T3 - the best handheld ever made - Palmtop

This is a discussion on T3 - the best handheld ever made - Palmtop ; ziz wrote: > Agreed. I owned 3 Palms before the T3, updating as each new model came out. > When the successor to the T3 came out, I thought it was a step backwards and > stopped updating. Instead, I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 38 of 38

  1. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    ziz wrote:
    > Agreed. I owned 3 Palms before the T3, updating as each new model came out.
    > When the successor to the T3 came out, I thought it was a step backwards and
    > stopped updating. Instead, I bought 2 T3s as backups when they were being
    > sold off cheap.

    Good idea. I think I'll do the same. How may times haven't you thought
    that when your favourite jeans or something else is worn out/broken why
    didn't you buy one more of them...

    > Excellent as a PDA, excellent for GPS in my car (Tomtom) and walking/cycling
    > (Fugawi), excellent for watching TV on the move (with Xvid and a 1Gb card I
    > have 7 hours of TV).

    I use Mapopolis in T3 with my GPS. Haven't tried TomTom with T3 but
    Mapopolis is "clean" and efficient.

    > Snags: no Wifi (I have a Palm Wifi card), so-so battery life (I carry mains,
    > car and battery chargers), the digitizer eventually goes wonky (I have
    > learned how to replace it), the little screws on the side fall out (put some
    > nail varnish on the threads),

    I bought really cheap screws on internet with low ship cost. They were
    delivered as promised and very fast:
    Carmine Castiglia - http://www.infosystemspro.com/

    >volatile memory (I backup my RAM to an SD
    > card), won't take a 2Gb SD card (no big deal).

    Something I've really been looking for is an app that, like Jack Flash,
    can store .prc's in the ROM of T3. Jack Flash worked great in my former
    M500 but I don't know if it works good in T3.
    Anyone knows please tell!!

    > Mick
    > PS I recommend the perspex T3 case sold on ebay. It makes a good job of
    > protection and keeping the T3 pocketable.
    > > In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    > > nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    > > reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    > > T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    > > found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    > > Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.

    > There is an excellent app called FullPower which lowers the brightness and
    > removes the battery low
    > warnings giving a lot more useful battery life. Get it at:
    > http://www.clickapps.com/moreinfo.ht...4&section=PALM
    > Make sure you have your data backed up if you use it. I find it a very
    > useful way of extending battery life.
    > Mick

    Thanks for the tip for the FullPower app. I use it now. I notice that I
    can dim a bit more and even to zero. Shame you can't you can't go all
    the way down gradually to zero.

  2. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    > I use Mapopolis in T3 with my GPS. Haven't tried TomTom with T3 but
    > Mapopolis is "clean" and efficient.

    I used to use Mapopolis which is OK, but I found Tomtom much much better
    > Something I've really been looking for is an app that, like Jack Flash,
    > can store .prc's in the ROM of T3. Jack Flash worked great in my former
    > M500 but I don't know if it works good in T3.
    > Anyone knows please tell!!

    There are a number of backup applications which all seem to work pretty
    well. I am currently using CardBackup, but I have heard that the recently
    released RescoBackup is also worth a look. I backup my data several times a
    day. I hate losing data, it is like losing part of my brain
    Mick

  3. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    ziz skrev:

    > > I use Mapopolis in T3 with my GPS. Haven't tried TomTom with T3 but
    > > Mapopolis is "clean" and efficient.

    > I used to use Mapopolis which is OK, but I found Tomtom much much better
    > > Something I've really been looking for is an app that, like Jack Flash,
    > > can store .prc's in the ROM of T3. Jack Flash worked great in my former
    > > M500 but I don't know if it works good in T3.
    > > Anyone knows please tell!!

    > There are a number of backup applications which all seem to work pretty
    > well. I am currently using CardBackup, but I have heard that the recently
    > released RescoBackup is also worth a look. I backup my data several times a
    > day. I hate losing data, it is like losing part of my brain
    > Mick

    Yes, I can really recomend RescoBackup. It's the best I've tried out.
    Every time it f*cks up I can easily and perfectly (never had a problem
    so far) and quickly as well restore my Palm as it was before the
    problem occured (as I try out new apps quite often it happens once in a
    while...
    It's very stable and you can have different scheme backups and decide
    what to exclude and include.

    I think you misunderstood me regarding Jack Flash. I want an
    application so that I can move/flash programs into ROM so that I can
    have more space in RAM. As well, it would be much quicker than running
    them from the card.
    Do you know any?

  4. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Sorry, I misunderstood. I don't know of anything. Even though I have loads
    of programs on my T3, I have only filled 50% of RAM.
    Mick
    "Laser" wrote in message
    news:1169567811.810257.236810@s48g2000cws.googlegr oups.com...

