Zire 31 battery replacement - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Zire 31 battery replacement - Palmtop ; My wife's Zire 31 is showing a 50% reduction in time between charges. The battery is aging, and before deciding to replace the PDA I'd like to give a try at a cheap replacement battery from one of the sellers ...

  1. Zire 31 battery replacement

    My wife's Zire 31 is showing a 50% reduction in time between charges. The
    battery is aging, and before deciding to replace the PDA I'd like to give
    a try at a cheap replacement battery from one of the sellers on eBay.

    I understand these models aren't designed for user replacement of the
    battery, but I assume it can be done. I've done this sort of thing before
    and, looking from the outside, can say that I at least have a screwdriver
    that fits the rear case screws.

    Beyond that ... is there anywhere on the net that gives hints or
    step-by-step replacmenent instructions? I've googled but can't find
    anything.

  2. Re: Zire 31 battery replacement

    I just googled for "palm parts battery zire 31" and got a bunch of sites
    with miscellaneous parts and batteries too... I presume something there
    would be good for you.

    "Mike S." wrote in message

    > My wife's Zire 31 is showing a 50% reduction in time between charges. The
    > battery is aging, and before deciding to replace the PDA I'd like to give
    > a try at a cheap replacement battery from one of the sellers on eBay.
    >
    > I understand these models aren't designed for user replacement of the
    > battery, but I assume it can be done. I've done this sort of thing before
    > and, looking from the outside, can say that I at least have a screwdriver
    > that fits the rear case screws.
    >
    > Beyond that ... is there anywhere on the net that gives hints or
    > step-by-step replacmenent instructions? I've googled but can't find
    > anything.

  3. Re: Zire 31 battery replacement

    although the first battery I looked at was $79 (Canadian) - OUCH

    "Kerry Liles" wrote in message
    >I just googled for "palm parts battery zire 31" and got a bunch of sites
    >with miscellaneous parts and batteries too... I presume something there
    >would be good for you.
    >

    > "Mike S." wrote in message

  4. Re: Zire 31 battery replacement

    In article <4vih72F1cct4nU1@mid.individual.net>,
    Kerry Liles wrote:

    >"Mike S." wrote in message
    >>

    >> My wife's Zire 31 is showing a 50% reduction in time between charges. The
    >> battery is aging, and before deciding to replace the PDA I'd like to give
    >> a try at a cheap replacement battery from one of the sellers on eBay.
    >>
    >> I understand these models aren't designed for user replacement of the
    >> battery, but I assume it can be done. I've done this sort of thing before
    >> and, looking from the outside, can say that I at least have a screwdriver
    >> that fits the rear case screws.
    >>
    >> Beyond that ... is there anywhere on the net that gives hints or
    >> step-by-step replacmenent instructions? I've googled but can't find
    >> anything.
    >>

    >I just googled for "palm parts battery zire 31" and got a bunch of sites
    >with miscellaneous parts and batteries too... I presume something there
    >would be good for you.

    Thanks ... but as I indicated in my original posting, it's the disassembly
    and reassembly instructions that I can't find.

  5. Re: Zire 31 battery replacement

    Mike S. wrote:

    > In article <4vih72F1cct4nU1@mid.individual.net>,
    > Kerry Liles wrote:
    >>
    >>"Mike S." wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> My wife's Zire 31 is showing a 50% reduction in time between charges.
    >>> The battery is aging, and before deciding to replace the PDA I'd like to
    >>> give a try at a cheap replacement battery from one of the sellers on
    >>> eBay.
    >>>
    >>> I understand these models aren't designed for user replacement of the
    >>> battery, but I assume it can be done. I've done this sort of thing
    >>> before and, looking from the outside, can say that I at least have a
    >>> screwdriver that fits the rear case screws.
    >>>
    >>> Beyond that ... is there anywhere on the net that gives hints or
    >>> step-by-step replacmenent instructions? I've googled but can't find
    >>> anything.
    >>>

    >>I just googled for "palm parts battery zire 31" and got a bunch of sites
    >>with miscellaneous parts and batteries too... I presume something there
    >>would be good for you.

    > Thanks ... but as I indicated in my original posting, it's the disassembly
    > and reassembly instructions that I can't find.

    Remove the screws. Click the Palm apart. Solder the old battery out or
    remove the connector. Insert the new battery and solder if needed. The only
    important thing is the get the polarity right. You know, the red wire where
    the red wire used to be and the black wire where the black wire used to be.
    Reassemble and charge.

    If you want pictures and stuff, search for any old battery replacement
    guide. They all look the same inside. Except the Zire 71 with the slider
    and all.

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

  6. Re: Zire 31 battery replacement

    In article <459424db$1$143$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk>,
    Lasse Jensen wrote:
    >Mike S. wrote:
    >

    >> In article <4vih72F1cct4nU1@mid.individual.net>,
    >> Kerry Liles wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"Mike S." wrote in message

    >>>I just googled for "palm parts battery zire 31" and got a bunch of sites
    >>>with miscellaneous parts and batteries too... I presume something there
    >>>would be good for you.

    >> Thanks ... but as I indicated in my original posting, it's the disassembly
    >> and reassembly instructions that I can't find.

    >Remove the screws. Click the Palm apart. Solder the old battery out or
    >remove the connector.

    When you remove the back cover, is the battery fully exposed and in plain
    sight? Is further disassembly required to remove it?

  7. Re: Zire 31 battery replacement

    Mike S. wrote:

    > In article <459424db$1$143$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk>,
    > Lasse Jensen wrote:
    >>Mike S. wrote:

    >>> Thanks ... but as I indicated in my original posting, it's the
    >>> disassembly and reassembly instructions that I can't find.

    >>Remove the screws. Click the Palm apart. Solder the old battery out or
    >>remove the connector.

    > When you remove the back cover, is the battery fully exposed and in plain
    > sight? Is further disassembly required to remove it?

    It should be on the backside of the PCB. But why don't you see for yourself.
    Taking stuff apart is fun and educational ;-)

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

  8. Re: Zire 31 battery replacement

    In article <45958743$0$138$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk>,
    Lasse Jensen wrote:
    >Mike S. wrote:
    >

    >> In article <459424db$1$143$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk>,
    >> Lasse Jensen wrote:

    >>>Remove the screws. Click the Palm apart. Solder the old battery out or
    >>>remove the connector.

    >> When you remove the back cover, is the battery fully exposed and in plain
    >> sight? Is further disassembly required to remove it?

    >It should be on the backside of the PCB. But why don't you see for yourself.
    >Taking stuff apart is fun and educational ;-)

    Well, my wife finally brought the Z31 home and I had a go at it.
    The replacement battery is labelled for the "55XX" series; but it's the
    right size. It has a tiny connector on the end of the leads, but the Z31's
    battery is soldered (and glued) in place. I pried it gently off the PCB
    using a credit card size piece of plastic, and soldered the new battery in
    place.

    I had a heckuva time reassembling it. I checked that it worked, and it
    did, and then upon snapping the case shut the touch screen was dead. Or
    sometimes only the top half was dead. I must have done it 15 times,
    finally reassembling it from the front rather than the back, checking the
    digitizer still registered as I snapped each and every snap. Finally I got
    it right ... I'd rather not do that again.

    The battery is charging now so I can't say if it will deliver the expected
    battery life, but probbaly at least it's better than the dying one my wife
    was using.

+ Reply to Thread