Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones - Palmtop ; It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed: > >> Unlocked Treos are more expensive than locked Treos because the > >Not necessarily. I could have purchased a locked Treo 680 from > >Cingular for US$450. Since I'm not interested in doubling ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

  1. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >> Unlocked Treos are more expensive than locked Treos because the

    > >Not necessarily. I could have purchased a locked Treo 680 from
    > >Cingular for US$450. Since I'm not interested in doubling my rate plan
    > >to get unlimited data, which I don't need, I did not quality for a
    > >subsidized unit, I got an unlocked one directly from Palm US - for
    > >$399, and I did qualify for a trade-up rebate of $125, for a final cost
    > >of $274 (I'm now just waiting on the rebate check).

    > How is the 680?

    I like it. It's a nice upgrade from the 650, and I would then presume
    it's a great upgrade from the 600. The biggest issue is that the
    battery meter isn't accurate out of the box, it needs to be trained.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Wow, this place is incredible. It's like we just stepped into the
    citadel at Mycenae." "I thought you said it was Greek." "Oh, Mycenae
    was an ancient city in the Southern Peloponnesian region." "Where's
    that?" "Greece." "Why do I do that?" - Daniel Jackson and Jack
    O'Neill, SG1

  2. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    In message <73k7q25aiprd9ofjme8v74fdgcf38eru8n@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    >> >Not necessarily. I could have purchased a locked Treo 680 from
    >> >Cingular for US$450. Since I'm not interested in doubling my rate plan
    >> >to get unlimited data, which I don't need, I did not quality for a
    >> >subsidized unit, I got an unlocked one directly from Palm US - for
    >> >$399, and I did qualify for a trade-up rebate of $125, for a final cost
    >> >of $274 (I'm now just waiting on the rebate check).

    >> How is the 680?

    >I like it. It's a nice upgrade from the 650, and I would then presume
    >it's a great upgrade from the 600. The biggest issue is that the
    >battery meter isn't accurate out of the box, it needs to be trained.

    How is the battery life vs the 650? Do you use any push email clients
    or anything that runs in the background? (ChatterEmail, for example)?

    --
    Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist,
    but a person who drives a race car isn't called a racist?

  3. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > How is the battery life vs the 650? Do you use any push email clients
    > or anything that runs in the background? (ChatterEmail, for example)?

    It is a smaller battery, so overall charge-times will be less (1200
    mAh). No, I don't use any such background apps. I'll check my email
    (with Versamail) once in a blue moon from my Treo. No phone or PDA has
    the storage I require for me to even consider using it to replace my
    media player, so you can scratch PTunes off the list, too.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #25. I will never travel back into
    the past in order to prevent the current situation. It never works.

  4. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> How is the battery life vs the 650? Do you use any push email clients
    >> or anything that runs in the background? (ChatterEmail, for example)?

    >It is a smaller battery, so overall charge-times will be less (1200
    >mAh). No, I don't use any such background apps. I'll check my email
    >(with Versamail) once in a blue moon from my Treo.

    Honestly, without IMAP, I doubt I'd ever check mail on my Treo either.
    I've become a bit of an addict since I got push email on my Treo (IMAP)

    However, I don't mind carrying a spare battery, and it's rare I'm away
    from a charger more then a day anyway. I was fine on the Treo 650
    factory battery, Seidio is claiming they have a 680 battery with the
    capacity of the 650's factory battery, so I just might do it.

    >No phone or PDA has
    >the storage I require for me to even consider using it to replace my
    >media player, so you can scratch PTunes off the list, too.

    I've never actually plugged headphones into any of my Palms (Zire71,
    TE2, T|X, Treo 650) that supported MP3 playback. Storage isn't really
    an issue, I had a 4GB MuVu^2 for a long time, it just doesn't seem like
    a good use of the Palm somehow.

    I think I'm gonna do it, just have to research if I can get it unlocked
    easily or not (if so, I'll go with a carrier subsidized version, if not
    then direct from Palm -- I can probably get more then $125USD for my
    Treo 650 locally)

    --
    When you're arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing.

