alternate to a case? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on alternate to a case? - Palmtop ; Hello! I just got a cingular treo 680 last night. It is about the size of a bar of soap and just as slippery. When I was reading the review on phonescoop.com, soemeone mentioned "grips" or some sort of rubbery ...

  1. alternate to a case?

    Hello! I just got a cingular treo 680 last night. It is about the size
    of a bar of soap and just as slippery. When I was reading the review on
    phonescoop.com, soemeone mentioned "grips" or some sort of rubbery
    cover as an alternate to a case for this palm. Does anyone know about
    it?

    Also, does a screen protector sheet interfere with the touch screen?

    Many thanks,
    dna

  2. Re: alternate to a case?

    In message <1168539714.941470.32500@i39g2000hsf.googlegroups.c om>
    "dnatoday" wrote:

    >Hello! I just got a cingular treo 680 last night. It is about the size
    >of a bar of soap and just as slippery. When I was reading the review on
    >phonescoop.com, soemeone mentioned "grips" or some sort of rubbery
    >cover as an alternate to a case for this palm. Does anyone know about
    >it?

    I picked up a silicone skin for my Vision:M MP3 player, it's actually
    pretty decent. I haven't tried one for my Treo yet, but I would if such
    a beast existed that didn't interfere with the cradle.

    >Also, does a screen protector sheet interfere with the touch screen?

    Good ones don't.

    --
    It's like the time that your cat snowball got run over.
    Remember honey? So what I'm saying is, all we have to

  3. Re: alternate to a case?

    It is alleged that dnatoday claimed:

    > Hello! I just got a cingular treo 680 last night. It is about the size
    > of a bar of soap and just as slippery. When I was reading the review on
    > phonescoop.com, soemeone mentioned "grips" or some sort of rubbery
    > cover as an alternate to a case for this palm. Does anyone know about
    > it?

    They were probably talking about "eGrips", www.egrips.com. I had them
    on my 650, and then I got a Palm Inc cradle... The 680 doesn't fit as
    tight as the 650 does, so maybe I'll give them another go, myself.

    > Also, does a screen protector sheet interfere with the touch screen?

    Like many things, "that depends". I was using the Palm branded screen
    protectors on my 650 and thought I was having no problems with them,
    but one particular game kept reading my taps wrong. Then I upgraded to
    the 680 and had not yet applied a screen protector and no problem at
    all. When I then applied one, that mis-read came back.

    BTW, if you think the 680 is slippy in your hand, you should try a 650
    some time. Either that, or the material on the Graphite coloring is
    different than on the Arctic coloring (mine's an unlocked 680, so I got
    a choice of colors... )

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Actually, I George W. Bush, this may sound a little West Texan to
    you, but I like it. When I'm talking about George W. Bush, when I'm
    talking about myself, and when he's talking about myself, all of us are
    talking about me." - George W. Bush, Hardball, MSNBC, May 31, 2000

  4. Re: alternate to a case?

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > I picked up a silicone skin for my Vision:M MP3 player, it's actually

    Where?

    > pretty decent. I haven't tried one for my Treo yet, but I would if such
    > a beast existed that didn't interfere with the cradle.

    Which Treo and which cradle? The 650 in the Palm cradle is a flush
    fit, but several of the third party cradles have room. And the 680 in
    the Palm cradle has room, at least along the back if not the sides.

    > >Also, does a screen protector sheet interfere with the touch screen?

    > Good ones don't.

    Realizing that this is like vi vs emacs, or Win vs Mac... which ones do
    you consider "good"? I used to like the ones I've got, but recently
    realized that they were indeed causing me a problem (see my reply to
    the OP).

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #30.
    All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly
    thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will
    surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic
    relief.

  5. Re: alternate to a case?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> I picked up a silicone skin for my Vision:M MP3 player, it's actually

    >Where?

    Best Buy, oddly enough.

    >> pretty decent. I haven't tried one for my Treo yet, but I would if such
    >> a beast existed that didn't interfere with the cradle.

    >Which Treo and which cradle? The 650 in the Palm cradle is a flush
    >fit, but several of the third party cradles have room. And the 680 in
    >the Palm cradle has room, at least along the back if not the sides.

    Treo 650 right now, 680 in a few days. Palm's standard cradle.

    >> >Also, does a screen protector sheet interfere with the touch screen?

    >> Good ones don't.

    >Realizing that this is like vi vs emacs, or Win vs Mac... which ones do
    >you consider "good"? I used to like the ones I've got, but recently
    >realized that they were indeed causing me a problem (see my reply to
    >the OP).

    Right now, I'm using JAVOScreen Anti-Glare -- Expensive, but from my
    experience it's the absolute best I've ever used.

  6. Re: alternate to a case?

    In message <68odq2h23i85vu5i714jfdp1curd5ub4a4@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >(mine's an unlocked 680, so I got
    >a choice of colors... )

    My original plan was to buy from Palm so I could have a choice in
    colours. Oddly enough the only one that appealed to me was graphite.

  7. Re: alternate to a case?

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >> pretty decent. I haven't tried one for my Treo yet, but I would if such
    > >> a beast existed that didn't interfere with the cradle.

    > >Which Treo and which cradle? The 650 in the Palm cradle is a flush
    > >fit, but several of the third party cradles have room. And the 680 in
    > >the Palm cradle has room, at least along the back if not the sides.

    > Treo 650 right now, 680 in a few days. Palm's standard cradle.

    Double checking now, an eGrips applique will definitely fit, a silicon
    skin may or may not, depending on which one. It'll be a bit tight at
    the bottom.

    > >Realizing that this is like vi vs emacs, or Win vs Mac... which ones do
    > >you consider "good"? I used to like the ones I've got, but recently
    > >realized that they were indeed causing me a problem (see my reply to
    > >the OP).

    > Right now, I'm using JAVOScreen Anti-Glare -- Expensive, but from my
    > experience it's the absolute best I've ever used.

    Thanks, I'll google it later.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "God, I hate dreams like that." (Cmdr. Ivanova, B5 "Sic Transit Vir")

  8. Re: alternate to a case?

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > In message <68odq2h23i85vu5i714jfdp1curd5ub4a4@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    > Kaplan wrote:
    >
    > >(mine's an unlocked 680, so I got
    > >a choice of colors... )

    > My original plan was to buy from Palm so I could have a choice in
    > colours. Oddly enough the only one that appealed to me was graphite.

    As long as I was getting an unlocked one, I didn't want it to be
    confused with a carrier-locked unit, and they didn't have any shade of
    blue. So I went with white.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Tips for the Innocent Bystander: 39. Do not take a shortcut through
    the woods.

  9. Re: alternate to a case?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> In message <68odq2h23i85vu5i714jfdp1curd5ub4a4@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    >> Kaplan wrote:
    >>
    >> >(mine's an unlocked 680, so I got
    >> >a choice of colors... )

    >> My original plan was to buy from Palm so I could have a choice in
    >> colours. Oddly enough the only one that appealed to me was graphite.

    >As long as I was getting an unlocked one, I didn't want it to be
    >confused with a carrier-locked unit, and they didn't have any shade of
    >blue. So I went with white.

    I'm going to give http://search.ebay.ca/300068415737 a shot, assuming I
    buy a locked unit. Turns out that Rogers has a $35 "activation" charge
    (Which I assume I pay them for the honour of moving my SIM myself), plus
    a $50 mail in rip-off that was built into the price I was quoted.

    I'm going to hit my pet dealer up and see if they'll offer a better
    price, or throw in some sort of goodie, if not, I'll probably deal with
    Palm directly instead. Meh. Should have known better to trust a
    carrier.

    --
    Study reveals half the country has below-average intelligence.

  10. Re: alternate to a case?

    In message <326eq2tskmaec7oo9l00rnomtaehfdph0b@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    >> >Which Treo and which cradle? The 650 in the Palm cradle is a flush
    >> >fit, but several of the third party cradles have room. And the 680 in
    >> >the Palm cradle has room, at least along the back if not the sides.

    >> Treo 650 right now, 680 in a few days. Palm's standard cradle.

    >Double checking now, an eGrips applique will definitely fit, a silicon
    >skin may or may not, depending on which one. It'll be a bit tight at
    >the bottom.

    Cool -- I just ordered eGrips for my new 680 (once I order it)

    >> >Realizing that this is like vi vs emacs, or Win vs Mac... which ones do
    >> >you consider "good"? I used to like the ones I've got, but recently
    >> >realized that they were indeed causing me a problem (see my reply to
    >> >the OP).

    >> Right now, I'm using JAVOScreen Anti-Glare -- Expensive, but from my
    >> experience it's the absolute best I've ever used.

    >Thanks, I'll google it later.

    FWIW, I went in on the 15% off on mytreo.net -- So I could get ya a deal
    if you want. I'll even throw in the postage to get it to you at no
    charge

    --
    Study reveals half the country has below-average intelligence.

  11. Re: alternate to a case?

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >Thanks, I'll google it later.

    > FWIW, I went in on the 15% off on mytreo.net -- So I could get ya a deal
    > if you want. I'll even throw in the postage to get it to you at no
    > charge

    Thanks, but I don't know you well enough to give you my address.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "As governor of Texas, I have set high standards for our public
    schools, and I have met those standards." - George W. Bush, Aug 30,
    2000

  12. Re: alternate to a case?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> >Thanks, I'll google it later.

    >> FWIW, I went in on the 15% off on mytreo.net -- So I could get ya a deal
    >> if you want. I'll even throw in the postage to get it to you at no
    >> charge

    >Thanks, but I don't know you well enough to give you my address.

    But you'll give it to some random guy on eBay?

    Fair enough, I understand completely -- I have a POBOX for things like
    that. I check it every 3-4 weeks, anyone that wants to stand out there
    waiting for me for the better part of a month deserves to meet me

    --
    The preceding post may have contained foul language,
    and should not have been read by young children.

  13. Re: alternate to a case?

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > In message Jeffrey
    > Kaplan wrote:
    >
    > >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >> FWIW, I went in on the 15% off on mytreo.net -- So I could get ya a deal
    > >> if you want. I'll even throw in the postage to get it to you at no
    > >> charge

    > >Thanks, but I don't know you well enough to give you my address.

    > But you'll give it to some random guy on eBay?

    You know... I never thought of that...

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Tips for evil cult members: 32. For those situations where a fresh,
    living, sacrifice is not available, the lower ranks of demons can be
    fooled by microwaving a previously frozen chunk of ex-victim and
    cleverly jiggling it. However, a mock victim sculpted from Spam is
    right out.

  14. Re: alternate to a case?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> In message Jeffrey
    >> Kaplan wrote:
    >>
    >> >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    >> >Thanks, but I don't know you well enough to give you my address.

    >> But you'll give it to some random guy on eBay?

    >You know... I never thought of that...

    Actually, I'm mostly kidding. If I was stalking you, I'd start by
    finding you in another group and act like a friend, and eventually try
    to get your address.

    When you pick something eBay to buy, you're choosing the product to buy,
    which makes it a lot tougher for me to target you specifically.

    *shrugs* So really, it just depends on the threat you're worried about.

    Myself, I'm far too busy with work to have the time to stalk anyone.

    --
    If a job is worth doing, then get someone in to do it properly.

+ Reply to Thread