Looking for software for Palm m500 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Looking for software for Palm m500 - Palmtop ; Dear all, I know that m500 is not the perfect platform for viewing images, but sometimes I'd like to e.g. have a page from PDF[*] converted to a bitmap always handy in my palm. I have found a dozen or ...

  1. Looking for software for Palm m500

    Dear all,

    I know that m500 is not the perfect platform for viewing images, but
    sometimes I'd like to e.g. have a page from PDF[*] converted to a bitmap
    always handy in my palm.

    I have found a dozen or so programs, however, what I need is the following:

    1) it works quickly with my old palm
    2) no Windows software for e.g. converting images necessary, or Linux
    software available
    3) a plus: directly viewing images e.g. from the memory stick
    [*] I know there are PDF viewers, but in some cases the PDF is so complex
    that it would probably be better to convert it to a bitmap. Furthermore:
    PDF viewer from Adobe is not installable from Linux.

    Thanks in advance,

    January

    --

  2. Re: Looking for software for Palm m500

    January Weiner wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I know that m500 is not the perfect platform for viewing images, but
    > sometimes I'd like to e.g. have a page from PDF[*] converted to a bitmap
    > always handy in my palm.
    >
    > I have found a dozen or so programs, however, what I need is the
    > following:
    >
    > 1) it works quickly with my old palm
    > 2) no Windows software for e.g. converting images necessary, or Linux
    > software available
    > 3) a plus: directly viewing images e.g. from the memory stick
    >
    >[*] I know there are PDF viewers, but in some cases the PDF is so complex
    > that it would probably be better to convert it to a bitmap. Furthermore:
    > PDF viewer from Adobe is not installable from Linux.

    Probably not exactly right for you, but this is what I do:

    I use pdftohtml (linux) to convert the pdf to html. Then I convert the
    extracted html and images (if they exist and I want them) to a plucker
    file.
    The formatting is about as messed up as a distilled pdf anyway, but the
    filesize is much smaller and doesn't need Windows software or that
    horrendous palm Acrobad reader. <- (Typo, but I decided to leave it).

    This is the method I use to view ebooks that are trapped inside pdfs these
    days. It works well enough for me.

    I was using an M500 up until a few weeks ago, and am still using linux so I
    can safely say this method does work.

    --
    -----> http://members.dodo.com.au/~izabelli...tan/index.html <-----
    ===== It's not pretty, it's not great, but it is mine. =====