  5. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    > I think I'm gonna do it, just have to research if I can get it unlocked
    > easily or not (if so, I'll go with a carrier subsidized version, if not
    > then direct from Palm -- I can probably get more then $125USD for my
    > Treo 650 locally)

    Well, ¤121 /is/ more than $125. It's rather $160 :-).
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  6. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    In message <1hrpqfv.10be2mhgt6i0gN%per@RQNNE.invalid> per@RQNNE.invalid
    (Per Rønne) wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >> I think I'm gonna do it, just have to research if I can get it unlocked
    >> easily or not (if so, I'll go with a carrier subsidized version, if not
    >> then direct from Palm -- I can probably get more then $125USD for my
    >> Treo 650 locally)

    >Well, €121 /is/ more than $125. It's rather $160 :-).

    Is that an offer?

    --
    I left the womb for this?

  7. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    > In message <1hrpqfv.10be2mhgt6i0gN%per@RQNNE.invalid> per@RQNNE.invalid
    > (Per Rønne) wrote:
    >
    > >DevilsPGD wrote:
    > >
    > >> I think I'm gonna do it, just have to research if I can get it unlocked
    > >> easily or not (if so, I'll go with a carrier subsidized version, if not
    > >> then direct from Palm -- I can probably get more then $125USD for my
    > >> Treo 650 locally)

    > >Well, •121 /is/ more than $125. It's rather $160 :-).

    > Is that an offer?

    No, but that is what I gave for my Treo 650 a month ago:

    Message-ID <1hrlgnr.4sgk6317vk5tgN%per@RQNNE.invalid>

    I just thought you didn't know of the difference between €1 and $1. Or
    can't your newsreader handle the euro char?
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  8. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >It is a smaller battery, so overall charge-times will be less (1200
    > >mAh). No, I don't use any such background apps. I'll check my email
    > >(with Versamail) once in a blue moon from my Treo.

    > Honestly, without IMAP, I doubt I'd ever check mail on my Treo either.

    I use IMAP from the Treo, when I use email at all from it, because of
    the data usage and so I don't screw up what I can later retrieve via my
    desktop.

    > However, I don't mind carrying a spare battery, and it's rare I'm away
    > from a charger more then a day anyway. I was fine on the Treo 650

    With the 650, I could easily go for an overnight trip somewhere and not
    bring a charger with me. I'm not quite that comfortable - yet - with
    the battery in the 680, but almost. I'm running a combined test and
    meter calibration right now... it's been about 20 hours or so since I
    last had it on a charger and it's reporting I still have 43% charge
    left.

    > factory battery, Seidio is claiming they have a 680 battery with the
    > capacity of the 650's factory battery, so I just might do it.

    It's a physically larger battery. It comes with a larger battery cover
    that humps out the back of the 680. And to add further insult to
    aesthetic injury, said cover is in graphite only - it won't color match
    an unlocked unit.

    > I've never actually plugged headphones into any of my Palms (Zire71,
    > TE2, T|X, Treo 650) that supported MP3 playback. Storage isn't really
    > an issue, I had a 4GB MuVu^2 for a long time, it just doesn't seem like
    > a good use of the Palm somehow.

    +If+ I could get a single storage medium of more than 20GB (30 or more
    by preference), then I would certainly at least test it out. Right
    now, I use a Creative Zen Vision:M (30GB) for portable media. The main
    place I use it is in my car. So in my car, I currently have my Zen, an
    FM transmitter (no tape deck, no aux input) and my Treo plugged into
    power (the radar detector is hard-wired). If I could use the Treo for
    media, that'd simplify my power cord wiring.

    > I think I'm gonna do it, just have to research if I can get it unlocked
    > easily or not (if so, I'll go with a carrier subsidized version, if not

    Cingular, the only US carrier with the 680, probably won't unlock it
    immediately. And to get the subsidized price, you'll be required to
    get an unlimited data plan at $40/month. If this is not a problem for
    you, then go for it. If you do not want that data plan, it'll be $50
    cheaper to order an unlocked one from Palm directly than to get the
    locked one from Cingular.

    Plus, Palm may still have the music pack offer available, stereo hybrid
    headset, 1GB MMC, and PTunes Pro/Deluxe/whatever.

    > then direct from Palm -- I can probably get more then $125USD for my
    > Treo 650 locally)

    You might want to be sure first... OTOH, if the trade-up offer is
    still valid, you'd have some time after ordering to sign up for it.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to
    achieve it through not dying." Woody Allen

  9. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    In message <1hrpvev.1nh7ua71vme5xpN%per@RQNNE.invalid> per@RQNNE.invalid
    (Per Rønne) wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >> In message <1hrpqfv.10be2mhgt6i0gN%per@RQNNE.invalid> per@RQNNE.invalid
    >> (Per Rønne) wrote:

    >> >Well, •121 /is/ more than $125. It's rather $160 :-).

