any disagreeing?
    >
    > Design
    > ----------
    > It's slim, beautiful and compact with the adjustable screen. Fits
    > perfect in any pocket (even with a hardcase) .
    >
    > Hardware
    > --------------
    > Has everything one would need (except a WiFi standard but a WiFi card
    > works perfectly with it and really, who wants a VGA or even a 2-3 MB
    > camera on his/her Palm - most have it already on there mobile phone and
    > the pictures just by luck turns out well)
    >
    > The 400MHz processor still stands good in competetion.
    >
    > The voice button with a great microphone makes a perfect memo recorder
    > (why did they leave it out in the E-models??)
    >
    > The five way navigation is excellent.
    >
    > Screen is totally sufficient and shows good colours. One drawback
    > though - In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    > nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    > reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    > T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    > found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    > Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.
    >

    > Software
    > --------------
    > The T3 has the old OS v5.2.1, that I think is one of the best features
    > as you can use all your old applications with out any problems. I had
    > an E for a very short while and It hanged all the time when trying to
    > use my favourite applications. I sold it within 2 weeks.
    >
    > I leave out reviewing my favourite applications as it would take too
    > much space to list, but if anyone's interested tell me.
    >
    > Price
    > --------
    > Quite affordable. Today of course you can buy a handheld which is both
    > quicker and have more capacity but they are more expensive and bigger.
    > Better buy a small laptop instead.

  8. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Agreed. I owned 3 Palms before the T3, updating as each new model came out.
    When the successor to the T3 came out, I thought it was a step backwards and
    stopped updating. Instead, I bought 2 T3s as backups when they were being
    sold off cheap.
    Excellent as a PDA, excellent for GPS in my car (Tomtom) and walking/cycling
    (Fugawi), excellent for watching TV on the move (with Xvid and a 1Gb card I
    have 7 hours of TV).
    Snags: no Wifi (I have a Palm Wifi card), so-so battery life (I carry mains,
    car and battery chargers), the digitizer eventually goes wonky (I have
    learned how to replace it), the little screws on the side fall out (put some
    nail varnish on the threads), volatile memory (I backup my RAM to an SD
    card), won't take a 2Gb SD card (no big deal).
    Mick
    PS I recommend the perspex T3 case sold on ebay. It makes a good job of
    protection and keeping the T3 pocketable.
    > In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    > nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    > reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    > T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    > found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    > Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.

    There is an excellent app called FullPower which lowers the brightness and
    removes the battery low
    warnings giving a lot more useful battery life. Get it at:
    http://www.clickapps.com/moreinfo.ht...4&section=PALM
    Make sure you have your data backed up if you use it. I find it a very
    useful way of extending battery life.
    Mick

  9. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Laser wrote:
    > I can't be the only one believing that Tungsten T3 is the best handheld
    > ever made. Any disagreeing?

    Yep, I do. The DIA implementation is full of bugs. It's next to impossible to
    program for it when it comes to the DIA. In the Tungsten series only the TC
    and the TX are any good although some of the supplied software in both are
    pretty bad, specifically, Blazer and VersaMail. /PaulN

  10. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    wrote:

    >Screen is totally sufficient and shows good colours. One drawback
    >though - In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    >nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    >reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    >T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    >found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    >Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.

    I use a program called SysNfo that I purchased from PalmPowerUps
    www.palmpowerups.com on my T|E. It allows me to brighten or darken my
    screen variably or by using presets. I highly recommend it. It only
    costs $5.95.

    DougInKY
    ---
    Nothing remains as constant as change.

  11. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    "Gil Baron" wrote in message
    Frank Markgraf wrote:
    >75. What I would like is the TX
    >functionality (with an additional microphone) combined with the sound
    >playback quality and the solid manufacturing quality of the Sony.

    >The Sony clie quality is rotten. Mine and friends batteries give out
    >quickly.
    >The basic font is unreadable with no contrast and too thin.
    >I will takethe TX any day.

    Not sure what Clie you're referring to, but I've have my TH-55 for nearly 3
    years and the battery is only now showing signs of the charge not lasting as
    long as it once did. No problems reading the font, and the size is fine.

    Mark

  12. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Doug in Kentucky wrote:

    >On 14 Jan 2007 15:42:49 -0800, "Laser"
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Screen is totally sufficient and shows good colours. One drawback
    >>though - In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    >>nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    >>reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    >>T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    >>found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    >>Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.

    >I use a program called SysNfo that I purchased from PalmPowerUps
    >www.palmpowerups.com on my T|E. It allows me to brighten or darken my
    >screen variably or by using presets. I highly recommend it. It only
    >costs $5.95.

    SilkDimmer.prc is a free dimmer that works well on my Tung E and likely it will
    work on the T3 as well. Won't hurt to try it. It won't work on the newer NVFS
    models though.

  13. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    AaronJ skrev:

    > Doug in Kentucky wrote:
    >
    > >On 14 Jan 2007 15:42:49 -0800, "Laser"
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>Screen is totally sufficient and shows good colours. One drawback
    > >>though - In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    > >>nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    > >>reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    > >>T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    > >>found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    > >>Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.

