A subtle change to palm.com - Palmtop

This is a discussion on A subtle change to palm.com - Palmtop ; A few weeks back, Palm's category on their website where they placed the LifeDrive, was named "Mobile Managers". This category has been renamed "Mobile Manager". It gets pretty clear we won't see a LifeDrive follow-up... Cheers, Thorbjorn...

  1. A subtle change to palm.com

    A few weeks back, Palm's category on their website where they placed the
    LifeDrive, was named "Mobile Managers". This category has been renamed
    "Mobile Manager". It gets pretty clear we won't see a LifeDrive follow-up...

    Cheers, Thorbjorn

  2. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    Thorbjorn Sundboe wrote:
    > A few weeks back, Palm's category on their website where they placed the
    > LifeDrive, was named "Mobile Managers". This category has been renamed
    > "Mobile Manager". It gets pretty clear we won't see a LifeDrive follow-up...

    Last week, SanDisk announced a 32G solid-state disk replacement for
    laptops that uses less power and is more reliable than an equivalent
    disk. I rather fancy the basic LifeDrive concept has been outflanked.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres

  3. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    John W. Kennedy wrote:
    > Thorbjorn Sundboe wrote:
    >> A few weeks back, Palm's category on their website where they placed
    >> the LifeDrive, was named "Mobile Managers". This category has been
    >> renamed "Mobile Manager". It gets pretty clear we won't see a
    >> LifeDrive follow-up...

    > Last week, SanDisk announced a 32G solid-state disk replacement for
    > laptops that uses less power and is more reliable than an equivalent
    > disk. I rather fancy the basic LifeDrive concept has been outflanked.

    Outflanked? How the data is stored technically can not be importent,
    what matters is what the device can do with the storage.

  4. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    Jon Bendtsen wrote:
    > John W. Kennedy wrote:
    >> Thorbjorn Sundboe wrote:
    >>> A few weeks back, Palm's category on their website where they placed
    >>> the LifeDrive, was named "Mobile Managers". This category has been
    >>> renamed "Mobile Manager". It gets pretty clear we won't see a
    >>> LifeDrive follow-up...

    >> Last week, SanDisk announced a 32G solid-state disk replacement for
    >> laptops that uses less power and is more reliable than an equivalent
    >> disk. I rather fancy the basic LifeDrive concept has been outflanked.

    > Outflanked? How the data is stored technically can not be importent,
    > what matters is what the device can do with the storage.

    The various features found on various PDA/Smart-phone/MP3 devices are in
    chaos. The hard drive and concomitant high (then) capacity was the only
    thing that made the LifeDrive particularly unique, and the continual
    spin-up stalling of the LifeDrive didn't exactly give it a good
    reputation. It's dead.

    What disturbs me right how is that there's a new Treo 750 that runs the
    Software of the Beast, and with no tell-tale "w" on it.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres

  5. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    John W. Kennedy wrote:
    > Jon Bendtsen wrote:
    >> John W. Kennedy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Last week, SanDisk announced a 32G solid-state disk replacement for
    >>> laptops that uses less power and is more reliable than an equivalent
    >>> disk. I rather fancy the basic LifeDrive concept has been outflanked.

    >> Outflanked? How the data is stored technically can not be importent,
    >> what matters is what the device can do with the storage.

    > The various features found on various PDA/Smart-phone/MP3 devices are in
    > chaos. The hard drive and concomitant high (then) capacity was the only
    > thing that made the LifeDrive particularly unique, and the continual
    > spin-up stalling of the LifeDrive didn't exactly give it a good
    > reputation. It's dead.
    >
    > What disturbs me right how is that there's a new Treo 750 that runs the
    > Software of the Beast, and with no tell-tale "w" on it.

    I have been a long time user of Palm (latest = T5) and Nokia cell
    phones. I used to SMS from the T5 via Bluetooth to the Nokia. I was
    waiting for a Treo better than the 650 to come along.

    My work has given everyone a Windows Mobile 5 based phone. How I long
    for the elegant interface of PalmOS.

  6. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    Jon Bendtsen wrote:
    >John W. Kennedy wrote:
    >> Last week, SanDisk announced a 32G solid-state disk replacement for
    >> laptops that uses less power and is more reliable than an equivalent
    >> disk. I rather fancy the basic LifeDrive concept has been outflanked.

    >Outflanked? How the data is stored technically can not be importent,

    Speed of data retrieval, battery life, and PDA weight are all important. They
    will all improve when the hard drive is replaced with solid state memory. But I
    think we may have seen the last of new classic style PDAs (including the
    LifeDrive) for quite another reason. They are being killed by the phones...

  7. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    > Last week, SanDisk announced a 32G solid-state disk replacement for
    > laptops that uses less power and is more reliable than an equivalent disk.
    > I rather fancy the basic LifeDrive concept has been outflanked.