    >> Is that an offer?

    >No, but that is what I gave for my Treo 650 a month ago:
    >
    >Message-ID <1hrlgnr.4sgk6317vk5tgN%per@RQNNE.invalid>
    >
    >I just thought you didn't know of the difference between €1 and $1. Or
    >can't your newsreader handle the euro char?

    It cannot, but I recognized it anyway

    My $125USD figure was based on the now-expired Palm buy-back offer when
    upgrading from the 650 to 680.

    --
    Never try to extort more than it would cost to have you killed.

  10. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> >It is a smaller battery, so overall charge-times will be less (1200
    >> >mAh). No, I don't use any such background apps. I'll check my email
    >> >(with Versamail) once in a blue moon from my Treo.

    >> Honestly, without IMAP, I doubt I'd ever check mail on my Treo either.

    >I use IMAP from the Treo, when I use email at all from it, because of
    >the data usage and so I don't screw up what I can later retrieve via my
    >desktop.

    Ouch. Versamail is pretty bad at IMAP

    >> However, I don't mind carrying a spare battery, and it's rare I'm away
    >> from a charger more then a day anyway. I was fine on the Treo 650

    >With the 650, I could easily go for an overnight trip somewhere and not
    >bring a charger with me. I'm not quite that comfortable - yet - with
    >the battery in the 680, but almost. I'm running a combined test and
    >meter calibration right now... it's been about 20 hours or so since I
    >last had it on a charger and it's reporting I still have 43% charge
    >left.

    I'm curious as to if the calibration makes a difference, please post the
    results when you're done.

    >> factory battery, Seidio is claiming they have a 680 battery with the
    >> capacity of the 650's factory battery, so I just might do it.

    >It's a physically larger battery. It comes with a larger battery cover
    >that humps out the back of the 680. And to add further insult to
    >aesthetic injury, said cover is in graphite only - it won't color match
    >an unlocked unit.

    The one that is out today is -- However, they're reportedly not far from
    offering a standard size one with the 650's factory capacity.

    On the plus side, I don't use the camera, IR, and I keep the backlight
    down (And on my 650, the keyboard backlight off completely most of the
    time -- Can the 680 do that?), and have reasonably decent reception.

    Plus when I'm at home, I have a cradle so my 650 spends most of it's day
    with power anyway. It's rare that I'm away for more then a few hours
    without my laptop (meaning I can recharge) anyway.

    I'm still rather surprised at Palm over this one though, battery life is
    so critical for a smartphone.

    >> I've never actually plugged headphones into any of my Palms (Zire71,
    >> TE2, T|X, Treo 650) that supported MP3 playback. Storage isn't really
    >> an issue, I had a 4GB MuVu^2 for a long time, it just doesn't seem like
    >> a good use of the Palm somehow.

    >+If+ I could get a single storage medium of more than 20GB (30 or more
    >by preference), then I would certainly at least test it out. Right
    >now, I use a Creative Zen Vision:M (30GB) for portable media. The main
    >place I use it is in my car. So in my car, I currently have my Zen, an
    >FM transmitter (no tape deck, no aux input) and my Treo plugged into
    >power (the radar detector is hard-wired). If I could use the Treo for
    >media, that'd simplify my power cord wiring.

    I'm on a Zen Vision:M 30GB too, great player. However, I'd hazard a
    guess that you rarely listen to more then 4GB of per day, so if push
    came to shove, you could make it work.

    Now if only the docking station for the Vision:M series was reasonably
    priced.

    >> I think I'm gonna do it, just have to research if I can get it unlocked
    >> easily or not (if so, I'll go with a carrier subsidized version, if not

    >Cingular, the only US carrier with the 680, probably won't unlock it
    >immediately. And to get the subsidized price, you'll be required to
    >get an unlimited data plan at $40/month. If this is not a problem for
    >you, then go for it. If you do not want that data plan, it'll be $50
    >cheaper to order an unlocked one from Palm directly than to get the
    >locked one from Cingular.
    >
    >Plus, Palm may still have the music pack offer available, stereo hybrid
    >headset, 1GB MMC, and PTunes Pro/Deluxe/whatever.

    I'm not in the US... I'm looking at $299CDN ($250USD) to purchase the
    Palm, no commitments other then a 13 month extension on my existing
    contract.

    >> then direct from Palm -- I can probably get more then $125USD for my
    >> Treo 650 locally)

    >You might want to be sure first... OTOH, if the trade-up offer is
    >still valid, you'd have some time after ordering to sign up for it.

    They're going on eBay for $175CDN-$240CDN +shipping, which is more then
    the $125USD ($146CAD) I'd get for the trade-in (Oh, and technically the
    trade-in is only valid in the US. I don't let things like that stop me
    since I have a business address in the US but it's another minor hassle
    to doing a trade in)

    --
    Proof that evolution CAN go in reverse

  11. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >I use IMAP from the Treo, when I use email at all from it, because of
    > >the data usage and so I don't screw up what I can later retrieve via my
    > >desktop.

    > Ouch. Versamail is pretty bad at IMAP

    It works. I don't know about folder implementations, but I don't use
    'em anyway. I use it because I know I can get just the basic headers
    (From, Subject, Date) of the email, and then only the bodies for
    messages I want to see and leave everything else on the server. Saves
    me on the data rate. And I don't use it often enough to justify
    getting anything better when what's better is not freeware.

    > >bring a charger with me. I'm not quite that comfortable - yet - with
    > >the battery in the 680, but almost. I'm running a combined test and
    > >meter calibration right now... it's been about 20 hours or so since I
    > >last had it on a charger and it's reporting I still have 43% charge
    > >left.

    > I'm curious as to if the calibration makes a difference, please post the
    > results when you're done.

    Ok. Battery meter now says 34% charge left, and it's been used in the
    past 2 1/2 hours, so a 9% drop isn't unreasonable.

    > >It's a physically larger battery. It comes with a larger battery cover
    > >that humps out the back of the 680. And to add further insult to
    > >aesthetic injury, said cover is in graphite only - it won't color match
    > >an unlocked unit.

    > The one that is out today is -- However, they're reportedly not far from
    > offering a standard size one with the 650's factory capacity.

    OH! That, I was unaware of. That one, I'd get.

    > On the plus side, I don't use the camera, IR, and I keep the backlight
    > down (And on my 650, the keyboard backlight off completely most of the
    > time -- Can the 680 do that?), and have reasonably decent reception.

    Oh, thanks for reminding me... there apparently is a bug in the camera
    software that doesn't completely shut it down when you exit the
    camera... if you do use the camera on the 680, do a soft reset when
    you're done... but I don't use the camera either. I've even gone so
    far as to put the camera app icon in a hidden launcher category.

    Backlight: It's brighter on the 680 than the 650. Whether it's truly
    brighter, or if it just seems that way because of a better screen, I
    don't know. But the upshot is that I can keep the brightness down
    lower on the 680 for the same readability. And I think the screen may
    actually be transreflexive, as unlike the 650, it was readable in
    semi-direct sunlight with the backlight all the way down.

    I discovered that last bit by accident... I turn the brightness down at
    night and forgot to turn it up again in the morning. Went outside,
    took out the Treo and used it.

    > Plus when I'm at home, I have a cradle so my 650 spends most of it's day
    > with power anyway. It's rare that I'm away for more then a few hours
    > without my laptop (meaning I can recharge) anyway.

    I have a cradle at my desk, a charge cable by my bed, and a charge
    cable in my car. I'm rarely more than an hour or so away from a
    charger, myself.

    > I'm still rather surprised at Palm over this one though, battery life is
    > so critical for a smartphone.

    People have been pestering them for a more svelte design. "Lose the
    external antenna". "Make it slimmer". "Put the cards inside the
    casing". Put all of that together and suddenly you're short on space.
    Gotta compromise somewhere, I guess.

    Consider ourselves lucky.. the 750w is so tight on internal space that
    not only does that one have a smaller battery (same as the 680), but a
    +miniSD+ card instead of the full-size SD we have. It just didn't have
    enough space in the case for a full-size SD slot.

    > I'm on a Zen Vision:M 30GB too, great player. However, I'd hazard a
    > guess that you rarely listen to more then 4GB of per day, so if push
    > came to shove, you could make it work.

