GSM, Treo 650 & e-mail - Palmtop

This is a discussion on GSM, Treo 650 & e-mail - Palmtop ; I've been told that it should be possible to connect to the internet and get down your e-mail from a pop account even if I don't subscribe to EDGE. This I have been told by the company hosting my mail ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: GSM, Treo 650 & e-mail

  1. GSM, Treo 650 & e-mail

    I've been told that it should be possible to connect to the internet and
    get down your e-mail from a pop account even if I don't subscribe to
    EDGE. This I have been told by the company hosting my mail hotel, and I
    was told the same when I called my mobile phone company.

    Unfortunately, this mobile phone couldn't help me setting the Treo up
    the right way, and if I choose 'Get' from within the VersaMail
    application it just says 'Unable to Establish PPP Connection'.

    I have already set up the POP account in the same way it is set up in
    Entourage on my Mac.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  2. Re: GSM, Treo 650 & e-mail

    It is alleged that Per Rønne claimed:

    > I've been told that it should be possible to connect to the internet and
    > get down your e-mail from a pop account even if I don't subscribe to
    > EDGE. This I have been told by the company hosting my mail hotel, and I
    > was told the same when I called my mobile phone company.
    >
    > Unfortunately, this mobile phone couldn't help me setting the Treo up
    > the right way, and if I choose 'Get' from within the VersaMail
    > application it just says 'Unable to Establish PPP Connection'.
    >
    > I have already set up the POP account in the same way it is set up in
    > Entourage on my Mac.


    What about your network setup in Preferences \ Network ?

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol

    DISCLAIMER: Do not tease, feed, or otherwise provoke.

  3. Re: GSM, Treo 650 & e-mail

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > It is alleged that Per Rønne claimed:
    >
    > > I've been told that it should be possible to connect to the internet and
    > > get down your e-mail from a pop account even if I don't subscribe to
    > > EDGE. This I have been told by the company hosting my mail hotel, and I
    > > was told the same when I called my mobile phone company.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, this mobile phone couldn't help me setting the Treo up
    > > the right way, and if I choose 'Get' from within the VersaMail
    > > application it just says 'Unable to Establish PPP Connection'.
    > >
    > > I have already set up the POP account in the same way it is set up in
    > > Entourage on my Mac.

    >
    > What about your network setup in Preferences \ Network ?


    Thank you - I didn't even know its existence.

    I'll have to call my telephone company monday [it is 23:44 o'clock]. I
    now know how to set it up - I just need a userid/passwd + telephone
    number.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  4. Re: GSM, Treo 650 & e-mail

    It is alleged that Per Rønne claimed:

    > > What about your network setup in Preferences \ Network ?

    >
    > Thank you - I didn't even know its existence.
    >
    > I'll have to call my telephone company monday [it is 23:44 o'clock]. I
    > now know how to set it up - I just need a userid/passwd + telephone
    > number.


    You don't need a phone number, you're not going to be making phone
    calls for data. It's more like your cable/dsl modem connection - turn
    it on and you're online.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol

    "I will vouch for his character! I saw the entire thing! Because I
    was there, I was in it! I was... and they made a very agreeable thump.
    Or did I mention that?" (G'Kar, B5 "A Late Delivery From Avalon")

  5. Re: GSM, Treo 650 & e-mail

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > It is alleged that Per Rønne claimed:
    >
    > > > What about your network setup in Preferences \ Network ?

    > >
    > > Thank you - I didn't even know its existence.
    > >
    > > I'll have to call my telephone company monday [it is 23:44 o'clock]. I
    > > now know how to set it up - I just need a userid/passwd + telephone
    > > number.

    >
    > You don't need a phone number, you're not going to be making phone
    > calls for data. It's more like your cable/dsl modem connection - turn
    > it on and you're online.


    It seems to depend on whether you choose GPRS, ISDN or Wireless dial-up
    in the Preferences->Network. I'll simply have to wait with that until
    I've spoken with my mobile phone company. It is even possible to connect
    to my wireless LAN when I'm home, it seems. And to bluetooth computers.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  6. Re: GSM, Treo 650 & e-mail

    It is alleged that Per Rønne claimed:

    > It seems to depend on whether you choose GPRS, ISDN or Wireless dial-up
    > in the Preferences->Network. I'll simply have to wait with that until
    > I've spoken with my mobile phone company. It is even possible to connect
    > to my wireless LAN when I'm home, it seems. And to bluetooth computers.


    The 650 cannot connect to a wireless LAN. The 650 does not have WiFi.
    It can connect to data via the cellular network, or if you have a BT
    enabled computer, you can probably use a BT based PAN, though the usual
    use is the other way - using BT to connect the Treo as a modem for the
    computer.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #90. If a mystic proclaims that my
    destiny is to "defeat the darkness," "bring freedom to the
    downtrodden," or some such other glorious accomplishment, I will
    immediately begin preparations for the role. I will not wait for the
    mystic and several other innocents to get rubbed out by the Evil
    Overlord.

  7. Re: GSM, Treo 650 & e-mail

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > It is alleged that Per Rønne claimed:
    >
    > > It seems to depend on whether you choose GPRS, ISDN or Wireless dial-up
    > > in the Preferences->Network. I'll simply have to wait with that until
    > > I've spoken with my mobile phone company. It is even possible to connect
    > > to my wireless LAN when I'm home, it seems. And to bluetooth computers.

    >
    > The 650 cannot connect to a wireless LAN. The 650 does not have WiFi.
    > It can connect to data via the cellular network, or if you have a BT
    > enabled computer, you can probably use a BT based PAN, though the usual
    > use is the other way - using BT to connect the Treo as a modem for the
    > computer.


    I have connected to a computer with BT in order to do the first
    synchronization. The sync cables that came with the Treo were defect.

    Now, I have purchased a cradle - and three stylos [they were missing
    too].

    But it seems I will stick with GPRS [in reality EDGE] for access to the
    internet. I just need to get userid/password and to know the necessary
    APN.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

+ Reply to Thread