    I did find the concept a good one, but it was not properly implemented. I
    would love a PDA with Sandisk's new disk. At the moment however, the whole
    PDA concept seems to have been trashed. I'm not particularly fond of the
    smartphone concept, I am a two-device man for a few reasons. Cellular
    technology (the data part) built into the device is very quickly outdated
    (GPRS, Edge, UMTS, UMTS with HSDPA, UMTS with HSDPA and HSUPA, ...). I would
    rather have a (cheaper) featureless fast data-phone that can be swapped
    when new faster technology is available while retaining the PDA and the
    associated accessories and software investment. The smartphones I know also
    cannot compare to many PDAs (I use the T3) in terms of screen size.

    Cheers, Thorbjorn

  8. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    AaronJ wrote:
    > Jon Bendtsen wrote:
    >> John W. Kennedy wrote:
    >>> Last week, SanDisk announced a 32G solid-state disk replacement for
    >>> laptops that uses less power and is more reliable than an equivalent
    >>> disk. I rather fancy the basic LifeDrive concept has been outflanked.

    >> Outflanked? How the data is stored technically can not be importent,

    > Speed of data retrieval, battery life, and PDA weight are all important. They
    > will all improve when the hard drive is replaced with solid state memory. But I
    > think we may have seen the last of new classic style PDAs (including the
    > LifeDrive) for quite another reason. They are being killed by the phones...

    Maybe, but i still see alot of that sort of devices, they are just
    also used for GPS and watching video. Or as Nokia 770, an internet
    tablet. I do think that contacts and schedule will move to a phone,
    because we always carry a phone.

  9. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    Jon Bendtsen wrote:

    > AaronJ wrote: > Jon Bendtsen wrote: >> John W. Kennedy
    > wrote: >>> Last week, SanDisk announced a 32G solid-state disk replacement
    > for >>> laptops that uses less power and is more reliable than an
    > equivalent >>> disk. I rather fancy the basic LifeDrive concept has been
    > outflanked. >> Outflanked? How the data is stored technically can not be
    > importent, > > Speed of data retrieval, battery life, and PDA weight are
    > all important. They > will all improve when the hard drive is replaced
    > with solid state memory. But I > think we may have seen the last of new
    > classic style PDAs (including the > LifeDrive) for quite another reason.
    > They are being killed by the phones...
    >
    > Maybe, but i still see alot of that sort of devices, they are just also
    > used for GPS and watching video. Or as Nokia 770, an internet tablet. I do
    > think that contacts and schedule will move to a phone, because we always
    > carry a phone.

    Apple's new iPhone runs OSX and can runs real apps and widgets, though
    no-one is able to verify this yet. Looks very usable though for voice,
    e-mail and web browsing.

  10. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    Jon Bendtsen wrote:

    >AaronJ wrote:
    >> I think we may have seen the last of new classic style PDAs (including the
    >> LifeDrive) for quite another reason. They are being killed by the phones...

    >Maybe, but i still see alot of that sort of devices..., they are just
    >also used for GPS and watching video. Or as Nokia 770, an internet
    >tablet. I do think that contacts and schedule will move to a phone,
    >because we always carry a phone.

    I should have said my remarks pertain to classic style *Palms* only (my bad).
    IMO any new classic style Palms are apparently being killed by the phones. How
    long has it been since a new non-phone Palm came out? They used to put out a
    couple a year or more. Have you heard of any new announcements? Rumors? Me
    neither. Sure hope I'm wrong though...

  11. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    In comp.sys.palmtops.pilot Thorbjorn Sundboe wrote:
    > A few weeks back, Palm's category on their website where they placed the
    > LifeDrive, was named "Mobile Managers". This category has been renamed
    > "Mobile Manager". It gets pretty clear we won't see a LifeDrive follow-up...

    Thanks G.d. /PaulN

  12. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    > Last week, SanDisk announced a 32G solid-state disk replacement for
    > laptops that uses less power and is more reliable than an equivalent
    > disk. I rather fancy the basic LifeDrive concept has been outflanked.

    Boring news actually.

    Solid state/flash hard drive replacements have been on the market for
    decades and have been available to the public for many, many years. You
    can easily buy one today, drop it into your laptop, and voila! -- No
    more HD crashes! and superior speed!

    Laptop, desktop, whatever, they've already got replacement SDD for
    your HD today!

    http://www.bitmicro.com/products_storage_devices.php
    http://www.simpletech.com/oem/zeus/

    http://www.storagesearch.com/bitmicro-art3.html

    Buy.com carries a few, and ebay.com is the cheapest place to get them
    to try them out!

  13. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    "David Chien" wrote in message

    >> Last week, SanDisk announced a 32G solid-state disk replacement for
    >> laptops that uses less power and is more reliable than an equivalent
    >> disk. I rather fancy the basic LifeDrive concept has been outflanked.

    > Boring news actually.
    >
    > Solid state/flash hard drive replacements have been on the market for
    > decades and have been available to the public for many, many years. You
    > can easily buy one today, drop it into your laptop, and voila! -- No more
    > HD crashes! and superior speed!
    >
    > Laptop, desktop, whatever, they've already got replacement SDD for your
    > HD today!
    >
    > http://www.bitmicro.com/products_storage_devices.php
    > http://www.simpletech.com/oem/zeus/
    >
    > http://www.storagesearch.com/bitmicro-art3.html
    >
    > Buy.com carries a few, and ebay.com is the cheapest place to get them to
    > try them out!

    VERY COOL!!! I didn't know that they existed and I want one. I went to
    ebay which only had 2GB max drives and buy.com which listed an 8GB one that
    was unavailable. The SanDisk 32GB one seems to be a prototype. I couldn't
    find a place that sells Zeus or BitMicro and thus couldn't locate a price.
    Any ideas what the price of one of these might be? Where can I actually
    purchase one that's a workable size? (+20GB)

  14. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    Thorbjorn Sundboe wrote:
    >>Last week, SanDisk announced a 32G solid-state disk replacement for
    >>laptops that uses less power and is more reliable than an equivalent disk.
    >>I rather fancy the basic LifeDrive concept has been outflanked.

    > I did find the concept a good one, but it was not properly implemented. I
    > would love a PDA with Sandisk's new disk. At the moment however, the whole
    > PDA concept seems to have been trashed. I'm not particularly fond of the
    > smartphone concept, I am a two-device man for a few reasons. Cellular
    > technology (the data part) built into the device is very quickly outdated
    > (GPRS, Edge, UMTS, UMTS with HSDPA, UMTS with HSDPA and HSUPA, ...). I would
    > rather have a (cheaper) featureless fast data-phone that can be swapped
    > when new faster technology is available while retaining the PDA and the
    > associated accessories and software investment. The smartphones I know also
    > cannot compare to many PDAs (I use the T3) in terms of screen size.
    >
    > Cheers, Thorbjorn

    I am with you on the screen size issue - don't want to fool with a PDA
    size screen for a phone, and don't want to look at all the stuff I can
    with my Zire 72 on a phone-size screen (nor use up my phone battery's
    talk time on PDA functions, including Scrabble ;-). Also, it is nice to
    be able to look up info or record info on the PDA in relation to a
    phone call, and having separate devices facilitates that.

    Re the LifeDrive disk issues, I have seen howto's for replacing the
    Microdrive with a 4GB CF card. Apparently, the card has to be exactly
    the same size, and the CF card has to be "imaged" from an original LD
    Microdrive to boot up, and function properly. This appears to yield big
    speed boosts in startup, and less heat, although I seem to recall there
    not being much difference in battery life (or maybe that was increased
    batt life, but not much less heat? Something counter-intuitive about
    one of those factors...). It definitely has my interest when my Zire
    bites the dust, as all things like that eventually do.

    The Palm PDA "basics" for contacts and calendar are still what it does
    best, and the rest is "gravy" that is fun to use as long as it does not
    get in the way of the basics. And the basic calling abilities of a cell
    phone are what I try to keep my focus on for that.

    ROC

  15. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    >A few weeks back, Palm's category on their website where they placed the
    >LifeDrive, was named "Mobile Managers". This category has been renamed
    >"Mobile Manager". It gets pretty clear we won't see a LifeDrive
    >follow-up...

    And, now they have changed it back to the plural again...

  16. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    "Thorbjorn Sundboe" wrote in

    > I did find the concept a good one, but it was not properly
    > implemented. I would love a PDA with Sandisk's new disk. At the moment
    > however, the whole PDA concept seems to have been trashed. I'm not
    > particularly fond of the smartphone concept, I am a two-device man for
    > a few reasons.

    I'm with you on this one. I want my phone to be a phone, not a PDA. I
    want my PDA to be a PDA, not a phone. I carry each for different reasons,
    and to do different jobs. In my experience, when a device tries to be
    both, it ends up not being good at either.

    As for Sandisk's new disk, I would love to see this in a PDA also. Besides
    prefering two devices, I also do not like having moving parts like spinning
    hard drives in my portable devices. This is the entire reason I opted for
    a Palm TX with a fat SD card over a Lifedrive.

    David

  17. Re: A subtle change to palm.com

    On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:17:54 -0700, AaronJ
    wrote:

    >Speed of data retrieval, battery life, and PDA weight are all important. They
    >will all improve when the hard drive is replaced with solid state memory. But I
    >think we may have seen the last of new classic style PDAs (including the
    >LifeDrive) for quite another reason. They are being killed by the phones...

    I think you are correct.
    I have always been using a Palm and a nokia phone.
    I tried the Treo 650: good Palm but not a good phone, and bulky.

    I gave up, kept my TX and bought a simple phone (i thought): a Nokia
    E50 (Symbian). Now I see opportunities:
    Contacts are ok (sync with outlook out of the box). So is the
    calendar. On the nokia side I found Papyrus. Not even half Datebk6 but
    I can do with it what I want when the new version (expected in weeks)
    comes out.
    TomTom6 runs happily on the phone. Splashdata and other developers are
    accepting Symbian (at last. that is why I had to give up my (BULKY:-)
    Psion.
    Imaging: just a nokia E50 (1/2 size of my TX), my carkit (both
    bluetooth and wired). Perfect phone, perfect sound quality (after the
    latest firmware update).

    Willem.

    --
    Strip s from wblinks for email.