    > ziz skrev:
    >
    >> > I use Mapopolis in T3 with my GPS. Haven't tried TomTom with T3 but
    >> > Mapopolis is "clean" and efficient.

    >> I used to use Mapopolis which is OK, but I found Tomtom much much better
    >> > Something I've really been looking for is an app that, like Jack Flash,
    >> > can store .prc's in the ROM of T3. Jack Flash worked great in my former
    >> > M500 but I don't know if it works good in T3.
    >> > Anyone knows please tell!!

    >> There are a number of backup applications which all seem to work pretty
    >> well. I am currently using CardBackup, but I have heard that the recently
    >> released RescoBackup is also worth a look. I backup my data several times
    >> day. I hate losing data, it is like losing part of my brain
    >> Mick

    > Yes, I can really recomend RescoBackup. It's the best I've tried out.
    > Every time it f*cks up I can easily and perfectly (never had a problem
    > so far) and quickly as well restore my Palm as it was before the
    > problem occured (as I try out new apps quite often it happens once in a
    > while...
    > It's very stable and you can have different scheme backups and decide
    > what to exclude and include.
    >
    > I think you misunderstood me regarding Jack Flash. I want an
    > application so that I can move/flash programs into ROM so that I can
    > have more space in RAM. As well, it would be much quicker than running
    > them from the card.
    > Do you know any?

  5. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Obviously you got one that didn't develop screen creep. If you had you
    would think much less of it.

    The battery is ok, but not great.

    No wifi sucks, although the sd card version of this worked fairly well.

    Loved the size and screen mostly. Hated the slider. Almost never
    opened it because the screen creep required the thing to be
    recalibrated for use in the open position.

    My TX is a much better device - the only area it lacks in is speed, in
    which the T3 rules.

    --
    -----------------------------
    I only talk like that in the movies

  6. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:38:21 -0600, Yoda wrote
    (in article <2007012317382116807-yoda@Dagobahnet>):

    > My TX is a much better device - the only area it lacks in is speed, in
    > which the T3 rules.

    ALL the current Palms - at least the advanced models - suffer from this, not
    so much because of slow processors but because Palm engineers got
    cerebralretctalitus, and refused to acknowledge the fact that all computer
    makers recognise in that the ratio of virtual:real memory should be no more
    than 1.5:1.

    Better yet, use all real memory and if you must have non-volatile memory,
    back it up during idle time or power-off by using a "dirty page" algorithm.
    On power-on, real memory could be "paged in" on demand from non-volatile.

    Two particularly bad ideas exemplified by the Lifedrive are a hard drive
    (which of course has moving parts) and the cheese-grater chassis (which might
    be good for a desktop Mac but makes a PDA susceptible to moisture invasion.
    Both these factors are practically guaranteed to bring a PDA a premature
    demise given the device's mission environment.

  7. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    > Obviously you got one that didn't develop screen creep. If you had you
    > would think much less of it.

    I have, so far, had a digitizer problem on two Vx, a Tungsten T and a T3. I
    assume it is a design problem which Palm have never cracked.
    I have learned how to replace the digitizer myself. It takes about 15
    minutes and no special skill is required.
    Mick

  8. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    In article <0001HW.C1DC34B200056941F0203648@news.giganews.com>,
    Verne Arase wrote:
    >Both these factors are practically guaranteed to bring a PDA
    >a premature demise given the device's mission environment.

    Why is a hard drive such a liability? I have an old Inspiron
    that I've dragged around for years with considerably less care than
    I grant my PDA and it's never needed any kind of service...

  9. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    On Jan 14, 6:42 pm, "Laser" wrote:
    > I can't be the only one believing that Tungsten T3 is the best handheld
    > ever made.
    > Any disagreeing?

    Of the three or four I owned before it, it was the only one to become a
    serious problem because of the battery. Replacing the battery wasn't a
    simple issue for those of us who don't do hardware. Its still working,
    I hated to replace it, but it became so unreliable with crashes etc.
    (the same set of apps before it became seriously unstable) and the
    chargers I bought weren't reliable either, that I had to bit the
    bullet. Having some problems with the TX but its okay. I miss the
    slider a lot, I used it a lot, but happy to have reliability back.

    bliss

  10. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    In message wrat@panix.com (the wharf
    rat) wrote:

    >In article <0001HW.C1DC34B200056941F0203648@news.giganews.com>,
    >Verne Arase wrote:
    >>Both these factors are practically guaranteed to bring a PDA
    >>a premature demise given the device's mission environment.
    >>

    > Why is a hard drive such a liability? I have an old Inspiron
    >that I've dragged around for years with considerably less care than
    >I grant my PDA and it's never needed any kind of service...