    Not the way I listen to my music. I want my entire collection on
    random play. Currently, my entire collection is just shy of 15GB. And,
    of course, I'll want to also keep Palm apps and data on the card.

    > Now if only the docking station for the Vision:M series was reasonably
    > priced.

    If only the V:M had a power jack IN THE UNIT, instead of needing a
    separate docking adapter. If only it didn't default to "Auto" on the
    video-out... meaning it turns off the display when connected to the
    docking adapter unless you change that setting...

    > I'm not in the US... I'm looking at $299CDN ($250USD) to purchase the
    > Palm, no commitments other then a 13 month extension on my existing
    > contract.

    A contract extension, I could have lived with.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "We need an energy bill that encourages consumption." - George W. Bush,
    Sep 23, 2002

  12. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > I'm curious as to if the calibration makes a difference, please post the
    > results when you're done.

    With light use of the phone and moderate use of the PDA, including
    having the BT radio on all the time and doing a hotsync via BT instead
    of the cradle (which took a half hour because it's set to backup the
    expansion card), it took approximately 36 hours for the battery to go
    flat. Note that this was not a test to see how long it could go, I
    wasn't trying to flatten the battery!

    As for the meter calibration, it will probably take another couple of
    days to really tell if it worked or not.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #158.
    I will exchange the labels on my folder of top-secret plans and my
    folder of family recipes. Imagine the hero's surprise when he decodes
    the stolen plans and finds instructions for Grandma's Potato Salad.

  13. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> I'm curious as to if the calibration makes a difference, please post the
    >> results when you're done.

    >With light use of the phone and moderate use of the PDA, including
    >having the BT radio on all the time and doing a hotsync via BT instead
    >of the cradle (which took a half hour because it's set to backup the
    >expansion card), it took approximately 36 hours for the battery to go
    >flat. Note that this was not a test to see how long it could go, I
    >wasn't trying to flatten the battery!
    >
    >As for the meter calibration, it will probably take another couple of
    >days to really tell if it worked or not.

    Good enough for me, I'm putting it on my shopping list

    --
    It's like the time that your cat snowball got run over.
    Remember honey? So what I'm saying is, all we have to

  14. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >>

    >It works. I don't know about folder implementations, but I don't use
    >'em anyway. I use it because I know I can get just the basic headers
    >(From, Subject, Date) of the email, and then only the bodies for
    >messages I want to see and leave everything else on the server. Saves
    >me on the data rate. And I don't use it often enough to justify
    >getting anything better when what's better is not freeware.

    Fair enough.

    >> >It's a physically larger battery. It comes with a larger battery cover
    >> >that humps out the back of the 680. And to add further insult to
    >> >aesthetic injury, said cover is in graphite only - it won't color match
    >> >an unlocked unit.

    >> The one that is out today is -- However, they're reportedly not far from
    >> offering a standard size one with the 650's factory capacity.

    >OH! That, I was unaware of. That one, I'd get.

    It hasn't been released yet, but I've heard the rumour in multiple
    places. We'll find out.

    >Oh, thanks for reminding me... there apparently is a bug in the camera
    >software that doesn't completely shut it down when you exit the
    >camera... if you do use the camera on the 680, do a soft reset when
    >you're done... but I don't use the camera either. I've even gone so
    >far as to put the camera app icon in a hidden launcher category.

    Yup, sounds like the way to go. I hadn't heard about this one either,
    thanks for the info!

    >Backlight: It's brighter on the 680 than the 650. Whether it's truly
    >brighter, or if it just seems that way because of a better screen, I
    >don't know. But the upshot is that I can keep the brightness down
    >lower on the 680 for the same readability. And I think the screen may
    >actually be transreflexive, as unlike the 650, it was readable in
    >semi-direct sunlight with the backlight all the way down.

    Sweet!

    >I discovered that last bit by accident... I turn the brightness down at
    >night and forgot to turn it up again in the morning. Went outside,
    >took out the Treo and used it.

    I've run into trouble reading my 650 a couple times. Almost wished I
    had a m505 handy. Almost.

    >> I'm still rather surprised at Palm over this one though, battery life is
    >> so critical for a smartphone.

    >People have been pestering them for a more svelte design. "Lose the
    >external antenna". "Make it slimmer". "Put the cards inside the
    >casing". Put all of that together and suddenly you're short on space.
    >Gotta compromise somewhere, I guess.
    >
    >Consider ourselves lucky.. the 750w is so tight on internal space that
    >not only does that one have a smaller battery (same as the 680), but a
    >+miniSD+ card instead of the full-size SD we have. It just didn't have
    >enough space in the case for a full-size SD slot.

    Well... They could drop the camera, lose the headset jack, and make the
    whole thing 5mm taller, that would give more then enough room for a 650
    battery (and if engineered right, maintain compatibility for those of us
    who already invested in extra batteries for the 650)

    >> I'm on a Zen Vision:M 30GB too, great player. However, I'd hazard a
    >> guess that you rarely listen to more then 4GB of per day, so if push
    >> came to shove, you could make it work.

    >Not the way I listen to my music. I want my entire collection on
    >random play. Currently, my entire collection is just shy of 15GB. And,
    >of course, I'll want to also keep Palm apps and data on the card.

    Sure, but if you took out 3.6GB of music randomly in the morning, and
    set it on random, would you notice the difference between that and
    having your whole collection with you?

    One more thing to do, mind you...

    My collection is creeping on 100GB (admittedly virtually all of it is
    averaging between 256 and 320 kbps VBR), so I'm still taking a subset of
    my collection with me. It is nice having several different moods worth
    of full albums though.

    >> Now if only the docking station for the Vision:M series was reasonably
    >> priced.

    >If only the V:M had a power jack IN THE UNIT, instead of needing a
    >separate docking adapter. If only it didn't default to "Auto" on the
    >video-out... meaning it turns off the display when connected to the
    >docking adapter unless you change that setting...

    hah, yeah well... Palm too, could include a more standard power jack.

    For the Vision:M, I believe you can get a power cable that doesn't need
    the docking adapter.

    >> I'm not in the US... I'm looking at $299CDN ($250USD) to purchase the
    >> Palm, no commitments other then a 13 month extension on my existing
    >> contract.

    >A contract extension, I could have lived with.

    Me too

    --
    It's like the time that your cat snowball got run over.
    Remember honey? So what I'm saying is, all we have to
    do is go down to the pound and get a new jazz man.
    -- Homer Simpsons

  15. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >Consider ourselves lucky.. the 750w is so tight on internal space that
    > >not only does that one have a smaller battery (same as the 680), but a
    > >+miniSD+ card instead of the full-size SD we have. It just didn't have
    > >enough space in the case for a full-size SD slot.

    > Well... They could drop the camera, lose the headset jack, and make the
    > whole thing 5mm taller, that would give more then enough room for a 650
    > battery (and if engineered right, maintain compatibility for those of us
    > who already invested in extra batteries for the 650)

    Yes to dropping the camera (why do the WinMob Treos have better
    cameras?), no to making it taller, and not only "no" to losing the
    headset jack, add another one: move the current one for wired headsets
    to the top, under a rubber plug and replace the current one with a
    standard stereo mini jack for adapter-less stereo headphones/FM
    xmitters/cassette adapters.

    > >Not the way I listen to my music. I want my entire collection on
    > >random play. Currently, my entire collection is just shy of 15GB. And,
    > >of course, I'll want to also keep Palm apps and data on the card.

    > Sure, but if you took out 3.6GB of music randomly in the morning, and
    > set it on random, would you notice the difference between that and
    > having your whole collection with you?

    Yes, because that means I'd have to generate the random selection and
    sync it.

    I gave up on such work arounds when I started collating my 13th MP3-CD.

    > My collection is creeping on 100GB (admittedly virtually all of it is
    > averaging between 256 and 320 kbps VBR), so I'm still taking a subset of

    Mine's at 128 or 192k CBR. Mostly MP3s, but I've recently switched to
    WMA for new additions.

    > my collection with me. It is nice having several different moods worth
    > of full albums though.

    I use genre selections for that.

    > hah, yeah well... Palm too, could include a more standard power jack.
    >
    > For the Vision:M, I believe you can get a power cable that doesn't need
    > the docking adapter.

    Where? the only one I was able to find is from Creative and it
    requires a dock or dock adapter.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #122.
    The gun turrets on my fortress will not rotate enough so that they may
    direct fire inward or at each other.

