Deleting books from the Palm Reader? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Deleting books from the Palm Reader? - Palmtop ; I have a very old palm pilot, i705, and a very old version of the desktop software, 4.1. I figured out how to create and import the files the PalmReader reads and imported a couple of books. The problem now ...

  1. Deleting books from the Palm Reader?

    I have a very old palm pilot, i705, and a very old version of the
    desktop software, 4.1.

    I figured out how to create and import the files the PalmReader reads
    and imported a couple of books. The problem now though is I can't
    figure out a way to get rid of ones I am done with.

    I searched usenet archives through Google groups, and didn't see
    anybody who seemed to have the same problem. It looks like though
    from other people talking about deleting PalmReader books that you
    delete files from within the PalmReader application on the Palm Pilot.
    I don't see that option anywhere though, the buttons on the bottom are
    Open, Info and Cancel. There is a menu option "delete cache" but if I
    select that it tells me "you have no cards installed", which
    undoubtedly means something to it.

    I have tried deleting the .pdb files (filename.pdb and filenameKx.pdb)
    from the Palm directory on my computer, but the next time I hotsynch
    they reappear, I guess transferred out of the palm.

    Does anybody know anything I am missing? Is there a setting somewhere
    that would allow me to delete the files out of the palm reader? Or a
    setting to tell the hotsynch to delete the file from the palm pilot?
    Is there a simple way to just view files directly on the palm pilot
    that anybody know of (preferably without installing a lot of
    third-party software)?

    Anyway I know it is an old model and old software, I would really
    rather not upgrade if I can help it for a number of reasons, but I may
    just be out of luck here.

    --
    Joe Cosby
    http://joecosby.com/

  2. Re: Deleting books from the Palm Reader?

    In article ,
    Zapanaz wrote:

    > I figured out how to create and import the files the PalmReader reads
    > and imported a couple of books. The problem now though is I can't
    > figure out a way to get rid of ones I am done with.

    This is, IMHO, a classic example of bad UI design. Here's what you do:

    1) Open the book which you wish to delete (as if to read it)
    2) Click on the Menu icon
    3) In the "Book" menu is a "Delete..." selection; click it
    4) This takes you back to the book list(!), which now has a Delete
    button replacing the Open button.

    Intuitive, no :-P

    Cheers!
    -Dave

    --
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
    It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

  3. Re: Deleting books from the Palm Reader?

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:55:22 -0700, David Emme
    wrote:

    >In article ,
    > Zapanaz wrote:
    >
    >> I figured out how to create and import the files the PalmReader reads
    >> and imported a couple of books. The problem now though is I can't
    >> figure out a way to get rid of ones I am done with.

    >This is, IMHO, a classic example of bad UI design. Here's what you do:
    >
    >1) Open the book which you wish to delete (as if to read it)
    >2) Click on the Menu icon
    >3) In the "Book" menu is a "Delete..." selection; click it
    >4) This takes you back to the book list(!), which now has a Delete
    >button replacing the Open button.
    >
    >Intuitive, no :-P
    >
    >Cheers!
    >-Dave

    my god

    Many thanks, I spent hours trying to figure that out.
    Object-oriented-programming on mescaline.

    --
    Joe Cosby
    http://joecosby.com/

    - Kurt Stocklmeir