Apple iPhone Forum! - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Apple iPhone Forum! - Palmtop ; Can the iPhone become the PDA of the future? Check it out at http://www.iphoneforum.info...

  1. Apple iPhone Forum!

    Can the iPhone become the PDA of the future? Check it out at
    http://www.iphoneforum.info

  2. Re: Apple iPhone Forum!

    Hi,

    Eric Pratt wrote:
    > Can the iPhone become the PDA of the future? Check it out at
    > http://www.iphoneforum.info

    Can you please stop spamming? If I want information about the iPhone, I
    will google, thanks.

    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]

  3. Re: Apple iPhone Forum!

    Eric Pratt wrote:
    > Can the iPhone become the PDA of the future? Check it out at
    > http://www.iphoneforum.info

    The iPhone will be a huge step forward in the world of device
    convergence -- I've always loved the Mac OS. However, today I read a
    couple of articles focused on the potential negatives of the proposed
    iPhone -- things I didn't think about when i first looked at it last
    week. For instance: it's a locked system -- you can't add any software

    to it; the network is limited to a slow Cingular system which is much
    slower than broadband or other wireless networks; there has been no
    mention of it's ability (or lack thereof) to syncronize with Microsoft
    Outlook for contacts, calendar, etc.; and it is unclear whether it
    will have the ablilty to open, read, edit, create or save documents
    (Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, Powerpoints, etc.) Lots of unanswered
    questions that may limit it's appeal to business users who currently
    use Trios or Blackberrys -- an obvious target for the iPhone market.

  4. Re: Apple iPhone Forum!

    In article <1168881057.211155.143140@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    "mdspiro@gmail.com" wrote:

    > Eric Pratt wrote:
    > > Can the iPhone become the PDA of the future? Check it out at
    > > http://www.iphoneforum.info

    > The iPhone will be a huge step forward in the world of device
    > convergence -- I've always loved the Mac OS. However, today I read a
    > couple of articles focused on the potential negatives of the proposed
    > iPhone -- things I didn't think about when i first looked at it last
    > week. For instance: it's a locked system -- you can't add any software
    >
    > to it; the network is limited to a slow Cingular system which is much
    > slower than broadband or other wireless networks; there has been no
    > mention of it's ability (or lack thereof) to syncronize with Microsoft
    > Outlook for contacts, calendar, etc.; and it is unclear whether it
    > will have the ablilty to open, read, edit, create or save documents
    > (Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, Powerpoints, etc.) Lots of unanswered
    > questions that may limit it's appeal to business users who currently
    > use Trios or Blackberrys -- an obvious target for the iPhone market.

    There are people who have been bashing Apple since the '80s who also
    tout crippled Microsoft emulations, much like those who criticized Palm
    and touted MS mobile units, or iPods and touted Fair Play.

    Most of the "criticisms" you cite have explanations and, to some extent,
    seem to be half truths. For example, Apple has announced third parties
    will write software for the unit. Their closed system/approval process
    will ensure compatibility and their DRM.

    Cingular/AT&T have committed to upgrading their broadband and the
    "broadband" the initial phones will use will still get the job done.

    It is likely since Outlook is the standard that PC calendars must synch
    with that the iPhone will too (unless MS sabotages this in order to
    preserve their deficient market share).

    The one criticism that is valid is the Office application issue. Palm
    addressed this with DataViz' Documents To Go. Perhaps Apple is working
    with its old partner to use this solution. If it wasn't for MacLink, a
    lot of us old Apple folks would have had no way to communicate with PCs.
    I guess there is a small chance MS would come up with a solution.

    What I fear is that Jobs decides his iPhone doesn't do Office(s) and
    that music, email and the web are enough. It is not how most of us
    operate but that has not stopped Jobs from being wrong before.

    harlan

    --
    To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

  5. Re: Apple iPhone Forum!

    Harlan Lachman wrote:
    > There are people who have been bashing Apple since the '80s who also
    > tout crippled Microsoft emulations, much like those who criticized Palm
    > and touted MS mobile units, or iPods and touted Fair Play.
    > Most of the "criticisms" you cite have explanations and, to some extent,
    > seem to be half truths. For example, Apple has announced third parties
    > will write software for the unit. Their closed system/approval process
    > will ensure compatibility and their DRM.
    > Cingular/AT&T have committed to upgrading their broadband and the
    > "broadband" the initial phones will use will still get the job done.
    > It is likely since Outlook is the standard that PC calendars must synch
    > with that the iPhone will too (unless MS sabotages this in order to
    > preserve their deficient market share).
    > The one criticism that is valid is the Office application issue. Palm
    > addressed this with DataViz' Documents To Go. Perhaps Apple is working
    > with its old partner to use this solution. If it wasn't for MacLink, a
    > lot of us old Apple folks would have had no way to communicate with PCs.
    > I guess there is a small chance MS would come up with a solution.
    > What I fear is that Jobs decides his iPhone doesn't do Office(s) and
    > that music, email and the web are enough. It is not how most of us
    > operate but that has not stopped Jobs from being wrong before.

    You make some good points. I've been an Apple fan since the 80's
    myself, when I had a Classic II, and later an LC III. I was
    reluctantly forced into the world of MS Windows in the late 90's due to
    my job's corporate requirements, but I still follow Apple's new product
    developments with great interest, and still greatly admire the Mac OS
    and Apple's domination of the digital music world with iTunes and iPods
    -- both great examples of software and hardware done right.

    My current PDA is the Palm TX, which for me it a great device, although
    not "perfect". I have not wanted my PDA to also be a phone, but if it
    did I suppose I'd have a Treo -- also a great device, but not
    "perfect". Wouldn't it be great if they could somehow merge the
    features of the Palm TX with a Treo and come up with a device that had
    the best of both. THAT would be a device that could potentially
    compete with the Apple iPhone! A large-screen PDA that could play
    music & videos, with WiFi & Bluetooth, a decent camera, a microphone, a
    phone, email, plus a full web-browser that could operate over whatever
    network was available (WiFi where it's found, or a cellular broadband
    network where it's not). All that, plus the ability to download
    thousands of Palm programs, utilities and games, compatability with
    Microsoft Outlook and Office (using Datavix's Documents to Go) and
    unlimited storage on SD cards, and you have what could actually be the
    "perfect" device! Sure, the Mac OS is more elegant and user-friendly
    than Palm's OS ... but it also comes with limitations that may
    ultimately diminish it's appeal.

+ Reply to Thread