  16. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >Yes to dropping the camera (why do the WinMob Treos have better
    >cameras?), no to making it taller, and not only "no" to losing the
    >headset jack, add another one: move the current one for wired headsets
    >to the top, under a rubber plug and replace the current one with a
    >standard stereo mini jack for adapter-less stereo headphones/FM
    >xmitters/cassette adapters.

    A VGA camera just doesn't do anything for me -- If Palm could include
    something in the 2Mp range, I'd be interested, but otherwise, why
    bother?

    Having held both, I rather like the Blackberry form factor, it's just a
    same the built-in email capabilities are so poor.

    Personally, I wonder if Palm wouldn't be better served using industry
    standard connectors on the bottom, rather then their proprietary one
    plus the audio jack.

    >Mine's at 128 or 192k CBR. Mostly MP3s, but I've recently switched to
    >WMA for new additions.

    My condolences.

    >> my collection with me. It is nice having several different moods worth
    >> of full albums though.

    >I use genre selections for that.

    I don't find genres to be flexible enough. The various Metallica
    albums, for example, are all roughly the same genre, but have very
    different moods to them.

    P.S., Lars: Yes I downloaded them. Blow me.

    >> For the Vision:M, I believe you can get a power cable that doesn't need
    >> the docking adapter.

    >Where? the only one I was able to find is from Creative and it
    >requires a dock or dock adapter.

    http://search.ebay.ca/140073326085

  17. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >Mine's at 128 or 192k CBR. Mostly MP3s, but I've recently switched to
    > >WMA for new additions.

    > My condolences.

    wma has better sound quality, and both my desktop and portable support
    it. I dropped to 128k when I filled up my prior portable player (15G)
    with less than 2,500 tracks.

    > >> For the Vision:M, I believe you can get a power cable that doesn't need
    > >> the docking adapter.

    > >Where? the only one I was able to find is from Creative and it
    > >requires a dock or dock adapter.

    > http://search.ebay.ca/140073326085

    That one ended, but I saw another with the car charger and a silicon
    case about to end with no bids... thanks!

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Yes, I have seen the info on the new Apple iPhone. I'm not interested.
    Stop bugging me about it.

  18. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >wma has better sound quality, and both my desktop and portable support
    >it. I dropped to 128k when I filled up my prior portable player (15G)
    >with less than 2,500 tracks.

    >> >Where? the only one I was able to find is from Creative and it
    >> >requires a dock or dock adapter.

    >> http://search.ebay.ca/140073326085

    >That one ended, but I saw another with the car charger and a silicon
    >case about to end with no bids... thanks!

    Did you get it? If not, I might be tricked into buying one of the
    3-charger kits (House, USB, car) and shipping you the car charger (I
    have no use for it -- I'd rather get a car-USB-power-adapter and use the
    USB cable)

    --
    Study reveals half the country has below-average intelligence.

  19. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >That one ended, but I saw another with the car charger and a silicon
    > >case about to end with no bids... thanks!

    > Did you get it? If not, I might be tricked into buying one of the
    > 3-charger kits (House, USB, car) and shipping you the car charger (I
    > have no use for it -- I'd rather get a car-USB-power-adapter and use the
    > USB cable)

    I got it. It was at 2 minutes when I found it with zero bids. I don't
    need the house charger or USB cable, I'm using a Creative cradle for
    the house. I just wanted to get rid of that brick of a car charger
    that requires the dock adapter.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Yes, I have seen the info on the new Apple iPhone. I'm not interested.
    Stop bugging me about it.

  20. Re: Two questions about PDA phones - Smart Phones

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> >That one ended, but I saw another with the car charger and a silicon
    >> >case about to end with no bids... thanks!

    >> Did you get it? If not, I might be tricked into buying one of the
    >> 3-charger kits (House, USB, car) and shipping you the car charger (I
    >> have no use for it -- I'd rather get a car-USB-power-adapter and use the
    >> USB cable)

    >I got it. It was at 2 minutes when I found it with zero bids. I don't
    >need the house charger or USB cable, I'm using a Creative cradle for
    >the house. I just wanted to get rid of that brick of a car charger
    >that requires the dock adapter.

    I have a creative one for the house, but my girlfriend doesn't, so I'm
    thinking about getting it for her.

    I'll use the USB one myself, so I don't have to carry the stupid dock
    around in my laptop bag and I can still recharge on the go.

    --
    The preceding post may have contained foul language,
    and should not have been read by young children.