    Because your average PDA puts up with a lot more abuse then most
    laptops. Should you carry it in a pocket and it gets a small tap as you
    bump into something while the LiveDrive is powered up in your pocket to
    do some routine house-cleaning (various apps do it), that could be the
    end of the drive.

    Given the pricing of 4GB flash drives, I'm surprised they haven't
    released a similar beast using an internal CF card (which would likely
    not require any software changes)

    --
    If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
    what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?

  11. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 03:12:54 -0600, the wharf rat wrote
    (in article ):

    > Why is a hard drive such a liability? I have an old Inspiron
    > that I've dragged around for years with considerably less care than
    > I grant my PDA and it's never needed any kind of service...

    Hard drives are not great at withstanding shock - and let's face it, we all
    drop a PDA from time to time - and PDAs normally live in a pocket where
    perspiration and other moisture can invade the chassis and possibly condense
    on the interior.

  12. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    DevilsPGD wrote:
    > In message wrat@panix.com (the wharf
    > rat) wrote:
    >

    >>In article <0001HW.C1DC34B200056941F0203648@news.giganews.com>,
    >>Verne Arase wrote:
    >>
    >>>Both these factors are practically guaranteed to bring a PDA
    >>>a premature demise given the device's mission environment.
    >>>

    >> Why is a hard drive such a liability? I have an old Inspiron
    >>that I've dragged around for years with considerably less care than
    >>I grant my PDA and it's never needed any kind of service...

    > Because your average PDA puts up with a lot more abuse then most
    > laptops. Should you carry it in a pocket and it gets a small tap as you
    > bump into something while the LiveDrive is powered up in your pocket to
    > do some routine house-cleaning (various apps do it), that could be the
    > end of the drive.
    >
    > Given the pricing of 4GB flash drives, I'm surprised they haven't
    > released a similar beast using an internal CF card (which would likely
    > not require any software changes)

    As I have mentioned in another thread, there is a howto on one of the
    web fora like Brighthand or somesuch on how to replace the Microdrive
    with a CF card, with the expected benefits of quicker I/O, robustness,
    and quietness. There was a counter-intuitive aspect of somewhat poorer
    battery life and/or more heat, or something along those lines, but not
    remembering now just what the issue was. It seemed the effort was still
    more pro than con...

    The "trick" is to image a 4GB CF card (cannot vary the size as I recall,
    and I believe there was a growing list of CF cards that worked and those
    that did not), from a good MicroDrive to get it to bootup the LD. There
    were several techniques I believe (one being good ol "dd" with Linux ;-).

    I will definitely re-visit those how-to's when my Zire 72 bites the dust
    if there is not something clearly better when that inevitable event
    comes to pass ;-}

    HTH,
    ROC

  13. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    > Of the three or four I owned before it, it was the only one to become a
    > serious problem because of the battery. Replacing the battery wasn't a
    > simple issue for those of us who don't do hardware.

    Replacing the battery is not difficult. Replacement batteries are cheap on
    Ebay and only a few simple tools are needed. The process takes about 15
    minutes and no special skills are required ie. no soldering etc.
    I recognise if you don't do hardware then it would be too much, but I intend
    to keep my T3 going. To do that, you have to learn how to replace batteries
    and (occasionally) digitizers.
    Mick

  14. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    I well agree! Mine goes everywhere with me: work, home and play.

    --ryan

    On Jan 14, 6:42 pm, "Laser" wrote:
    > I can't be the only one believing that Tungsten T3 is the best handheld
    > ever made.
    > Any disagreeing?
    >
    > Design
    > ----------
    > It's slim, beautiful and compact with the adjustable screen. Fits
    > perfect in any pocket (even with a hardcase) .
    >
    > Hardware
    > --------------
    > Has everything one would need (except a WiFi standard but a WiFi card
    > works perfectly with it and really, who wants a VGA or even a 2-3 MB
    > camera on his/her Palm - most have it already on there mobile phone and
    > the pictures just by luck turns out well)
    >
    > The 400MHz processor still stands good in competetion.
    >
    > The voice button with a great microphone makes a perfect memo recorder
    > (why did they leave it out in the E-models??)
    >
    > The five way navigation is excellent.
    >
    > Screen is totally sufficient and shows good colours. One drawback
    > though - In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    > nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    > reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    > T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    > found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    > Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.
    >
    > Software
    > --------------
    > The T3 has the old OS v5.2.1, that I think is one of the best features
    > as you can use all your old applications with out any problems. I had
    > an E for a very short while and It hanged all the time when trying to
    > use my favourite applications. I sold it within 2 weeks.
    >
    > I leave out reviewing my favourite applications as it would take too
    > much space to list, but if anyone's interested tell me.
    >
    > Price
    > --------
    > Quite affordable. Today of course you can buy a handheld which is both
    > quicker and have more capacity but they are more expensive and bigger.
    > Better buy a small laptop instead.

  15. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Laser wrote:

    > [....] One drawback
    > though - In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    > nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    > reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    > T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    > found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    > Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.

    Actually, there is such app: brightness fix from palmpowerups and you can
    reach it there:

    http://www.palmpowerups.com/modules....details&lid=16

    It works on my T3 and due to a bug that unexpectedly turned to be a sort of
    feature[*], I can even turn the backlit off - not something impressive as
    the screen is hardly readable even in direct sunlight.

    Best regards.
    [*] I have notified about it but Dmitry decided to ignore me. Oh well...
    --
    Grzegorz Nowakowski

  16. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    On Jan 26, 3:45 pm, Grzegorz Nowakowski wrote:
    > Laser wrote:
    > > [....] One drawback
    > > though - In my former M500 I could have it the brightness close to
    > > nothing (with an application like Energy Dimmer) which is perfect while
    > > reading in bed not disturbing anyone and also for battery power. In the
    > > T3 the lowest lighting possible to reach is not very dim. I haven't
    > > found any application that can dim down lower than what you can do with
    > > Palm's own brightness adjuster. Please, tell me if anyone knows better.Actually, there is such app: brightness fix from palmpowerups and you can

    > reach it there:
    >
    > http://www.palmpowerups.com/modules....d_op=viewdownl...
    >
    > It works on my T3 and due to a bug that unexpectedly turned to be a sort of
    > feature[*], I can even turn the backlit off - not something impressive as
    > the screen is hardly readable even in direct sunlight.
    >
    > Best regards.
    >
    >[*] I have notified about it but Dmitry decided to ignore me. Oh well...
    > --
    > Grzegorz Nowakowski

    I notice that this thread is starting to become too large. I've had
    this tip three times now and I've installed this app to much delight.
    One drawback still though. On the M500 I could dim it down gradually
    all the way to zero but on the T3 there's still a quite big step
    between min and zero.

  17. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    Laser wrote:

    > I notice that this thread is starting to become too large. I've had
    > this tip three times now and I've installed this app to much delight.
    > One drawback still though. On the M500 I could dim it down gradually
    > all the way to zero but on the T3 there's still a quite big step
    > between min and zero.

    Let me describe this bug I'm referring to. When having brightnessFix
    installed, the normal system brightness slider works weird: it looks like
    it's control range is shifted. At position about 25% from the left there
    is zero (no light). Right from there brightness gradually increases (and
    at position 100% you have about 75% output) and brightest settings are
    yielded when setting slider 0% to 24%. And frankly I wouldn't call it big
    step between dimmest light and no light - only when using PDA in total
    darkness. Just in about any ambient light that setting is too dim for me.

    I repeat, I do that with system slider (that one you get when tapping status
    bar). I just install brightnessFix, run it only once to get hooks hooked
    and don't touch it again. Or maybe I have strange device version which
    causes such behavior. Hard to say.

    Best regards.
    --
    Grzegorz Nowakowski

  18. Re: T3 - the best handheld ever made

    On Jan 26, 4:31 pm, Grzegorz Nowakowski wrote:
    > Laser wrote:
    > > I notice that this thread is starting to become too large. I've had
    > > this tip three times now and I've installed this app to much delight.
    > > One drawback still though. On the M500 I could dim it down gradually
    > > all the way to zero but on the T3 there's still a quite big step
    > > between min and zero.Let me describe this bug I'm referring to. When having brightnessFix

    > installed, the normal system brightness slider works weird: it looks like
    > it's control range is shifted. At position about 25% from the left there
    > is zero (no light). Right from there brightness gradually increases (and
    > at position 100% you have about 75% output) and brightest settings are
    > yielded when setting slider 0% to 24%. And frankly I wouldn't call it big
    > step between dimmest light and no light - only when using PDA in total
    > darkness. Just in about any ambient light that setting is too dim for me.
    >
    > I repeat, I do that with system slider (that one you get when tapping status
    > bar). I just install brightnessFix, run it only once to get hooks hooked
    > and don't touch it again. Or maybe I have strange device version which
    > causes such behavior. Hard to say.
    >
    > Best regards.
    > --
    > Grzegorz Nowakowski

    Well, it's in complete darkness I want to have it as dim as possible so
    that I don't disturbe my wife
    So then you'll notice this and feel that it's a shame that you can't
    dim it lower. I haven't found any application that can go lower.

    /L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2