    > >I use a program called SysNfo that I purchased from PalmPowerUps
    > >www.palmpowerups.com on my T|E. It allows me to brighten or darken my
    > >screen variably or by using presets. I highly recommend it. It only
    > >costs $5.95.

    > SilkDimmer.prc is a free dimmer that works well on my Tung E and likely it will
    > work on the T3 as well. Won't hurt to try it. It won't work on the newer NVFS
    > models though.

    I never tried out the brightness control to any certain extent on the
    Tung E but the Silkdimmer you recomend doesn't give any advantage for
    the T3. It has the same limits of brightness as the the standard built
    in one has. Much better with the Energy Dimmer I have then. Even though
    it just uses the standard limits as well, you can have presets of
    different limits.

  14. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Mark B. skrev:

    > "Gil Baron" wrote in message
    > Frank Markgraf wrote:
    > >75. What I would like is the TX
    > >functionality (with an additional microphone) combined with the sound
    > >playback quality and the solid manufacturing quality of the Sony.

    > >The Sony clie quality is rotten. Mine and friends batteries give out
    > >quickly.
    > >The basic font is unreadable with no contrast and too thin.
    > >I will takethe TX any day.

    > Not sure what Clie you're referring to, but I've have my TH-55 for nearly 3
    > years and the battery is only now showing signs of the charge not lasting as
    > long as it once did. No problems reading the font, and the size is fine.
    >
    > Mark

    Please, keep out the Sony Clie discussions in this Subject.

  15. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    lsf_palm skrev:

    > I had a T|3 for more than two years. I'd agree that the T|3 was a very
    > capable handheld at the time - fast, great screen, universal connector
    >

    > I now have a TX and I must say that the only thing I miss from the T|3
    > is the form factor: the collapsible, aluminum body. If there were a
    > T|3 with non-volatile memory, built-in wifi, and long battery life, I'd
    > be interested.
    >
    > Laser wrote:
    > > I can't be the only one believing that Tungsten T3 is the best handheld
    > > ever made.
    > > Any disagreeing?

    Actually, one thing I missed to point out in the cons is the low
    battery life. But I just bought a cheap battery ($24 w shipping)
    through e-bay with 1180mAh SANYO (compared to original 900mAh), so
    quite an increase in life.

  16. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    lsf_palm skrev:

    > I had a T|3 for more than two years. I'd agree that the T|3 was a very
    > capable handheld at the time - fast, great screen, universal connector
    >

    > I now have a TX and I must say that the only thing I miss from the T|3
    > is the form factor: the collapsible, aluminum body. If there were a
    > T|3 with non-volatile memory, built-in wifi, and long battery life, I'd
    > be interested.
    >
    > Laser wrote:
    > > I can't be the only one believing that Tungsten T3 is the best handheld
    > > ever made.
    > > Any disagreeing?

    Actually, one thing I missed to point out in the cons is the low
    battery life. But I just bought a cheap battery ($24 w shipping)
    through e-bay with 1180mAh SANYO (compared to original 900mAh), so
    quite an increase in life.

  17. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    "Laser" wrote:

    >I never tried out the brightness control to any certain extent on the
    >Tung E

    On the TE SilkDimmer will go past the stops and turn off the backlight.

    >but the Silkdimmer you recomend doesn't give any advantage for
    >the T3.

    Sorry to hear that. It wouldn't work on my Z72 or TE2 either.

    >It has the same limits of brightness as the the standard built
    >in one has.

    Here are some more you might try:

    http://www.palmpowerups.com/modules....download&cid=2

  18. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    > battery life. But I just bought a cheap battery ($24 w shipping)
    > through e-bay with 1180mAh SANYO (compared to original 900mAh), so
    > quite an increase in life.

    Do you have a URL for that? I have never found a good replacement T3
    battery.
    Mick

  19. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Doug in Kentucky wrote:

    > On 14 Jan 2007 15:42:49 -0800, "Laser"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Screen is totally sufficient and shows good colours. One drawback
    >>though - In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    >>nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    >>reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    >>T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    >>found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    >>Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.

    > I use a program called SysNfo that I purchased from PalmPowerUps
    > www.palmpowerups.com on my T|E. It allows me to brighten or darken my
    > screen variably or by using presets. I highly recommend it. It only
    > costs $5.95.

    Thanks for that. I have the exact same problem as the OP. Because of the
    brightness of the T3 I can't read in bed like I did with my M500 either.
    Weird coincidence.

    --
    -----> http://members.dodo.com.au/~izabelli...tan/index.html <-----
    ===== It's not pretty, it's not great, but it is mine. =====

  20. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    ziz wrote:
    > > battery life. But I just bought a cheap battery ($24 w shipping)
    > > through e-bay with 1180mAh SANYO (compared to original 900mAh), so
    > > quite an increase in life.

    > Do you have a URL for that? I have never found a good replacement T3
    > battery.
    > Mick

    Here's the URL to Vincent's Cameras+Computers at Ebay, there you can
    find the battery. I saw that it's still as cheap as when I bought it.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Vincents-Cameras-Computers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast