Re: What happened to Palm? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: What happened to Palm? - Palmtop ; Per Rønne wrote: > What do you suggest should be left out of the Treo? The phone! What good is having a phone and a PDA if you can't look at the PDA screen at the same time you're on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Re: What happened to Palm?

    Per Rønne wrote:

    > What do you suggest should be left out of the Treo?

    The phone! What good is having a phone and a PDA if you can't look at the
    PDA screen at the same time you're on the phone, anyway?

  2. Re: What happened to Palm?

    In article ,
    Paul Johnson wrote:

    > The phone! What good is having a phone and a PDA if you can't look at the
    > PDA screen at the same time you're on the phone, anyway?

    What makes you think you can't?

  3. Re: What happened to Palm?

    It is alleged that Paul Johnson claimed:

    > The phone! What good is having a phone and a PDA if you can't look at the
    > PDA screen at the same time you're on the phone, anyway?

    That's what headsets are for.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Thanks, I owe you." "Import another steak." "I don't owe you +that+
    much." (Cmdr. Sinclair and Mr. Garibaldi, B5 "Believers")

  4. Re: What happened to Palm?

    Paul Johnson wrote:

    > Per Rønne wrote:
    >
    > > What do you suggest should be left out of the Treo?

    > The phone! What good is having a phone and a PDA if you can't look at the
    > PDA screen at the same time you're on the phone, anyway?

    I've purchased a bluetooth headset for just that reason.

    BTW, the Treo comes with a /wired/ headset. The bluetooth headset can be
    attached to one of the ears in seconds, and you can have it on for all
    of the day. And charge it during the night. The range to the phone is 10
    metres.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  5. Re: What happened to Palm?

    Guy Bannis wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Paul Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> The phone! What good is having a phone and a PDA if you can't look at
    >> the PDA screen at the same time you're on the phone, anyway?

    > What makes you think you can't?

    Who wants to carry around an earpiece or is inconsiderate enough to use
    speakerphone? I mean, odds are you're going to be in public around other
    people or at least someplace where you don't have broadcast booth sound
    conditions, and earpieces are expensive, cumbersome and get lost. At least
    if you get yourself a good Bluetooth flipphone and a Bluetooth Palm, you
    can rest the phone on your shoulder and use the PDA at the same time. This
    also gives you the collateral benefit of having something to cancel out the
    lopsided gadget bulge having a phone or PDA in one pocket and nothing of
    significant size in the other when wearing jeans or off-the-rack slacks.
    And you don't look like some tool speaking into a Game Boy when you use it
    as a phone.

  6. Re: What happened to Palm?

    Paul Johnson wrote:

    > earpieces are expensive

    Well, my Treo bluetooth headset was 600 Danish kroner, 115 Canadian
    dollars, 25% VAT included ...
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  7. Re: What happened to Palm?

    It is alleged that Paul Johnson claimed:

    > Who wants to carry around an earpiece or is inconsiderate enough to use
    > speakerphone? I mean, odds are you're going to be in public around other
    > people or at least someplace where you don't have broadcast booth sound
    > conditions, and earpieces are expensive, cumbersome and get lost. At least

    I got a Plantronics Explorer 340 from Treocentral for $50 (+S/H). This
    is less than what a retail store wanted for the lesser-model 320.
    Cumbersome? It fits easily into a pocket when you don't want to wear
    it.

    > if you get yourself a good Bluetooth flipphone and a Bluetooth Palm, you
    > can rest the phone on your shoulder and use the PDA at the same time. This

    Yeah, right. You try doing that with a RAZR. Modern phones are so
    slim, you'd have to turn your head horizontal to do that.

    > also gives you the collateral benefit of having something to cancel out the
    > lopsided gadget bulge having a phone or PDA in one pocket and nothing of

    Hey, it's not our problem if you have a lopsided bulge in your pants...

    > significant size in the other when wearing jeans or off-the-rack slacks.
    > And you don't look like some tool speaking into a Game Boy when you use it
    > as a phone.

    You'd only look like a tool speaking into a Game Boy if you're trying
    to speak into a Game Boy.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    DISCLAIMER: Any resemblance between the above views and those of my
    employer, my terminal, or the view out my window are purely
    coincidental. Any resemblance between the above and my own views is
    non-deterministic. The question of the existence of views in the
    absence of anyone to hold them is left as an exercise for the reader.
    The question of the existence of the reader is left as an exercise for
    the second god coefficient. (A discussion of non-orthogonal,
    non-integral polytheism is beyond the scope of this article.)

  8. Re: What happened to Palm?

    In article ,
    Paul Johnson wrote:

    > Who wants to carry around an earpiece or is inconsiderate enough to use
    > speakerphone? I mean, odds are you're going to be in public around other
    > people or at least someplace where you don't have broadcast booth sound
    > conditions, and earpieces are expensive, cumbersome and get lost. At least
    > if you get yourself a good Bluetooth flipphone and a Bluetooth Palm, you
    > can rest the phone on your shoulder and use the PDA at the same time.

    To each his own, but this makes no sense to me. You'd rather carry a
    heavier extra device than an earpiece ...

  9. Re: What happened to Palm?

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > It is alleged that Paul Johnson claimed:
    >
    >> Who wants to carry around an earpiece or is inconsiderate enough to use
    >> speakerphone? I mean, odds are you're going to be in public around other
    >> people or at least someplace where you don't have broadcast booth sound
    >> conditions, and earpieces are expensive, cumbersome and get lost. At
    >> least

    > I got a Plantronics Explorer 340 from Treocentral for $50 (+S/H). This
    > is less than what a retail store wanted for the lesser-model 320.
    > Cumbersome? It fits easily into a pocket when you don't want to wear
    > it.

    Still too cumbersome. It's an otherwise superfluous device that costs far
    more than something that easily lost should cost. And like I have infinite
    pocket space to stash a headset or deal with it getting tangled in it's own
    cord or my keys. Headsets are more expensive and cumbersome than they're
    worth, especially compared to a decent flipphone that you can shoulder.

    >> if you get yourself a good Bluetooth flipphone and a Bluetooth Palm, you
    >> can rest the phone on your shoulder and use the PDA at the same time.
    >> This

    > Yeah, right. You try doing that with a RAZR. Modern phones are so
    > slim, you'd have to turn your head horizontal to do that.

    I'm not a giraffe so I don't have this problem.

    >> significant size in the other when wearing jeans or off-the-rack slacks.
    >> And you don't look like some tool speaking into a Game Boy when you use
    >> it as a phone.

    > You'd only look like a tool speaking into a Game Boy if you're trying
    > to speak into a Game Boy.

    I've yet to see a smartphone that didn't look remarkably like a gameboy from
    the back. The Visorphone is probably a worst-offender in this category.

  10. Re: What happened to Palm?

    In message Paul Johnson
    wrote:

    >Who wants to carry around an earpiece

    .... ...
    >get yourself a good Bluetooth flipphone and a Bluetooth Palm,

    I don't know about you, but my Treo 650 + Bluetooth headset is
    substantially smaller then my Razr + Palm T|X was.

    If you're going to carry around two pieces, complaining about the size
    of a bluetooth headset isn't a very smart argument given that it's
    substantially smaller then carrying around a phone.

    For me, my Treo is my Palm, my headset is my phone. The Treo just
    happens to have a speaker and microphone as a backup.

    --
    When you're arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing.

  11. Re: What happened to Palm?

    Hello, Paul Johnson !
    You wrote:

    > Per Rønne wrote:
    >
    > > What do you suggest should be left out of the Treo?

    > The phone! What good is having a phone and a PDA if you can't
    > look at the
    > PDA screen at the same time you're on the phone, anyway?

    That's what the speakerphone is good for. Or a headset.

    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

  12. Re: What happened to Palm?

    Todd Tannenbaum wrote:

    > That's what the speakerphone is good for. *Or a headset.

    The problem, though, is that speakerphone suffers sound quality problems
    unless you happen to have an empty broadcasting booth laying around or just
    plain rude, and headsets are cumbersome, expensive and easily broken.

  13. Re: What happened to Palm?

    Guy Bannis wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Paul Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> Who wants to carry around an earpiece or is inconsiderate enough to use
    >> speakerphone? I mean, odds are you're going to be in public around other
    >> people or at least someplace where you don't have broadcast booth sound
    >> conditions, and earpieces are expensive, cumbersome and get lost. At
    >> least if you get yourself a good Bluetooth flipphone and a Bluetooth
    >> Palm, you can rest the phone on your shoulder and use the PDA at the same
    >> time.

    > To each his own, but this makes no sense to me. You'd rather carry a
    > heavier extra device than an earpiece ...

    Given that phone calls should only be made at a last resort when all other
    methods of contact fail, it's not like I'm spending that much time on the
    phone anyway. Headsets are a technological attempt at solving a social
    problem and wouldn't be necessary in the first place if everyone would
    remember some basic phone etiquette and only use it when there's no other
    option and not because they don't want to make an effort.

  14. Re: What happened to Palm?

    It is alleged that Paul Johnson claimed:

    > Yes, but are way more durable, have more screen space, and doesn't render
    > the PDA useless just because the phone went obsolete. Devices, like
    > software, are most effective when they do one thing and one thing well. .
    > PDAs should just be PDAs. Phones should just be phones. In either case,
    > unless you're just a rude and obnoxious asshole with no consideration for
    > the person they're calling or people in their immediate vicinity, you're
    > not going to need a headset since you're only going to be using the phone
    > as a last resort in emergency situations only.

    So what would you suggest I do when I'm at the mall and want to show
    something to my sister/wife/mother/daughter, who is in another store,
    but I don't know which one: Walk down the concourse shouting her name?
    Or call her cellular-to-cellular?

    Or I'm running a bit late. Hardly an emergency. Send smoke signals?

    Trying to find a buddy in the crowd at the big game, should I just mill
    around aimlessly?

    I've taken the day off of work (legitimately) for a doctor's
    appointment or something, and my boss has a question about a project
    I'm working on, should he rely on telepathy?

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Never do yourself what you can con an expert into doing for you.
    That's what he'd say. Tactical judo from the space magician himself."
    (Elli Quinn [Lois McMaster Bujold, "Ethan of Athos"])

  15. Re: What happened to Palm?

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > It is alleged that Paul Johnson claimed:
    >
    >> Yes, but are way more durable, have more screen space, and doesn't render
    >> the PDA useless just because the phone went obsolete. Devices, like
    >> software, are most effective when they do one thing and one thing well.
    >> .
    >> PDAs should just be PDAs. Phones should just be phones. In either case,
    >> unless you're just a rude and obnoxious asshole with no consideration for
    >> the person they're calling or people in their immediate vicinity, you're
    >> not going to need a headset since you're only going to be using the phone
    >> as a last resort in emergency situations only.

    > So what would you suggest I do when I'm at the mall and want to show
    > something to my sister/wife/mother/daughter, who is in another store,
    > but I don't know which one: Walk down the concourse shouting her name?
    > Or call her cellular-to-cellular?

    Plan ahead.

    > Or I'm running a bit late. Hardly an emergency. Send smoke signals?

    You'll get there when you get there.

    > Trying to find a buddy in the crowd at the big game, should I just mill
    > around aimlessly?

    Plan ahead.

    > I've taken the day off of work (legitimately) for a doctor's
    > appointment or something, and my boss has a question about a project
    > I'm working on, should he rely on telepathy?

    Plan ahead.

    Seriously, not that hard to get it right without being so rude as to use a
    phone to make up for laziness.

  16. Re: What happened to Palm?

    It is alleged that Paul Johnson claimed:

    > > So what would you suggest I do when I'm at the mall and want to show
    > > something to my sister/wife/mother/daughter, who is in another store,
    > > but I don't know which one: Walk down the concourse shouting her name?
    > > Or call her cellular-to-cellular?

    > Plan ahead.

    I'm sorry, but unlike you, I cannot see into the future to know that
    I'll randomly find something that someone else might be interested in.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #122.
    The gun turrets on my fortress will not rotate enough so that they may
    direct fire inward or at each other.

  17. Re: What happened to Palm?

    "Paul Johnson" wrote in message
    > Guy Bannis wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Paul Johnson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Who wants to carry around an earpiece or is inconsiderate enough to use
    >>> speakerphone? I mean, odds are you're going to be in public around
    >>> other
    >>> people or at least someplace where you don't have broadcast booth sound
    >>> conditions, and earpieces are expensive, cumbersome and get lost. At
    >>> least if you get yourself a good Bluetooth flipphone and a Bluetooth
    >>> Palm, you can rest the phone on your shoulder and use the PDA at the
    >>> same
    >>> time.

    >> To each his own, but this makes no sense to me. You'd rather carry a
    >> heavier extra device than an earpiece ...

    > Given that phone calls should only be made at a last resort when all other
    > methods of contact fail, it's not like I'm spending that much time on the
    > phone anyway. Headsets are a technological attempt at solving a social
    > problem and wouldn't be necessary in the first place if everyone would
    > remember some basic phone etiquette and only use it when there's no other
    > option and not because they don't want to make an effort.

    Well said !!

    > --

  18. Re: What happened to Palm?

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > It is alleged that Paul Johnson claimed:
    >
    >> > So what would you suggest I do when I'm at the mall and want to show
    >> > something to my sister/wife/mother/daughter, who is in another store,
    >> > but I don't know which one: Walk down the concourse shouting her name?
    >> > Or call her cellular-to-cellular?

    >> Plan ahead.

    > I'm sorry, but unlike you, I cannot see into the future to know that
    > I'll randomly find something that someone else might be interested in.

    Put a little bit more thought into it. Arrange to meet back at a central
    location at a certain time.

  19. Re: What happened to Palm?

    Paul Johnson wrote:

    > Yes, but are way more durable, have more screen space, and doesn't
    > render the PDA useless just because the phone went obsolete.
    > Devices, like software, are most effective when they do one thing and
    > one thing well. . PDAs should just be PDAs. Phones should just be
    > phones. In either case, unless you're just a rude and obnoxious
    > asshole with no consideration for the person they're calling or
    > people in their immediate vicinity, you're not going to need a
    > headset since you're only going to be using the phone as a last
    > resort in emergency situations only.

    I feel like this is one of the few posts in this long thread that even comes
    close to the point of my original post (that started the thread). I would
    respond that it can make sense to integrate a phone into the address book
    functions of a PDA. However, you need to do it intelligently, not with the
    kitchen-sink-too approach of Windows Mobile.

    Actually, a significant amount of the pressure on PDAs came from the other
    side, with mobile phones that added PDA-like address book functions to
    phones. I have a Sanyo phone that did this quite brilliantly. However, there
    were other PDA capabilities that I regret not having, mostly for synching
    between computers.

    --
    The truth alone will not make you free. However, it is one of the
    prerequisites. Unless you know the truths underlying your options, you

  20. Re: What happened to Palm?

    In article <45a814ff$0$7432$44c9b20d@news3.asahi-net.or.jp>,
    "Shannon Jacobs" wrote:

    > Paul Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > phones. In either case, unless you're just a rude and obnoxious
    > > asshole with no consideration for the person they're calling or
    > > people in their immediate vicinity, you're not going to need a
    > > headset since you're only going to be using the phone as a last
    > > resort in emergency situations only.

    It's all right to have your own opinion about this and it IS your own
    opinion.

    But I wonder if you live in the same world I do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast