Treo 650 - Can't remove GoodLink - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Treo 650 - Can't remove GoodLink - Palmtop ; Hello, I installed GoodLink on my Treo 650 to access an Exchange email account. For a number of reasons I decided I wasn't interested in using the software - including the programmed necessity that I password protect my Treo. (Every ...

  1. Treo 650 - Can't remove GoodLink

    Hello,

    I installed GoodLink on my Treo 650 to access an Exchange email
    account.

    For a number of reasons I decided I wasn't interested in using the
    software - including the programmed necessity that I password
    protect my Treo. (Every hour my Treo would lock itself, there is no
    option to not have a password.)

    So I followed the directions at
    and deleted the GoodLink software.

    After a soft reset, I noticed the GdInstall program was still there.
    Manually deleted it.

    An hour later, I was prompted to password protect the Treo. It no
    longer *required* me to have a password, but the prompt to do it
    still came up.

    Tried a hard reset of the Treo. GdInstall showed up again. An hour
    later, a prompt to Password protect.

    Clearly GoodLink is hiding somewhere (in ROM?) and is not being
    totally removed like it should be. While I'm no longer required to
    have a Password, the hourly prompt to create one is just as
    annoying. And every time I do a soft or hard reset, GdInstall
    reappears.

    A cursory search with FileZ doesn't show any recognizable hidden
    files.

    How do completely eliminate GoodLink and/or stop the Treo from
    prompting me to create a password?

    Running Palm OS Garnet 5.4.8 on the Sprint PCS network.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Treo 650 - Can't remove GoodLink

    It is alleged that Adam Bailey claimed:

    > So I followed the directions at
    > and deleted the GoodLink software.
    >
    > After a soft reset, I noticed the GdInstall program was still there.
    > Manually deleted it.
    >
    > An hour later, I was prompted to password protect the Treo. It no
    > longer *required* me to have a password, but the prompt to do it
    > still came up.
    >
    > Tried a hard reset of the Treo. GdInstall showed up again. An hour
    > later, a prompt to Password protect.
    >
    > Clearly GoodLink is hiding somewhere (in ROM?) and is not being
    > totally removed like it should be. While I'm no longer required to
    > have a Password, the hourly prompt to create one is just as
    > annoying. And every time I do a soft or hard reset, GdInstall
    > reappears.

    "GetGood", the installer, does indeed live in ROM. At least, it did on
    my Cingular 650.

    > How do completely eliminate GoodLink and/or stop the Treo from
    > prompting me to create a password?

    After the hard reset, how did you restore? From a backup, or did you
    reinstall everything? If from a backup, check it to see if it has any
    of the Good config or program files remaining and remove them, then do
    a hard reset again.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    DISCLAIMER: Do not tease, feed, or otherwise provoke.

  3. Re: Treo 650 - Can't remove GoodLink

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > After the hard reset, how did you restore? From a backup, or did you
    > reinstall everything?

    I reinstalled everything from scratch, I did not restore from a backup.

  4. Re: Treo 650 - Can't remove GoodLink

    Adam Bailey wrote:
    > How do completely eliminate GoodLink and/or stop the Treo from
    > prompting me to create a password?

    I think I figured it out. There was a start.prc on my expansion card.
    I renamed that file (to be safe) and rebooted the Treo and so far no more
    prompts and no sign of the installer.

    --
    Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois
    adamb@lull.org | Finger/Web for PGP & S/MIME

  5. Re: Treo 650 - Can't remove GoodLink

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:53:17 +0000, Adam Bailey wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I installed GoodLink on my Treo 650 to access an Exchange email
    > account.
    >
    > For a number of reasons I decided I wasn't interested in using the
    > software - including the programmed necessity that I password
    > protect my Treo. (Every hour my Treo would lock itself, there is no
    > option to not have a password.)
    >
    > So I followed the directions at
    > and deleted the GoodLink software.
    >
    > After a soft reset, I noticed the GdInstall program was still there.
    > Manually deleted it.
    >
    > An hour later, I was prompted to password protect the Treo. It no
    > longer *required* me to have a password, but the prompt to do it
    > still came up.
    >
    > Tried a hard reset of the Treo. GdInstall showed up again. An hour
    > later, a prompt to Password protect.
    >
    > Clearly GoodLink is hiding somewhere (in ROM?) and is not being
    > totally removed like it should be. While I'm no longer required to
    > have a Password, the hourly prompt to create one is just as
    > annoying. And every time I do a soft or hard reset, GdInstall
    > reappears.
    >
    > A cursory search with FileZ doesn't show any recognizable hidden
    > files.
    >
    > How do completely eliminate GoodLink and/or stop the Treo from
    > prompting me to create a password?
    >
    > Running Palm OS Garnet 5.4.8 on the Sprint PCS network.
    >
    > Thanks!

    you also have to remove it from your computer or it will come back if you
    sync

    --
    gone in less than one second---------->>>>>>>>>>>>
    jjim..........registered linux user 281836

+ Reply to Thread