Re: I want that one - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: I want that one - Palmtop ; John W. Kennedy wrote: >putting a big shadow on Redmond's >"Who says all operating systems named 'Windows' have to be compatible?" >strategy. Two BIG problems One provider and the coverage in MN sucks. Same type problem for others. I do ...

  1. Re: I want that one

    John W. Kennedy wrote:
    >putting a big shadow on Redmond's
    >"Who says all operating systems named 'Windows' have to be compatible?"
    >strategy.

    Two BIG problems
    One provider and the coverage in MN sucks. Same type problem for others.

    I do not want and do not need a cell phone. Too damned expensive. I do want anddo use a PDA a LOT. Too bad this is going to end!
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  2. Re: I want that one

    Gil Baron wrote:
    > John W. Kennedy wrote:
    > >putting a big shadow on Redmond's
    > >"Who says all operating systems named 'Windows' have to be compatible?"
    > >strategy.

    > Two BIG problems
    > One provider and the coverage in MN sucks. Same type problem for others.
    >
    > I do not want and do not need a cell phone. Too damned expensive. I do want and do use a PDA a LOT. Too bad this is going to end!
    > --
    > Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    > Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

    If you don't want your PDA to also be a cell phone, then the current
    best solution is the elegant Palm TX. Of course, it limits your web
    connectivity to WiFi hotspots ... but otherwise, I love mine! Big
    beautiful large-screen display, full PDA, mp3 Player, Video Player,
    email send/receive, web browser, plus thousands of easily available
    Palm programs, utilities, games, etc. Overall, it's a GREAT device.

    The iPhone will be a huge step forward in the world of device
    convergence -- I've always loved the Mac OS. However, today I read a
    couple of articles focused on the potential negatives of the proposed
    iPhone -- things I didn't think about when i first looked at it last
    week. For instance: it's a locked system -- you can't add any software
    to it; the network is limited to a slow Cingular system which is much
    slower than broadband or other wireless networks; there has been no
    mention of it's ability (or lack thereof) to syncronize with Microsoft
    Outlook for contacts, calendar, etc.; and it is unclear whether it
    will have the ablilty to open, read, edit, create or save documents
    (Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, Powerpoints, etc.) Lots of unanswered
    questions that may limit it's appeal to business users who currently
    use Trios or Blackberrys -- an obvious target for the iPhone market.

  3. Re: I want that one

    On 15 Jan 2007 07:17:50 -0800, "mdspiro@gmail.com"
    wrote:

    >. For instance: it's a locked system -- you can't add any software
    >to it;

    To me, this is the showstopper. Though I suspect it probably is not
    the end of the story, apparently Apple's history with the ipod shows
    it may very well be.

    Personally, I'd like to see a next-gen TX (with or without mobile
    capability) but it's looking like Palm have just decided to dead-end
    themselves into the Treo.

    Rich
    --
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    --Robert A. Heinlein

  4. Re: I want that one

    Richard Thomas wrote:
    > On 15 Jan 2007 07:17:50 -0800, "mdspiro@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    > >. For instance: it's a locked system -- you can't add any software
    > >to it;

    > To me, this is the showstopper. Though I suspect it probably is not
    > the end of the story, apparently Apple's history with the ipod shows
    > it may very well be.
    > Personally, I'd like to see a next-gen TX (with or without mobile
    > capability) but it's looking like Palm have just decided to dead-end
    > themselves into the Treo.
    > Rich

    Wouldn't it be great if they could somehow merge the features of the
    Palm TX with a Treo and come up with a device that had the best of
    both. THAT would be a device that could potentially compete with the
    Apple iPhone! A large-screen PDA that could play music & videos, with
    WiFi & Bluetooth, a decent camera, a microphone, a phone, email, plus a
    full web-browser that could operate over whatever network was available
    (WiFi where it's found, or a cellular broadband network where it's
    not). All that, plus the ability to download thousands of Palm
    programs, utilities and games, compatability with Microsoft Outlook and
    Office (using Datavix's Documents to Go) and unlimited storage on SD
    cards, and you have the "perfect" device! Sure, the Mac OS is more
    elegant and user-friendly than Palm's OS ... but it also comes with
    limitations that may ultimately diminish it's appeal.

  5. Re: I want that one

    mdspiro@gmail.com wrote:

    >If you don't want your PDA to also be a cell phone, then the current
    >best solution is the elegant Palm TX. Of course, it limits your web

    Exactly what I have. The NVFS bugs do prevent use of Fugawi if certain other programs have been installed so that is a HUGE PIA.
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

+ Reply to Thread