Is this a corrupted contacts database? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Is this a corrupted contacts database? - Palmtop ; After sending my Palm TX in for repairs, I tried to restore it and it keeps hanging on "Synchronizing Contacts" After a lot of dinking around which involved resetting the Palm and a series of incremental restores, I finally restored ...

  1. Is this a corrupted contacts database?

    After sending my Palm TX in for repairs, I tried to restore it and it keeps
    hanging on "Synchronizing Contacts" After a lot of dinking around which
    involved resetting the Palm and a series of incremental restores, I finally
    restored my Palm to it's original state.

    The problem is that it still hangs when I try to sync my XP machine with it.
    Once I was able to get my PDA up and running, I even wiped the Palm desktop
    off my machine (after backing it up) and tried syncing with a clean desktop
    install. Again, the PDA is functioning optimally other than with the
    syncing. Backup Buddy works fine when backing up to and restoring from the
    card,
    but somehow there must be a problem with the contacts database. Is
    there a way to fix this?

  2. Re: Is this a corrupted contacts database?

    Bill Farina wrote:
    > After sending my Palm TX in for repairs, I tried to restore it and it keeps
    > hanging on "Synchronizing Contacts" After a lot of dinking around which
    > involved resetting the Palm and a series of incremental restores, I finally
    > restored my Palm to it's original state.
    >
    > The problem is that it still hangs when I try to sync my XP machine with it.
    > Once I was able to get my PDA up and running, I even wiped the Palm desktop
    > off my machine (after backing it up) and tried syncing with a clean desktop
    > install. Again, the PDA is functioning optimally other than with the
    > syncing. Backup Buddy works fine when backing up to and restoring from the
    > card,
    > but somehow there must be a problem with the contacts database. Is
    > there a way to fix this?

    You need to get rid of ALL the Palm files and this will help you out.

    I got this from Palm Customer support when I was having syncing
    problems last month. Oddly enough it was right after I installed the
    newest version of the desktop...
    Back up your Palm folder and uninstall the Palm Desktop.

    To effectively completely uninstall the Palm Desktop software from your
    system, you will need to remove all registry entries created by Palm
    Desktop upon its installation. You will need a small utility from
    Microsoft, called the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

    Please follow the steps provided below.

    1. Go to Microsoft Web Support Article 290301 by clicking on this
    link:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    2. From this support link, download the Windows Installer CleanUp
    Utility to your desktop computer.
    3. Run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility file you downloaded.
    4. The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will create a folder here:

    C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up
    5. Open the folder. You will find an application called Msicuu.exe.
    6. Run the Msicuu.exe application.
    7. You will see window listing various third-party applications.
    8. Select Palm Desktop in the window and click on REMOVE.
    9. The Utility will remove all the registry entries of Palm Desktop
    from your desktop computer.
    10. Restart your desktop computer. We can now delete all Palm files.
    Please follow the process.

    1. Click START in the Windows Task bar, by default along the bottom of
    the screen
    2. Select Find or Search, then "Files and Folders"
    3. In the Named window, type in "palm.*", click 'Find Now' or 'Search
    Now'
    4. Delete any files that find (with the exception of Internet
    shortcuts) Remember to restart your computer to ensure that the changes
    take effect. You may reinstall Palm Desktop after restarting your
    computer.

    HTH
    bj

+ Reply to Thread